Wrath of Shelley prefight

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I'm in for "Block City" this week. Been too lazy, must make amends.

Speaking of lazy, I think I'm gonna reuse the bridge from "Start Over," since it seems to go much better with this song and the rest of that song wasn't so hot anyway. But now that I've got it mostly written nice and early, I should be able to make a nice recording that should make up for the bridge-recycling.

Assuming, you know, you care.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'm writing a heavy metal 'block city'

I've been in a punk metal kind of mood since the title 'wrath of god' came out. I had some ideas for that but didn't get to lay them down. Last night I came up with some positively killer chunk. If time allows and work doesn't call me all weekend (like last weekend) then I'll rawk all ya'lls sawks awf.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

We're definitely in for Les Anchois. I still have a sneaking suspicion I'm writing a song I've heard before, but it's fun so I'm going with it! Lots is recorded, but the bridge is very much up in the air.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Ok I have no ideas for les anchois. :e.

i have one for block city but i won't do it.
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

Next stop Block City for the Likely Lads...
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Im not in this week

no time at all

not even enough to record just a guitar and vocal

Man I hate this Christmas thing
its gets in the way of so much
but then i guess its cool too
I mean i get things an stuff
so i suppose it balances out

any way not enough time to even write this
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

So I was thinking about maybe writing a song for Les Anchois, and so I spent some time randomly web-browsing various French recipes, looking for inspiration. And possibly dinner. But anyways, I don't really speak all that much French, so my attention was quickly drawn to all the pretty pictures. And man, those French web designers sure have mastered the art of food-related animated gifs! I mean, just check out Mister Saute-ing Lobster! And nothing says "happiness" quite like the Dancing Capsicum Twins! They are just how I imagine the French version of Menudo (with peppers instead of people) would be. I hope these joyful images can make you all smile and sing happy songs about city blocks, or possibly anchois, as much as they have done for me.

Image Image
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

That lobster image is very disturbing. Is he sauteeing a friend or a relative? Or is he cheerfully preparing his own grave? Or perhaps his own gravy. I don't know whether to fear him or pity him
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Johnny in the Corner are in for 'Les Anchois' with a nice lateral-thunk love song. Yay!

J$
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

well... i sent my entry in early... i'm a little scared my connection was screwed up for the last few days... not sure if it may go back out again (think it's just the modem box itself...)...

but i sent it in... it's all done on the dynamic mic fried gave me \m/... and i shall be in Block City...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I haven't decided yet whether or not recording my version of "Block City" in 20 minutes and refusing to do any second takes was a good or bad idea. I guess we'll see! Hope you like your song stylings extra sloppy, because that's how this cafeteria serves them.

Love,
Luke
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:A friend of mine calls them "salty eyebrows".
Nice line - consider it stolen.

I'm in for Les Anchois

--------------------
edit:

final mix of my MP3 looks like I'm again stuck with the Caravan Ray trademark wall-of-hiss sound. Apologies for this - I hope you'll give the song a listen anyway.

I'm placing an order today for a new mic and a pre-amp - I promise everybody a hiss-free 2005.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Bjam wrote:Ooh, just did food unit in French, so if I actually focus I might be bale to do a French song for les anchois. Does it get me bonus points if I sing en francais?
Bjam - you study French? I'd appreciate it if you could check my lyrics for me (and my pronounciations when the songs are posted). It's been a very long time since I did French - I fear that my grammar will be so bad the lyrics will make no sense at all. Lyrics are in the lyric thread - it's supposed to be a simple song about a sailor who murders a prostitute and pickles her body in a barrel like an anchovy then hides the barrel in a church - same old story.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Caravan Ray wrote: a simple song about a sailor who murders a prostitute and pickles her body in a barrel like an anchovy then hides the barrel in a church.
A cheery little ditty then.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Bjam wrote:Ooh, just did food unit in French, so if I actually focus I might be bale to do a French song for les anchois. Does it get me bonus points if I sing en francais?
Bjam - you study French? I'd appreciate it if you could check my lyrics for me (and my pronounciations when the songs are posted). It's been a very long time since I did French - I fear that my grammar will be so bad the lyrics will make no sense at all. Lyrics are in the lyric thread - it's supposed to be a simple song about a sailor who murders a prostitute and pickles her body in a barrel like an anchovy then hides the barrel in a church - same old story.
Oh that sounds like a... normal story. I'll take a look, I'm not the best, but I caan pick up glaringly obvious mistakes.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Hmm... I have lyrics and chords, but I only have WIndows Media Recorder, my guitar, and a crappy mic. Shall I take a plunge and record it anyway?
Songfighter since back in the day.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Caravan Ray wrote:That lobster image is very disturbing. Is he sauteeing a friend or a relative? Or is he cheerfully preparing his own grave? Or perhaps his own gravy. I don't know whether to fear him or pity him
well, being that he is red, he's obviously a zombie lobster preparing brains. Jury still out on whether it's a friend's or not.

That and I've turned in a BLOCK CITY entry.

Look for Leablit. Leaf + Hoblit = Leablit

(Leaf pounded some skins for it and boy he rawks hard)
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

With around 8 hours until the deadline I can't see my 'Block City' being finished in time. Though I'll be there in spirt.
On another note: I'm hoping Deep Throat has a great holiday and comes back refreshed...
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Hoblit wrote:well, being that he is red, he's obviously a zombie lobster preparing brains.
Magnet made of iron, lobster made of meat, when lobster hungry he eats some brains! Also, I composified a little ditty about anchovies that was (partially) inspired by our friend Emeril Lobstergasse up there. It follows in my trend of writing somewhat disturbing songs about children's entertainment and it will leave you all crying for less.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Ma chanson cette semaine est une chanson tres courte. Vous me remercierez plus tard.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

shouldn't this be the Anchovy City prefight thread?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

yeah, it should be. for some reason all the expired prefight threads have been titled with the songs that were being voted on that week, not those that were being written. for example, the "piece of my hot red skates" thread is actually the cheer up slash wrath prefight. but, c'est la vie. i mean, whatever.