My song rocks! (I like to pretend reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Ed
A New Player

Post by Ed »

Yea, because those heartss sure are manly. Just like me. Me and my huge cock. So manly indeed.
Don't be fooled by "sensitive" boys who say they like your music, they are just trying to get in your pants. --Future Boy
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

The hearts kinda look like gas.
Ed
A New Player

Post by Ed »

You sir, are a genius.
Don't be fooled by "sensitive" boys who say they like your music, they are just trying to get in your pants. --Future Boy
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Just sayin' ... The heart-shaped manly gas probably threw some folks off.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Ed wrote:Me and my huge cock. So manly
huge cock.

It's ok, you can't help it if you have a wee knob, and it's understandable that you feel the need to compensate by typing this kind of shit on a messageboard. If your mother didn't love you, that's ok, too. You're allowed to pretend.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard, alto saxophone, synth kits, vocals and beatbox
Recording Method: Ableton, Launchpad, Korg KP3, AT 2020, Yeti Blue, FL, Reason, Logic, Audacity, various instruments
Submitting as: MMMC / Guitarotica / SmaBoi

Post by Crates »

Now, now...

Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.

Let's not be rude.
Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Ableton, Launchpad, Korg KP3, AT 2020, Yeti Blue, FL, Reason, Logic, Audacity, various instruments

Post by Crates »

Crates wrote:Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.
Come to think of it, is there any way we can make that a title for next week's fight?
OriginalDankster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Im just the messenger

Post by OriginalDankster »

God called me the other day, and he said, "Hey you should make a song, here's the music for it," and I said ok.

And it just so happened that song was to be titles, "I like to pretend." More or less it's a song, but it would be better referred to as a holy scripture of sorts.

I know your all making the same conclusion right now, and that is, if you don't like my song, you obviously got beef with God. And we all know he loves to squash the beef, just like what he did to that Atkins diet guy... :twisted:
Sometimes Iwonder...and I think, what if I werent so good at doing everything, that maybe just for one day I wouldn't be infinitely better than everyone else and I wouldn't have to hurt all your feelings.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Crates wrote:
Crates wrote:Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.
Come to think of it, is there any way we can make that a title for next week's fight?
I guess you've never heard of <a href="http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~dmccarty/Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.mp3">that old classic</a> by the Avalon Singers.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Brass Gopher
You must feel so proud. Like a beat up mutt that’s proud of its piss.

The Cutie Pies
Nice catchiness there, alittle heavy on the synthetics, but nice building, vocal parts, pretty nice. I could skip that processing on the male vocal. I like the weird synthy stuff but it’s a little loud in the mix, in parts.

Dankins
No idea what your point is.

Doscientos
It’s a good catch but that vocal’s out of tune, smiling sound is so bad I want to laugh but it’s a twisted grimace. Pain.

Gert
I can tell that even though a lot of work went into this, it wasn’t work at all, it was fun. Sometimes I get a little bummed that people I respect, have no respect for us. But whatever, suit yourself, to each his/her own, etc. This was my first Gert mix.

Jack Calico
About to skip it at :24 seconds in, then the vocal that comes in really convinces me…next…

Jacob Lynn
Look, we have a sad ripoff. Literally coining Dylan phrases. Another contender for the “you suckâ€
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

boltoph wrote:
Kevin Alborough
My player refuses to stream your track…not sure what the problem is.
the problem is the file has been renamed. it's under "apply liberally to inside of mouth" now, instead of "kevin alborough." i fucked it all up
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

[quote="boltoph"]Jacob Lynn
Look, we have a sad ripoff. Literally coining Dylan phrases. Another contender for the “you suckâ€
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

boltoph wrote: Sometimes I get a little bummed that people I respect, have no respect for us.
it's the lyrics, man. the first mention of a tongue on peach fuzz and it's off the list.

.. unless you're hoblit. i don't know why he gets away with crap like that, but he does.
Ed
A New Player

Post by Ed »

Mogosagatai wrote: I guess you've never heard of <a href="http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~dmccarty/Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.mp3">that old classic</a> by the Avalon Singers.
You sir, you I like. If only we could embed sound files into our avatars.

snap.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

blue wrote:
boltoph wrote: Sometimes I get a little bummed that people I respect, have no respect for us.
it's the lyrics, man. the first mention of a tongue on peach fuzz and it's off the list.
That was mine, not Boltoph's—and if I'd known that is all it would take, I would have plugged that line into the first SF song I wrote a year ago.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Rone: Lets start with something I just know is gonna be killer. Well, I wouldn’t listen to it again but with a teeny bit of tweaking to the (harp?) melody (check some pentatonic scales) and phrasing then this is a level above what you’ve done before. The beat is consistent and works fine. This is just a tiny step towards you doing a track which a few people might think is cool, maybe you’re not there yet, but it’s a step in the right direction. The bit at the end is amazing. You’re already better than lots of other people with more talent than you cos a) what you do doesn’t seem to be affected by what people say and b) you don’t give up.

Wren Edward: This sounded pretty nice, and I’ll want to listen to it again. 1st time round it was drowned out by the sound of the vacuum cleaner next door. Which is never a good thing.

State Shirt: I’m expecting the bar to be raised here, and in terms of fidelity it’s delivering so far. I think I prefer the verses more than the chorus, particularly the bits when the drums go from half time to normal time; this is good the way it builds up though it starts to lose my interest near then end.

T&R: I found myself skipping through most of this. I appreciate you’ve gone for a darker mood with this track but I’m not digging it. I feel the track itself is a bit thin and repetitive and the vocals don’t really add anything.

Gert: Somethings wrong with the file at my end, it keeps skipping every 10 seconds. Fucking irritating but I guess I should d/l instead of streaming; I’m such a lazy bastard. Anyway, I’ve come to expect big things from you guys and this maintains the standard. Sven and Jim fallope said what I was gonna say about this; definitely a grower though.

Apply liberally to inside of mouth: I thought this was gonna go all hardcore after the bass intro. This is kind of unexpected though I’m sort of digging it in a weird way. The vocal effect is odd but it’s actually pretty cool, the song’s going along in an inoffensive way and although it’s not blowing my socks off it’s got lots of quite charming elements. I like the way the instrumentation develops. That’s cool

Ken woodward: time to ride the volume again. This is just one more track in a sea of stuff that will never get listened to more than once or twice, but y’know, while I was listening to it the sun came out and I felt pretty good and I’d like to think it had something to do with the song, so in that respect you captured the magic and that can’t be planned.

Je Ffrobertson: I like the wood block instead of a hi-hat. There are bits when it doesn’t gel perfectly but you recover the flow in a few bars. It’d be nice to hear the dynamics develop a bit, but sometimes its best just to keep it simple I guess. Something solid to build on there.

The Cutie Pies: This is sounding pretty good so far. I’d like to know where you came up with those lyrics. Its an interesting blend of garage guitar and Atari action. Reminds me of the Sisterhood of Convoluted Thinkers but more poppy. Possibly a keeper, definitely worth another listen.

Mkilly: I’m biased towards Marcus at the mo’ cos you’re avatar makes me laugh milk through my nose. Judging this on a purely musical basis this did more for me second time round, I wanted it to go in a different direction after the “somewhere far away from hereâ€
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

brass gopher - I guess you're funny.

the cutie pies - This song could go multiple ways from that beginning. The singing is nice but not really grabbing me. Alright, I like the female vocals here. Oh lordy, that little wiggly synth that comes in a little ways in is great. And wow, it got dancy. It gets boringly repetitive, though, which surprises me for a song that's this short. Nice little song though.

Dankins Strikes Back - I like this. Hopefully it'll go somewhere? It doesn't but it's kind of interesting for a pianoish piece without any dynamics at all.

Doscientos - This is the first song of yours where your voice has grated on me. A song that's as stripped-down as this one is ain't gonna do it for me if the voice is grating.

Gert - Nice solid song.

Jack Calico - Totally stripped-down. I don't really care for the production you've done on your voice, and it's pretty boring.

Jeff Robertson - Jesus, I have nothing at all to say about this. Nice guitar soloing, though.

Jeff Travis Henderson - Well, I don't listen to Roy Orbison, so you're in luck. Very nice, pretty song here, I like your voice, and it's got a lot of nice variation.

Jim Fallope - When I heard the guitar line at the beginning, I was worried. But your voice negates any chance of boredom. Nice choon here.

Ken Woodard - Your voice goes tuneless at the "I don't have to pretend about you", but I like the lyrical twist there. The "yeah oh oh" feels totally out of place.

Apply Liberally to Inside of Mouth - This is really neat. Musically, the vocals and the synths and the vocals don't seem to have anything to do with each other but it's a cool effect.

Marcus Kellis - The vocals in this song feel really flat for the material you're dealing with. Sounds nice though.

mmmc - Haha, this is pretty cool. Nice vocal ostinato. This is all kinds of things.

MonorailRT - This is grabbing me. I like the entry of the drums. Yeah, too much bass, but I like every little bit of it, those high vocals, the bell-synth. I guess it could have used more variation, the rest of it isn't as grabby as the first bit, but great song still.

State Shirt - I've said this before but I really like your voice a whole lot. Hah, this bigger section sounds like Dream Theater in their lighter moments ("Another Day" or thereabouts). I had hoped for this one to go a little bigger but it's certainly nice where it is.

Sub-Atomic Particles - I don't necessarily dislike this, but it doesn't seem to have the same punch as your song last week did. I do love how the vocals are just folding back into the mix, but the mix is just too skinny. Wait, I change my mind, at 1:45 I love it. That solo on top gives it just enough stuff going on.

Tim Hinkle - That 'ahh' synthesizer is kind of hilarious, sorry. I'm bored.

Tom di Giovanni - I like your melody and the guitar playing sounds really nice. I think I'd like to listen to an album of this stuff, hopefully with some more complex arrangements and such, but this song isn't grabbing me much on its own.

Truth and Regret - Bangin' noises. Unfortunately, nothing else.

Wren Edward - Nice guitar playing, heh. I would say open up and really sing but I don't think this song is asking for that kind of treatment, the timid-little-girl aesthetic works really well here.

Your Money Wasted - I really like this. Your voice is grating on me but the music is really cool, I like the piano that sneaks in there. Unfortunately, the song is just kinda fading into the background for me.

Good week... I think I'm gonna vote for MonorailRT.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

a bebop a rebop wrote:I've only listened to one Bob Dylan album in my life (Blood on the Tracks), and that only a few times. I suppose this could be seen as an insult to the man, but I don't see how you could have inferred that from the song.

Also, to "coin" a phrase generally means to create it. I figured out what you meant, though. Which phrases were you referring to?
To coin a phrase is to use some widely know, cliche phrase, like "Love is simple". Or "when it rains, it pours". At least in my book. The phrases I feel you coined are "Please ya not to tease ya" and "going down the sink". I guess the more proper coinage would be "washing down the drain". just the general vibe, "shared a lie".

Jacob Lynn (revisited)
In retrospect I kinda take back the "ripoff" comment. Sorry to be so harsh, I like the song more today.. I like the parts about "wanna touch your hair". I like the emotional vibe and the Dylan semblance on lines like "shared a book...the sky". It's not an insult to the man, I was reviewing from a meaner perspective yesterday. It's not really breaking any new ground here but I can appreciate it's solitude, it's emotion.

...and I listened to this next tune off of the front page this time:

Apply Liberally to Inside of Mouth
First thought was I wanted to rip this apart. Then I started to get off on the goofiness of the vocal, along with the "pretend" title. It actually kind of works. Playing make believe. The music is so hard to follow, so distant, dissonent. To the point where it could actually border on "interesting." In a very very sarcastic slapstick take on the title. My imagination has really big eyes...i start to wonder. I like that part the best. It does sound like a comatose dream, indeed.
Smalltown Mike wrote:
blue wrote:
That was mine, not Boltoph's—and if I'd known that is all it would take, I would have plugged that line into the first SF song I wrote a year ago.
Hmm I didn't hear any line like that and I heard the song about 40-60 times while recording and mixing, minimum. I think "tongue on peach fuzz" must be an analogy for a state of mind...ok I understand. (...gert is pleased to to lick his finger first, and last...) Neatly kept, and of course, tight. Yeah!
Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Crates »

Mogosagatai wrote: I guess you've never heard of <a href="http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~dmccarty/Any female bunny rabbit that farts out unrequited love and has a name like Ed is okay by me.mp3">that old classic</a> by the Avalon Singers.

Instant classic. Quite probably the best song ever made about an oversexed sarcastic rabbit with gas.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

boltoph wrote:nice things
Well thank you for that, sir.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

:lol: rofl
well I was listening to Mozart, but this is WAY better