Everybody was kung fu fighting (Ninja Gang Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Me$$iah wrote:A girl walks into a bar
she walk upto the bar tender and says
"Id like a double entendre please"
so he gave her one
ROFL! I'm putting this in the joke thread.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

yay for moderators!
Hi!
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Botolph - Other than the production at points, the kick is the most distracting point in this song, but the chorus is so painful in it's sincerity that it just makes me hit skip. :shock:

Butterskoskostage - More bad rap.

Caravan Ray - Great surf noise rock and probably my favourite for the title especially the ululating. 8)

Casio Choir - Very cool casio noise but holy is that auto-tuner working over-time. 8)

Burnt Umber - After about 10 seconds of being bothered about the proximity effect induced by the vocals I skipped it.

consumevaginaboy - So cool I skipped it.

Frontalittle Squad - The samples in the BG are the best part of this, that and the Spud rap, but I kind of thought the voices were a little too far forward in the mix.

Luke Henley - I love the drama of this, like a baby on his knees tantruming cuz they didn't get their own way with the disjointed nonsense of music that could encapsulate such emotion. 8)

Neil Thrun - So funny I skipped it.

Pileus - Great rapping, mix and groove for the title and just might have had my vote if it weren't for the length.

Sleazy D Collective - The tuning and pseudo jazz is kind of annoying after a while, but not as bad as some of the others.

SFO - I thought this length is the perfect length for such a knobby title and works well with it's counterpart. 8)

Three Hole Punch - This is like a road map to the CCS songwriting school of thought, but either way I love the Casio concepts and it may be the first written song of the fight.

Wounded Sea Turtle - Sonic Scape Ejaculation but not a song. 8)

Wreckdom - This may be the most commercial Wreckdom song ever and the winner for the title. 8)

The brown stars themselves took it for this title. Just cuz there was so much crappy music for this title. I voted Wreckdom followed by Caravan Ray, Luke Henley, Three Hole Punch and Casio Choir.

;p
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

tonetripper wrote:reviews
hey, mine's not that bad, is it?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

Sorry C. Forgot about your post, was doing the Itunes thing from the playlist which obviously yours wasn't on.

C. Hack - The drunk swagger combined with the story that emulates the long lost chapter from the Warriors movie are reasons why this would have got my vote if it were entered in on time. 8)

Dude, when are you gonna write a song for a cool independent film by Jim Jaramusch or something? You make some of the finest movie music around here.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

You forgot Eight Legged Oedipus, too. (This one was my fav)
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

jb wrote:<b>trolling nonsense removed</b>
http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=372
Thanks JB!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

tonetripper wrote: C. Hack - The drunk swagger combined with the story that emulates the long lost chapter from the Warriors movie are reasons why this would have got my vote if it were entered in on time. 8)
Huh? I voted for C Hack yesterday. He's in the list.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

Oops. My playlist is old I guess. Never re-downloaded the new and improved list. My vote goes to C. Hack then followed by 8LO. Thanks Bill.

8LO - The production is great in this song and the hooks are aplenty. Good job. 8)

;p
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

At least give Oedipus a listen. It's a creative tune.

ooops...that darn edit button... ROK
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Two votes -- woohoo!

(reviews coming soon -- working like a dog this week)
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

c hack wrote:Two votes -- woohoo!

(reviews coming soon -- working like a dog this week)
Youve won this man. While I am voting for code burn tumber, im sure all of the losers who can't see code burn tumber's genius will vote for you. Note that the fact losers are voting for you does not make you a loser, because your song was really cool.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

My money is on Caravan Ray.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

boltoph wrote:My money is on Caravan Ray.
I'm surprised you could find a bookie to take the bet.

Caravan Ray generally starts at about 10 gazillion-to-1. No wins to date and with his poor form leading into this one, a lot of punters are saying the poor, old, bloke should be put out to pasture.

(...but thanks for the vote of confidence :) )
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

My money is on Ray, too. Unless Crazy Town has 51 friends...
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Boltoph, was your song as sincere as many seem to have taken it to be? Because I thought it was pretty hilarious, but maybe I misinterpreted the sentiment. Anyway, I liked it a lot. Oh well...
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Lunkhead wrote:Boltoph, was your song as sincere as many seem to have taken it to be? Because I thought it was pretty hilarious, but maybe I misinterpreted the sentiment. Anyway, I liked it a lot. Oh well...
:lol: Thank you so much for noticing - now way was it sincere in the least. this song was killin me as I wrote and recorded it. The serious drama chorus made it even funnier to me.

shhhhhugahh, baby
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Finally getting to the reviews. Trying to decide if I want to pull an all-nighter and finish Glass Eye or just finish it after work tomorrow and not enter it. But I gotta do the reviews either way.

Luke Henley: Ow, that intro hurt. Yeah, I knew that was a sample. Okay, this is stupid. You're wasting my fucking time. Stopping 1/3 into it.

Casio Choir: aptly named. Could stand to be louder. Hmm. nice and short. I kinda liked this, except for the fact that some of your beeps sound like the standard
"click" sound in Reason. Playing it again... I wish I could understand what you're saying. Nice little tune.

Butterskawhatever: did you just burp? (rewinding) No, I don't think so. This is stupid.

Wounded Sea Turtle: without any context, this just comes off as uninspired. The sounds are pretty cool, but these days you can get cool sounds by buying some software, turning the knobs randomly, and hitting record. Where's the fucking ninjas?

Song Fight Orchestra: this song felt like looking at myself in a circus mirror. With some context (ie, if this was the "weird" song in between two really good ones), it could be pretty cool.

Code Burnt Umber: Burnt umber is dirt, originally from the Umbria region of Italy, that has literally been burnt (raw umber being the uncooked variety). Technically, it's a calcined natural iron oxide containing manganese dioxide, alumina, and silica (trace). Okay, that last bit I looked up in my handy reference book.

Wreckdom: What the fuck kinda crazy bizarro world did I enter where Wreckdom has one of the most listenable songs in the fight so far? What's gonna happen to me tomorrow? Should I take a shower to dry off? If I eat rat poison, will it cure my cold? Should I slack off at work so I'll get promoted? Funny how your songs get more and more listenable as you get better.

Frontalittle: ANNUNCIATE! You really sound amateurish. Production is fine, but the song isn't really doing anything for me.

Dark Side of Archeology: It seems like you put a decent amount of work into this, but I'm not feeling it.

Boltoph: Bass drum is kinda overpowering. I think this is the best one so far though. Don't know what it's about, but it has a nice feel to it. The only thing that sucks about this song is the rapping. The rapping itself isn't so bad (though it could come out a little more), but the "street" lyrics come off as insincere. Hell, even if you were living hard on the streets with gats and shit, it's been overdone and I'm bored with it.

Neil Thrun: You gotta work on your singing. Song not really doing anything for me. Where are the doom fairies? Sounds like g^2 (guy + guitar).

consume, vagina boy: What's up with the word Ninja that brings out the crude 13-year-old humor in everyone?

c hack: Dylan seems to be able to pull off the simple-progression-repeated-over-and-over thing. Wonder what I need to do to do the same? Listening to it again, I agree with with whoever said it could use a cheesy keyboard part. This song is but one part of my Ninja Saga. Another part is coming next week as the song "Glass Eye."

caravan ray: This isn't bad, but I'm not sure if it's voteworthy. Probably a contender though.

sleazy d: not sure what to say about this. Good effort, but I'm not feeling it.

three hole punch: The intro sounds kinda like the intro to Beck's "Deadweight." Or at least, has the same feeling. then it sounds like Pizzicato 5. There's something about this that makes me feel like it's uncomfortably close, like it's invading my personal space. I think this song is easily the best so far. I think I'll keep it too.

eight legged octopus: Bass is too much in the front, doesn't fit with the verby drums. I appreciate the work you put into this, but I'm not feeling it.

pileus: not doing anything for me.

Conclusion: Casio Choir was fun, as was SFO, but I think I liked Boltoph's better. At first, I thought Three Hole Punch would be the clear winner, but I'm liking Boltoph's the more I listen to it. [after going back and forth] Three Hole Punch edged it out and got my vote. Mostly because its lyrics were way better.
Pileus
A New Player

wewp

Post by Pileus »

hey 3rd isnt bad for our first songfight, congrats frontalittlesquad and wreckdoM
Last edited by Pileus on Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For the longest time i thought D.A.R.E. ment Drugs are Really Exciting.. " -Mom, you'll be missed.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

sweet 16...

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Awww, fiddlesticks. we were so close this time. Oh well, thanks greatly to everyone for the kind and generous words, especially the fighmasters, I was all smiles when I read that. And mark my words, you have not heard the last of....SoldouT WreckdoM!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

c hack wrote:Neil Thrun: You gotta work on your singing. Song not really doing anything for me. Where are the doom fairies? Sounds like g^2 (guy + guitar).
I do realize my singing needs works. I do feel it has gotten better since i started recording. Its very helpfull to hear yourself from speakers, you pick up on where you went wrong. I do hear some of those places but the deadline caught up with me, I had no more time to re-record. As for the doom fairies, they're non-existant. In one song I had my friend do a vocal sample. Back from Brazil was the fight I believe. But I've never consulted him to see if he wants to hold the oficial title of Doom Fairy.

Okay, cool.