...but it turns out it was just indigestion. (ITILY reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
spoken
A New Player

Re: 2nd Batch of Reviews

Post by spoken »

Gemini6Ice wrote:
Jeremy Martin- You are a male (old) Jewel.
old?....im 22. ....unless you mean early jewel music....?
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator
Pronouns: he/him

Re: 2nd Batch of Reviews

Post by Gemini6Ice »

spoken wrote:old?....im 22. ....unless you mean early jewel music....?
Yes, that's what I meant. I.e., not that "Intuition" pop. I probably should have used "early" instead of "old."
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

John Mayer? WTF?! I'd never heard of this assclown until (unfortunately) today tviyh sent me a song of his, and I (unfortunately) listened to it.

Look, people. If you're going to tell me I sound like someone else, please tell me I sound like someone I actually do sound like. Yes, I admit it's a coincidence of mind-bending proportions that he has a song that starts off on a chord kind of sort of similar to a chord that I use in this week's song. After that (and about .5 seconds of his song) the similarities end.

In closing, THANK GOD I don't listen to this bland, saccharine pap.
* this is not a disclaimer
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

sven wrote:John Mayer? WTF?! I'd never heard of this assclown until (unfortunately) today tviyh sent me a song of his, and I (unfortunately) listened to it.

Look, people. If you're going to tell me I sound like someone else, please tell me I sound like someone I actually do sound like. Yes, I admit it's a coincidence of mind-bending proportions that he has a song that starts off on a chord kind of sort of similar to a chord that I use in this week's song. After that (and about .5 seconds of his song) the similarities end.

Assclown is a great word - it should be used a lot more often.
(although personally, I'd spell it arseclown)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

sven wrote:John Mayer? WTF?! I'd never heard of this assclown until (unfortunately) today tviyh sent me a song of his, and I (unfortunately) listened to it.

personally don't think you sound anything like john mayer
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

Poor June wrote:
*hugs poor june*
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

sven wrote:
Poor June wrote:
*hugs poor june*
i only speak the truth *hugs back*

like your stuff alot

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I was going to review this fight - but after listening to it - I won't. There seemed to be a miasma of dullness hanging over the whole affair and none of the songs really grabbed me. Sorry to sound like a complete arseclown - but that's the way I heard it.

If I were to pick a winner it would probably be Poor June. As PJ has acknowledged himself. the recording was pretty shithouse, but I could hear a decent song in there - and the performance was just compelling enough for me to listen to the whole song.

(NB: it is 4:30 Friday arvo and I'm waiting for 5pm to come to get out of the office - maybe that is part of the reason for my inability to like anything here)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Caravan Ray wrote:I was going to review this fight - but after listening to it - I won't. There seemed to be a miasma of dullness hanging over the whole affair and none of the songs really grabbed me. Sorry to sound like a complete arseclown - but that's the way I heard it.
ummm, i think you just reviewed the whole fight
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Caravan Ray wrote:
If I were to pick a winner it would probably be Poor June. As PJ has acknowledged himself. the recording was pretty shithouse, but I could hear a decent song in there - and the performance was just compelling enough for me to listen to the whole song.
uhm... are you goin' vote for my song... are you just sayin' if you had 2?... tis confusing...

it's cool if you don't... just curious

j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:arseclown
A great band name if ever I heard one.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Sven Mullet Wins By a Landslide

Post by frankie big face »

Dave Stiles - this has a good classic 70s sound to it. Nice guitar solo. Lyrics aren't anything to write home about, but that's a common problem on SF and in this genre, it doesn't really matter. Good mix too.

Drink Drank Drunk - reminds me of Drew. Why the hell are the drums so loud? I mean, damn. Harmonica is great. Lyrics are as plodding as the time. Drums are ridiculous. It's okay.

Jeremy Martin - I like the ukelele or whatever it is. It's a nice contrast to the syrupy vocal track, which works for 20 seconds or so. After that, I got a little bored and the quality of the vocal performance became more and more apparent. Extreme reverb just makes those out of tune notes last longer, dude. Not the worst song I've ever heard.

Level Nivelo - Oh god, so terrible. I was going to compliment you on your attempt to be artful, but then you did that thing at the end I just hated it.

Max the Cat - That's some pretty good guitar playing, dude. Singing is nice too. Cool groove. Now where is this song going to go? So far, only to the market and back. And again. And again. No surprises--shucks.

Poor June - I hadn't listened to anything by you before and I wondered what you would sound like. I thought you were a girl, first of all (from your screen name and the way you end everythin' with an apostrophe like the unreadable Zippy comic). I don't really have anything positive to say about this song or the performance, so I'll just wait for the next one.

Sven Mullet - Hey, what happened to the umlauts? Okay, finally a good song. I like the chord structure and the vocaly melody/delivery. Nice change up when the distorted guitar comes in. The chorus (outro?) is a little bit of a letdown at first, but I think with repeat listenings, it would hold up. In this case, the atypical song structure works well. You are the clear winner in this fight. Congrats.[/b]
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator

Hey, why don't we vote on fights?

Post by Gemini6Ice »

(in addition to the actual songs). In such a competition, I think "Almost Burned the House Down" wins this week.
Caravan Ray wrote:I was going to review this fight - but after listening to it - I won't. There seemed to be a miasma of dullness hanging over the whole affair and none of the songs really grabbed me. Sorry to sound like a complete arseclown - but that's the way I heard it.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

First reviews in a while:
* indicates a keeper.

Dave Stiles: This is pretty cool. Somehow it manages to be a little repetitive even thought it's only 1:40 seconds long. It's got a nice vibe. It just gets a little too boring for me and I don't like the style enough. 3 and 1/4 stars.

Drink Drank Drunk: The intro is a little weak. Bring out that damn harmonica!!! Best part of the song man. It gets old pretty fast too. I'm pretty bored about half way into it. You need a bridge or something. Or maybe there was one and I didn't notice. Either way, this gets 2 and 4/5 stars.

Jeremy Martin: The simplicity of this works totally to your advantage. I just love the thought of this guy just sitting there pluckin away on his ukelele? and crooning his heart out. Lyrics are lacking, but i'm not entirely paying attention to them, I'm listening mostly to just the over all melody. Unfortunately, I don't think I could listen to this again, it starts to get less compelling as time goes on. Good job though! 3 and 1/4 stars.

Level Nivelo: This is great. I love the technical difficuty stuff. Very clever. 3 stars.

Max the Cat*: This does sound very similar to a lot of your other stuff. However, it's still very good especially the 'oooooooo ahhhhh yeah.' And the chorus is pretty great. Once again, Max the Cat has an very good song. 3 and 3/5 stars.

Poor June: I'm not sure the soft wiggly sounds are really adding all that much. I'd take them out if I were you. Rhythm sounds a bit off in the intro. Not a huge fan of the lyrics either, pretty cliche. And I don't like the...beatboxing? Not only is it not particular in time at parts, it's kind of grating. The background vocals are nice. You've got some nice ideas, but they're not too original or executed real well. Very average song. 2 and 1/2 stars.

Sven Mullet*: I love the vocals. I'm not sure why. But they're executed amazingly well and totally fit this song. The intro sounds way too thin, even though that may be the point, it's kind of grating. The guitars you add in after that are really great though. This is one of the best Sven Mullet songs I've heard (I haven't heard a lot though.) Very nice job Sven! 3 and 4/5 stars.

Top 4:
3. Dave Stiles
3. Jeremy Martin
2. Max the Cat*
1. Sven Mullet*
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

the human cello wrote:Poor June: I'm not sure the soft wiggly sounds are really adding all that much. I'd take them out if I were you. Rhythm sounds a bit off in the intro. Not a huge fan of the lyrics either, pretty cliche. And I don't like the...beatboxing? Not only is it not particular in time at parts, it's kind of grating. The background vocals are nice. You've got some nice ideas, but they're not too original or executed real well. Very average song. 2 and 1/2 stars.
didn't mean for any of the lyrics to sound cliche... just wrote it while i was talkin' to an ex of mine on the otherline... and sort of just wrote what i felt... didn't really think about it soundin' like anything else...
sorry you didn't like it...

Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

This bëttër, Fränkië? I güëss I'm jüst töö läzy tö typë ümläüts öüt, büt I'll try tö mäkë thë ëffört fröm nöw ön, if it gëts yöür vötë.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sven, I thought the mix in your song sounded awesome and I liked the song a lot, too. And no, you do not sound like John Mayer. Though in that "You're so smooth" line at the very beginning you do actually kinda sound like Josh Woodward. ;) I hear what JoS was saying, though, about that one part where you're playing the same chord in the guitars over a multi-note bass line. Maybe playing a different chord in the guitars during that last note of the bass line (in the part after you sing "And I still remember how you always lied") would make that whole section resolve better? Still, my favorite and got my vote.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

joshw wrote: Poor June (6, 6, 6)

The piano sounds too distant and mono. Your songs always sound like they were recorded well, but then miced as they were played through a boombox across the room. The lyrics are melodramatic. The music is pretty, though. Are you micing a keyboard instead of plugging it in direct?
i don't have a plug to plug in my keyboard directly... i record the piano part to the piano... and then play it to the computer so all the key sounds and stuff won't happen...

and with this particular one... i sung it while it was recordin'... (which may have been a bad idea)...

but if i played it directly into the computer... i don't think the vocals would really mix well... or could i get them high enough to really fit without clippin'... and it'd just sound like a bad match... (however i still have my fingers crossed for better equipment in the future)

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Poor June wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
uhm... are you goin' vote for my song... are you just sayin' if you had 2?... tis confusing...

it's cool if you don't... just curious
Yes. Vote
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

1: d stiles, poor june, sven!, ddd
2: jeremy martin, max

hey, poor june, this is nicely clearer than your older stuff. nice work!
drink drank drunk: i think the voices need to stand out more in the mix.
my favorite song is sven's!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheWilsonHeightsGang »

wow...that's such a close fight!

wow

wowzers

wow
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Post by Bolio »

Late Reviews:

Dave Stiles – Great style, intro sets up the rock very well. Vocals work well for me. Good sound all the way around. Very simple yet has an effective hook. Song rather short & I’ve never been a fan of the sudden ending. Songs good though, I’ll be listening to it again. (btw this song reminds me a lot of ‘The Mess’ by Paul McCartney…. only with Gene Simmons singing)

Drink Drank Drunk – Sounds like my recent trip to Seattle Thanks for the drink Leaf! Um… song review: Good feel to this one. I like what you do with the vocals (especially backround vox) they’re close but could use a little work, matching the harmonies. Drums maybe a tad loud in the mix. I like where you add the Harmonica, but some of the notes are painful. Good effort here, with some work this could be a really cool song.

Jeremy Martin – Great sounding guitar.. very smooth & flows well. Really nice effects you have on it & perfect for this song. Vocals also sound great, nothing in the melody is reaching out & grabbing me though (“thought I loved you” is an o.k. hook.)

Level Nivelo – Always love your ukulele ditties. Before the trombones killed it, this had a nice progression & melody.

Max The Cat – Great vocal styles you use. That being said, the extremely repetitive backround ruins this for me, not my style. This just doesn’t go anywhere.

Poor June – Your most effective song I’ve heard yet imo. Good guitar work. I wish the piano was out in the front of the mix more. It complements the guitar well & the continuous guitar pick pick pick can get tedious. And is that a harmonica in there somewhere? Cool song & it would benefit from a better mix.

Sven Mullet – This song hits the spot. Guitar explosion. Great intro, love the clean guitar chords & the way the clean & distorted guitar are used together. Excellent chorus, so many cool things going on & all balanced well. Awesome vocal effect on this. Great kickass outro. Keeper & get’s my vote.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud