Phantom Puppies Prefight

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

tviyh wrote:i think i have a problem, and i need to come to grips with it. i am ready to admit it. my sleep dependency is really eating into all other aspects of my life and preventing me from doing ... well ... pretty much anything else. help!
Are you working nights? I used to work nights a long time ago, in a bread factory. 12-hour shifts and a 6-day week. 7 till 7am. That was it really work and sleep. I was trying to learn bass guitar and keep up a yoga practice, but had to can it all. However, it wasn't long term, and after a few months I quit anyway.

Is this a new thing or is it just the winter drawing in? Hope it's not too long term. But you can't live like that, even if you do have bills to pay. And songs to write.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I don't know what to do. I'm already in for ABCDP, but I also wrote a silly little ZTP that I don't want to go to waste. Out of respect for the Songfight! rules, I don't want to submit twice, not even under two different band names, which I guess I could do. Does anyone want to try to cover my ZTP? Pm me if you're interested. It's silly, and short.

So here I was whinin' away about never having enough time and now I got more songs than I can submit. Consider all your justifiably indignant posts to that effect already posted and digested.

Pablo, no way I'm gonna make a side bet. I'm not nearly confident enough in my ABCDP to pit it against your inestimable talents, at any bit rate.

Hey, there should be bitrate handicaps every week. So people who are really good and gets lots of votes have a high (low?) bitrate handicap, and struggling newbies don't. That way, Josh and State Shirt and SOS and MCF have to submit at like 32 kbs mono, while people who never get votes can submit at 256 kbs quadrophnoic surround sound.

Anyway, PM me whoever wants to cover my ZTP.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

the Jazz wrote:
Kapitano wrote:Stuff
I don't know where you got all this "Stuff" from, man. But in the interest of defending my good name (or whatever), I said X, you quoted me and said "No, not Y, X!" Which is what I had said in the first place. So wrtfhkj.
Point 1: I quoted your entire post - both lines - and saw an ambiguity.

Point 2: What does 'wrtfhkj' mean?

Point 3: Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? That may or may not be the origin of the word used to describe the style of music. If it is, it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root. The other plausible etymology for 'jazz' is a corruption of 'jass' - a derogatory word referring to black Africans. There's obscure references to 'jass music' in the 1910s.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

tviyh wrote: some mornings i will go to bed, and set my alarm for like eight or nine hours thinking that will give me enough time to get some stuff done before i need to be at work that evening. and the alarm wakes me and i fall back asleep. and continue to fall back asleep until i've been in bed for like thirteen or fourteen hours and now i am in a cycle of working and sleeping and nothing in between! help!
When I first started my job here in Tampa... I fell into the same cycle. I was used to late nights from Atlanta where I often worked from 7pm - 4am and got up every day at 2pm. However, my new hours were all whack. I was scheduled 12-9am for two days, 12 - 10am, another day... 4am to 12pm on another day..etc... no two days off in a row... I got one day off at a time... and one of them was crap..it was like not even a whole day... it was something like 20 hours off because of the EFFED up schedule. I totally would sleep, try to get up... go to the beach..then go to work...then I'd get too sleepy to go to the beach and sleep through that. (Once I fell asleep at the beach...another story) Then I eventually, due to the crappy sleep I was getting in the first place... just sleep right up until I had to get up and go to work. After two months of that I got a girlfriend...put an end to that real quick. Sex is just as important as sleep.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Kapitano wrote:Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? That may or may not be the origin of the word used to describe the style of music. If it is, it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root. The other plausible etymology for 'jazz' is a corruption of 'jass' - a derogatory word referring to black Africans. There's obscure references to 'jass music' in the 1910s.
I heard that "j'ass" was black slang for "your ass", (meaning music you can shake your ass to?) I don't remember where I read it, and even that source wasn't sure if it was true.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Kapitano wrote:Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? That may or may not be the origin of the word used to describe the style of music. If it is, it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root.
<a href="http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/trilogy/ch ... ml">Figrin D'an and The Modal Nodes</a> is the best jizz band ever.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Puce wrote:
Kapitano wrote:Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? That may or may not be the origin of the word used to describe the style of music. If it is, it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root.
<a href="http://www.eyeonstarwars.com/trilogy/ch ... ml">Figrin D'an and The Modal Nodes</a> is the best jizz band ever.
Heck yeah. I'd so be their fangirl.
Songfighter since back in the day.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Can somebody explain why there are three songs in the Archive for ABCD Puppies (and they really are the ABCD Puppies songs), but when I click on the link to go to the discussion thread (called "ABCD Huskies") people are discussing about a dozen songs by entirely different artists? And the three songs that are in the archive aren't mentioned at all?

I have an idea for ABCD and was just checking to see if somebody had already used my approach... am I just having a senior moment or something???

EDIT: okay, "ABCD Huskies" is the review thread for "Husky Youth" (the artists match up). The Archive discussion pointer for "Husky Youth" points to somewhere nonexistent, so that should be tweezed, and if somebody can find a discussion for ABCD, that pointer should also be fixed... I'll go mention this in the QA thread...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

The Iron Clef is wokkin Zero to Phantom in 64K mono. Run for your knives.....
Hi!
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Kapitano wrote:Point 1: I quoted your entire post - both lines - and saw an ambiguity.
I hate when I get things stuck in my beard.
Point 2: What does 'wrtfhkj' mean?
Does the toadstool ask the rabid squirrel for spare change?
Point 3: Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? That may or may not be the origin of the word used to describe the style of music. If it is, it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root. The other plausible etymology for 'jazz' is a corruption of 'jass' - a derogatory word referring to black Africans. There's obscure references to 'jass music' in the 1910s.
According to "The History of Jazz", the latter etymology is the correct one.
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kapitano wrote: Did you know, in the late 1800s, 'to jazz' was slang for 'to have sex'? ... it means 'jazz' and 'jizz' share a common root.
Did you know that in common Australian slang, "to root" is a verb meaning (more or less) "to embrace tenderly without trousers". "Root" can also be a noun referring to the person being "rooted" eg. Dick rooted Jane. Dick said Jane is a good root.

All of this means that I found the abovementioned sentence very funny in a rather childish way.

This is why Australians barrack for their favourite sporting teams - because if you say I root for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, it has entirely different connotations.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

That's gotta be, like, my favorite aussie slang.

Meanwhile, Future Boy is in for Zero to Phantom. BRING IT ON THE IRON CLEF!! I WILL CLEAN YOUR PALATE!!
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Future Boy wrote:That's gotta be, like, my favorite aussie slang.

Meanwhile, Future Boy is in for Zero to Phantom. BRING IT ON THE IRON CLEF!! I WILL CLEAN YOUR PALATE!!
sake to me baby :lol:
Hi!
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

If I don't hear samples of that dude yelling something like "TOFUUUUBATTEL!" I'm not voting for your song. :P Consider this an ultimate tom!
Let cake eat them.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Finished my song for ABCD Puppies, but don't think that I'm going to be able to record it. Have a terrible cough so can't sing. I have posted the lyrics in the archive if anyone wants them. If you want the chords as well then PM me or email me. I have the day off, so if the cough gets any better then I'll have a go.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

The deadline-surfing behemoth that is the Cashpoint House of Hits may be producing two acts this week, one for each fight. Alternatively there may be none. it all depends ... so far I am unintimidated by the stated competition.

j$
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

...continue to be unintimidated, as I am unable to participate this week. ... I really couldn't think of anything beyond the titles, and I didn't realize I 'm going in for surgery tomorrow... I thought it was on Friday!!

So... no song for me.....sob...sob...
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:. I didn't realize I 'm going in for surgery tomorrow... I thought it was on Friday!!
Hope it's nothing too threatening (or embarrassing for that matter). Hope it goes smoothly, and by the time you return I shall be even further ahead in the posty charts ...

:)

j$
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

ah... it's a tooth removal... which I'm only worried about because apparently tooth removal effects memory!! Which, I suppose, could possibly be a plus depending on your perspective!! So, pretty minor surgery, but I'm getting knocked out for it cause it's shattered, and will supposedly be a difficult removal...plus, I love that feeling as you subcomb to the anesthic...fading....fading.....fading....fasdd..er.g...

Yeah, that rules.

...zero to phantom... all I could come up with was someone who goes from being a nobody to a dead nobody, or the whole sci-fi adventure airplane (aeroplane?) scenario... so I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone comes up with a theme that actually works and isn't one of those two!!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

j$ wrote:so far I am unintimidated by the stated competition.

j$
Apparently you didn't notice that I'm in this fight as well. Looks like I'm going to be in both fights, as no one wanted to record my Zero to Phantom.

<font color=brown>[font=something medieval-looking}O Johnny Cashpoint, I challenge ye in battle for the mighty crown of fourth place!!!</font>[/font]

Good luck in your surgery, Leaf. I had ALL 4 wisdom teeth out last week. It was LOADS of fun. I was under the impression that removing one's wisdom teeth robs one of wisdom, but I was informed that in truth, those teeth actually block your wisdom, so when they are removed, the wisdom is set free.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I'm in for ABCD puppies. it's a... interesting song so far. Father and daughter kinda thing. Daughter adores a boy-poppy-band called ABCD Puppies, and father detests them. All that jazz. I'm tempted to use SF "alumni" names as the bandmembers. Can you not just see a group of Songfighters getting together to form a boyband? :P
Songfighter since back in the day.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Bjam wrote:I'm in for ABCD puppies. it's a... interesting song so far. Father and daughter kinda thing. Daughter adores a boy-poppy-band called ABCD Puppies, and father detests them. All that jazz. I'm tempted to use SF "alumni" names as the bandmembers. Can you not just see a group of Songfighters getting together to form a boyband? :P
been there. done that.

http://www.songfight.org/music/needstil ... stilts.mp3
Hi!