Review Faster (Run Faster Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I can think of two, though they were not catalogued (IIRC) - when Aaron's Bowel Problem failed to get JB's in on time for the original coverfight (someone did it on his Firecrackers), and then later I did it for <a href="http://trikuare.cx/files/cf/jvas-drworm ... rs.mp3">Dr. Worm's "firecrackers"</a> for some reason.
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

Humbert wrote:historyman - i'm a sucker for out of tune pianos so i'm immediately hooked on this. then the combination of carnival music and they might be giants delivers the goods. completely tramples any established production conventions. great stuff.
wow. Thanks!
I have been trying to avoid the TMBG comparisons, just because I don't want to get boxed in, but I appreciate the postitive comparison.
I'd also be interested to know what the "established production conventions" it tramples, if you have any specifics.
and I don't think my pianos are too out of tune, though they do get more out of tune the lower you get, and I was playing fairly low.
But thanks again for a great review. I look forward to hearing yours and listening reviewing the whole batch!
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

1400 words: Damn! Written as I listen. The mark indicates how much I liked it.

Abecedarian: I prefer backing vocals to be tighter with the lead vocal. Don’t like the explicit lyrics (and by that I don’t mean the profanity, but the fact that they sound strictly literal). Guitar is nice, but I’d like to hear a little more 200 hz to offset the fact that this has no bass. Hookless. C+

Dre: The antonym of catchy. ^Inventive use of the microtonal scale for the lead vocal^. Sounds like a song off of Beck’s StereoPathetic SoulManure. Did you do an ADD this week? Was this from it? F

Boltoph: Production! I thought the reverse THX at the beginning was going to make my head explode. To bad the vocals are EQ’d in such a way that I’ll never be able to understand them. Pretty good double tracking. That beat is incessant. Funky; Too bad the song never changes throughout. It needs a hook of some type. B

Carol Cleveland: Sweet! It’s time I go back and listen to more CCS, because I’ve recently discovered the Spinto Band’s cover of your Brown Boxes. I love the whole 210 BPM feel. The vocals are fucking boss, like, absolutely perfect. This fits my attention span nicely. A

Children of God: It was great working with Jute Gyte on this. This is one of my Kitchen-Sink mixes. I originally referenced some other songs to set the vocal level, but I think as someone said the vocals are probably about 2db too loud, especially during the bridge. But I love Jute’s voice, so I wanted it loud. I managed to get a whole bunch of sound design out of my system by doing this track; I think I used 40 instances of distortion / overdrive plugins (I’m not even joking. It’s certainly above 25). In true Jute Gyte style I refrained from adding a bassline to this song. Lastly I really like how the song rips itself apart at the end

Clayne: I almost like this song. The programming is inventive. I was kind of hoping for rapped verses. The chorus doesn’t grab me at all, although I like the Cake-esque heavy portamento sliding synth that plays during the chorus. That synth brass patch makes me leap for the skip button. The vocals sound good but unambitious. I like the ring-modded FM synth that shows up around 1:14. Long. B-

The Over: Wish the beatboxing had a beat. I usually like music like this in the Bjork’s Medulla style of very upfront mixing. I don’t see what this has to do with the title. Pretty much the worst attempt at this style I’ve heard; don’t take that the wrong way, because I’ve only heard this style attempted 3 times before. F

DeeDeeDog: Like this review, this song has little substance. F

Deshead: Really, really great guitar. Too bad it’s so low in the mix, compared to the organ or the bass. The chocolate I’m eating right now tastes like raisins and butter, which is disconcerting. The mixing (mastering?) in this song is very obvious, in that it sounds very flat throughout. That organ just kind of sits on top of the whole song. So does that bass. The vocals are much brighter than the rest of the song, which makes them sound pasted on top, too. I don’t like how breathy they sound. What the hell is happening to the vocals from 1:50 – 1:53? It sounds like you put them in a pitchshift blender, or maybe somebody punched you in the gut while you were singing. The ending just kind of hangs. Despite all these harsh sounding criticisms, this song is awesome and totally catchy. A-

Edge of LA: The fake drum sound turns me away (I don’t know if they are, but what bugs me is that they sound fake). Nice messy little solo during the bridge. This song strikes me as being very average, and I can’t get into it. It’s almost very hooky. B

Fluffy: I think this is the second Fluffy Porcupine song I’ve ever heard in a fight (I’ve heard some others here and there).

SongFight Mix: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound of that bassline. The drum clipping (especially the pixilated hi-hats) reminds me of a few Radiohead songs I don’t really like. Muddled in a good way. B-

Newark Mix: That’s a really nice sounding reverb on the vocals. This mix showcases the lyrics, and I realize I don’t like them. The sampled stringed instrument that comes in at 1:50 is great. The kick drum in the last 1/3rd of the song adds a great rhythm. B

I Will Eat Your Baby Mix: I’m liking the guitar and bass, but the vocals just don’t fit this rhythm. This song is a real mudfest. 1:37 rocks my freakin’ world, and 1:57 too. Damn, this is the sound I was going for in the interlude in my other song this week, but you do it so much better. B+

Boring Guitar Mix:
Vocals sound pitchy in this mix for some reason. You, sir, are a style ninja. The reverb is overbearing. Boring. C+

History Man: Cracked out. Impossible to get into. Interesting production, with lots of good parts. Sounds like it belongs in an insane musical, like most History Man songs. The lyrical delivery makes them sound improvised. Good vocal doubling (or, more accurately, quadrupling) at the end. B-

Honest Abe: The… Low… Rider… Very groovy. The chorus has a really catchy feel to it. I don’t like the tone of that bass; I’d like it more with a 6 db boost at 3khz, and a 3 db boost at 70hz. Wow, that bass is way too loud, completely drowning out the guitar during the chorus. Really good vocals. The drums are nice, but there is no kick drum in sight; This song would groove so much more with a big fat kick. A-

Jack Shite: Getting’ all country, Jack? I like the tone of this one. Sounds a little too Cotton-eye Joe for me. Wouldn’t mind a sliding, insanely catchy bassline underneath the mix, but that’s a pretty high request, so I’d settle for a much louder kick drum instead. Vocals are tough to hear. I’d really like it if the fiddle samples where a little lower and the guitar was a lot louder, just so the song doesn’t sound so sample dependant. B

Jim Varney All Stars: Hahaha. Not as good as Is It Cold, which is surprisingly catchy. A very private joke. F, obviously

J$: I can’t stand the reverb on the vocals, because it make everything sound really detached and far away. Seriously needs some percussion. This is a tough song to get into. Timing issues during the chorus. C

Kapitano: What synth do you use? I don’t feel the over-modulated lead synth in the intro fits with the simple sounding Moog bass. Brutally ambient. Very dull. Needs a hook, or at least some 80’s cheesiness added in. C

Location Cubed: I think I’m in the wrong mood to hear this song. It’s expertly done (especially the two guitars), and all the voices sound good, but at the end of a 25 song fight I can’t get into a 5 minute song. The verses and the chorus are structurally difficult to differentiate, making the song sound very homogenous. The keys during the ending sound really good. B

Robot Lonbobby scores American Beauty 2: God that piano is pretty. I really like the first minute; after that the vocal melody gets a little challenging. The beat and the bass sound good, but I wish they had a little more variety. Nice ambiences. B

Poor June: Some intonation problems. Nice backing vocals. Playing is sloppy in places. Oh man the vocals and backwards piano and everything sounds great at the end. B-

Roymond: Vocals and lyrics are hard to get into. Catchy chorus, but the mix is pretty rough sounding. Nice rap from Abominominous. I feel this mix needs some bass or a louder kick or thicker sounding guitar. Outro is really long. B-

Wreckdom: The only things I like are the 3-D bass and the Theremin. Perfect time to set your New Years resolutions to music. I like the line “and I’m gonna stop eating dairy.” F

<center>Carol Cleveland Wins!</center>
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

hey puce,

how come fluffy gets four reviews and i get none? :-)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

you know humbert, i wonder if you were late getting posted on the list as i downloaded everyone right after it went up and forgot you too (but i did post something earlier to this effect).

anyways humbert=good tune!
Last edited by jack on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Long Songfight, with a couple of standouts, and the usual selection of weak vocals and bottom-heavy mixes (myself included... I should know better than to mix on computer speakers.) Anything constructive I could add has been said already, so instead I'll review the Beatles song or controlled substance that your song most reminds me of.

fluffy porcupine
Good Morning: Featuring some of Ringo's most under-appreciated drumming, the rhythm parts in Good Morning drive the song relentlessly forward, adding urgency to Lennon's lyrics.

Boltoph
Within You Without You: While Harrison's tribute to Eastern philosophy doesn't vary much in structure throughout, it still captures listeners' attention with its solid structure, and engaging instrumentation.

David 'Over
Wild Honey Pie: Hardly a song by conventional standards, track 5 on the White Album reminds us that The Beatles loved to experiment in the studio.

Humbert
I Am The Walrus: McCartney later mastered the style, but Lennon introduced us to song construction by stitching a group of unrelated sections into a seamless whole.

Johnny Cashpoint
I Should Have Known Better: Lennon's Liverpudlian delivery lends this track a raw honesty that belies the simplicity of his lyrics.

C. Layne
Why Don't We Do It in the Road? This is McCartney at his cheekiest, but the song works because it defies you to sit still. If he'd written it 30 years later, Volkswagen would have built a successful ad campaign around it.

Edge of LA
I'll Cry Instead: Lennon never shied away from using an obvious rhyme, or even a cliché, because he knew the overriding value of a good hook. I'll Cry Instead is perhaps the definitive example of this.

WreckdoM
The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs ...

Poor June
The Long and Winding Road: McCartney used the piano throughout his career with the Beatles. He waited until the band's swan song, however, to fully integrate the instrument in his musical creations, and with remarkable results.

Andre Was Here at Midnight
I'm So Tired: Lennon was a master of evoking moods with his music to enhance his lyrics. I'm So Tired is the canonical example of his talent in this area: the song actually makes listeners sleepy (which is a compliment in this case!)

Jack Shite
Don't Pass Me By: It's a testament to their musical instincts (and those of George Martin,) that even doing country music, The Beatles still sounded like The Beatles.

Location Location Location
I Want You (She's So Heavy): While it has several compelling elements, the closing track on side A of Abbey Road is mostly about the guitar riff. Even going for noise, the Beatles' innate sense of melody and hook creates a soundscape that draws and lulls us into submission.

Historyman
I'm a Loser: John Lennon invented "irreverent honesty" in song writing, with his "heart on sleeve and tongue in cheek" approach to lyrics.

Honest Abe and the Emancipators
Come Together: Arguably the most instantly-recognizable bass riff in popular music, which is enough by itself to qualify the song as a classic.

Abecedarian
I'll Follow The Sun: While many artists have composed beautiful songs with guitars and vocal harmonies, The Beatles were alone in their skill at choosing perfect complementing melodies, and weaving them together as if the flawless unified whole had always simply existed.

Children of God
Helter Skelter: Everything required in a good rock song: distorted guitars, pumping bass, pounding drums, and McCartney screaming.

Dee Dee Dog
Blue Jay Way: George Harrison's drifting lament about friends lost in the fog enchants and entrances listeners, but still succeeds in telling a story.

Lonbobby Experiments with Autotune
Tomorrow Never Knows: Whether by design or not, John Lennon & George Martin captured an acid trip on vinyl with Tomorrow Never Knows. Even if some of the sound effects are bizarre or alien, the listener is carried forward by the song's demanding rhythm.

Deshead
Please Please Me: This song wasn't about what people thought it was about.

Carol Cleveland Sings
Polythene Pam: The frantic pace of Lennon's playful song about "a mythical Liverpool scrubber" demands foot-tapping and repeated listens.

Jim Varney All Stars
Twist and Shout: The Beatles didn't write it. They just sped the original up a bit.

Roymond feat. Abom
Penny Lane: Arguably the best of The Beatles 'place' songs, Penny Lane succeeds in showing listeners a scene, rather than just telling us about it.

CCS doesn't need my vote to win, so I'm voting instead in the "most improved 'cause I can now hear him clearly thanks to new microphones" fight.
Last edited by deshead on Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

jack shite wrote:you know humbert, i wonder if you were late getting posted on the list as i downloaded everyone right after it went up and forgot you too (but i did post something earlier to this effect).

anyways humbert=good tune!
yeah, for some reason it didn't go up right away and i had to bug fightmaster about it. so no worries if someone missed it - but still i'd like a review. gimme, puce and lonbobby!
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Humbert wrote:i'd like a review. gimme, puce
Alright, yeash, settle down :)

I owe you a review after all the nice things you said about my song this week. FYI, your song is not in the stream for this fight.

Humbert: Instantly turned off by the bassline, although it is an inventive synth sound. Good use of the stereo field. Vocals sound too loud to me. Is that a ringmod on the guitar parts (samples?)? "Neo" reference costs you a point. The singing is really good around 1:20; in fact you have a very powerful (and well recorded) voice throughout the song. There are some great sounds around 3:00. The dirge-y organ does nothing to hold my attention. For all it's good production and nice keys and haphazard beats, this song ultimately doesn't have a very catchy melody. B+
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

i'm dreadfully sorry about the lack of reviews. my internet's been shitting out on me all week, and i've only been able to get through a few songs at a time. here's some i saved from earlier. i didn't want to post so few, but i'm afraid i may have to do it in short little sections like this in order to get every song.

ok, let's try this again.

carol cleveland sings
well, honestly, i didn't expect anything different. this is absolutely insane, and i couldn't mistake it for anyone else. good shit.

children of god
it's noisy. oooh, screaming. i don't hear much stuff like this around here. and i think we could always use more of this sort around here, always adds some nice spicyness to the mix. i don't really have much to criticize here, the mix is very solid, and even some very well done panning. high five.

me
nothing to say about mine. i just wanted an excuse to use some ghetto synths. west side.

david over
there's this flash animation of these horses standing with their front legs propped over a fence, you click on them one at a time and it comes in sounding very much like this. so i had me a little giggle.

i promise i WILL get everyone by the end of the week
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

OK, here's what I have left for review,

**AND - someone really has to tell me what all these style buttons are about and how they're used.

boltoph
I like that this song has a story to tell, tho the vocals carry more tonality than definition. love that chorused out guitar tone. think the vocs could be a touch brighter, and have larry help out with some percussion. Love the way it ends!!!! I can picture myself haulin' ass through highway traffic to this song.

c. layne

that raspy synth should be a smidge lower in the beginning. I like the beat (this is my 2nd listen) one sample sounded a bit out before, but I don't hear it now. I like the initial vocal melody, the "you got to run faster" x 500 that ended at 1:57 was a bit much for me. 3:15 - dig that thing. I can picture eating sushi to this in a soopa pricey joint with water flowing down the walls.

Dee Dee Dog

the poop my pants line made me laugh. I could see myself passing through an empty comp sci house in college mid afternoon with the sun shining into the lounge and some kid coding and staring at lines of green monochrome vietnamese while simultaneously taking a sip of a Mountain Dew big slam.

Deshead
I really like the sound of your voice. It's fun to try and figure out what this is about. If it was poop, I'd crack up. Anyway... guitars are mad tite, like the bounce and happiness of the strummin. Drums sounded omnipresent and not in the way. Catchy. I can picture building some sort of structure to burn in the middle of a field in Iowa. Oh yes, kegs'a plenty, and an '84 camaro in primer. But the field is set with lights and the hay seems a bit too perfectly misplaced. And why'd that camera guy steal my cup? Polar icecaps is my guess. Damn that's fun.

Humbert
INXS - 1st thing I thought of. Hmm? OK, I'll stop eating chips so I can listen. I like how the other tones work of the 1st tones at :31 - would like the orig tones to be lower (does that make sense?). Vocals are awesome in this song. And sound balance. Percussion is cool. You put alot of work into this. I'm kinda losing interest at 1:50, but that's because I'm listening to it as a song, not as a background. I think for it to work as background for me it would have to be pretty happy tho, this is kinda a bit goth to me. Love all the tones in it, and how polished it sounds. I could see me hanging in a goth bar blueshirted and khaki'd, wondering why that chick needs to wear a corset and feels cool looking bummed out. I'd be drinking something that's hard to spill and is quick to down. The work on this is awesome, the vibe is counter to my idle speed.

jack shite
i need to test out that fiddle thing doing that. boing boing boings!!!!! I'd like to hear the vocs a touch louder. This is fun. That's a crafty fiddle line. As far as the song goes, I guess I'd would have liked the vocals louder so I could have followed the story, the fiddles were cool, but I bet the story was cooler. I could see me in the barn, on the same property of that chit I built by the firebird to ignite on fire. This is later in the eve, when the kegs are light, and the ice is water.

poor june
dig the light strings. think i'd to hear the vocs louder. this is totally not my cup of tea. I don't really want to stay interested because it's not something I could get into. I picture I'm sitting down, watching pbs loudly, and hear my neighbor through the wall for at odd hours for a whole week making this song for songfght.
BUTTZ?
Humbert
A New Player

Post by Humbert »

Puce wrote:Is that a ringmod on the guitar parts (samples?)?
this not a sample, but me flexing my tiny guitar chops on my strat. the ringmod sounds are actually some mouse wiggles on cubase's tranceformer plugin, with a mangled rhodes sort of following the guitar line.
johnsonic wrote:INXS - 1st thing I thought of.
I know what you mean! When I listened back to the part where the high vocal part with delay on it goes to the handclap snare, I immediately thought, damn, this sounds like a song off "kick".
historyman68 wrote:I'd also be interested to know what the "established production conventions" it tramples, if you have any specifics.
i really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole (damn, i just did it again). i just meant that the song doesn't have a typical verse/chorus/bridge structure and it doesn't follow a predictable dynamics pattern (subdued intro, thighslapping chorus, heavy bridge part). so many songs fall into that pattern, even non-mainstream stuff, that it's refreshing to hear something that's totally unpredictable.
jack shite wrote:not much more to say but stellar production.
thanks jack! i appreciate the compliment.
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

Humbert wrote: i really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole (damn, i just did it again). i just meant that the song doesn't have a typical verse/chorus/bridge structure and it doesn't follow a predictable dynamics pattern (subdued intro, thighslapping chorus, heavy bridge part). so many songs fall into that pattern, even non-mainstream stuff, that it's refreshing to hear something that's totally unpredictable.
Flowry Hyperbole sounds better in reviews, anyway, and makes me feel better. Thanks again!
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

abecedarian: the vocals are too upfront and the music is real backgroundish... i really wished the music was more upfront...
and i like some of the overdubbed vox... but some parts seem like they'd be better without it... i like the 'i can run faster then you' part... the lyrics are really hard to pay attention to with a lot of the doubling... this has a lot of possibilities... not my fave of your songs though...

andre was here at midnight: the guitar is a bit out of tune... it's so close to bein' in tune... but off enough to make it obvious... your vocals are a lot better then i've heard in a lot of previous songs... but some of the notes don't seem like you hit them all the way... and mess 'em up... you have a really good voice... just seems like it's wonderin' for a note... i think if you were more in tune... and in timing... your songs would be really good...

boltoph: i like this... but i think the drums could go down a lil' bit further in the mix... cause it takes my mind off a lot of the other stuff goin' on...
i like the song... it's gettin' a tops from me... just the drums are kind of distracting good beat... just distracting...

carolcleveland: haha.... these songs always make me smile... i'm not a huge fan... but it's deffinately entertaining stuff... and not like anything else out there... and that i think is why i can't help but like your stuff... on such an original level... cool stuff

children of God: :-D this made me smile... i didn't expect it for some odd reason... but i'm glad it came... i think at some point you could've went off in a really cool solo... that would've been nice... i always love awesome solos with my screaming...
you have a nice scream... use work here and there... but good stuff... and i think you are probably more audible then most screamers i've heard... on a personal level i love this song... probably not enough for a vote... but i'm glad you made it... very good stuff....

clayne: i'm so glad you're back... even for a short time... you have such an awesome voice... deffinately not somethin' i'm used to hearin' from you... but it's cool to experiment... i love that weird high sound that wonders over i guess the chorus or bridge... not sure how to explain it... really cool... reminds me a softer style klay scott.... when i imagine electronica done right... this is what i think of... so far this is at the top of my list... we'll see...
i love your vocal melodies... you're really good at that...

david: the main vocal thing that's talkin'... or what not... should be centered or somethin'... cause it's extremely hard to understand... it's cool that all the other sounds you made are panned.. but to have the words panned 2... makes 'em blend in more with the random beatbox sounds... not a fave or nothin'... but respectable... pretty cool... be cool to hear what you come up with in the next few fights...

dddog: wow... from the drum thing intro... i didn't expect that hahaha... hahahaha... hahahahahaha... i just pooped my pants... hahahahahahaha.... you probably realize the song isn't good... but i'll be damned i couldn't help but laugh a lot hahaha.... thank you for the humor

deshead: i love your production... man if i lived closer to you... i'd be begging for some tips... not even just tips... but to see how you do it... amazing stuff... sounds like you put so much work into it... i love how you did the vocals... you're really fast becoming one of my faves... this'll probably get my vote... wooo... i hope you stay at songfight for a long time...

edgar delas angeles: this is cool... it's done pretty well... but i'm not really feeling it... not my thing... kinda just one of those songs... that are there... but don't really hit on a personal level... can't really feel it... and check your guitar tones... don't know if it's a recording thing... or if the amp settings need to be changed a bit... (specifically responding to the single hit riffs)

fluffy: i haven't heard the other versions... the beginning has a couple off beat spots... i'm not sure about some of the tones... kinda has a morrisey smiths feel to it... i like that... just needs a little adjusting... a little work... and this would be amazing... as it is... it's a great concept... (i'll have to listen to the other mixes later, guessin' that they have to be pretty good)...\m/ awesome entry... (wished the end didn't stop so suddenly)

historyman: wished the vocals were clearer and turned up just a lil' bit... that snare thing is way too panned... panning can be cool... but sometimes it can just be out of place.. and i usually don't like much panning on drums... unless it has drums goin' on in the other side 2...
i like the fact that you don't go by the normal standards of writing a song... just wished it came across better... cause it is a really cool idea... (like how it gets around 2:15 or so... everything got real clear for a bit) then it went back down again... deffinately has the plus of having no clue where you're goin'... work man work... make others believe in your vision...

honest abe: uhm... i like it.... pretty cool to make the bass the lead instrument... i like how it's mixed... but the lower vox are really hard to understand... i don't wanna say turn it up... but i do... it's sort of like if it gets turned up... it'll make the mix sound more out of place... but maybe sing it clearer?
can't think of much else sayin'... not half bad...

jack shite: i see you got some of hobs fiddler... the music is cool as shit... and i dig it a lot... wished the vocals were as sharp as the music... as it is... the vox sound like they're in mono and the music is in stereo... kinda makes it hard to understand the vocals...
really cool music though... i wanna play the fiddle... someday!!...
(even though i know it's sampled haha it's just a random thought)

jim varney all stars: you need a breath screen... i learned that singing through a paper towel will help that a lot... interesting...

johnnycashpoint: the guitar thing... is kind of bland... and somethin' that sounds like somethin' i've heard a lot...
and that one part 'i've been scared since the day i was born'... sounds exactly musically like sound of silence by simon and garfunkel... not really feeling the song as a whole... but it has some cool elements... (the symbol hits are a little too upfront as well...)...

kapitano: i like the sounds you're using... i can't understand what you're saying though... i really can't of nothin' to say... it's electronica... it's well put together... vocals need some adjusting... need to be a lil' more clear... cause they kind of just mix with the music...

Location, Location, Location: pretty guitar stuff... the vocals are really cool 2... i like this song a lot... it's really amazingly put together... beautiful stuff... i still have to go with des... but this takes second...

lonbobby experiments: it's a cool experiment... i like it... sometimes it's a lil' too much... but for the most part... it has some really cool elements...
i'm running out of things to say... but i think the music is really cool... i think this was well done... just some minor vocal things... where you could tell the take wasn't quite perfect before the autotune was used...
but in my tops...

me: made the song... uhm... i like the idea... think it could've been done better... and it seems empty to me... really felt like somethin' was missin'... and i couldn't figure out what it was...
but i still liked the outro alot... (and didn't have enough free time to re-do the vox... my dad was home for the holidays)... and then my brother moved back home... so... too many things to work around

roymond: uhm... sounds almost like a mandolin or somethin'??? O_o... haha pretty cool... i really like the talkin'/rappin' part a lot... pretty cool stuff... (curious about all the foreign sampled voices)... interesting... (and of course i love reverse sounds... ahhh... beauty to my ear)... haha i'm gonna have to check the lyrics to this in a bit...

wreckdom: it's so hard for me to review your songs... i enjoy 'em... cause they're just so odd and out of place... and odd... haha...
but the more i hear the stuff... the more addicting it becomes... 'i'm gonna do the yoga' i like that... this is a bit repetitive... good concept for a new years fight
not a vote... but i enjoyed it... haha...

top 5
5. Fluffy,children of god, boltoph, (and) Roymond
4. Lonbobby experiments
3. C.layne
2. Location, Location, Location
1. deshead

and i just like to give a special thanx for wreckdom and dddog just for the entertainment and humor... if i only i could get myself to vote for that... but i enjoyed the songs none the less...

finally... sorry for all the missed reviews lately...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

[quote="Poor June"]johnnycashpoint: that one part 'i've been scared since the day i was born'... sounds exactly musically like sound of silence by simon and garfunkel... not really feeling the song as a whole....[/quote

No, it doesn't.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

j$ wrote:
Poor June wrote:johnnycashpoint: that one part 'i've been scared since the day i was born'... sounds exactly musically like sound of silence by simon and garfunkel... not really feeling the song as a whole....[/quote

No, it doesn't.
uhm... i sung the sound of silence over that part... i'm pretty sure it does... if i could do a mash-up i'd show you what i was talkin' bout...
it doesn't stay that way... just for that one part...

deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Poor June wrote:
J$ wrote:No, it doesn't.
i'm pretty sure it does... if i could do a mash-up i'd show you what i was talkin' bout...
Not exactly a mashup, but here ya go, PJ. (And FWIW, I think you're both right :-))
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

yay! my cover made it! for those not in the know, the person holding the container of pills is one Victor Conte, the head of Balco Laboratories. If you're unfamiliar with Balco Labs, you must live on an island somewhere....

(go ahead leaf...)
Hi!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I live on an island. I've never heard of this "Labs" thing... so ...you're right!!!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Poor June wrote:roymond: uhm... sounds almost like a mandolin or somethin'??? O_o... haha pretty cool... i really like the talkin'/rappin' part a lot... pretty cool stuff... (curious about all the foreign sampled voices)... interesting... (and of course i love reverse sounds... ahhh... beauty to my ear)... haha i'm gonna have to check the lyrics to this in a bit...
The foreign sampled voices are my wife's. Don't tell her or I'll have to pay her royalties. The full story is on my website. Feel free to study up on the NYC above-ground transit system. Thanks for the appreciative words.

I still can't get Fluffy's out of my head. Not really trying, though :)
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

roymond wrote:
Poor June wrote:roymond: uhm... sounds almost like a mandolin or somethin'??? O_o... haha pretty cool... i really like the talkin'/rappin' part a lot... pretty cool stuff... (curious about all the foreign sampled voices)... interesting... (and of course i love reverse sounds... ahhh... beauty to my ear)... haha i'm gonna have to check the lyrics to this in a bit...
The foreign sampled voices are my wife's. Don't tell her or I'll have to pay her royalties. The full story is on my website. Feel free to study up on the NYC above-ground transit system. Thanks for the appreciative words.

I still can't get Fluffy's out of my head. Not really trying, though :)
will do :-)

i love the morrisey feel to it... all nice...

mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

I really can't get over how incredibly done CCS's song is this week. I like it so much that if it were not for that last slightly off note it would earn a rare 10 in my book.

I love the transitions throughout, but the moment that for me is the most inexplicably delightful is 0:13-0:15. There is something in the way you're singing what your singing that just tickles me in the right spot. I can't really place why either.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

Children of God Oh My F*in GOD!!! This song ROCKS without apology.

Other songs I downloaded which I don't have anything constructive to add to.
Boltoph - Grooooovy. Very Dave Matthews Band
Carol Cleveland Sings - What can I say? Even though it took me a 2nd listen to get into it, I'll always appreciate the creativity. I think Jimmy Hat was my first exposure to CSS and it took me about a week to get into it. It is one of my favorite songs these days.
Jack Shite - Love the Fiddlin'. One of a kind in my playlist for sure.
Johnny Cashpoint - Right on FUN. I love the use of the low vocals.
Deshead - Love the melody. I listen to your Dark All Day on a regular rotation.

I am giving the other songs more listening time so I can try to be constructive in my reviews to come.

As for my song, I wasn't even planning on submitting one. This was supposed to be for a different song, but the driving tempo kept pushing to try something with Run Faster. I didn't even start considering lyrics until 2pm of the deadline.

I JUST started playing with Garage Band in September, so I'm kinda green in the production end of recording. So "insinuations" that I was trying to be slick ("...and turned out greasy") is kind of a compliment to me! Hehe... And I am soooo not a lead guitar player, but I'm trying. I gotta buy the new rhythm jampack for Garage Band so I can get some better drum loops.

Thanks for your compliments, critisisms and opinions. I'll get back with reviews.