APPLESEPPUKKAKKE (Applesauce Baptism Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Applesauce Baptism

Post by glennny »

Beefy- The music is really groovy! This "beat" stays in my head long after I listen. The rap has a very mid 80's rap kind of affectation. I generally don't like the genre, but this track transcends my bias and I like it a lot.

Bewells- Good down home folky country strumming on the guitar. I really like the electric guitar tone in the background too, beautifully haunting. The song itself is decent, the vocals really fit the vibe. Nice sweet tune.

Damien Verrett- The fast strumming guitar is cool. I like the voice too, I wish it was a little less effected. This reminds me of the sparcer Bright Eyes tunes. I could have done without the ending, but pretty catchy up till the end.

Dark Side of Acheology- Well, it's dark and grating to listen to. I think it accomplished it's intent, but I really don't need multiple listens. Nice production however.

Electric Spoons- I like the music a lot, nice and quirky and weird. The rhythm of the vocals is really awkward to me, I enjoy the the voice in small doses.

Hangover Black- Singing is great, the music is good, the song starts out nice gets really good when the drums kick in, but then loses it's luster for me.

Kill Me Sarah- This is good, I like the harmonica, I like the song. Please take the tambourine away from your percussionist, it really distracts from an otherwise really solid tune. The false-etto harmony makes me laugh with delight. Very hooky!

Marn- nice weirdness for a filler track I suppose.

Melvin- This week when I saw I was up against Melvin I knew I probably wouldn't win. Currently Melvin is my favorite artist that I have nothing to do with here in Songfight land. I feel like I vote for Melvin every week. This one doesn't dissappoint. Just fantastic. Love the singing, love the production, love the Styx keyboard tone. Just great. Probably the winner for me.

Middlemarch- Another really strong tune, and an artist I seek out to check out. This is the best of the folky genre. My only complaint is I really hear the hissiness of the 96K mp3, I'd love to hear a higher quality recording of this song.

Phillipso- This time it's my brother and myself. Yeah I wish I could sing better, I wish the melody was more inspired. However I really enjoy listening to the baby solo. My daughter will grab your finger and put it to her mouth then make noise, hence the blubbering. I really like my bros guitar and bass playing. Anyway, it was fun to make. Some prefer it to playing with cysts,.... some don't.

Purdy Lips- Production is really good. Imppressive recording. I won't be surprised if this one takes it.

Rabid Garfunkel- This is very cute. I enjoy this quite a bit. Drum machine, voice, and bass... cool. Very charming.

Ross Durand- Sounds like a real song writer. Great singing, flawless guitar pickin'. Nice melody , however it's just too maudlin and sappy for my vote. Obviously a very talented guy.

Special Relatives- A cappella, awesome! very nice.

Stubby and the Dr.- This is another contender for me. I just love this song. Very strong and moody. Lovely laid back playing. I'd buy this album.

Those Meddling Kids- Here's another wonderful band I look forward to. Personally I found this to be hilarious "APPLES! RELIGION!" . The Meese thing is really funny too. I wish there were more regular speed vocals, I love this guys voice too. This is certainly the funniest, and in my top 3 if not my favorite.

Wages- good voice, not your best effort. Please buy a drum machine or a loud clock, something with a steady pulse. I think that would make a world of difference.

Very nice fight people. So for me it's all about Melvin, Those Meddling Kids, and Stubby and the Dr.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

woah, beefy! friendflood much?

i hope at least a few of those hundred extra voters listened to some music before they robo-voted.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

And I hope you take your awful wannabe Del rap shit elsewhere from now on.
🤠
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Beefy friendflood 4tw! (dipshit)
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

He didn't friend-flood—it's just that his crew is soooo large. F'real, yo.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Congrats Phillipso! A great moral victory. When the International SongFight Committee concludes their investigation, I'm sure you'll be crowned the winner.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

I'm sorry. Was I not suppose to post about it on my website? I didn't know it was suppose to be a secret. Oh well.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I just want to congratulate Beefy, it's a damn good tune! We (Phillipso) don't mind losing to a gem like this.

I think posting on the website is a good thing, I don't see how exposure to all of our music could be a bad thing.
Last edited by glennny on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Beefy wrote:I'm sorry. Was I not suppose to post about it on my website? I didn't know it was suppose to be a secret. Oh well.
it's just part of the noob hazing.
Hi!
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

I have to admit that my initial reaction to Beefy's 60 votes was "WTF?!?!"

But, I agree with glennny (thanks for the compliment on my songs, btw) that any exposure is good exposure and that the vote count doesn't matter...

...that's what I keep telling myself, anyway, as I cry myself to sleep at night. :lol:

Maybe I should start telling my friends and family what I do with all my free time. :?
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

The myth that any exposure is good exposure is, well, a myth. How many of those 60 voters bothered to listen to a single other song on the site? How many will come back again until Beefy tells them to go vote for them on his website next time? 1, 2? Is that enough?

And really, if Beefy takes satisfaction from a win that he, let's face it, fixed, then he is somewhat self-deluded.

If I was TMK, i would feel robbed (but then again how many of those votes came from members of Carpetburn? :p )

j$
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

Do I feel bad that it was this one sided? I do. It's mostly due to the fact that my website got hit pretty hard recently and the guy putting together the nerdcore compilation project put the songfight link on the site. But I take satisfaction in the fact that I know I didn't get all of those votes from "robots" and you know it too. I wanted people to listen to all the music, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't say things like "Support/Vote for Beefy." All I can say is that my buddies and I listened to all of them and as always there were some we really dug and some we didn't care for. But I'm not gonna feel like an asshole just because I was Internet popular for a week.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Beefy wrote:But I'm not gonna feel like an asshole just because I was Internet popular for a week.
Winning SF does not make you Internet popular. It makes you the person that has to look after the class hamster and people bitch about it because they wanted to look after the class hamster, but you won in the little trivia thing the class had to answer. People will forget it eventually and then someone else will get the hamster the next week. RATS EAT THE SUZIES.
Songfighter since back in the day.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

j$ wrote:If I was TMK, i would feel robbed (but then again how many of those votes came from members of Carpetburn? :p)
yeah, if I had more friends you'd all be eating my dust :cry:

but seriously, sometimes my friends do come on here and don't listened to all the songs before voting (for me) and I do berate them for it, especially when they miss out on a quality tune or two. But then most people don't have the time for it, and it's their loss as far as I care.

this is one reason why it could be argued that Songfight is more about the reviews than the votes. shout at me if you want but I don't think anyone would complain about friendreviewfloods would they?

so, silly title or not, there was a bunch of good songs here which some voters may or may not have missed out on.

anyway, there's 4 of us in Carpetburn, I didn't vote for me, so thats at least 6 votes unnaccounted for and that's enough to make me happy. win or not. Although I am also pleased that this track got more than 'Far from sucking' because I think it's better and that won so what does it all mean really? I dunno

cheers for all your input fighters, reviewers and everybody.....and now over to Shoot for Tuesday, woooo!! (oh man, I just saw who's in that fight, I'm so dead)
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

Bjam wrote:
Beefy wrote:But I'm not gonna feel like an asshole just because I was Internet popular for a week.
Winning SF does not make you Internet popular. It makes you the person that has to look after the class hamster and people bitch about it because they wanted to look after the class hamster, but you won in the little trivia thing the class had to answer. People will forget it eventually and then someone else will get the hamster the next week. RATS EAT THE SUZIES.
I meant that I was internet popular for a week and so I got a lot of hits on my site and a lot of votes.
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

The following is relatively unimportant.

Considering that the vote count for this fight was 100 higher than the other two and that Beefy only got 60 votes, it seems like some number of the listeners that came and listened to this fight and voted against Beefy might be from his advertising. That's heartwarming.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Beefy wrote:But I take satisfaction in the fact that I know I didn't get all of those votes from "robots" and you know it too. I wanted people to listen to all the music...
Beefyness.com wrote:For the Ladies (IMBC #17)

Filed under: — Beefy @ 11:10 pm

Before you do anything else, I demand that you go to SongFight and vote for me right away. Sure, I suppose you could listen to all the songs and give a fair vote, but I’m Beefy. I love you. Why can’t you just vote with your heart people?
(italics mine)

If not robots, then what, meat-puppets? Zombies? Automatons?
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

maybe everyone should try the beefy approach to women.......

but seriously once they realize that it's just the same old mediocre beefy, they'll get sick of his flaccid rap and find themselves a real ho wit flow.
Hi!
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Filed under: — Beefy @ 11:10 pm

Before you do anything else, I demand that you go to SongFight and vote for me right away. Sure, I suppose you could listen to all the songs and give a fair vote, but I’m Beefy. I love you. Why can’t you just vote with your heart people?
Well, that's rather damning.
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Beefy
A New Player

Post by Beefy »

I forgot sarcasm isn't allowed on the internet. Drat!

Now let me save you all some time...

Sorry to be such a whore, but I was hoping I could con a handful of you to vote for me in the current SongFight I'm in. I'd totally vote for you.

and...

So I have submitted a new song to SongFight and I was hoping I could get some solid THorum support! I suppose you could give them all a listen first, but I'd personally just vote for me and make it all quick-like. But honestly the song is pretty good in my biased opinion and I'd love for you all to give it a listen.

Oh...except anime fans...

I'm starting to feel bad that I was the only one who told other people about this thing. Didn't know the rules. Next time I'll make sure not to link it. Ooo, maybe I should post under a different name so people don't know who I am either! That would be awesome! And then, if I win...I don't know what we'd fight over. But let's be serious, like there's any way I'd come close to winning if I didn't have dozens and dozens of fans. That's silly talk. It's not like I got any decent reviews for the song or anything.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Egg wrote:Considering that the vote count for this fight was 100 higher than the other two and that Beefy only got 60 votes
and now consider this fight was significantly larger than the other two, and would therefore draw more voters simply due to the increased number of people involved (and their own respective mailing lists or internet fans or whatever)
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

This whole flood thing is a good example of a problem on Song Fight. Friend flooding has happened before, and it will happen again.
On one hand, people want to have their songs heard and reviewed by other musicians -- the feedback (well, most of it) is necessary if one is to grow as a songwriter and performer. Who doesn't watch and listen to the crowd at a gig? And since it's a competition, most people want to win the vote (some obviously don't care).
On the other hand, promoting Song Fight on the web will lead to greater exposure for all participants. Of course, people are going to promote themselves -- the Web is the most powerful vehicle for self-promotion ever.
I value the reviews more than the vote. But the votes count too -- especially when they're (at least percieved to be) by the Song Fight community. But it's not a private club.
Hopefully, participants with web presence will promote the competitions, and not just themselves, but that's a fine line. At least more people will hear our songs.

And Beefy -- I liked your entry, like I said in my review. You might have won anyway.
Enter a song? Review songs!