Everybody was kung fu fighting (Ninja Gang Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Frontalittle Squad: Some of you need to be more aggressive on the mic. Come on nerds!! This is your chance to let out your rage against all of those people. Act like the mic stole your lunch money (again) and ATTACK THE MIC!! Act like you want to beat their ass in Ninja Gaiden---no tell them you WILL beat their ass in Ninja Gaiden. Slap 'em with your slide rule up up down down left right left right b a b a start!
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

A new game - [Fun] or [Bum]

Caravan Ray - Oh very Cramps-y. Nice! Great lyric. Exceptionally bad production stops this being mind-blowing but it's still damn good. [Fun].

Casio Choir - The Hoosenbergler revolution continues apace? That's clearly not a choir and I am not sure it's a casio either, but I like it. [Fun].

Dark Side of Archeology - Nice punk out. To shorten this to about 2.15 would improve it. Drop the squelchy punk funk bit at the beginning. I love the keyboard / samples bit at the end. Squeeze it up - less whispered vocals. But this is good despite the production. [Fun].

Luke Henley - The first thirty seconds are superfluous. From then again there's some really good stuff. But the keyboard is distractingly ominprescent. I like the 'megaphone' vocal. By 01:38 I am bored of the parody of performance art approach and thus it goes from fun to [bum]

Neil Thrun - Your recording tone is becoming more tolerable, that's for sure. Like a His Name Is: Dan outtake and therefore not fun. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. A [bum] for you.

C Hack - I like this but the tone of the music/vocal delivery doesn't seem to fit the tone of the lyric - it's halfway between 'don't take this seriously' or really acting the part a la Cash at his finest. I think it's the emo vocal style (which is good) but Cash wouldn't drag his syllables like that, would he? therefore I don't believe it (which is really important with a ridiculous 'unbelievable' story like this). However it is so far from [bum] that it must be [fun]. Oh, I had an idea, a slightly cheesy monophonic keyboard solo instead of the 'I would do anything' bit at the end. that would spell it out in capital letters.

Consume, vagina boy - I thought we couldn't have 'rude' words on the front page, Spud? Anyway I like this. great drum tones. Just about holds together, which is a great place for the tune to be. Better had it stopped with abruptly at 2.06. But still [fun]

Wounded Sea Turtle - I should by all rights love this, as it is more early Cabaret Voltaire than Cabaret Voltaire were. However it is an instrumental and therefore [bum].

Boltoph - That drum machine is not in keeping with the rest of the song. At all. Ugh this sounds like one of those white LA bands with loads of tattoos, peroxide hair but a sensitive side. Makes me think of that annoying 'Come, come my lady' song. What were they called - 'Steel Butterfly', 'Mamma, we're all Crazy Town' or something ... No fun for me and therefore [bum]. I do like your voice though.

Pileus - Hmmm, Boltoph part 2. I like the first 5 seconds or so. [bum]

Butterskoskostage - Nice, well-mixed. Your sense of humour isn't coming across very well. As for the evry poor 'rap' see Boltolph / Pileus. [bum]

Sleazy D Collective - This starts out like the 'Taxi' theme in a K-hole. Then synth-cofee-shop-jazz. At least you don't scat. terrible name. Lovely singing voice. But still [bum] for me.

Wreckdom - You have sold out. Again. [fun]

Code Burnt Umber - How can a 1 minute 17 song sound so long? [bum]

Frontalittle Squad - The mix sounds a bit sloppy this time out? The bass on the verses doesn't seem quite on the tempo. I like the chorus - and the 'Kung Fu Fighting' sample. So [fun] I guess.

Eight Legged Oedipus - I don't have the time to review this .... oh, alright then ... I love love love the music but your voice is too good for it. If that makes any sense. it needs to be rougher. maybe I'm just hearing a Tom Waits backing track with a metal/rock singer ... [fun]

Three Hole Punch - I love it. [fun]

Songfight Orchestra - I wonder what this is going to sound like when it's all strung together? I like this for what it is ... needs a kazoo fanfare [fun]

So 10 [fun] to 7 [bum] not a bad batting average I guess... Casio Choir, 3 Hole Punch, Consume, Vagina Boy (which sounds like a bandname generator at work to me, BTW), C Hack and Caravan Ray all upgraded to [Fun Fun] class. But who will get the coveted [Big Fun] award? Well, since 3 Hole Punch has revealed itself to be CCS and therefore will get a whole bag a votes (and should), I'm giving it to Consume, Vagina Boy.

That's a phrase I never thought I'd be typing....
The Butterskoskostage
A New Player

Post by The Butterskoskostage »

Generic wrote:So you don't want to sing?
haha, no uh...thank god that i can't sing..cause after all the effort i've put into it it MUST be his fault.

*continues a wonderful life of lieing to himself*
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:A new game - [Fun] or [Bum]
...Caravan Ray fights back almost overwhelming urge to type something very childish and politically incorrect here....

instead...

Thanks fo the review Mr Cashpoint! I haven't thought of the Cramps for years - but yes, I suppose it is Cramps-y.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:A new game - [Fun] or [Bum]
...Caravan Ray fights back almost overwhelming urge to type something very childish and politically incorrect here....
I shall avoid the 'Consuma, Vagina Boy' and 'Cramps' puns that you are unwittingly opening up for (as it were)

And as for [fun] or [bum], don't worry, there's a special variation on the rules that I play behind closed doors. heh.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

apologies in advance for a surprisingly negative set of reviews...i'm usually able to pull out the good in my reviews..but tonight, not much is ... maybe I just don't like the title? That's IT...I'm suffering from title bias.

With that in mind, I give you my acerbic reviews:

--------------------------------
boltoph
great groove. nice low end. The vox are way too inconsistent level-wise, especially the rappish bits... I like the vibe, but it doesn't work with the title for me... There are awkward moments in the transition from the verse to the chorus..but you've got a good ear. This sounds pretty good on my pc speakers... My biggest beef is that it sounds like a song that you threw Ninja Gang vocals on...

butterskoskostage
not enough "song" for me....

chack
weird. I like the lyrics. Not keen on the delivery, but thats probably genre bias. it sounds good for indie folk. I find the repeating chord progression gets tired about halfway in. So, yah. Great lyrics. Boring song.

caravan ray
my wife thinks you sound like a russian Oscar the Grouch. I personally dig the surfer vibe in here. I'd listen to it again. There is a subvibe that binds it all together...I like it.

casiochoir
i predict in 5 years you will grow up and write a fucking song.

code burnt
ditto

consume vagina boy
wow, a triptych of dumbness...i'm lucky tonight. i will give you credit for a brief moment of Primus style groove I caught before I skpped to the next track

-wow- is it me or is there a lot of shit in this fight?

dark side of archeology
Thank you for redeeming this fight with something approaching a song. I kind of dig it, except I can't HEAR YOU.
Enunciate, mic technique, dynamics processing...all of the should be your friend. I like the scratching bits...nice touch.About 2:02 it's getting repetitive and long in the tooth (albeit a Ninjabusted tooth..). My opinion only, but the everything sounds crappily trashy..pardon me if that was the idea... You can get away with that if the music is really really good...but it isn't. Technical limitations maybe? I'll be looking for more of your stuff though, you are obviously creative.

Eightleggedoeipus
I like the japanese drum sounding stuff...the plinky guitar bit is kinda dumb. The bass sounds great, like the line. The backing beats never really quite do what I want them too. They seem like afterthoughts. Ok...it picks up nicely around 2:50. I'll tell you the same thing I've mentioned many times...mic technique, enunciation, dynamics processing...vocals are flat and they wander sometimes, like you pull back from the mic. that more often than not separates the good from the bad... You loop through the same sounding parts too long...this song is too long without enough variation to support it. But I think you've got some creative ideas, I'll be listening for more.

FAL
sorry, not my thing. i'm sure its good among other songs like it, but nerdcore bugs me. There are some great buildy bits tho. I like all of your solo stuff way more than this.

Luke Henley
man....wtf was that?

Neil Thrun
i'm trying to find something good to say...some of your better guitar playing Neil..and it's in tune at least.

Pileus
hahah...the zee, zee what? 24....nice! this is awright...the groove grooves...i'm not big on the samples tho...they're well used, i'm just not down widdat. Love the scratching. the lowdown stoner voice rappin' is a wee bit tooooo chill for my taste. Some mic technique could be applied here too...it's common with rap. The mix is pretty good otherwise.

SleazyDCollective
Nice keys sound...very full...well played too. Awkward transition to the first verse... There are some pitch issues with the vox, but you have a great voice. The bass is a bit buried...the snare could be a bit more ...i dunno..snarey? There is a disconnect between the title and the music, but whatyougonna do? I mean, Ninja Gang... The backing music is a bit noodly and detracts from the vocal delivery.
Very medium.

SFO
a fitting tribute to the Little Ninja, and a great continuation of the SFO. Nice mix, bit crispy..gotta tame them new superstar monitors!!! :)

Three Hole Punch
This is nice in a CCS kind of way, but only like if CCS took some Valium... :) I like the vocalist and harmonies..well executed. Good lyrics.. I also liked the oldskool drum machine beat. Short and sweet. Nice

Wounded Sea Turtle
ya know..the dumbass quotient of this fight is really high. Did you mean to submit 37 seconds of crap?

Wreckdom
YAYAYAYAY! Wreckdom have arrived. (I never thought I'd say that.) Hey men...nice to hear some guitar from you.

Caravan Ray gets my vote. Too bad about the silliness....though I should have stayed away from a title like Ninja Gang. Live and learn.

Cheers!
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

TheHipCola wrote: SFO
a fitting tribute to the Little Ninja, and a great continuation of the SFO. Nice mix, bit crispy..gotta tame them new superstar monitors!!! :)
crisp is a good description of TT's mix. it's really a pretty cool achievement how much you managed to fill in that 30 second space. and i can hear pretty much everything going on. great production. i love it.
Hi!
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

BUTTERSKOSKOSTAGE
this acoustic, bass, drums groove is kickin. The other synth sounds are complimenting, and not overdone which I also like. The only part that I'm not into is the part about goin a weepin'

C HACK
an alley in back bay? hey man that's where i work. I've seen em. shite i'm a fan of Cash and he's the man in black. Wish this had a chorus, one that expanded on the last lines of the verses, going somewhere else. Lyrics, great lyrics.

CARAVAN RAY
slammin groove, perfect soundtrack to ninja movie or insipiration in the dojo. sparse vocals compliment driving instrumentation. prolly one of my favs for this title...we'll see...

CASIO CHOIR
catchy, like a little ninja gang! I can see the little kids in that picture back there with this tune playing. the beeping metronome is a bit tough on the ears but that one liner chorus will stay in my head for hours.

CODE BURNT UMBER
ha. some of these lyrics crack me up. the rest make me wanna start talking Freudian.

CONSUME, VAGINA BOY
good idea but I can't even tell what notes you're trying to hit to know what the melody is supposed to be. sounds like you made up those vocals while you were recording 'em.

DARK SIDE OF ARCHEOLOGY
i'm down with this and it sounds like a rockin live recording but wanna hear more vocals and vocal melodies. The samples in the interludes are sweet.

EIGHT LEGGED OEDIPUS
the development of this song is ..... ROK! The guitar came in at just the right time, these chorus chord changes and the vocal melody with em is...this is farkin great. The beat change for the second chorus is so mint. Just one more chorus with vocals...and there it is

FRONTALITTLE SQUAD
yeah bud! this is great comedy and i like it for that. lyrics...the wang

LUKE HENLEY
the melody's in there and the jazz change up is good but...wtf? creative collage of random chit? HAHAHA

NEIL THRUN + DOOMFAIRIES
soprano, hey what if you had gotten a soprano to sing some ahhs and oohs? that would be sweet.

PILEUS
this is tight as a witch's bug. I like this rap vibe...these sound clips are the bomb! eastwood and i recognize the second. cool creative rap, i can chill with this vibe.

SLEAZY D COLLECTIVE
this sounds like FM7's glassy epiano. I always wanted to hear it cause i have it but have no midi controller or skills. A few more vocal takes may have produced a better vocal performance. Dig the vibe and dig the jazz drum track.

SF ORCHESTRA
good vocals and really cool instrumentation going on here. a good beginning to something larger...

THREE HOLE PUNCH
i have these casio drums on an old white keyboard. hmm...was goofy a really a dog?

WOUNDED SEA TURTLE
sort of reminds me of a series of nitrous hits.

WRECKDOM
rockin. this could be made to sound huge, especially with a kickass chorus.

BOLTOPH
my three min. eleven sec. theatre production.
Cast: 1 Kid, 3 person Ninja Gang, 2 chorus members.
(Acoustic guit = kid, Electric guit = gang)
Verse 1: Kid (sees gang, wonders what they do, wants to be part). Chorus 1: Introduce Gang (acts "tough", approaches kid). [One-Liner: chorus members] Verse 2: Kid (talks to gang, tries to act "tough"). Chorus 2: Gang (initiates and then rejects kid, gets kid drunk and possibly even defaces kid). End (kid semi-coherent with pain on sidewalk, gang walking off down foggy city street).
Thanks to Ima L. Pist for the rap and the one-liner falsetto.

...forgot to add...my vote goes to Oedipus
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

blue wrote:DEAR BOLTOPH

YOUR SONG MADE ME DIE

THAT WILL MAKE SOME PEOPLE HAPPY

AND SOME PEOPLE SAD

SO YOUR SCORE IS FIFTY PERCENT

OR LESS
Dear Blue,

I'll never be in the ninja gang.

Love,
Boltoph
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

TheHipCola wrote: -wow- is it me or is there a lot of shit in this fight?
Good, good; I was just listening to these at work on random and thinking the same thing. This may be my most hated fight ever so far, although I think there were a coupla good ones in there. I skipped a few tracks after a minute, which I almost never do on SongFight the first time I hear them.

Blue's thing reminded me of Burma Shave, which is cool.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

congratulations. all your negative shit talking has saved me the trouble of listening to any of the songs in this fight.

i'm beginning to rethink my position on this whole review thing....
Hi!
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

jack shite wrote:
TheHipCola wrote: SFO
crisp is a good description of TT's mix. it's really a pretty cool achievement how much you managed to fill in that 30 second space. and i can hear pretty much everything going on. great production. i love it.
Thanks Jack.

I think THO's assessment is probably right on the money. Personally I could have went with a little more bottom in the end. Not to be confused with bottom end. :roll: I cut it, actually, cuz there was so much going on in the D&B dept. that I thought it cluttered up the vox. In hindsight I think it would have increased the depth...... c'est la vie.... c'est songfight!

My headphones and my speakers are not in sync frequency-wise and I haven't had much time with them listening to other things (headphones top heavy-in the right way, and speakers coupled to wood with no sound absorption in the room(working on that)), so I adjusted the bottom END according to my speaker placement and tonal quality of the room. Just got 'em around X-mas, so not really sure of their addition to the mixing clause.

However, I am looking forward to your installment....... :)

.... the saga continues....

8)
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Sorry for the double post. BTW, the last drum hit IS the last drum hit from Jim's piece, in case anyone out there wants to line them up. All you have to do is overlap the two hits. Well kinda or cut the hit out and start with mine. I'm hoping to collate them and try to work the collage...... but I'm sure others involved will.

;p
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

OK
round one im in a good mood so Ill be probly too easy on most of ya
if i get time round 2 is the other fight

Boltoph--Not bad I like the guitar at about 2:57ish tho didnt do a lot for me on account of it all sounding slightly bland --- sorry C
Butter--Nice I like it good production cept I hate the snare sound I likw all the sound fx mustve been fun making B+
C-Hack--Guy and Guit pretty good for wat is it good lyric vox starts a bit weak but you quickly pull it back -would like to hear an orchestrated vers.B
Ray--heaviest yet...HAIHAIHAI excellent I like this A
casiochoir--cant hear the vox But its cool I hate it any way ............sorryE
BurntUmber--Worst rhymes ever wat more can I say E
ConVagBoy--intersting musical idea terrible vox I feel a bit conned Vagboy HAHAHAHHA C
DarkSide--again a great idea good song this time let down by production -samples are all cool an that but get the music to sound top notch first or drop samples the quality diff is too much to bear B
8OP--Really good not my thing but nevertheless well made and written tune I like the trumpet B+
Frnotalittle--HAHAH Well done cats Nerdcore rULez -Wat can I say you know how good you all are A
LukeHenley--erm I dont get the beginning--the rest --I like the two voices working together Good cough hate the music tho C-
NeilTrun--Guy and Giut not bad but nort as good as C-Hack listen to his and compare C
Pileus--Not bad well made tune more good samples is it you scratching too long tho ---bleh its ok points off:too long C-
Sleazy--Nice voice shame I hate the supermarket stylee muzak behind it -dont like the drums neither more kik less snare more variety you know D
SFO--Top draw i really like it nice addition to the project thingy A
3HP--sounds a bit like Sleazy also in this fight - read that review mostly applies here too this one is slightly better tho C--
Wounded--erm......wot can I say Why??? erm E
Wreckdom-- OH MY GOD top draw best Wreckdom song like ever (and I mean song) You guys have excelled yoursevles this time Kudos to you and I love this song The best was certainly last on my playlist A+

as you can tell from the grades give Im gonna probly vote for Wreckdom
well done to everyone else tho - and looking back I may have been slightly harsh on some of you --eeerrr--sorry
at least you all got off youe arses and done a tune this week I didnt, again

but I did review
Y'all come back now you hear

damn spelling
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jack shite wrote:congratulations. all your negative shit talking has saved me the trouble of listening to any of the songs in this fight.
Don't take my word for it, Jack. THINK FOR YOURSELF
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

There are a lot of vaginal / sword as manhood refernces in this fight. I would say it is Freudian if the connection weren't so obvious. Which would be ok if something about it were witty or interesting.

I just hope the fight next week isn't "Twenty-seven Holes in the Ground" and we have to listen to Bjam and Heather.Redmond sing about male fear of commitment.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

27 holes in the ground?

I totally don't get it.

I guess I'm just afraid of commitment.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

jack shite wrote:congratulations. all your negative shit talking has saved me the trouble of listening to any of the songs in this fight.

i'm beginning to rethink my position on this whole review thing....
what was your position in the first place? I figure it's like movie reviews...I never let a bad review stop me from seeing a movie I wanted to see... reviews are pretty subjective...

So just to clear it up, the opinions expressed in my reviews are MINE only...they do not in any way reflect those of Jack Shite. Besides Jack, I did explain I probably suffered from title bias...I dislike silliness in music. Ninja Gang necessitates some silliness....

There, now you can review with a clear slate. ;)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

THC: i got no beef with your review or opinion. it just REALLY bugs me when when someone says something like..."this whole fight sucks" or "this is the worst fight i've ever listened to", or something to that effect. yes, it's an opinion you're (pl) entitled to but what does it really add of value to anyone? especially if one doesn't actually bother to back that claim up with reviews. there's enough diversity in the average fight to please almost anyone. to say things like "this whole fight sucks" just to me comes across as lazy, disinterested, and not worthy of my time reading. why bother tell everyone the fight sucks? that is non-constructive to getting me (and most likely many others) to listen. especially when we have options, like other fights to listen to.

the fact you did them in the first place THC is what's important. my opinion of reviews is that they are important, offer value to the artists, offer the average listener that doesn't participate with a song to feel like a bigger part of the community. but maybe they are overrated after all.

because when someone lazily proclaims "well this whole fight pretty much sucks but i'm not gonna really tell you why", i'll be thinking "why did we really need to know this?"
Hi!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Man, I get confused seeing the picture of Leaf with Jack's posts, and vice-versa. I read through your whole post before I realized it wasn't Leaf talking. Perhaps a picture of Sandy Duncan instead?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

These, I hold so close to my heart! :lol:
TheHipCola wrote: ...I'm suffering from title bias....-wow- is it me or is there a lot of shit in this fight?
HeuristicsInc wrote:This may be my most hated fight ever so far...
nicegeoff wrote:A pretty disappointing fight...I was trying my best to sing like a girl...
Freddielove wrote:There are a lot of vaginal / sword as manhood refernces in this fight...
re: boltoph -
j$ wrote:this sounds like one of those white LA bands with loads of tattoos, peroxide hair but a sensitive side
j$, I wish! I wish! Any color of skin will do, just gimme the tatoos and hair without having to pay for em!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

This fight rules. I wish I had a picture of JOS.....

I AM THE REAL JON ERIC.