Prepare to be punished! (Glutton Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

After the minute mark is when it starts to get going.
stylonpilson
A New Player

My reviews of Glutton

Post by stylonpilson »

Billy's Little Trip - I quite like the hook in the chorus, and really wish the vocals had been audible on this track. The ride cymbal made me feel uncomfortable - it felt loud. The inclusion of a trumpet is awesome. One of these days, I'll get my trumpet out of the garage, and then everyone will say "Hey, Stylon nicked that idea from BLT!" You bastard.

Brandon Ellison - Your ID3 tags are all arse over tit - the artist says "The Artist" and the title field says "The Title". The morose, slumping song fits nicely with the doom-filled lyrics. It feels like a dying animal dragging itself off to somewhere dark. I wouldn't have minded this song being a bit longer. The vocals sound a little shy - a bit more malice in there would have upgraded this song to "shiver-inducing" status.

Cranial Biffida - I was originally put off by the length, but I found this song tolerable by mainly ignoring it. I don't think that I'm your target audience.

Emergency Pizza Party - Woah! Eminem is in the house! I like the underlying tune and most of the rappers were passable, but there were some awkward timings towards the end where the quest to cram a bazillion syllables into one line culminated in tragedy and a late finish. Repeated direct references to Song Fight come out clumsy. Who's the girl who comes up third? Her lyrics are superb. Also, I swore to myself beforehand that I'd mark down people for rhyming "glutton" with "button" - sorry, EEP. You did it more than once.

Finding Nemoy - A pretty song, with a good performance and a good end result. The chorus is quite catchy, but overall the song didn't invoke any strong emotions in me. The words just didn't seem to be about anything in particular, least of all something relating to gluttons.

Frankie Big Face - This reminded me of Suede, in many ways. Great song, and it built nicely, but I felt like it never quite reached its potential - maybe that was intentional. You have a gorgeous voice. A really, really fucking gorgeous voice. I liked the lyrics too. This was the longest song this week (with the exception of the uber-long ones, which don't count) but it didn't feel like it outstayed its welcome, probably because it develops at a comfortable pace. I think this one might be my winner. Minor gripe - the backing vocal "feel the way you feel" in the chorus sounded a bit too far forward in the mix - I would have sent it backwards, and made it shimmerier.

Gentlemen Thieves - I love the range of different genres that go head-to-head in Song Fight. The fact that everything from hip-hop to "hola!" can co-exist under the same webpage gives me a grand feeling. So I entirely appreciate that this song was entered this week, but sadly I don't have an understanding of Spanish strong enough to make this song, to me, much more than a common chord progression on an acoustic guitar. Sorry.

Glenn Case - So many things to love about this song. Crisp production. Your voice is great. Really catchy melodies. Nice structure, I like the extra beats at key moments. Short and punchy. That bass guitar sound. A really, really well-manufactured song. Good work.

Jim Tyrrell - I feel a little deprived of a chorus, but I can see that the song isn't intended to be that kind of song. I think it could have done more - it starts, continues, and then ends, instead of building and growing. I like your voice as well - it's a bit Morrissey. The mix is good - everything is nice and clear.

Jolly Roger - Unpleasant.

J R Stinkensten - Interesting, but no love. Good song, good performance, good production, but it's not really my genre. It could have held my interest more if it had developed, but I must confess to getting a little bored by that chord progression by the end. I also found the lyrics a little on the trite side.

MC Paul Denyer - The lyrics save this song.

Melvin - I didn't like the sound of that guitar solo. Good performance & production, but the underlying song & style didn't move me. I was struggling to pick out the lyrics in the chorus.

Octothorpe feat Sean - Crashed my media player about halfway through. Three times. Amusing, but I probably won't listen to it again. My review of last week's song is equally applicable to this one. I can tell that it's not going to be a coincidence.

PiGPEN - It has a certain cleverness, but ultimately I just don't dig the monotone vocal style. I don't usually listen to this kind of music habitually, and I'm not going to make an exception in this case. I liked the lyrics though.

Rain Down Hell - Had the desired effect.

Ratt Poizon - ID3 tagged as "Plastic Rose", I am totally unqualified to review this song. I have no credentials in this genre whatsoever. Technically speaking, the performance sounded good. Maybe the snare drum was a little too prominent. Didn't excite me much, I'm afraid, though that's me.

Scrap Heap - I really don't know what to say about this song. It is what it is.

Stylon Pilson - My entry. It's not the song that I was expecting to submit as my first Song Fight entry, but it just took charge and led me by the hand. It grew on me over the course of a week. The lyrics aren't particularly profound or sophisticated, but I hope that they entertain.

Thanks For The Frisbee - Superb song. The simplicity of the arrangement works so well. It's too beautiful for the title. It reminded me in many ways of the "Finding Nemoy" entry. I wouldn't give it full marks for the quality of the performance.

Wages Of Sin - Muddy vocals again. At low volumes, they are inaudible, but they hit the notes that count. The synth-drums are great, and the song is fabulous. Chorus is simple, but effective. I felt that the song was too short - electropop should last longer.

Wormsweater - Wouldn't play for me either. Might vote for it, just for a hoot.

WreckdoM - Filthy. Love it. Smiled all the way through.

Yes Yes No Yes - Arrgh the clipping the clipping. I'd give marks for the concept if WreckdoM hadn't just done such a great job of it. Very cute guitar riff, but that's all I can say.

ZeaLous 1 feat Dark Heart - Good rapping, but the beat and organ sample don't do much for me.

Zipline - I liked aspects of this song, but the various movements didn't seem to link together very well. Great drumming, but the guitar solo seemed to lack logic in places. The vocal performance (and production thereof) are obviously lackadaisical, but you probably don't need me to tell you that.
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

whoa! the id tag does say plastic rose? computers piss me off! :cry:
sorry about that.

-Lead bass player of RattPoizon
"a guitar-induced brain hemorrhage" -The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

but the guitar solo seemed to lack logic in places
stylonpilson

I don't disagree with you, it's not one of my more inspired solos, I was just wondering if you could ellaborate on what you mean by "seemed to lack logic". To me, I start with a variation on the "fanfare" melody, go into a Steve Hacket-ish tap arpeggio within the chord pattern followed by another more rhythmic tap counterpoint to the chords. In general I think it's a "miss", just curious about what the logic of a guitar solo should be. Thanks for the feedback!

glennny
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

obscurity wrote:J.R. Stinkenstein: Just when I thought it was safe to return to my mp3 player, I get fuckin' country!. Sorry, nothing constructive to offer, this or the previous song, just totally NMCOT.
I knew these kinds of reviews would inevitably result, but I did it anyway. Does that make me crazy?

FYI, for anyone wondering, J.R. Stinkenstein is me doing vocals and rythym guitar, Paco on drums and bass, and both of us on dueling leads.
stylonpilson
A New Player

Post by stylonpilson »

glennny wrote:I don't disagree with you, it's not one of my more inspired solos, I was just wondering if you could ellaborate on what you mean by "seemed to lack logic". To me, I start with a variation on the "fanfare" melody, go into a Steve Hacket-ish tap arpeggio within the chord pattern followed by another more rhythmic tap counterpoint to the chords. In general I think it's a "miss", just curious about what the logic of a guitar solo should be. Thanks for the feedback!

glennny
Okay, I've listened to that passage from 3:08 to 3:22 about a dozen times now in succession, in an attempt to articulate my feelings more accurately. Maybe it's just familiarity, or maybe I'm actually picking up a pattern that I was missing before, but it doesn't feel as illogical as it did before. My initial opinion was that it felt like a string of random notes of random duration, played in sequence with no consideration of what was going on around them. I wish I had the luxury to listen to all entries a dozen times before reviewing, but you know how it is.

I don't know if there's really a recipe for a logical guitar solo, and similarly my concept of what makes a good solo is going to be different from the guy next door's. And evidently not particularly close to yours, glennny, but that's just the way the world works. I'm new to this community, and with time I'll get to know you and your music better. I'll be able to give you more targeted feedback, instead of criticising aspects of your work that you have no intention of changing, which just wastes everyone's time really.

And maybe I'll even learn to appreciate your solos. Which is really why all of us are here, in a broad sense.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I'll be able to give you more targeted feedback, instead of criticising aspects of your work that you have no intention of changing, which just wastes everyone's time really.
Hey Thanks for taking the extra time to listen! I actually don't mind the criticism, I've found it to actually be the best part of Song Fight. All the perspectives be they Fresh or Seasoned, have made me a better songwriter/ producer/ musician. I've certainly been influenced by other SongFighters criticisms over the year I've been actively participating. I think I'll take from this exchange that the connections were too loose, and the allusions weren't strong enough, too easily misconstrued as wanking. Much of that is due to the improv nature of Zipline as opposed to the "written" solos of some of my other entries. Thanks again!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

still not up

Post by chuckstas »

Hey, our song still isn't up...I don't mean to nag, but I was just hoping for a response to let me know if it's going to be put up or not. Thanks!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Try resending it.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: still not up

Post by Spud »

chuckstas wrote:Hey, our song still isn't up...I don't mean to nag, but I was just hoping for a response to let me know if it's going to be put up or not. Thanks!
What is the name that you entered under? And as fluffy says, try sending again. I will alert JB to be on the lookout.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Octothorpe: ...You guys always sound to me like you're just taking the piss...

Trust me when I say that if I had taken any piss that night it would have come out snowflakes instead of mp3s :)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Also, by "taking the piss" do you mean "having fun?" Because that's what we're here for. Why would we do this if it's not fun?
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

FOR ART
stylonpilson
A New Player

Post by stylonpilson »

For votes.
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

"Art Band! more like a FART band!" -Zoogz Rift
"a guitar-induced brain hemorrhage" -The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

fluffy wrote:Also, by "taking the piss" do you mean "having fun?" Because that's what we're here for. Why would we do this if it's not fun?
Almost. It's more 'poking fun' than 'having fun'. Having fun at someone else's expense.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Whose expense is that?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

At his, of course.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Nay, Spud, at God's.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: still not up

Post by j$ »

Spud wrote:
chuckstas wrote:Hey, our song still isn't up...I don't mean to nag, but I was just hoping for a response to let me know if it's going to be put up or not. Thanks!
What is the name that you entered under? And as fluffy says, try sending again. I will alert JB to be on the lookout.

SPUD
Isn't Chuckstahs not the bass guitarist from Pompeii? I may have this wrong.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Frankie Big Face: Awesome. Great production, great song. Plus... you DON'T sound derivative of Bowie (as I have seen implied in the past). Sure, its similar, but that's your voice, and it sounds like it. Really dig this tune. Almost Radioheadish I suppose... not that I listen to Radiohead. Man those strings...sound real. GREAT.

...uh... no other reviews at this time...just felt compelled to comment on this tune, cause I liked it so much.
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

fluffy wrote:Whose expense is that?
The listener's.

Look, lest you read too much into this, I'm not saying you are taking the piss - Spud has told me before that he's entirely serious about his music and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I'm just saying that's what it sounds like to me.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.