Hello? May I speak to the Zero to Phantom Reviews?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Humbert wrote:second rate songs are being peddled to the public by using sex to sell it and Christina has made the choice to be a part of that. therefore as a musician i refuse to give her any respect, talent or no talent.
First off, I always like to point out that a pop-star's contract basically says “You have to do everything that your producer tells you to do, weather you like it or not and you don't really have a say in anything at all. You sing the music we write for you and you dress and act the way we tell you to. This is how you are going to get payed”. Christina simply finds herself in the same position as all the rest of us. We are all slaves to our Boss.

That being said, it starts to become clear that Christina didn't really make the decision to wear that in front of millions of people - as logically, no self-respecting woman ever would. It was the desire of her management, her producer.

Now, honestly, if I was Christina's producer, I would have probably told her to wear that skimpy looking outfit in the photograph. Why? Because in a strictly buiesness sense, (which is what I would be looking at if I was her producer) it's a good idea no matter what the outcome.

It's a win-win situation:

A) For the weak-minded slaves to corporate music, it just subliminally turns guys on and get positive attention in that way.

B) For the musicians out there who don't believe in the modern pop music warfare tactics it gives us something to complain about – Which is still technically attention, and does spread the word to others.

Some person in another country just learning English might stumble upon this review thread and decided to download some “Christa Agulara” because of all the controversy it caused in here – Once again fulfilling her producers goal of forwarding the word about the pop star and getting her music into the hands of the “A” type of people.

In short, Christina Agulara is just a slave to her Boss, told to be seductive on stage for financial gain. Not nessisarly a slut (though I don't really know her personally so one can never be 100% sure).

I do know, however, if you worked at Little Ceasers Pizza, eventually it's gonna be your turn to wear the “Cartoon-Ceaser” outfit, looking like a total idiot and waving a sign to passers-by on the road weather you like it or not.
Mostess wrote:
Future Boy wrote:Well, FWIW, it was supposed to sound like I was singing along to a casio. I'm not sure Hostess Mostess feel the same way about theirs, however. I'm a little baffled that you lumped us together. Their song was way better'n mine.
We were not trying to sound like we were singing with* a Casio.
Listening to your song by itself I'm actually really enjoying the lyrics. I think it was the fact that you came after Kelvinator. This caused me to not pay enough attention to your song in general. This is evident to me by the fact that when I was reading my own review post, I noted I gave a more extencive review to "Mc Shortbus", though I am confident you put more effort on your track then he did his.

And just so everyone knows, I plead guilty to actually singing with a Casio on SongFight a while back... that and a few other really crappy early back-when-I-had-just-turned-16-years-old tracks.
Southwest_Statistic wrote:Befores – I'm watching fairies bounce from rock to rock in my head.
I am such a dumbass, that is so funny... I can't believe I said that. Why the hell did I say "Faries"... I never relate anything to faries... What the freak...
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, it's all about controversy generating publicity. So to foil the evil music producers, let us never speak of it again, and return to reviewing the songs in the fight. :)

Also, I think you mean "business sense" instead of "business since", like "Stop Making Sense" instead of "It's been a week since I ate a good cheeseburger."
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

Lunkhead wrote:Also, I think you mean "business sense" instead of "business since", like "Stop Making Sense" instead of "It's been a week since I ate a good cheeseburger."
"Why, what on earth are you talking about?" said the Evil-Post-Editing-Person...
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

AMBER~~: Not digging this at all sorry.

AMPERS: Not getting into this. I am getting really bored with the vocals. There is little energy or feeling in the vocals. The hippy, protest style needs a strong vocal line, IMO.

BEFORES: Nice. Great vocals. Damn! I feel dirty listening to this, heh. Love the harmonies and overall layout of your song. A bit too long for my short attention span. Sounds are clipping pretty bad after 3 min. I am going to ignore that due to the extreme sensuality of your voice.

CHILI: The music is good, this needs a melody and content.

CREEP: I don’t like rap very much, especially white boy rap. This is entertaining music. The harmony and the bits you sing are very good.

DESHEAD: I don’t like this sound. It genera thing. After saying that. It is well sung(better if you were screaming), the playing is very good and the mix is ok. The lead makes me like this song for a while.

DREW: Sounds like Triumph the Comic Dog. This song is great… for me to poop on!

FREDDIE LOVE: I love the America feel to this song with a British accent. Not overly excited by the song. Guess I need to rock. Nice bridge. It doesn’t flow very well out of the bridge and the end doesn’t seem to have a point. Nice vocal at the end though.

FUTURE BOY: Out of all the people who overload on the Casio sound, you do it best. I don’t want to like this, just kinda pissy today. I do like it. Funny song, maybe this will make me less irritable.

GILSANS: I like the intro, but where is the song?

HOSTESSMOSTESS: Wow, another Casio song that I like. I may have to change my avatar to a smiling bunny or some shit. I love the guitar punched in. Nice voice.

IRONCLE: Zepplin drum line, Maybe I am not going soft. This is all the Casio suckyness I have come to expect. At least it is short.

JOHNNYCASHPOINT: I like the fact that you are experimenting with your sound. Your vocals are very Manic Street Preachers. Not my favorite song of yours.

JOSH WOODWARD: Production A+. I don’t care for the song though. Not close to the middle from you.

KELVINATOR: Nice acoustic. Wow, I wasn’t in a slow mood, but this is recorded wells. Nice vocals and feel. I don’t understand what you are talking about though.

KENSSUPER: I love the take on the topic. The guitar seems a bit too loud in the mix for me. Vocals are very nice. I like the song very much.

KOMP: Not much of a song here.

METAL: Not musically exciting at all. The harmonies are nice in spots. The vocals need better breath control. You sound like your afraid to be heard.

NARBOTIC: The playing is abysmal. The vocals are not much better. Sorry, I don’t like any of this.

MODKCREW: Starts out interesting. Um… nope.

NIPPLECREEK: Fun. Vocals and lyrics are average, the music is above average.

POORJUNE: I don’t feel this at all. The clipping and the limited presentation makes it hard to hear the song in there.

TRIPPED: Not bad, not great. The vocals are buried and since that is the only thing not a sample, I have to give this attempt a C-.

A lot of good and a lot of 0 to suck… My favorite is The Before. Many others come in second. Then the drop is tremendous.
NippleCreekFairy
A New Player

Post by NippleCreekFairy »

my..er..our reviews.

Amber: Sorta lacks luster...might be partly due to the compression rate. It doesn't leap out at me. Not crazy about the vocals or lyrics. Short and sweet. It's like a lost Joy Division track that didn't fair as well.

&&deflowers: This is kind of sweet. I'm not sure I really dig on it but it certainly has charm. I like the shaker and the intimacy of an acoustic recording. It even has sort of a live sound like it was recorded all at once with one microphone or something. Nice sound. Not sure I like the whole piece. Sorta grew on me though.

Afters: Portishead vibe totally going on... sounds like early Floyd synth in the beginning. But this is definitely a nice groove. Has the seductive female vocal thing which really sells the lyrics. Even if the lyrics are a little cliche. I don't care though, it's the mood and atmosphere that really gets me lost in this pretty melodic peice. One of my favorites this week. Downloading this. Good work all the way around.

Chilimack: I swear it's Ahrnauld soundin' short and sweet. Not a great song but certainly listenable for what it is. I liked it.

creep: ooooo, yur soooo kewl do0d!!!! I almost buy it. I get it..I like the concept. I also like the hooky repititious catchy phrasing of zero and phantom. The harmony parts are a nice touch. In the end I don't think it has staying power. I don't know. It sorta grew on me during the week. Maybe its' that normally I wouldn't like this type of thing...but maybe this one sorta wiggles it's way into me. Downloading it to find out.

DesH: I really like your entries... you entered with a different name last week right? I like your vocals and the passion you deliver. Nice production all the way around. Real talent here. You make me want to step up my production. I feel like I've sucked lately and I need to get back to form. You're inspiration for that. Very pretty song. Hooky " I must go, I must go" nice nice work.

drew: it's obvious that this is a fun fun song. Nice take on the title as well. The keys get a little old but you pull it off none the less. The concentration is the vocal track and that allows the other parts to roll on a bit unnoticed. Good work... I think this was the original winner..not hard to see why.

F-Love: You are surrounded. Put down Belle and step away from Sebastion. This is really nice. I could listen to a whole album of this...only when nobody is around so I wouldn't get picked on. Maybe a sunday afternoon while laying around playing with my cats. The soft vocals make this song. It's got a nice peaceful vibe and it's quite nice. I do appreciate this music.

F-Boy: I don't know if I get it. I'm not a big fan of this style of music although you always get points for a nice arrangement and production quality. I can always listen to your music. I may download this because it's a nice song to fit in when on my random selections. I don't think the singing is all that bad or anything. It may not be your best work but it's still better than some.

Gil: I like this song. This is good music. Very NYC sounding. I can see this on a dark stage at a club built underneath a 30 story building somewhere near the edge of manhatten. Maybe it has some Lou Reed sounding guitar licks in it... or just the mood. This is one of my favorites of the fight STILL. zeroooooo in harmony completes me.

HostMost: This is a weird song. Weird in a good way. Has a blend of 80's sounding music with 70's sounding vocals. Actually...very ...I bet I've read this somewhere too... Genesis? AND Peter Gabriel. Good stuff. I like the breaks/chorus's. The melody of the vocals is nice... simple but catchy. I've always liked your vocals. Has a very 'dry' sound that I can't achieve.

Fe-Clef: Not digging on it. I don't like the vocal sounds or the music. Not a bad attempt at music though. I can hear some effort but it runs out of steam as though the song went in unfinished.

J$.: This is one of my more favorable J$. songs. I think your vocal performance isn't half bad and it's catchy. It has a little of that snot nosed punk sound. I can sort of be a sucker for that. It's like you are writing a punk rock song with the wrong instruments. I sort of like that though. Angry folk music for older punks.
<b>
J-WOODUBLOWME: I know you get a lot of flack from folk about your constantly awesome songs. Right now, you are arguably the best songfighter CURRENTLY submitting songs on a REGULAR BASIS AT THIS TIME. I'm convinced that you have made a deal with the devil. ;-) I will continue to like your music as long as it's good. I havn't decided whether to hate you for it or not just yet... I'll have to keep investigating that before I take sides. THIS SONG IS AWESOME AND GETS MY VOTE....and you don't even have to email me! Your melody is very catchy and your production is excellent. All the instrumentation and execution sounds flawless. Very good. You get my vote. Keep me entertained week to week my man! Wait wait...I have to complain about something don't I? I'm not crazy about the sequenced key patch going on in the background. However, even that isn't bad... just not exactly to my liking.
</b>

Nator: purty. I like the guitar fills alot. I melt when I hear them. This is a really good song...another of my favorites this week. Probably my third or fourth in a succession of awesome entries. It's simple and full. Layered nicely. I dig all the guitar parts coming together the way they do as they provide a nice bed for some very soothing vocals that help bring the erratic guitar line back into check. Downloaded it..excellent song.

Superduper: Another effing kick ace song. Dancing at the top of this weeks charts. I really like that chord struck at the very beginning. As I said about the last song... the guitar filling is superb in this one too. The 'please come home tonight' parts are nice and hooky and make me want to listen to the song over and over again.

Kompressor: Very novel. Nothing kompessor do can ever be better than 120mph. It's not bad ...just not all that great for a novelty band ;-)

MCUSB: I do not like this at all. I don't think the beat is phat enough to carry it...the music isn't interesting enough to carry it..and the rap itself isn't enough to carry it.

MetalMaggie: This is cute. I like this song. I can't say I'm in love with the music...but it's just cute enough to get away with. It's the soft sweet and intimate vocals that allow this song to happen imo. I dig on it enough to have already downloaded it :-)

ModKAYcrew: Not sure whats going on here...but not really digging on it. It's like early wreckdom.

Narbotic: I always liked the sounds you created back then. Not crazy about your current band but I have always liked your solo stuff. This wasn't one of your best but it certainly has it's charms...I have this on my harddrive here at work somewhere to prove it ;-) I like it's dark and quiet sound.

NIPCREEK: Music was put together fairlywell..but the vocals got rushed. The eq doesn't help that much either... it's the most grating part of the song and the higher mids seem to assentuate every grating nuance of Hoblit's voice...and enhances every miscue, offkey note, and mistake there is in the song. too many lyrics.

PJ: I like the idea of this song. I'm not sure it comes together very well. Go back and re-record this sometime. There is a good song in there ... I can almost hear it.

PP: No sir, don't like it.

Trip: GLEEEEEEEEN! sorry dude, can't really get into it. I don't particularily like the 'sound'. Not my thing? you know the drill. I totally like you though normally. So keep up the <i>GOOD</i> work. Please, feel free to crack at Nipple Creek Fairies entry..it sucks too.

well, thats about it folks, cya some other time. Gotta tend to the sheep, if you know what i mean.
You know who I am
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i voted nipple creek fairies. i know it most likely won't win but it was my favorite song in the bunch. :)

(even if you hated my song... :evil:)
Hi!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

can't review. will post my favorites.
but damn, there are a lot of songs.

1:
new tracks: swstat, tripped, hostess, deshead, futureboy, kelvinator, joshw, befores, ken, creep, ironclef
old tracks: narbotic, drew, metalmags
2: freddie, june, brain, delicates, fairies, kompressor, gilsans, j$

the last befores song is one of my fave sf entries ever, this one isn't as good. but still excellent.
j$: i'd like to hear the fullband version. the stripped-down nature usually doesn't do it for me.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

oh, my possibly too-late vote went to josh. that song was excellent.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Lo these 9 days later, I continue to hum the refrain from Hostess Mostess's entry. It warrants noting that I cast my vote accordingly.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Was there actually clipping on the final mix of The Befores? Or was there just [possibly intentional] overdriving/overloading on some of the tracks (drums/bass/guitar at least) before the final mix? If I recall correctly the vocals continued to sound clean while some of the other tracks sounded like they were clipping.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Lunkhead wrote:Was there actually clipping on the final mix of The Befores?
In the heavy section, I see a lot of these bad boys. (Capped in Sonar with The Befores MP3 loaded.) I know the shape well 'cause I often include it in my own songs. :-o
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

Lunkhead wrote:Was there actually clipping on the final mix of The Befores? Or was there just [possibly intentional] overdriving/overloading on some of the tracks (drums/bass/guitar at least) before the final mix? If I recall correctly the vocals continued to sound clean while some of the other tracks sounded like they were clipping.
yep, it was actually intentional. i love distorted trashy loops and that's the part that sounds like it was clipping. there's also heavy distortion on the guitars and bass.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

ok, somebody is seriously pulling my chain now. i had nothing to do with this, although i find it pretty amusing.

as much as i'd like to win, i can't claim this one. JB and/or Spud, please give it to the runner up. i mean, seriously, i didn't even vote for myself, i voted for hoblit....
Hi!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Humbert wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:Was there actually clipping on the final mix of The Befores? Or was there just [possibly intentional] overdriving/overloading on some of the tracks (drums/bass/guitar at least) before the final mix? If I recall correctly the vocals continued to sound clean while some of the other tracks sounded like they were clipping.
yep, it was actually intentional. i love distorted trashy loops and that's the part that sounds like it was clipping. there's also heavy distortion on the guitars and bass.
If you look at the wave form it is quite clearly clipping and it ain't artsy, it's distructive. I love the heavy instrumental tones and I voted for it and featured it on my podcast on Thursday, but OUCH, man...I file that under bad production values. Sorry. But that's just my view. Great song.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

jack shite wrote:ok, somebody is seriously pulling my chain now. i had nothing to do with this, although i find it pretty amusing.

as much as i'd like to win, i can't claim this one. JB and/or Spud, please give it to the runner up. i mean, seriously, i didn't even vote for myself, i voted for hoblit....
Hey jack, don't give a trophy back if you didn't steal it. But the page says the Drew got third, instead of The Befores.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

roymond wrote:
jack shite wrote:ok, somebody is seriously pulling my chain now. i had nothing to do with this, although i find it pretty amusing.

Hey jack, don't give a trophy back if you didn't steal it. But the page says the Drew got third, instead of The Befores.
all i'm saying is i demand a recount. if i won legit, i will retire.
Hi!
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

roymond wrote: If you look at the wave form it is quite clearly clipping and it ain't artsy, it's distructive. I love the heavy instrumental tones and I voted for it and featured it on my podcast on Thursday, but OUCH, man...I file that under bad production values. Sorry. But that's just my view. Great song.
well, you've got me there. i may have got a little heavy handed with the l2 ultrasuperpainmaximizer :-)
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i re-listened to the fight a lot of keepable music in it... but kel would've still got my vote
but i did enjoy futureboys song a lot more on the second listen...

congrats jack \m/
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

uhhhh yeah....

Post by creep »

OK....something that sounds like it was played on a casio beats all these good songs......yea right. I'm starting to wonder about the voting system here, on the reviews, I didn't see many people voting for this one. Whatever.....maybe I should put my Roland xp-80 up and break out a super walmart board.....or maybe i'll retire my Emu Mo-Phatt keyboard for a 69.99 target Casio. This fight was an eye-opener for me. Looks like I'll have to get my good friends on here to vote. goodnight
America....what's the word?
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

i don't own a casio. and my friends wouldn't have voted for me, even if i had friends.
Hi!
creep
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by creep »

oh is that you?....you're pretty cool so don't take any offense. After reading the ecclectic tastes of most people on here (What are you listening to board) i'm starting to understand. I just really felt that a few of those songs were better. nothing personal
America....what's the word?
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

hey, i'll be the first to say that probably every song but one was better than mine. like i said, i'm as baffled as everyone else is.

after being in over 50 songfights (and having won once or twice), i hope people that are familiar with me give me the benefit of the doubt. my song was fun for me to do but was hardly the best song. that honor would go to the befores, or josh, or ken, or deshead, or freddie love, or them nipple creek fairies that i voted for. take my votes out and the order lines up more the way it should. hell, i'd be surprised if i got one legitimate vote.

if 25 people actually voted for me, they are fucking crazy.
Hi!