Friend Flooding and You

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Re: Friend Flooding and You

Post by obscurity »

GlennCase wrote:The idea being that you will probably win the fight without any help from friend's votes if you just try to write a great song.
Oh, you mean I should stop trying to write sucky songs?
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

if you do it, you're an asshole, and you're making spud angry, and, frankly, someone should punch you in the nose, because making spud angry makes you a really, really, really bad person.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

I agree that angering spud is the mark of a bad person .. But does spud actually give a rat's ass about friend flooding? (I'm genuinely curious .. I thought the fm's opinion on the matter was just "we wish you wouldn't" which to my mind is a far cry from "do it, and we're coming to your house with clubs.")
blakewalker
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by blakewalker »

they need to just take away the cash prize which would remove any incentive to friend flood
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

WE WILL NOT PENALIZE ANYONE FOR HAVING FANS.

I'm pretty sure we've made this clear.

1. We encourage you to tell your friends about your entries.

2. We encourage you to tell your friends to listen to all the songs and vote for their favorite.

3. If you tell your friends to vote for you, you are a jerk, because we are also trying to be your friends and play a fair game of Song Fight.

4. You are allowed to be a jerk.

5. Multiple people firing up a browser, visiting the site, and voting once for the same person for WHATEVER reason, is legitimate and cannot be discouraged or prevented by the FightMasters.

6. You ARE NOT PERMITTED to link directly to your song on songfight.org (this has nothing to do with friend-flooding, and everything to do with get-your-own-damn-web-hosting-you-cheap-bastard). We don't currently do anything to enforce this, other than send you bad vibes and possibly rename a file in the archive if too many people are hitting the stupid hentai-kitty song because they think it has to do with anthropomorphic cat s fucking.

7. You ARE NOT PERMITTED to vote more than once. We do minimal things to enforce this rule, in addition to the aforementioned bad vibes. A concerted effort to stuff the ballot box will be nixed when detected. It will not often be detected, because the integrity of the voting is not among the top 100 concerns of our lives.

This is my interpretation of the FightMaster position, subject to further clarification and expoundiation by Spud.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

What JB said. As previously posted, I do some checking if it looks suspicious, because proxy voting and library voting has happened in the past, but usually it is just your fans. And that's cool. You don't like it? Get more fans.

Also, it is more likely that Blue will come to your house with a club if you make me angry than me.

He knows that you must have done something really bad, and that I will probably just find something more fun to do if I get angry often enough, rather than coming to your house myself.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

one of these weeks i honestly want rone a win.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Winning is for losers.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

one of these weeks i honestly want rone a win.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

It didn't need to be said twice. Or once.
Sick and Wrong
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Sick and Wrong »

Spud wrote: ...Blue will come to your house with a club...
... and if he happens to find you practicing some hip hop moves in front of the bathroom mirror -- well, it'll be worse.
...what?
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

jseavers05 wrote:one of these weeks i honestly want rone a win.
Are you the one who flooded me to 42 votes?
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

I don't for the life of me believe that Rone would do something like that, though it's a shame that somebody out there thinks it's funny to...

a) abuse the site like that
b) take this piss out of Rone by doing it

something needs to be done.... but what??
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

spOOn wrote:I don't for the life of me believe that Rone would do something like that, though it's a shame that somebody out there thinks it's funny to...

a) abuse the site like that
b) take this piss out of Rone by doing it

something needs to be done.... but what??
Seconded. Friend flooding as a way of mockery is just stupid.
Songfighter since back in the day.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Hey thanks for your support. I definatly did NOT flood the votes as I stated in the review thread. But whatever, in the long run it doesn't mean anything. Hopefully whoever did it will allow it to be a one time joke and not ruin every fight like that. Now I don't know how many votes I really got, that's what bothers me the most. Bleh.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
boochinballs
A New Player

Post by boochinballs »

From what little I've seen of this site (and looking through the archives), I don't believe that Rone would have bothered to friend flood like this. He's had plenty of opportunity to do it in the past if he was going to.

I don't know if this is of any relevance, but I don't even get a voting button anymore under the song list. Is this because I've voted already ? (eg does the site set a cookie to remove the voting button once you've voted ? If that's the case then whoever did this had a lot of time on their hands).

Of course, we could all be missing the point that Rone has just amassed a massive fanbase over the past 7 days :)

Let's hope for a more balanced vote for next week.
Part of the problem.
<br>For more musical nonsence, <a href="http://www.myspace.com/boochinballs">ww ... inballs</a>
For less nonsense and actual songs,<a href="http://www.myspace.com/sixthline">www.m ... xthline</a>
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Okay, here's an idea off the top of my head...

how about 2 votes for each fight, an offical vote and an unofficial vote,
the unofficial vote could be performed in exactly the same way as it's performed now, via the radio buttons on the main page by anybody visiting the site (which lets face it is a nice touch and is extremely user friendly), the offical vote could be performed only by registered users via their registered e-mail address and could possibly take the form of voting for 1st 2nd and 3rd choice, or even though the PM box!

...like I said just a thought off the top of my head.

I dunno just a thought!
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

It's been this way for the last couple of years. So I don't think it's gonna change. It works well, except for the occasional blip, like this.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

<sarcasm>There should be punishment! Hanging is a popular one lately. </sarcasm>

Rone, sorry that someone perpetrated this. You were one of the people who really cared about the vote, as shown by your signature tally.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

TOO SOON NIV! TOO SOON!
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

boochinballs wrote:Is this because I've voted already ?
Yes.
spOOn wrote:the offical vote could be performed only by registered users via their registered e-mail address
I've seen this idea thrown around in the past, but I think it never caught on because, as Bjam said, Songfight has worked mostly fine, as is, for over 5 years.

The number of votes a song receives, whether official or unofficial, will always be arbitrary. Anyone who's submitted a few tracks starts to suspect this. I think I even remember a poll that asked what we most care about when submitting songs, and "winning" ranked pretty low. If that's still the general consensus, I doubt anyone cares enough about friend-flooding to cast an extra vote or 3 each week.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

Rone Rivendale wrote:
jseavers05 wrote:one of these weeks i honestly want rone a win.
Are you the one who flooded me to 42 votes?
haha, no... that is super hilarious though. welp, congradulations rone!