I'm Ready for the Make-up Sex (Am I Forgiven Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

LMNO, thanks for the feedback. lyrics are my shortcoming so i appreciate the help.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Reviews

MC Milk+: Very pretty - Nice singing. I’m not much of a rap fan so I would have liked to have heard you come up with a melody and sing the whole thing. Very nicely produced.

Balance Lost/Balance Regained: I think that this is reasonably good but I’m just not connecting with it. The percussion seems a little busy and out of place. The whole song seems kind of busy like there’s too many elements fighting for attention

LMNOP: clever, amusing lyrics. Very nice singing. I like retro styles so this really resonates with me. It’s not quite as tight as it should be for barbershop but with only a week to do it you can only expect so much - hands down winner

Phuntastic Phour: All of the distortion is really bugging me. I’m struggling really hard to understand the lyrics and failing. I find this painful to listen to.

Ross Durand: Clearly the most serious lyrics of the fight. I don’t think the last verse is that out of whack with the rest. I actually find it a little incongruous that an atheist would be asking the question to a god he doesn’t believe in. The choice of bongos for your percussion is...interesting. Doesn’t really work for me. Otherwise, musically pleasing

Ned Plimpton Orchestra: I like the music in this. I think it has a really good hook. While the lyrics aren’t particularly profound, they’re not bad either and perfectly suitable for a song like this. I like it.

Me: I was just unable to get the lyrics into a suitable state but I was happy with the music so that’s why it’s only an instrumental. I felt that the music did convey the felling of melancholy and contrition that I wanted to express.

Overall a very strong fight. Only one song that I didn’t really like. Good work everybody.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

sdurand wrote: Ross Durand: ... I actually find it a little incongruous that an atheist would be asking the question to a god he doesn’t believe in.
"Incongruous?"... I prefer "ironic"
The choice of bongos for your percussion is...interesting.
Actually, it's just the back side of my guitar - best thing I had available at the time, but I like the result.
I felt that the music did convey the feeling of melancholy and contrition that I wanted to express.
I thought it did, too. I don't think it would have worked as a submission for "Crude," for example.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

rdurand wrote:Actually, it's just the back side of my guitar - best thing I had available at the time, but I like the result.
Ooh, me too. Now I gotta go back and listen again.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

LMNOP - Amazingly well done, you've got a great group there.

Steve - Jesus that was gorgeous. Spectacularly mature brass and with so much character.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic

Post by Steve Durand »

rdurand wrote:
sdurand wrote: Ross Durand: ... I actually find it a little incongruous that an atheist would be asking the question to a god he doesn’t believe in.
"Incongruous?"... I prefer "ironic"
It's the kind of ironic that gets believers to say "See, you really do believe, you're just denyng it".

Steve
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Ross, thanks for the clarification. Lyrically I thought your song staid with the theme better than LMNOP did, but now I must have another listen. Regardless, it was well structured and again, combined with Steve's entry I thought both would have been stronger.

Ned you're right, this isn't the place for childish quarrelling. I apologize to you. The PHUNT group, whoever they may be, that's another story.

For everyone else, I liked reviewing this fight for my own reasons. It doesn't mean I'm willing or able to make a comeback to Songfight, it just means I made an appearance. I do like a lot of what's going on here, musically, but for right now there's a lot I don't like and don't care to take issue with in this format.

There's people kicking on other people's religious beliefs.

There's people kicking on other people's sexual preferences.

And there's a whole shitload of people, especially myself, kicking on people because of their musical preferences.

I just don't want to be one the kickers anymore. I'm sorry for defending my reviews as vehemently as I did but damn.....enough already. It's a review. I was under no obligation whatsoever to give it. Bitching about it or trying to clarify who was involved in the project shouldn't need to involve quoting me.

I may have found exception in the first reviews I got, but I quickly realized, it was just one guys opinion. And I stopped griping about them after that. Once I realized how to accept reviews as a blessing and not a curse, I stopped taking issue with every little word that was said.

I just wish some folks would get with the program. That is all.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Steve Durand
Panama

Post by Steve Durand »

Dan-O,
Keep reviewing by all means. I think the reviews are one of the best things about Songfight!. I've picked up a lot of valuable advice.

Even so, I am amazed by how much stock people will put in the opinion of some basically anonymous person on the internet.

Steve
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Phuntastic Phour: Really pretty, actually, underneath the initial harshness of the sound. Glad to see the torch being passed around.

Balance Lost/Balance Gained: Is Pedro to be blamed for this in any way? This has some great traces of the Lips, which is always a good thing. Even in the positivity of the lyrics, the sort of universal sunshine in the face of negative forces, very Wayne Coyne but perhaps without the subtlety (it’s pretty heavyhanded). I like this, though, it maintains its own identity in the midst of a fairly heavy tip of the hat. You must teach me some of your production tricks. And jesus, every Melvin harmony makes me think of Pedro the Lion.

LMNOP: Weee. Ever hear the Austin Lounge Lizards? This reminds me of that. Totally goofy and full of the sort of humor that threatens to be benign, but hides at least a hint of an edge underneath the surface. It’s really charming, but not altogether mindblowing. Still, check out “On the Other Shoreâ€
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Mogosagatai wrote:
Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Phuntphastic Phour:
you guys
as usual
The band name has phunt in it, the entry is midi, there's spoken word and it's painful to listen to at times, so I could see where you get off assuming it's the same people. But I wanted to point out that the Phuntastic Phour are an example of Phunt sans Mogosagatai and Egg. The "as usual" tone of some comments made me feel like it's useful to say something. I think maybe Mogosagatai helped mix their last entry, but this is one of those offshoots taking the spirit of Phunt in their own directions.
:lol: Heh! - You guy's seem to have quite a problem with people taking your name in vain.

(BTW: No - "Phuntastic Phour" is not Caravan Ray)
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

WeaselSlayer wrote: Ned Plimpton Orchestra: Not the kind of music I expected from a Wes Anderson fan. Really... cheesy I guess, but sweet too I suppose. Really theatrical voice, you sound like you’ve done musical theater. This is a lot of flash without much substance, I’m afraid.
totally spot on, i was just going for cheesy pop on this tune. it's fun now and again. plus for the subject material of the song, i figured it lent itself to cheesy pop. i still struggle with writing half decent lyrics though. i mean give me a pen and paper and tell me to write for writing's sake, and i'm totally comfortable, but tell me to put it to music and i'm clueless. thats a lot of the reason i came here to songfight.

musical theater was really what got me into music as a matter of fact, so good ear. :)
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

[quote="WeaselSlayer"]
Ross Durand: ... Structurally/lyrically/melodically this just reminds me of “Trouble Every Dayâ€
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

Hate to vote against Frank, but I was thinking James McMurtry.

Steve Durand
Panama

Post by Steve Durand »

LMNOP,
Congrats on the win.

Steve