Straight Outta the Science Lab (WHTT Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

State of the State - California

Post by Ross »

Anyone else notice that the Governator included this title in his speech last night?
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

jb wrote:
Gazelles wrote:I just wanted to say that Luke Henley melted my mind. It's seeping out my head right now. How does he get more incredible everytime I hear him?
Perhaps having his head shoved up your ass helps.
Wait...what?
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

You can shit on me, JB, but please don't shit on my fans. They're mixed up enough as it is.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

hahahahah... god damn, I can't believe how much shit is making me laugh today.. and I don't even know what the heck JB is talking about.

Funny though... considering I haven't read the quoted post yet...

[edit]

Yep. Still funny.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

abcdeeefGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG how many pancakes does it take to fill a phone booth.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

WeaselSlayer wrote:You can shit on me, JB, but please don't shit on my fans. They're mixed up enough as it is.
If you feel shit upon, you probably need to check with Gazelles, not JB.

After all, that's the ass JB thinks you have your head shoved up my man.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i am too lazy to download this week's songs today but i already have these ones, so here are some reviews for y'all. please to enjoy.

Balls To Monte - lovely guitar playing, lovely singing, especially on the chorus. perhaps would have benefitted from one fewer choruses though.

Big Mountain Fudge Cake - seems to emulate the old-school punk sound while lacking the attitude or energy...

Boss McGravity - overall the song is a bit longer than it needs to be, without going in a different direction at some point, or something. overall it sounds pretty well executed although the sameyness of it kind of distracted my attention away from what you are actually talking about.

Caravan Ray - mister ray, i think you are the aussie johnny cashpoint. everything you do is quite distinctive, there's nobody quite like you, and it always turns out interesting. i like the ever-present feedback here (overall we've got a lovely lo-fi joy division flavour), but i'm afraid no matter how hard i try, i can't make out most of the words. chorus is catchy enough to be memorable, though.

Chuck Chuck Moose - with a title like this, i was afraid this would turn into a hugo techno-fest, or at least a crappy-internet-version-of-techno-fest. this song at least is not badly done, and i like the lyrics (if i was writing something, i would probably be leaning towards the 'if we can put a man on the moon...' angle as well). the background voice(s) add a nice dimension to the otherwise monotonous vocal performance. and furthermore i like the band name.

Eclectic Sp00ns - this isn't exactly horrible, but then, you didn't exactly write a song either, did you.

Johnny Cashpoint - you've gotten an electric guitar? or a guest-guitarist? either way.. you get the six million dollar prize.

Jordan Seavers - so at first, i'm thinking, this is the song that won--a lame flaming lips wannabe? but then it gets more interesting, at least. but as it progresses, i'm thinking, well i love future boy and i love carol cleveland sings, but i'm sure if i was listening to a song by each of them simultaneously, i wouldn't be so crazy about that. so, yeah.

Klownhole - the doubled vocals are good when done well and sparingly, but it gets old when it's nearly every single line in the song. i kept waiting for this to explode into a superfast fury explosion throughout the last three minutes, and it never did. kind of anticlimactic, but it kept me hooked through the end. excellent job with the bruce dickinson wailing, higher vocal dude.

Luke Henley - the discordant guitar-playing at the beginning is very disconcerting, producing just the right effect for starting out a song like this. i would have liked for something else to come in sooner in the song, another instrument or something, by about the second refrain... the awful boomy microphone noises, that was a good idea but i think it was a little bit too much, and it didn't really make sense to come in when it did. a little bit sparser, and that would have been a good effect. the guitar-playing just pretty much turned terrible by the end though, sorry.

Mankind - a trombone solo over piano background, this is an awesome concept and i want to love it. really i do. keep working at it...

Melvin - i like the bouncy poppy energy here. the shouted vocals on the chorus also really work. the verses, though, kinda don't work for me; either the delivery or the lyrics make it sound kind of pedestrian and lame. i mean you don't sound all that interested in what you are talking about, like "i know i should be in bed but, blah blah blah etc, whatever".

Phunt Your Friends - is this mad dog (of octothorpe)'s solo band? i liked the way you worked in 'what we need more of is'.

Rio Mondo - have certainly missed you guys all the time you were away.. seems like an improvement over older stuff, even. loved the ending especially.

Ross Durand - thanks for not making this any longer than it is. it sounds great, the singing and everything, and i enjoyed it a lot, and it was just long enough to get your point across without hammering away at it until it got annoying. this way it stays a little more subtle--"we can do these things; we COULD do THESE things if we wanted to; do we want to?"--rather than getting all preachy and whatnot. nice.

Sevateem - loopy electronic stuff is always cooler with samples of somebody speaking german over it. i suppose.

Star Command - this is what i'd expect information society would sound like if the whole band besides the singer quit, and he decided to to the goth-techno route. although it's funny, when that actually happened, it sounded nothing like this.

Steve Durand - i'm digging the intro before the vocals come in. at that point, though, the timing between the guitar and the cymbal and the singing gets thrown way off, and it's really distracting.

The I.P.A. - this song sounds like it would have been a lot of fun to record (sounds like it was written by jack black, actually), but it doesn't sound like it *was* that much fun. that's a major drawback of digital music i guess...

The Ill Cricket Crew - a few clever lines (passwords in morse code, for example), and one decent rapper, but not too much to recommend this one, i'm afraid. the part about bombing iran, i couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or being sarcastically sarcastic, or what.

the end. nobody gets a vote because i'm like four days late or something.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote: Caravan Ray - mister ray, i think you are the aussie johnny cashpoint.
I am suing for defamation of character! :)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
tviyh wrote: Caravan Ray - mister ray, i think you are the aussie johnny cashpoint.
I am suing for defamation of character! :)
"...and in breaking news, a spokesman for Caravan Ray today announced that rumours that the Brisbane-based public servant, songwriter and sex-god is gay are completely unfounded.

In the wake of the rumours, the influential Conference of Catholic Bishops have given Caravan Ray an "O" rating, for morally offensive. His songs have been banned in Utah..."
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Bumping this because I just found out that Pere Ubu actually entered a song for this fight. And it's not late, he did it in the late 80s.

http://www.gramosongs.com/WeHaveTheTechnology.mp3

here's a different version: http://www.gramosongs.com/WeHaveTheTechnology(Live).mp3
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.