This fight belongs to me! (reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

wormsweater wrote: Heck Yeahs –What we need more of is no more songs from you.
Wow. That's quite a statement. I don't know a single songfighter I could say that to without feeling like a sanctimonious prick.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

It's the Hell Yeahs.
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Pronouns: _

Post by Erwin Cloibhofer »

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Wormsweater,
I never called you a prick. I just said that I couldn't say that statement myself without feeling like a jerk doing it. It would be like telling someone to stop doing music. No matter how bad someone's music is I'd never tell them that because 1) it's their muse, they're entitled to it and 2) there's a chance that someone out there digs it.

No offense here. (And I'll just pretend I didn't see the deleted post)
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Erwin Cloibhofer
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Pronouns: _

Post by Erwin Cloibhofer »

----------
Last edited by Erwin Cloibhofer on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

It Belongs To Me REVIEWS:

<u><b>Balance Lost/Balance Regained :</b></u> am guessing this is carpetburn collab with someone else. Either way is good. Music and vocals fit pretty well. a bit too long, and a bit too fucking sad.. good job thought.

<u><b>Billy's Little Trip feat. Steve Durand's Brass :</b></u>
Man am digging your stuff. its pretty fresh and original within Songfight. always looking to hear what you come up with next. Am telling you one of these days you'll get my vote, one of these days..

<u><b>Cranial Biffida :</b></u> does nothing for me. annoying as hell.

<u><b>DM6 :</b></u> ohh me like like. ehh, sounds like chack, could possibly be, not sure. either way very moody and bluesy. Possible vote.

<u><b>Handpuppets :</b></u> sounds like a happy upbeat song.. to bad is all whitewash with that distorted guitar on top of everything. is like Vangoh taking his time doing a painting, and right before showing it to you, he splashes a gallon of white paint on it, just for kicks.
am still scratching my head, on why that distorted guitar is so freaking loud.

<u><b>Jolly Roger :</b></u> let your influences be known, right. Killer intro, then the song takes a turn into 90s skateboarding punk corner. Wished you would have been able to pull off a metal song, continuing from the intro, but that’s probably too low for your vocal range. This is actually not bad at all, after the second listen, some of your best stuff. guitar/drums are all good, vocals need to be more upfront, lyrics a bit kiddy.

<u><b>Jonathan Mann :</b></u> always liked your stuff going back to 40seconds song. wished i had your vocals. like always simple pop and folky, with good smart lyrics. possible vote.

<u><b>Just In Case :</b></u> am a sucker for songs with heavy palm mute guitar, like this. this songs really sticks out for me, mostly cuz i can't compare it to anything else, and it sounds good. vocals can be improved, but their not too off. just the right length, enjoyable. Thanks.

<u><b>King Arthur :</b></u> bluesy and moody, like i like it. can you sing in a lower key, i think it would blend better with the music. Liked the cynical lyrics, and little lead guitar here and there.

<u><b>LML :</b></u> i work with LMLs all day long (local main listing)... this is so lo-fi dance music it actually works! it sounds like a 12 year kid singing about his own personal divorce. Even thought it could have use a beat change or two, i enjoyed it. thanks.

<u><b>MC Eric B :</b></u> I’ll vote for you. your the shit!

<u><b>Magnetbox :</b></u> uhhh, not sure what to think about this one. a bit too 80s and not executed too well.

<u><b>Masterhyde :</b></u> i skipped it after 1:20 seconds. Sorry dude, not into this right now.

<u><b>Melvin :</b></u> i liked this, like the lyrics ( confusing at times thought). the little solo was lame. Liking your stuff more and more.

<u><b>Mike Lamb :</b></u> it sounds like your stereotyping every Irish song i have ever heard.

<u><b>Rone Rivendale :</b></u> you know what time it is? its Rone time! i don't know what inspires you to do this type of music, but hey is all you.

<u><b>Ross Durand :</b></u> Hey Ross, John Mellencamp called told me he wants his song back. best thing i have heard from you. Possible vote.

<u><b>Steve Durand :</b></u> hey how come you don't play trumpet for your brother Ross? you two are related right? as for this song, jazzy and swinging. ohh that mute trumpet solo was so sweet. wasn’t into this song that much, but after that brass section solo, it got me right into it. Good tune. Vocals could have been a bit more solid. nice ending.

<u><b>Stylon Pilson :</b></u> are you signing with your jaw close ? Sounds like it. liking the lyrics. The music and melody are a bit boring.

<u><b>Thanks for the Frisbee :</b></u> man am such a fan, and songs like this are probably why. the screaming part is done perfect, as it gets the point across, without shattering my ears. great lyrics like always. Am hoping someday you'll have the confidence to submit a song where you don't double up on the vocals for the entire song. Wait.. Where’s the title on this? Possible vote.

<u><b>The Contrapositives :</b></u> wrong title. not good either way.

<u><b>The Disciples of Beer :</b></u> best parts are the lead guitar, and tambourine. that tambourine ROCKS!

<u><b>The Hell Yeahs :</b></u> wooooohoooo! their back with avenges... sounding great and a bit more poppy and sweet. still remaining punk. Funny how you and your husband have the same sense of melody. Possible vote.
I think wormsweater was being sarcastic with his comments. Not sure though.

<u><b>Three Hole Punch :</b></u> uhh? if this is not CCS, someone is mimicking its sound pretty good. as for this song, is a bit repetitive at times, but yet unique and fun as any other CCS song. hope the tour was fun, am still playing the spinto cd (the one you help me buy) in the car, from time to time.

<u><b>wormsweater :</b></u> WOW! this really proofs that you guys are more that just a pair of morons burping into mics. Your best entry up to date that I have heard. you two are very musically incline, and it shows. From the well played piano, to the bass lines, to the drumming ( a little carry away with the cymbols, and really loud in the mix). vocals fit nice too. not sure how it relates to the title.. ohh! you idiots! you submitted last weeks title. dohhh! Really close on getting my vote, drums to loud, and its last week’s title.

good fight, good way to start of the year.
i'll either vote for Frisbee, hell yeahs, or Ross. not sure yet.
Magnetbox
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Magnetbox »

dre wrote:<u><b>Magnetbox :</b></u> uhhh, not sure what to think about this one. a bit too 80s and not executed too well.
Would you care to elaborate? In what way is the execution not too well?

Just curious--not much in the comments there that I can actually go on to make a change to it.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

...oh, and here Minty, don't say I never did anything for you, lol.
Excellent, thank you sir! I didn't even realize that was the voice of Brak -- much happiness for me in a tiny little wav file. Oh, and Steve set me straight on the brass via PM as well, and I'll repeat my response here...I thought it was synth because the timing was so tight. SD is the serious bomb on brass, and I am in awe.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

wormsweater wrote:EDITED FOR HARSHNESS AND DE-CONSTRUCTIVE-NESS, and forgetting to review masterhyde:

THY’s – Probably going to win the fight. Great production, no hiccups in continuity, just straight up girl rock. I'm not a big fan of the lyrical content, especially the Sixteen Candles reference. There’s nothing wrong with the song technically, it's just that this really isn't my thing.
Thanks.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

hmmm, I like the Hell Yeahs but I don't think you should have to change your review just cos someone didn't like it, you're entitled to your opinion regardless of how unhelpful or unpopular it may be. and I wouldn't take a 'stop making music' comment seriously ever......unless Rone decided to sell out one day.

I should do some reviews; I'd do harsh 2 word one's only I'm far too opinionated to be so economical with my wordiness.
dre wrote:Am hoping someday you'll have the confidence to submit a song where you don't double up on the vocals for the entire song.
No! I really like the doubling of the vocals, or.....in fact it would be cool to hear just one voice for a bit, but I do like the doubling effect, especially on your stuff.
cbiffida
A New Player

Post by cbiffida »

dre wrote: <u><b>Cranial Biffida :</b></u> does nothing for me. annoying as hell.
Clearly an incorrect statement. It appears to have annoyed you. That's better than a vote.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

Furrypedro wrote:hmmm, I like the Hell Yeahs but I don't think you should have to change your review just cos someone didn't like it, you're entitled to your opinion regardless of how unhelpful or unpopular it may be.
We made an agreement via PM. He certainly didn't have to change his review, and I made sure he knew it too. You're right, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Thanks! :wink:
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

fantastic super spectacular fight ya-mean,
hard to choose just one to vote for.

BLBR- I love the music. More slow paced than a regular melvin song. It doesn’t quite explode like one either. I like it as a B side track. I don’t think any part is bad it just doesn’t grab me. it’s a great song ,
Well produced.

BLT- I really like your sound already, but adding those horns….I hate you…this song is awesome and those horns are perfect. Nothing to complain about. Solid OUTSTANDING song. Love the brak track :D

Contrapositives- sounds like you had fun. Clever. Good sound.

Cranialbiffida-I don’t like music like this generally, but it does take talent to make and you definitely have skills. Just not my C.O.T

Disciples of Beer-I think the voice should be turned down a bit and the whole mix then turned up.
It’s a pretty good song. Yah..when the voice gets louder it drowns out the music. I guess that’s my only problem with the song. Songwise it’s good.

DM6-love the steel guitar!! Very well done Blues rock.

hand puppets- spandex and blond perms are the order of the day for this song. I can barely hear your voice.
The song is fine, but the production doesn’t really let me get the full flavor. But then again I am the last person to ask about production. I just know what needs to change…I don’t know how to change it :wink:
Solid tune. Good performance just bad recording.

THYAHS-I am actually a sucker for you now. I love your voice and music. This song is tight and and everything is awesome and im not saying for sure that im voting for you but im….not saying im not…but im not saying im not NOT either…..im going to listen to it again so I’ll shut up. :oops:
I would have made much different lyrical choices, but that’s the reason that I could never pull off a song like that….well the other being that im not a girl :wink:

Jolly roger- you brought some rock fer shur. This is one of my favorite songs from you so far. The guitar is really good like usual. I like the vocals too. The mix however is a little muddy exept for the guitar, that is loud and clear.

Jonathan mann-I like the poetic style. I like the vox, especially the drawn out lines that repeat after the lead vocal. Great stuff. Song is gooooooooooooooooooood.

Justin case- good effort. Not my taste really, but I always like dueling vocals. This particular song doesn’t grab me, but I really want to hear more in the future.

King Arthur- this is really great, am I accurate in comparing you to Fleetwood mac? For some reason the feel of the music leads me to think that. I love the lyrics, the groove and flow of the whole thing. Very very well put together. Great song

Lml- good song…although very sharp treb. Levels. Driving pretty constant. I would love to hear this song when the levels are evened out a bit, but its just too sharp for my delicate ears.

Magnetbox- I like the music. Its not one of my favorites of the fight, but this is a tough fight.
I think the think that is keeping my from liking it that much is the vocal melody. The music thumps and plods and then the vox follow right along. Some of the lyrics sound forced. Strictly my oppinion. The music is great though.

Masterhyde-you have an awesome 80’s rap voice. I could listen to you read the dictionary and be happy.
Im diggin it. Perfectly executed.

Mcericb- oh crap, you just so happened to follow an awesome rap song.
don’t like song fight references. And the rap skill needs work. And if you get 3000 votes then you are a prophet. Sounds like you had a little fun making it thought so that’s good.

Melvin-oooooooo I love it already. Nice accustic, although im partial to that. Perfect progression into the chorus. Lyrically great vocally great musically great. One of my favorites of this fight, and one of my favorite melvin songs of all time.

Mike lamb-im sorry…anthing that starts with “ gather round and I’ll tell you a tale “
Takes me right out. All I can think of is monty python. Are you a bard in the renaissance fair?
You play a good bard, but um yah…its not you its me…

Rone- I don’t like it when you try to hit every single note that is played. I would like to see you Try not doing that one of these days. I like the part where the music breaks out. You sound like you have a split personality…..in the song.

Ross Durand- sounds tom petty-ish in a good way. Not totally tom petty, just hinting of it.
Vocal performance is very solid, sounds great. I love the backup vocals. The progression of the song is right on. Keeps my interested all the way through. Great job Ross D. love the harmonica also.

Steve Durand- more horns in the same fight? No complaints here, its like I won the horn lottery.
You make this style seem so easy..its amazing. I always like your songs. I cant give you any pointers you nailed everything .

Stylonpilson- I like the lyrics. Nice bass line too. The lyrics make this song. Good job.

thanks for the Frisbee-needs a lot more instrumentation I know. On my equiptment the screaming parts arent unbarable, but then again my sound stuff isn’t that good. Its more of a sentimental song to me than a musical gem anyways. I didn’t expect it would go over really well or anything. Although I don’t usually belt out like that In songs and I kinda liked it. I may try to do that kind of thing again someday.

Three whole punch- good bit of sugar pop. I just think of candy and ice cream when I hear this…maybe im hungry…in any case the song is tight …and I clearly have issues.

worm sweater- you have one of my favorite voices of song fight. You guys are developing quickly into one of my favorite sf bands. The only crappy thing is that its for last week, but hey it’s a good song and it should be heard right? Right.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

Furrypedro wrote:
dre wrote:Am hoping someday you'll have the confidence to submit a song where you don't double up on the vocals for the entire song.
No! I really like the doubling of the vocals, or.....in fact it would be cool to hear just one voice for a bit, but I do like the doubling effect, especially on your stuff.
thanks pedro, and dre. i used to feel like i had to double just to get the vocals loud enough on my hokey recording set up, now i have some better equiptment, but i cant really break the habit too well. i think double tracking adds a little umph to my sometimes timid vocal style and thats why i do it i think. thanks for letting my know you like it Pedro. i will try to mix it up in the future dre
thanks for the input.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:We made an agreement via PM.
Cool
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:just doesn’t grab me
Yeah, it's weird isn't it, I thought this was gonna be ace when I was just jangling around with the riff. I think this is the reason I have so many songs sitting around with no vocals cos I don't want to waste all that effort on making (what I consider to be) an ace track only for it to turn into a mediocre song. I must admit that I did find this creeping under my skin in a really nice way on a couple of listens, but that was just a couple of listens out of the hundred this got during the recording. Maybe a video is what this needs; and to think we were thinking about 'Fairytale of New York' when this was in it's formative stages. Didn't quite pull it off methinks, but then, for me we were always gonna have trouble trying to top our last track.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove

i dont think a song like this is supposed to bite in right away. i made that b side statement because a lot of the time my favorite songs on an album are not the ones that get overplayed, but the ones that " creep " up on you. it is a really good song in every way.
The Anchors
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by The Anchors »

LML - one of the coolest sounding things I've ever heard on songfight. A really deep bass about 1/2 way through would have been bitching as hell though.

This song alone made me post something in the forum.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

reviews

Post by Ross »

So here’s more fodder for the discussion (as of this posting there are 38 posts in this thread and only 6 sets of reviews, whew)

Balance – Nice textures, not too engaging g to me either musically or lyrically – still trying to figure out if the duet is important to getting the song content – OK

Billy’s Little Trip – I like the feel overall, I always envy those who can make these kinds of changes work – the words are pretty obsured to me, which is making it hard for me to access the song (checking lyric board) – ok, not much help. My thoughts on titles: those who don’t give a crap may skip ahead. I see three basic ways ot interpret the title part of this contest and I tend to go for the strictest. (1) “Inspired by” (that’s how it’s phrased on the page) so the song doesn’t necessarily have to have this title, just be inspired by it. Under this interpretation I could have submitted “hey Jude” this week (except that I didn’t write it) because I own a Hey Jude album and it belongs to me. (2) I trust the artist that this song would have that title. (3) I buy the premise that if the artist put this song on an album it would have this title. I think most reviewers take approach #2, I tend to take #3. So Even though the song is interesting, I have ot grade it low for this title, because – even though you may have used the title as a starting point, I’m a #3 kinda guy. The horns are good, but a little shocking given the overall song genre. Good, but laregely because of my title issues (mine, not yours) I’ll give it an OK.

Contrapositives – Interesting that it’s about a bathroom and sounds like it was recorded in one J Not much here except that you’re singing about nose hair. – Thanks for playing.

Cranial Biffida – Hmm – Sounds like early industrial. I like this genre, however. This goes a little long without bringing in new elements (none I can hear anyway) that would have really helped. It gets a bit monotonous. Keeping adding doubles to the lead vox until it’s like a chorus of demons. Also, something to make the female vocal even a little more ethereal. Try harmonizing the lead vocal down an octave on the chorus too to add some creepy extra dark. I just say these thing because after a previous review you asked for specific suggestions, those are mine. – OK

Disciples of beer – I assume this is a spoof of a ballad – if not, either you or I needs more beer. The story doesn’t come off for me. - OK

DM6 – I like the effort, the concept of the song is really good I think. The performance is a little stiff I think (vocals in particular) and that takes a little of the delta blues punch out of it. Lyrically I feel a little picky here, but how can the protagonist have any dignity left if he’s letting this woman stomp on his face and take all his clothes? – Good

Handpuppets – Rookie of the week award for sure! I liket he way this sounds – it reminds me of that really noisy alternative rock from the early/mid 80s like Husker Du and early Jesus and Mary Chain. The chorus is really hooky and got in my head, unfortunately, when I did go look at the lyrics – they didn’t seem to hold up for me to the sonic landscape you’ve created here. Even so – Good

The Hell Yeahs – well, you don’t win the eclecticism award, that’s for sure. You guys are very good at this, but there’s something I can’t put my finger on that makes it sound like you’re trying hard to make a hell yeahs song. I have no idea if youthat makes sense, but it sounds like “Oh, and we should cuss” what would a grrrl be pissed about, “Oh, a 16 candles DVD” as always your rhymes are are tight and the hole thing really rocks. But the song sounds forced to me. OK

Jolly roger – Is that you playing the lead at the beginning? I don’t feel like I’ve heard you play that way before. Jolly Roger does metal – okay so here’s a little ecelcticism. Oooh, the vocals aren’t getting into the metal mix how I expected to hear them. You shold send the backing tracks and lyrics to the Ratt Poizon guy, this would kick ass. Nice tempo change break in the middle – very idiomatic. And through all that, I didn’t really notice what the words were about. OK

Jonathon Mann – So the song is about whatever – and in the chorus you write about the song. This is a content bias for me – I don’t like self referencial songs, especially whn that’s the point. Besides it takes all the pressure out of making the song actually relate to the title if you just turn the title around in the chorus. Other than that a pretty skillful, clever and well structured song. But my bias is gonna get me here – ok

Justin Case – The female vocals lack vitality compared to the male and I found that distracting. The chorus is catchy. The lyrics aren’t really pushing my buttons. But I like the build of the song. At the end I’m not quite sure what it was about. - OK

King Arthur – I like this one. Some high quality KA right here. This would be a great song to play someone to say – listen to this guy. I like your take and the way you pulled it off. Possible vote – great.

LML – ooh, this is spinning me right round baby. This is right in it’s pocket. Scorned and warned is good. I just saw a little bit of “Cheaters” on tv yesterday, this could be the theme song ;-) I wish the percussion changes you make throughout came through a little more clearly, because you’re obviously trying to keep it from being exactly the same each time, but it’s not quite coming off. A well mastered version of this could easily be a dance hall hit. Good +

Magnetbox – Some interesting sounds (and I commend you for giving credit to the bird song) The words while apparently heartfelt, come off as trite and some of the syllabic rythms are awkward. Unfortunately you’re in a fight where King Arthur took a similar take (although I recognize the differences)on the title and really nailed it. Also it’s unfortunate that your vocals don’t sound as good as the rest of the mix, just getting your vocals more in tune would help a lot. OK

Masterhyde – Genre Bias warning– I don’t get rap. Pretty interesting song all together – I’m sending it to a History friend of mine (but not till the voting’s over J) It’s so nice to hear rap that isn’t about itself. Good

MC Eric B – I wonder who you are, because this sounds to me like you’re spoofing songfight rappers. As I said above, it was so nice to hear a rap song that wasn’t about itself. I hardly even listen all the way to this ilk of song anymore – thanks for playing. [click]

Melvin – fun to hear you start on the acoustic here. Nice backing vocals. The first verse got my interest, but then you lose it from there on out. You sure know how to make it sound nice.”cancer?” Did you get the title wrong? – OK

Mile Lamb – This is an odd song. Is it supposed to be about the US. I don’t get the allegory if it is. It’s along way to go for a selfish son punch line. The instrumental breaks between verses are too long and stretch out the song story. In the end the story of listening to the battle just didn’t pay off for me. OK

Rone – Well, you’re better when you rap than when you sing. This thing of having an instrument play the same rhythm you’re speaking is really irritating and seems like an immature musical approach. You seem to want to be really good at this, I hope you’ll find a way to continue improving. Despite your lyrics, I just can’t really praise this. - Thanks for playing.

Ross (Me) – I feel good about his one. I actually really love folk and folk rock, so it’s nice to do it sometimes. I’m glad I changed the second verse, in the first draft I had the girl taking my dog. I think the drums turned out pretty good – wish I’d had time to do more harmonica takes (and that my harp had been behaving better). I also feel good about the last verse backing vocals.

Steve – Nice straightforward swing. Nice song structure. Good concept. Your vocals sound pretty good here – the “Joy to the World” lick is cute at the end. As someone else sadi – this seems “easy” for you. The trumpet solo is one of your best sounding, I think. It sounds very natural. – Good

Stylon Pilson – I encourage you to sing out more and try to ignore the mike – oh, the as they exist part gets there. Good take for the title, but the way the song is put together it just kind of bops along and doesn’t seem to reflect the mood of the lyrics all that well, the music seems somehow detached. By the way if you’re looking to sale down to one guitar, I could use 4 more ;-) It’s Weird that your song and Steve’s song (which accidentaly got posted under your name at first) are both 2:13 – OK+

TFTF – cool, you recorded while it was raining? It interesting take on the title. I like the way this holds together, some of your material seems less cohesive than this. I would say this is proabably the best thing I’ve heard from you. What did your neighbors think as you were screaming the chorus? I can see the title connection, but it seems a little weak. Good +

THP – Orchestration is ok, but the content isn’t getting me at all. This is sort of going in one ear and out the other for me and I can’t quite say why. One reason might be the fragmenting of the lyrics. Weird ending. – OK

A Decent and Interesting fight – to sum up
Top songs: King Arthur, LML
Second Tier: DM6, handpuppets, Masterhyde, Steve, and Thanks for the Frisbee…oh, and I like mine, too.

Lots of other decent songs as well – but these are the 7 I liked best.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
cbiffida
A New Player

Re: reviews

Post by cbiffida »

rdurand wrote: Cranial Biffida &#8211; I just say these thing because after a previous review you asked for specific suggestions, those are mine. &#8211; OK
I think you might have me confused with someone else. However, I do appreciate the suggestions.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street

rdurand wrote: The Hell Yeahs – well, you don’t win the eclecticism award, that’s for sure. You guys are very good at this, but there’s something I can’t put my finger on that makes it sound like you’re trying hard to make a hell yeahs song. I have no idea if youthat makes sense, but it sounds like “Oh, and we should cuss” what would a grrrl be pissed about, “Oh, a 16 candles DVD” as always your rhymes are are tight and the hole thing really rocks. But the song sounds forced to me. OK
:lol: Tee hee, this made me and Phil laugh! Yep, we write Hell Yeahs songs, that's what we do, so you hit the nail on the head there. We do have a "tough chick" thing going on, but it's fun and we like it! We were standing around in the backyard talking about what to write the song about and it went kinda like this. "Give me back my shit! That's good! But what's the shit I want back? My Sixteen Candles DVD! That's funny! Now lets make it violent! It's gotta be Hell Yeahs-y!" It's not forced really, it just happened that way.
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:
rdurand wrote: The Hell Yeahs – well, you don’t win the eclecticism award, that’s for sure. You guys are very good at this, but there’s something I can’t put my finger on that makes it sound like you’re trying hard to make a hell yeahs song. I have no idea if youthat makes sense, but it sounds like “Oh, and we should cuss” what would a grrrl be pissed about, “Oh, a 16 candles DVD” as always your rhymes are are tight and the hole thing really rocks. But the song sounds forced to me. OK
:lol: Tee hee, this made me and Phil laugh! Yep, we write Hell Yeahs songs, that's what we do, so you hit the nail on the head there. We do have a "tough chick" thing going on, but it's fun and we like it! We were standing around in the backyard talking about what to write the song about and it went kinda like this. "Give me back my shit! That's good! But what's the shit I want back? My Sixteen Candles DVD! That's funny! Now lets make it violent! It's gotta be Hell Yeahs-y!" It's not forced really, it just happened that way.
I didn't mean for that to come off as critical of The Hell Yeahs overall, what I was trying to say was that other songs I've heard from you sound more natural and this one sounded to me somehow more self-counscious. That's all - Rock on!!
Glad I made you laugh :-)
Ross
Jump

Re: reviews

Post by Ross »

cbiffida wrote:
rdurand wrote: Cranial Biffida &#8211; I just say these thing because after a previous review you asked for specific suggestions, those are mine. &#8211; OK
I think you might have me confused with someone else. However, I do appreciate the suggestions.
Yeah - I see that now -it was Magnetbox's post. I'm glad the suggestions were welcome though, no intent to write a hyper critical review.