Alphabet. P-U-P-P-I-E-S. Alphabet. (puppy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
blue wrote:JOS: Cole Porter much? OK look, you had a _great_ tune going, and then.. why.. why do you sing about your fucking job? Does anyone need to hear the line "interesting severance package" twenty times? I know it's hard to hear the mood of your own music, but, man, what a flub. The vocal timbre on the first parts of the song are really nice - you sound much better singing in that low range, for sure.
It has nothing to do with my job, or anyone's job. It is only syllables. Trying to adhere any significance whatsoever to the lyrics is utter folly. But what I take from the review is that it sounds like I'm talking about myself, so that's definitely a problem. Hmmm, oh well.

Thanks for the comment about the low range. I've wanted to try that out and was hoping someone would yay or nay it.
it's not your problem blue knows you so well jim :)
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

blue wrote:Singing in french, pronouncing it "aye beh suh duh."
i don't speak french myself, but the way "A B C D" was pronounced in the song, i assumed, was how the letters are pronounced in french.
(but i'm not trying to discredit your theory or anything!)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

I don't remember a lot from first year French class, but I do believe they are pronounced as

AH (as in a dentist asking you to say "ahhhh")
BAY (As in Tampa Bay, Green Bay,The Bay Area, etc)
SAY (Like the song "Say say say" by that magical duo, McCartney and Jackson)
DAY (As in "What day is it? What year is it?")

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

interesting. that's basically the same as german, except i believe "C" is pronounced more like "t'SAY" as in "what duzzat say?"
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Oddly enough, if memory serves... The following letters sound EXACTLY the same in French and English.

F
L
M
N
O

I think "S" also sounds the same.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Scoring Key: (Production, Performance, Song)

(FYI: I'm reviewing with headphones)

Bjam! (7, 7, 8)

Woohoo, full-band action! It sounds great. Very cute idea. The bass is charmingly cheesy, but I'd rather hear either a real bass or a really stanky-sounding Moog. The third verse at 2:05 didn't really add anything - I'd have rather heard some sort of a twist. One thing I don't understand is the faking the act part. After learning that, you still proclaim your undying love in the third verse. Maybe that could have been the ending twist? You want to go out and hunt them, and your dad helps? ;-) Great song, possible vote.

Caravan Ray (7, n/a, 6)

Entirely competent, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Carol Cleveland Sings (9, 9, 9)

Have I mentioned lately how wonderful you are? This is beautifully executed, with amazingly rich chord changes and mood shifts. This is what TMBG should be doing these days. This is completely spine-tingling in parts. The big falling bass riff in the chorus is wicked cool. Holy crap, this is good. Perfect song development, great length. One of your best. Probable vote, great job.
The Jazz

Instrumental.

Jim of Seattle (7, 7, 7)

The intro vocals are interesting, but the quirkiness doesn't match the seriousness of the music. And I don't know what OFMO is, so I'm lost there. The CZL5 part is also losing me, but it starts to develop a vague story. Great explosion part. This is really beautiful. I wish that the lyrics were a bit less obscure. I guess it's hard with a title like this, but it seems like you wasted a great song on it. The mix seems a little bit too "centered".. some stereo separation would take this to the next level.

Joshua and Lorrie (6, 7, 6)

This is really unbalanced with headphones. The music is boring, and the lyrics are lame.

Lesdipthongs (8, 8, 7)

Very interesting. I like the chord changes. Reminds me of something CCS would do. By the 1:30 mark it's starting to get kinda repetitive. It needs a big change for the chorus. Something really grand and majestic. Nice solo. The drums are really well-done. The Hammond might be a little overdone. It's good, it just takes over the mix. Nice dogs at the end.

Nihilisticcarebear

Hmm.

Roymond (8, 8, 7)

Ooh, I didn't see you in the list, kickass. Wow, the intro is frighteningly real with headphones. This is charmingly stupid. You are an odd individual. :D Not one of your more serious works, but it's a fun ride.

Vanilladragon (7, n/a, 4)

This intro is taking too long to get to the point. Once the spoken word part comes in, it doesn't really take me anywhere. It sounds like you're just screwing around over a drum loop.

CCS takes the cake. Mmmm... cake.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

joshw wrote: Roymond (8, 8, 7)
This is charmingly stupid.
Oh man, that's awesome. Spud! Add this to my profile quotes in the archive!

Instead of long written reviews I've featured my favorites from both fights on my songfight podcast: http://roymond.com/icn/

NIL
Carol Cleveland Sings
Jim of Seattle
Les Diphthongs *vote

and from the Blue fight:
Hostess Mostess
The Befores *vote
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I knew I shouldn't have repeated that bass line... It's NOT A SAMPLE. Only samples are the dog sounds. Jeez looeez.

And you overestimate my skills at producing anything - it took me two hours. Not that this is something to be proud of, but I like to contradict you.
Let cake eat them.
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

why did it just get so dark? Oh, the giant phallus that is

Post by vanilla ike »

blue wrote:Wreckdom: why did you submit this?

why did it just get so dark? Oh, the giant phallus that is

Blue has obscured the sun......hark! amidst the corona!, do you see? Witness the .....its not completely dark......periodical bursts of light streaming in shafts from near the top......is that movement?......can you make out what it is saying? I think it must be in some foul mood.........

or in other words.....dude, you're a penis.
if you plan to review drunk......at least make it humourous
oh......and hey! its nice to meet you, hope we can be friends.
Last edited by vanilla ike on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hahahaha. blue disappears off the face of the planet and the minute he gets back someone's calling him a dick.

i'm tellin ya, the guy gets no respect....
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I was totally stoked to see Blue doing some reviews! I thought the guy moved on to bigger and better things.

The reveiws WERE entertaining.... and IKE, I gotta burn you on the "YOUR" thing....It's a pet peeve of J$'s ya know....
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Leaf wrote:I was totally stoked to see Blue doing some reviews! I thought the guy moved on to bigger and better things.
there's nothing better than songfight!
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Roymond channels George Crumb and gets my vote!

Jim of Seattle and Bjam elbow their way past him, but he is just tall enough to regain the ground. And it's Roymond by a nose.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

les diphthongs - the luau guitar and organ are great. i feel like the vocals should be more upfront. this song has an excellent mood. it sounds like you should be singing in french. oh, wait, maybe you are. this is great.

jazz - the bloopy thing sounds like it's not always in time with the rest. amusing. haha, great ending.

jim of seattle - is there some meaning behind ofmo, czl5, and czl8? the gothic chorus is hilarious. it's like you're saying something incredibly important and moving, but it's all nonsense. ha! i do want more sense in there somehow. neat, though. good bells.

wreckdom - i like your instrumentation. pimpmobile daffodil? weirdos. what the heck does this mean?

joshua and lorrie - timing seems off. not bad. it's okay.

carol c - hey cool. i love it already. good use of long words. the mix feels a little "heavy." the music is great, the vox are cool, the mood is awesome. great track. prob my favorite of yours so far.

nihilistic - interesting sounds. the transition is pretty funny. no idea what you're saying in either part, but it was amusing.

caravanaray - i realized if i spell it wrong there's an "a" every second letter. ha! this is fun. boppy and cool. the western tremolo guitar is great.

bjam - cute, father and daughter duo. bjam's voice should be louder to match dad's. fun.

nil - oh this is the one that was sampled by fal. catchy beat. not gonna really review these old ones tho.

vanilla - kinda cool, but boy is it repetitive. the main beat, the keyboard line, should be changing a bit more. not bad tho.

roymond - hey catchy. i like the clanky percussion. ooh, nice vox. hmm, that break kind of messes things up for me. too odd? i don't really like all the laughing.

1: giant robots (old), les dipthongs, carolc, caravan, bjam, nil (old), roymond
2: jazz, jimos, wreckdom, nihil, prickly, vanilla

i'm not voting for an old song. they already had their chance.
listening to my top three now... i think i'll vote for carolc, but let's verify!
Yup, CarolC it is! My favorite!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

HeuristicsInc wrote:jim of seattle - it's like you're saying something incredibly important and moving, but it's all nonsense. ha!
You completely "got it". Hooray. Someone did at least.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

I thought it was brilliant. I love the perspective you bring to the lyrics. The seriousness juxtaposed with the plays on the nonsense of ABCD puppies is great. I'm not calling you old (really) but its clear you have done some living. Not too many other people here would come up with lyrics like "interesting severance package." I look forward to your songs when you enter them for this reason.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

Speaking of lyrics:

While just about everyone else here sounds like they are writing to the title Carol Cleveland Sings has an uncanny ability to write a song that sounds like the title flowed from whatever they have written. This week is no exception. Almost all of the songs not only find an incredible angle on the subject, but sound as though they were written independantly of the competition. They have proved that they are thinking on a different level.

Anyway JOS and CCS duke it out for the win.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Ahh, well, thanks. Now if only the voters agreed with you!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Ahh, well, thanks. Now if only the voters agreed with you!
Well Jim it appears they do !! :-) :lol:
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, is that jim's first solo win?
congratulations!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Wow... someone voted for me. How strange.

Oh, and the bloops were meant to be out of sync. I was trying to sort of rip off this really great ambient track that was on somesongs a while ago. But I didn't really come close.
http://artists.localsonline.com/souther ... OhHush.mp3
Let cake eat them.