Skelton, Foxx, Buttons and Skates (Red Skates reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
moboid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by moboid »

Fried wrote: Loose Laces Good feel. "Make you dance like you have ass in your pants"?!? Catchy.
We can't take credit for that line... it's a direct quote (totally coincidentally) of the "guest cover artist," who we're big fans of.

Plug:
http://www.achewood.com/shop/appm_dspec_premt_qsass.php
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Here is what I thought about as I listened to the songs:

creep: Kind of boring, not enough variation to make it interesting. The music is very repetitive, the lyrics are kind of non-descript, the melody isn't very exciting. I do not like this song.

King Arthur: I've got the same things to say every time I hear a song of yours, namely that they all sound the same. Okay, "triple Gillooly" is truly funny, and saves the song for me. This song is okay.

Leaf 62: Hmmmm, the fratty funk metal sounds here aren't really doing anything for me. The song itself seems okay, until you start with the part where you sing "Red Skates" over and over, that just seems like such a weird lyric to hear against this music. Especially the music at that part, which I kept wanting to turn into "Smoke on the Water", but then it never did. I think this song would be better if the refrain wasn't "Red Skates. I don't really care for this song.

Likely Lads: This song is too weinery sounding, and the chorus lyrics are hard to make out. Or rather, you can kind of make out some of the words, but not other words. "Just like _______ Lady in Red, I got red skates on my mind" What phrase goes there? Crystal bus? Crystal bugs? Cristobals? Oh, this song is too short, could have stood for a guitar solo or something, and then a singalong ending of the chorus repeated forever. I would have liked that. Meh, this song is okay, but it could be a lot better.

Loose Laces: mmmmmmm, synthy pop. This sounds like a lot of fun. The shift from the fast chorus to slowed down other part is kind of awkward, but then the shift back to the fast part again is really cool. The chorus is really nice here, man I could really hear it about a bajillion times at the end. Nice lyrics. Nice song.

Mediteraniem: Nice Costelloesque tune here, red shoes, red skates, nice. hmmmm, the psychodrums are cool, but they go on too long with no (apparent) variation, if they had little fills and whatnot it would really push the song along. The lead guitar tone is very weinery, when it should be more blazing rock kamikaze. Chorus is really good and catchy."Her skirt pulled up by invisible strings" is a really cool line, lots of cool lines in the chorus. Guitar solo is too long and meandery, it kills the momentum you have building. The bridge after the guitar solo is unnecessary, we've just sat through the guitar solo that we haven't heard, and now it's this lame Bon Jovi throw away bridge that we haven't heard either. Just go back straight into the chorus from the guitar solo. Harmonies would sound really good all over this song. This song, I like it.

Pipefist: Eeek, you don't nail the part where you start singing, and that sets a bad tone. Then you don't nail the end of the first section, or the start of the next one. This song, overall, is okay, but it's really easy to ignore. There's nothing in the melody or the instrumentation or lyrics that really jumps out at me and makes me take notice. This song's okay, but I don't really care for it.

Poor June: Lyrics are weird, like someone who can't open up to his shrink so he writes a song instead. Too much crammed into each line. Different lyrics would make this a better song. I'm finding it easy to ignore this song like the last one. I don't care for this song.

sugarpotsgamelan: The beginning music reminds me of that one Brady Kids tune where they're all "I think I'll go for a walk... SUNSHINEY DAY!!!" Lots of tunes have the same two chord back and forth thing going on as an intro, but I'm transported back by listening to the intro. And that's too bad, because when you start singing, I don't think about that song at all. Nice lazy vocals. I wish this was better recorded because it sounds really cool. errr, that one part towards the end, it sounds like you've started singing an oasis song "and all the lights that lead us there are blinding" The repetition starts to wear after a while, it feels like the song should be building up to some sort of different coda at the end, but it's not there. I'd hope you got more songs in you, I'd like to hear them. This song is okay by me.

Wreckdom: (I'm a man) I'M A BOY (I'm a man) WELL I'M YOUR MOTHER (I'm a man) I'M A ONE NIGHT STAND hahahah, nice. This is psychotically retarded, congrats, it made me laugh.

TA-DA

Okay, now you.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Tremble before my poor grasp of the English language!!!

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

15-16 Puzzle
What I liked: The start reminds me of They Might Be Giants. I hope the comparison doesn’t irk you but the mixture of clear enunciation and sudden sing songy touches reminds me a lot of John Linnell’s lyrical stylings. Neat transition at 0:35, cool pace, very easy on the ears. I enjoy the clever lyrics, and I thought the extra voices were a nice touch. The scream and rata tata solo was a pleasant surprise, very entertaining.
What I didn’t like: I kept expecting there to be more instrumentation eventually, like a sudden explosion or something, I thought it could’ve really used that.

Creep
What I liked: Nice drum beat and the dual voices are nice and groovy. Slick. The synth bassy sound and xylophone sound work together very well. Dig the goofy voices, pleasant variety. This is fun and subtle, music wise and lyric wise. Ends well and not a moment too late. Good job.

King Arthur
What I liked: Very nice vocal performance, and it’s recorded really well, too. These are fun and sharp lyrics and a great take on the title, but I bet you get that a lot. Instrumentation fits together naturally, mixed perfectly, too. Wouldn’t be surprised if this wins.
What I didn’t like: I don’t like that islander vibe, just rubs me the wrong way. You know, I’m a huge Ween fan, and they do this Jimmy Buffet knock off called “Bananas and Blow” that is my least favorite Ween song.

Leaf 62
What I liked: How could I not like this song? This is like the goofy metal bands of my youth. I remember reading about your concept for this title and thinking “how in the hell is he gonna make THAT work?” and you did! The songs lyrics are slick and the title does not seemed forced at all. Especially like the sudden stops w/one second of silence, very cool. Vocal performance confident without taking itself too seriously, and that metal guitar has this naughty schoolboy attitude, seems so familiar. I dig this a lot.

The Likely Lads
What I liked: I really dig what that bass player is doing, that’s hot.
What I didn’t like: This is like Emo or something? I don’t know man, the whole sensitive heartfelt nature of this tune is a real no go with me, especially those vocals.

Loose Laces
What I liked: Right at the start I’m enjoying the psychotic kiddie t.v. show on acid feel. Sweet vocals, very amusing. This is put together real well. The instrumentation is clever, it’s super duper fun, everything snaps together really well. Let me mention once more how awesome the vocals are. Dang.
What I didn’t like: Got tired of the ass motif before the songs end.

Mediteraniem
What I liked: The chorus has an appealing 80’s feel. Vocals and rhythm guitar sound good together.
What I didn’t like: I would drop that lead guitar, it’s like the lead guitar, the vocals/rhythm guitar, and the synth/drums all have different songs they want to do and no ones willing to compromise. Seldom does this song seem to gel. Also, too long. This song needs a short and sweet guitar solo, or maybe even none at all.

Pipe Fist
What I liked: I think the dark, folk songy lyrics are nice. Then they turn graphic and that’s double cool. Lyrics like this really appeal to a morbid fuck like me. It’s a good story. I like the nuances of the low resonate guitar, mandolin, synth voices and especially the train track noises, very nice.
What I didn’t like: When your voice hits some higher pitches (the chorus) it starts to work itself out of place. Doesn’t fit as well. A minor complaint about a cool song.

Poor June
What I liked: I appreciate the low fi sensibilities of the recording. Are people giving you a hard time about that? I assumed it was on purpose and I like it. Really like the two piano tracks, and the echo on the vocals at the end, probably my favorite part, a somewhat haunting finale.
What I didn’t like: That moody yet disinterested feel of the vocals just turns me off right away. Reminds me of some stuff I already decided I wasn’t into.

Sugarpot Gamelan
What I liked: Yay, more pretty female vocals. I hope this trend continues. How can I say this, the music is muddled in a good way. It’s like I can’t tell what all is going on in there but it sounds really cool, very playful and toe tap inspiring. I like the odd and unpredictable changes. This is very nice, weird in a way that could have been obnoxious but isn’t.
What I didn’t like: The vocals are way too quiet. Is she listening to the same song? They frequently seem out of place in an awkward, not on purpose sort of way.

WreckdoM
What I liked: What I most enjoy about this one is that I tried to do something different with my vocals and I honestly don’t think that sounds like me at all, and I like how they turned out.
What I didn’t like: We talked for a while about how to flesh this one out more but couldn’t think of anything. I like it but it still seems unfinished.

This was a great fight and I’m having a hard time picking a winner. I’ll let you know…
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Future Boy »

A member of Wreckdom got tired of an ass motif? I don't beeleeb it! :wink:
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Future Boy wrote:A member of Wreckdom got tired of an ass motif? I don't beeleeb it! :wink:
OH My DOG! You are right. I must run outside now and see if we are in the Apocalypse.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

two things you could try:
1. submit the wrongly titled song anyway - this has been done before; you may get mocked, but people will review it. of course, this time it's too late for that now.
2. submit it to the site called somesongs for feedback. you will need your own webhosting that allows direct links to mp3s.
welcome.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

15-16 puzzle wrote:What parts did you find to be dischordant?
I think it was just some of the guitar stuff when you went for speedier riffy changes. Don't get me wrong, I like what you do, I just can't listen to a guitar and a voice in that style for three minutes without any other instrumentation or something to keep my attention. I think if you'd put some drums in there with maybe a second distorted guitar to beef up some of the sections it'd be a complete winner.
Puce wrote:Likely Lads: Emotastic. Vocals are a little rough in places. This song feels longer than it actually is, which is not a good sign. 6
Firstly, if we're being emo then it's Tongue in Cheek, the chorus is "Just like Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red I got your red skates on my mind", if you think we're serious about identifying with the monobrowed purveyor of all that is filth then you must be mad!
creep wrote:6. Likelylads-- This ones pretty tight too, so far this is a good fight. There is nothing particularly wrong with this one, I'm just not feeling it like some of the others.
Cheers
Richard WreckdoM wrote:The Likely Lads: Not my thing. I will say though that mix is smooth. Everything fits together very nicely. I would imagine you have a bit of a well deserved following.
Thanks man, I had a feeling our styles would probably clash after hearing your tune. :) As for the following: we're working on it...
fried wrote:The Likely Lads I like the type of music and you do it pretty good. The only issue is your vocals in parts are flat. You have a great voice other than that. The song isn't keeping me... Gin Blossoms?
Thanks very much, there's actually two of us singing there, and I guess you're talking about Gareth's voice being great, mine's the more bland vocal on the first two lines of each verse and the chorus. Thanks for listening
15-16 Puzzle wrote:Likely Lads: This song is too weinery sounding, and the chorus lyrics are hard to make out. Or rather, you can kind of make out some of the words, but not other words. "Just like _______ Lady in Red, I got red skates on my mind" What phrase goes there? Crystal bus? Crystal bugs? Cristobals? Oh, this song is too short, could have stood for a guitar solo or something, and then a singalong ending of the chorus repeated forever. I would have liked that. Meh, this song is okay, but it could be a lot better.
First off, this, like all of our songfight entries has to be taken with tongue planted firmly in cheek. The lyrics you're searching for in the chorus are "Just like Chris De Burgh's Lady In Red..." but I guess it's our fault if you couldn't discern them. If you don't know Chris De Burgh is an awful English singer songwriter from the 80s who penned a hideous ode to his wife called Lady In Red. A nation vomitted. hence the jokey nature of the reference. I agree we could have done more with the outro, intros and outros seem to be a problematic area for us. Thanks for listening and the comments
Geoff WreckdoM wrote:The Likely Lads
What I liked: I really dig what that bass player is doing, that’s hot.
What I didn’t like: This is like Emo or something? I don’t know man, the whole sensitive heartfelt nature of this tune is a real no go with me, especially those vocals.
Hey thanks for the compliment on my bass playing. I think the above stuff about us playing around will address the emo issue.

Thanks to everyone for listening and commenting and reviewing. keep it coming guys!
SaxManRunning!
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by SaxManRunning! »

I listened. I planned on reviewing but no time now.

So... I liked.

The king, The puzzle, and a guy named leaf.

I didn't like.

Wreckdom, TestTube, Pipefist

The rest. Well, maybe I'll do those reviews later.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Scoring Key: (Production, Performance, Song)

15-16 (7, 7, 8)

I like the stops in the intro. This works pretty well as it is, but drums and bass would help this a bit. I like the Dead Milkmen feel. This could easily be tedious and boring, but you do a great job of interesting chord changes and structural variation. The ending repeated too much. Good song.

Creep (7, 7, 6)

The drum loop is good but overused. The open hi happens a bit too much. The verse synth is repetitive. By the minute mark this is really starting to run into novelty territory. There's just not much here to chew on.

King Arthur (8, 7, 7)

Seriously, you need to talk to the South Park producers. Every time I hear one of your song intros, I feel like I'm watching an SP musical number. As usual, you pull off what you're aiming for, it's just not really my thing. Nice steel drums - they give this a unique feel. Good job on keeping this short - this is fun for two minutes, it'd be tedious for 3 or 4.

Leaf62 (7, 7, 7)

Hah! You thought you could rip off Scatterbrain and have nobody notice! No such luck. :) Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. This is good. Fun feel, interesting changes.

The Likely Lads (7, 7, 7)

This is definitely good, but the verse is a little bland. The chorus is good, though. I think the vocal delivery on the low parts is a little weak. This is ok, but it's not really grabbing me.

The Loose Laces (8, 8, 7)

The intro was a little odd, but I like it, especially when the drums come in. Great stuff once the vox come in. I can't tell if they're pitchy or if you have too much pitch shifting effect. The beat is great, lots of little touches. A little lacking in the treble. I don't like the lyrics - too much ass fetish, and the chorus repeats too much. The lyrics detract a lot, actually, this would be fantastic with different lyrics.

Mediteraniem (7, 7, 7)

Neat feel. I don't like the little guitar solo stabs, though. Good drumbeat. I like the chorus. The lyrics are kinda funny, but this music is good enough to hold up without novelty lyrics. The first part of the guitar solo reminds me a lot of a dizzy version of a Fountains of Wayne song (can't remember which one). Nice "blind" line.

Pipefist (6, 6, 6)

You used "man" twice in the first part of the first verse, which seemed a little awkward for some reason. Your pick strumming is too loud starting at :40. I never really got pulled into this, even though I wanted.

Poor June (5, 6, 7)

The first part of the verse had a pretty tired piano part, but the part starting at :30 is better. The rambling part at 1:05 was really good. The overdubbed high piano part would be better as another instrument, since it's not possible to play all that on the piano at once. Better than average!

Sugarpotgamelan (5, ?, ?)

I love gamelan music, but this isn't really what I had in mind. :) I think the production is getting in the way, it sounds really distorted. I can't hear a word that's being sung, and the music isn't really interesting to hold on its own. Great instrumentation, though.

Nothing here really blew me away, but there wasn't anything really bad, either. I think Loose Laces gets my vote.
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator

Let's Try This Again: Loose Laces

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Please ignore my idiotically created new topic.
-----
Is that you, Liz Enthusiasm?

My vote for Red Skates is currently between Creep and Loose Laces, with Likely Lads in 3rd place.

*Sigh*

I wish we could place ranked votes. ^_^ But, then again, it's Song Fight, not Song Challenge or Song Fair Game
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

A_Likely_Mike wrote:
15-16 puzzle wrote:What parts did you find to be dischordant?
I think it was just some of the guitar stuff when you went for speedier riffy changes. Don't get me wrong, I like what you do, I just can't listen to a guitar and a voice in that style for three minutes without any other instrumentation or something to keep my attention. I think if you'd put some drums in there with maybe a second distorted guitar to beef up some of the sections it'd be a complete winner.
Oh, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like the song or the recording, I was just curious as to which parts were dischordant to you.
moboid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Re: Let's Try This Again: Loose Laces

Post by moboid »

Gemini6Ice wrote:Please ignore my idiotically created new topic.
-----
Is that you, Liz Enthusiasm?
This question made me chuckle uncomfortably. No.... and I swear i'm not trying for that. It's just the way I sound if I'm relaxed. Our musical style certainly doesn't help differentiate, either.

And those of you who mentioned my pitch, yeah, i'm generally a little flat because I don't get enough practice. This song wasn't pitch corrected at all, though I'm not against Antares, in general. If the timbre of a take is good, I'd rather keep it and fix the pitch, then risk a re-take that doesn't have the right overall feel. But we were moving fast on this one, and submitted it with vocals au naturale.
vanilla ike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

reviews

Post by vanilla ike »

for the following reviews i first listened to the song, then listened again while reviewing

1. Test Tube Steak....well, intro had me curious and at first the distorted vox had me..then not....almost completely incomprehensible....the melody line was well...I am going to move on to hopefully a longer more well thought out submission ...i'd like to hear what you were going for, this whole thing fell short.....
2. Pipe Fist...let it known that i am a fan of the narrative song, and that i wanted to like this song...i dug the train sounds...your voice doesn't go as low as you want it too in this, you could fix that with a capo or your pc, but you failed to....no biggie. The bass line echo that starts b4 the jones creek bridge line creates an annoying phasing thing, i dont think works here.....overall i dig the effort...but it needs more work to be a contender
3. Mediteraniem...needs a stronger intro...the guitar is a fraction behind the beat not confident enough....I dig Sonic too...guitar solo is close, but off....I'm sure you are aware of this....i dont know why i dont like this on the second time listening.....perhaps it doesn't change enough....could be better with work.....dont remember having heard anything from you cats before....
4. WreckdoM......ahhhhh yeah....certainly i am biased but i didn't participate in this one, so not as biased as usual....i love that wreckdom wrocks it weekly...awesome vox by Geoff Wreckdom....and the idea of this character with red skates as a defining element of his being makes me chuckle...how many folks define themselves by their "red skates"........awesome
5. The Likely Lads...vocals need to come to the front more and hone the tone....perhaps less high hat....seems a bit tedious out that much....the vocal tuning is buggin me...pretty rings was better the second time....surely you know this...but you could have fixed it....good entry but it doesnt grab me
6. 15-16 Puzzle...15-16 Giants...are you intentionally affecting their vocal stylings...and then you evoke a bit of Paul Rubens.....well..it's a nice playhouse anyway, i'm on a vocal tuning kick but you miss the mark tuning wise before the scat part, which i dig and overall i dig this whole thing, but feel it would be better with a bit more instrumentation....
7. Sugarpot Gamelan...good voice...why hide it in back...too muffled, the sesame street thing is hard to deal with all the way through....especially hard the second time around....perhaps if it was behind the keyboard....i have no idea what you are singing....but your voice almost makes me want to find out...almost....7 songs in and still no clear contender
8. Poor June...sing with confidence brother.....you sound as though you are trying not to be heard......screw the neighbors...its songfight not songdisagreement...your lyrics and instrumentation are good but the vocal delivery is flatlining...maybe jump an octave somewhere.....i dont know, but doubling at the end....nah...well, could be so much more.....
9. King Arthur....overall tight submission......but the island vibe misses me, and the ancient history that i wish i was unaware of is ancient history.....not that it is not clever....would like to hear that sort of cleverness applied to something recent
10. Loose Laces...ive been looking forward to listening to this....considering the ass discussion on the board...i like the intro...nice build up, a stretch with the common bottom thing.....this song is good in that it will encourage those new to songfight...certainly they will be able to at least match the quality of this submission.....have to agree with Geoff WreckdoM.....too much ass.....even if it is a sign of the paco's lips.
11. Creep...liking the intro......singing could use intent....i like the all skate part.....pretty weak submission.......you can do better
12. Leaf 62...yeah....i dig it.....you know what i think might kick it up? bullhorn baby....this song needs bullhorn.......the only thing i dont groove on is the vocals sound teenage....bullhorn could beef it up.....glad i made it all the way to the end......
the best quotes are from the same source : anonymous
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

2. Pipe Fist...let it known that i am a fan of the narrative song, and that i wanted to like this song...i dug the train sounds...your voice doesn't go as low as you want it too in this, you could fix that with a capo or your pc, but you failed to....no biggie.
Funny thing, too. When I wrote the song, I had just woken up, so my voice was all deep and sounded just fine. I really should've used a capo, but I wanted that deep voiced sound. My voice just isn't appropriate for that, though. I should've raised Johnny Cash from the dead and had him sing it.
Miss Emerald
A New Player

Post by Miss Emerald »

I knew when I submitted this that something was horribly wrong with the vocals. But I didn't know what. The sound of my voice is nearly enough to make my eyeballs bleed so unfortunately what seems like "too quiet" to most is "painfully loud" to me. I guess next time I'll take it to "painfully loud" and then take it up a couple of notches to "completely unbearable" and see where that puts me.
In an interesting sidenote, I nearly froze to death mixing this, because my little tiny heater kept blowing the breaker and I finally gave up and just turned the stupid thing off. It's awfully cold out in my parent's garage here in Kansas.

also: The fellow who made the Yo La Tengo remark has been the highlight of my week. The chap who used the phrase "limp dick" brightened my day, because, although I feel like that was perhaps intended as an insult, as a solitary girl I am quite glad the phrase "raging hard-on" was not brought to mind. And to the guy who likes gamelan music: I really hope you weren't expecting a giant ensemble of Indonesian percussionists to somehow create and record a brand new piece of music in a week and also make it about a pair of skates, because if you were I've really let you down. Thank you very much for the constructive feed back and the unexpected compliments. I'll try to put it them use in the future.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

15-16 puzzle wrote: Poor June: Lyrics are weird, like someone who can't open up to his shrink so he writes a song instead. Too much crammed into each line. Different lyrics would make this a better song. I'm finding it easy to ignore this song like the last one. I don't care for this song.
yea... i sort of felt the sameway after listenin' to it for awhile... but... couldn't think of much else for a song called red skates...

vanilla ike wrote: 8. Poor June...sing with confidence brother.....you sound as though you are trying not to be heard......screw the neighbors...its songfight not songdisagreement...your lyrics and instrumentation are good but the vocal delivery is flatlining...maybe jump an octave somewhere.....i dont know, but doubling at the end....nah...well, could be so much more.....
it's not so much that i didn't sing with confidence... but i have no pre-amp or nothing... that's about as loud as i can possibly sing... without clipping... or without standing across the room (and usually that doesn't sound right... not that this necessarily does... but soon soon i shall have somethin') (do agree there could be more... but... i made the song all at once... i intended on working on it before i sent it in more... but... got sidetracked... so first takes are first takes
joshw wrote: The first part of the verse had a pretty tired piano part, but the part starting at :30 is better. The rambling part at 1:05 was really good. The overdubbed high piano part would be better as another instrument, since it's not possible to play all that on the piano at once. Better than average!
yea... i usually like the piano over piano sound... but... i could try somethin'...
Geoff WreckdoM wrote: What I liked: I appreciate the low fi sensibilities of the recording. Are people giving you a hard time about that? I assumed it was on purpose and I like it. Really like the two piano tracks, and the echo on the vocals at the end, probably my favorite part, a somewhat haunting finale.
What I didn’t like: That moody yet disinterested feel of the vocals just turns me off right away. Reminds me of some stuff I already decided I wasn’t into.
low-fi isn't necessarily on purpose i don't have the ability to make anything that isn't... but it's cool you like...
(agree about the vocals)
Fried wrote: Poor June Ditto what I said to Pipe. Wasn't there a charity drive to get you better recording equipment?
yea but none of the software that was givin'... worked on my computer... sooo..... i'll have to actually buy stuff if i want somethin' to come out of this (broke as shit) someday
[/quote]
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

Poor June wrote:it's not so much that i didn't sing with confidence... but i have no pre-amp or nothing... that's about as loud as i can possibly sing... without clipping... or without standing across the room (and usually that doesn't sound right... not that this necessarily does... but soon soon i shall have somethin') (do agree there could be more... but... i made the song all at once... i intended on working on it before i sent it in more... but... got sidetracked... so first takes are first takes
[/quote]

If you're letting your microphone settings dictate how you sing, then you really ought to fix that. If your mic is really that hot, try plugging into the line in rather than the mic in. Better yet, see if turning the record level of the mic down helps. Worst case, if you need to back away from it, try to create a "padded" environment with blankets and chairs to minimize the room sound.

I can't imagine clipping in your situation, though. Are you sure you don't mean popping? A piece of panty hose stretched across a deformed coat hanger should fix that up, if so. Just stick rig it to hang halfway between your mouth and the mic.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Poor Poor June,
I just came back from NC a week ago. If I had noticed where you lived I could have set up a charity drive. :) What kind of microphone are you recording with? I may be able to help with that if you want. PM me.
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Fried wrote:Poor Poor June,
I just came back from NC a week ago. If I had noticed where you lived I could have set up a charity drive. :) What kind of microphone are you recording with? I may be able to help with that if you want. PM me.
Yeah and what PC do you have I may have an old no longer used copy of cubasis that you could use if your PC can handle it?

Personally speaking I like the content and effort put into your song structures and melodies and feel you are being held back by equipment.

Anyone want to help the guy with an old sound card or could we put a paypal collection together to get him a USB audio interface? I'd happily put in $10 it being the season of giving. Thoughts? :idea:

Stueym
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

Maybe I said this already, but, what's wrong with all y'alls sense of humor? Too much ass in our song? Honestly. It's supposed to be funny! How can you take a song that starts out with a carousel sounding sample like that seriously? Do the lyrics need to be even more obviously stupid? Have we not pushed it far enough? Anyway, I guess I'm being touchy or whatever. Or, maybe you all have TERRIBLE TASTE.

PS. The Liz Enthusiasm comment made me chuckle, but only on the inside because I knew how it would make moboid feel. Also, no pitch correction, like she said, but I did use "blurrr".
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Future Boy wrote:Maybe I said this already, but, what's wrong with all y'alls sense of humor? Too much ass in our song? Honestly. It's supposed to be funny! How can you take a song that starts out with a carousel sounding sample like that seriously? Do the lyrics need to be even more obviously stupid? Have we not pushed it far enough? Anyway, I guess I'm being touchy or whatever. Or, maybe you all have TERRIBLE TASTE.

PS. The Liz Enthusiasm comment made me chuckle, but only on the inside because I knew how it would make moboid feel. Also, no pitch correction, like she said, but I did use "blurrr".
I was just offended, OFFENDED, by the Postal Service chord progression. ;)

Tonight, the district truly does sleep alone.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy