That's the longest one I've ever seen (RE-TVC Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Plat wrote: Phunt Your Friends - here is my own interpretation of this track.
That was totally awesome.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

AW Plat my friend! Ashok Henley et al can be heard HERE. The track shortened to "The Vishnu Cycle," but I bet you could have figured that out.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

mike - this is pretty cool. the voice needs to be mixed more exciting.

frankie - classic. i like the voices. this low guitar at 1:40 is oddly compelling. great background vox/foreground combos. i like the vox. did i mention the vox? i think they're especially good on this song. the "vishnu" ending is great.

caravan - good bass. i like the ethnicity feel. this may be the best one at bringing that element into the fight. not sure about it as a song, but it's definitely worth listening to.

zombie - did you know there's a jazz butcher song called "zombie love"? it's pretty strange. this is strange too. the vox are against each other, not with. music is interesting, but probably needs to change more.

charcoal - nice opening. hmm, this is pretty cool. however, i don't see any title significance. at 3:40 i'm wondering where it's going. good, but why is it called... that?

beefy - the intro stuff is ok. impressed that you sing that thing and it sounds all right. i dunno, the vox aren't doing it for me. the mix isn't that great.

meddling - another interesting instrumental that seems to have no relation to the title.

melvin - ah, the famous one. reminds me of something. hey, this is pretty good. sublime, maybe? dunno. anyway, i like it but i won't vote for it.

glenn - first time i heard this i was impressed at singing the title. good work! i love the backwards bit at the end after the fast vox.

ashok - i think there's some interesting stuff around 1:20. i think the quality of this stuff is definitely improving over time. so good work there. this should be around 3:30.

jimt - the beat is good. the vox lack intensity. 1:16 beat is great. weirdo.

mostly - good stuff! the piano coming in w/ vox is a great part. crazy solo, that's awesome.

bomb - where's that cut and paste... there we go: another interesting instrumental that seems to have no relation to the title.

max - "what is this crap" hmmmmm. did you not like your own song? i like how you seem to forget what you're singing later. but that intro part was too long.

phunt - it's rambly and unfocused. there are interesting ideas, but they don't work together. and the title significance; i know you say it's there, but if we can't hear it while listening it's not really a successful songfight. you're completely lost at 6:30. where did you go? nobody knows. i haven't had the chance to listen to the other parts so i can't comment on them.

favorites: mike, frankie, melvin, glenn, mostly
runnersup: caravan, zombie, charcoal, ashok, meddling, bomb

i'm gonna vote for frankie, and not because the name sounds like a cool word: phalanges.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Got it!

Ashok Henley and the Phunt Family - The intro vox remind me of an in-tune [The] Frogs effort, except strangely everything is a lot closer to the right pitch. A bit Pearl-Jam-experimental-y in parts. Your exotic style tied me up to a tall fiery pole I can't escape from. And I even heard Vishnu's name in here. I'm missing the rest of the title connection, but I don't mind. The vocals are just awesome, and the drum/stick percussion stellar. Feels like I should be trying to shake demons from my head. Also feels like Caravan Ray should have his name on this track. But whatever. This is good work, I'm sorry to have missed it on the first pass.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

HeuristicsInc wrote: i don't see any title significance. at 3:40 i'm wondering where it's going. good, but why is it called... that?

another interesting instrumental that seems to have no relation to the title.

where's that cut and paste... there we go: another interesting instrumental that seems to have no relation to the title.

there are interesting ideas, but they don't work together. and the title significance;
Instrumentals need titles too, and I don't think anyone could realistically argue that they are conceptually tied to the music in most cases. This weeks title was rockopolousaninjananaphone eternal - the vishnu cycle, so that's what we called the tracks. I haven't seen a rule that says no instrumentals, though I empathise with peoples arguments against them on a site called 'Songfight'. I also have no problem with anyone's decision to not vote for said tracks on the basis of them having no lyrics, it's their choice. This week I didn't fancy blighting my track with a less than angelic vocal, so it stayed instrumental.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

of course instrumentals need titles. i write a crapload of instrumentals. just check out most of the songs i've done as improvs, or for tapegerm. they have titles, and it's usually more of an evocative thing rather than a wordful description. but here's the important thing - I DON'T SUBMIT THEM TO SONGFIGHT because the challenge here isn't to make a song, it's to make a song that has this title, and that doesn't mean just slap the title on any old thing. if i can't see how the two relate, i'm gonna ding it in my review and it won't get my vote.
on the other hand, i almost voted for jos's windows song because it totally had that title. if i can hear it in the song, it's valid in my opinion.
this has been discussed a lot. search the forum archives for many myriad opinions on the subject. if you're doing instrumentals here, get used to criticism from many (not necessarily me, given my criteria stated above).
i love instrumentals, but for the most part it isn't what songfight's all about.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I listened to my entry for this fight on my car stereo today and realised that it actually constituted a bit of a milestone in my Songfighting career. It is the first song I've done that hasn't made me wince somewhere because of bad production!

True - its not much of a song - lyricwise it's pretty sad - just a lot of dick jokes and a list of Indian cricket players as a chorus - but compared to what I was entering this time last year ( eg 'les Anchois' or 'Moonshine') the difference in sound quality has impressed the hell out of me.

And I know that it's far from perfect and that AppleLoops(TM) played a large part it it's creation - but I still can't help feeling a sort of warm inner glow about it - or maybe that's the beef vindaloo and half a cask of reisling talking...
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Congrats, Caravan. A while ago, I got out some cassettes of old 4-track recordings, and couldn't believe what muddy little turds they were. But I used to drive around in my car with them cranked, thinking they were the greatest thing. It's nice to realize you've made progress.
hi!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Caravan Ray wrote:And I know that it's far from perfect and that AppleLoops(TM) played a large part it it's creation - but I still can't help feeling a sort of warm inner glow about it - or maybe that's the beef vindaloo and half a cask of reisling talking...
that's like saying you're getting better at picking up women because you've started soliciting prostitutes. :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

blue wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:And I know that it's far from perfect and that AppleLoops(TM) played a large part it it's creation - but I still can't help feeling a sort of warm inner glow about it - or maybe that's the beef vindaloo and half a cask of reisling talking...
that's like saying you're getting better at picking up women because you've started soliciting prostitutes. :D
Yes, with Garageband it's straight stuff only. If you want to do anything weird or kinky you have to pay extra. You can't even do it backwards or speed up during the performance. And a Mac will only go down on you in exceptional circumstances.
deadnettlez
A New Player
Instruments: beatbox throat sing
Recording Method: arrdoor
Submitting as: deadnettlez

Re: That's the longest one I've ever seen (RE-TVC Reviews)

Post by deadnettlez »

So like a decade from now.... This is going to bee on the SONGFIGHT OLDIEZ STATION! Best mixx of the ZERO, TENZ, and TWEENTIEZ....Songfight 99.9!! WSFL