Run Faster dear Stepdaughter prefight

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Puce wrote:
joshw wrote:Pedantic Specificity
Did the intricate technicalities of midnight ever bug anyone other than myself when they were growing up? The fact that the new day starts an hour before the clock rolls over always triggered my innate disdain for asymmetry and made me fail a very simple math test.
Not growing up, but I spent a few years programming stock charts (including international intraday), and the worst part of the job was trying to keep track of all the time zones, staggered daylight savings changes, leap years, and other freakishness from the internationals.

Oh, and I'm breaking my hiatus for TPbSd.
stephen_b
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, keys, singering
Submitting as: Stephen_Bellinski

i'm new...

Post by stephen_b »

but i already sent one in for the pawnbrokers stepdaughter.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Re: i'm new...

Post by Adam! »

stephen_b wrote:but i already sent one in for the pawnbrokers stepdaughter.
<strikethrough>Umm?</strikethrough>
Welcome to SongFight!

<i>EDIT: nm. I suck at the internet. The 'Welcome to SongFight!' still stands, though.</i>
Last edited by Adam! on Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Read the subject. Some people come from forums where people are like savages and put a subject on everything and then have the comment body be a continuation of the sentence started in the topic.

Really I wish phpBB didn't have a per-comment subject field.
stephen_b
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, keys, singering
Submitting as: Stephen_Bellinski

whoops

Post by stephen_b »

i guess i suck
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

joshw wrote:
Puce wrote:
joshw wrote:Pedantic Specificity
Did the intricate technicalities of midnight ever bug anyone other than myself when they were growing up? The fact that the new day starts an hour before the clock rolls over always triggered my innate disdain for asymmetry and made me fail a very simple math test.
Not growing up, but I spent a few years programming stock charts (including international intraday), and the worst part of the job was trying to keep track of all the time zones, staggered daylight savings changes, leap years, and other freakishness from the internationals.
Doesn't libc (and all of the fun date handling functions in PHP/Perl/etc.) handle all that for you if you just use UTC-based UNIX-epoch times internally?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

joshw wrote:Did you mean "12/31/04 Midnight" or "1/1/05 Midnight"? Midnight is the start of a day, so midnight 12/31/04 would be the moment that new years eve begins.
What does the IRS mean when they state "Tax forms must be postmarked by midnight on April 15"?
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Spud wrote:
joshw wrote:Did you mean "12/31/04 Midnight" or "1/1/05 Midnight"? Midnight is the start of a day, so midnight 12/31/04 would be the moment that new years eve begins.
What does the IRS mean when they state "Tax forms must be postmarked by midnight on April 15"?
I would guess...on April 15th, before midnight...which would then be April 16th. Which would be late.

I don't know, this is an American Government agency, so clarity isn't exactly in their domain.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Beowulf Kingsley
A New Player

Post by Beowulf Kingsley »

Gahh...the relative nature of time has confused me since I was a kid. Even now I think it's wierd that I can talk to people in eastern Europe where it's actually tomorrow, or call someone out west where it's closer to yesterday. By the way, I'm also new and posted up a song...it's a mess but oh well...
"I don't belive anything, but I have many suspicions" - Robert Anton Wilson
Sheail
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, keys
Submitting as: Idle Susan, Sheail, Mother Funker

Post by Sheail »

I particularly like the way you can travel west around the world and suspend yourself in time until you suddenly end up a whole day in the future. Great stuff.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

That is ofcourse if you are possible travelling on the Concorde. Eventually even the fastest passenger plane is going to get caught up in New Years. This considered I am heavily considering pulling a move on Run Faster if I can get all the computer gack out of the way in which I am beefing up the DAW for next year's barrage on all your asses. I'm coming and the Lord's lightening is coming with me if I could only run fast enough. Gonna see if TheHipCola wants in.
BIOT
A New Player

Post by BIOT »

Don't really care about the intricacies of time and space, but I am glad to see JW is back! I hope he is finished with his "experimental" and "expand his range" stuff and is back to his base.

Two months into my guitar lessons, seems learning really was easier when I was younger, but at least I now understand the whole I IV V concept.

I’m looking forward to your return Josh.
"In me the caresser of life wherever moving, backward as well as forward sluing, To niches aside and junior bending, not a person or object missing, Absorbing all to myself and for this song." W. Whitman
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I have no song this week - but I have just come back from the music shop with a new microphone and USB pre-amp. Hooray!! Hopefully this will improve my recording quality a bit.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

BIOT wrote:Don't really care about the intricacies of time and space, but I am glad to see JW is back! I hope he is finished with his "experimental" and "expand his range" stuff and is back to his base.
Personally, I think his base is fairly boring, and I hope that he at least integrates his experimentation into it. I mean, you know, that's kind of the whole point to experimenting.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Hello post #100! Alas, too much slack on my part, wholly inexcusable with the extended deadline, has me snatching my hat from the ring this fight. You'll have to wait for the next fight to kick my ass, Josh.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Fun Raster

Post by Kapitano »

Submitted for 'Run Faster'. It's a simple song about having to choose between the two Significant Others in your life. Semi-autobiographical.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

This one is much closer to home for me, but hopefully interesting enough to keep the indiesnobs awake. :D
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:You'll have to wait for the next fight to kick my ass, Josh.
If it's any consolation you can kick my ass this week. For the first time ever in a SongFight I have the vocals recorded earlier than 12 hours before the deadline. Actually, that's only because the deadline was changed from 9:59 am to 11:59 pm, so I guess I should stop congratulating myself.
over
A New Player

Post by over »

Ho-Hum,

I recorded a little something on xmas day (late) with just my voice and a mic. It had to be quiet because a baby was sleeping next door.
I thought that since my voice needs improving (acording to the esteemed reviewers-god bless you all), surely it will improve a lot faster if I use it for the drums and bass and melody and harmonies as well as the words.
I used the words 'run' for the bass line and 'faster' in the drums. Clever eh, songfight?
Anywho, expect some more songs from the band (the 'over) as opposed to my badly arranged little excursions into the realms of solo-dittysville in the new year.
Have fun one and all, and remember "you are a better person when you drink tequilla".

david xxx

p.s. Can we have the word "Badger" in a title soon?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Okay, since everyone else is giving away their clever gimmicks before people have a chance to judge them on their own merit, I'd might as well too.

I wrote and recorded my "run faster" the night the titles were posted (in a rare flash of inspiration), and mixed/mastered over the next few days, and submitted it really early (Thursday or so, IIRC). Then while I was en route to Albuquerque I got bored and fired up <a href="http://apple.com/garageband/">GarageBand</a>, and did three remixes of it based on my location and situation (I will not submit the remixes, of course, but I'll link to them from the review thread and I've already posted them and the original to my weblog for all the fence-pokers out there).
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I have an awesome guest appearance in mine. I almost rewrote it all after Sunday's tsunami, but thought better to stay away from something I still can't understand enough to comment on. So it'll be the usual roymond fare. There are actually two awesome guests...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I too am in for the massive melee that will be Run Faster. I also have a special guest playing the part of my guilty conscience.

It's cowboy pop, already!

j$