And Don King is nowhere in sight (Chaos vs. Order reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle
Pronouns: he/him

And Don King is nowhere in sight (Chaos vs. Order reviews)

Post by TVsKyle »

Eh.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dave - so dark... »

I hope our song gets posted up, i think i miscalculated what time we had to enter by in +800 hours. ._.

It's a last minute song.. but quite possibly the best one we've done yet! huzzah! ... though i suppose it's not hard considering our previous entries.

Our collective pants are filled with happy!

and i shall at some point get around to refilling my profile with stuff. ... yes.. stuff.

that is all.
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Unit_Z wrote:I hope our song gets posted up, i think i miscalculated what time we had to enter by in +800 hours. ._.
If it doesn't get posted, can you put a link to it somewhere? I'd still like to get to hear it.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

<font color=blue>THE HALLOWED ENCLAVE OF GOODNESS</FONT>

Caravan Ray
Catchy. While I can tell what coolness you were going for, I don't think the section at 1:45 where all the voices overlaps works, because I think the recording isn't quite clear enough. This is terrific, but it's pretty short. That chord change under the "bop bop" is a nice surprise. Things are way too panned to the edges. I like your soft vocal style here.

Draft
Oh man, this is over way too soon. Very nice. The wide-open-road-across-the-plains feel of this song makes it sound like it's going to go on a while, and well it could. I can hear this sound continuing for 5-6 minutes, droning me into a pleasant trance. The backwards stuff in there is subtle and pleasant. Now make it longer. Add a bridge, give it some more shape. Great start.

Eddiebangs
This is not my thing, but I still like it. That break with the ding is cool. This sounds like standard issue Eddiebangs, but that doesn't keep it from entering into my Hallowed Enclave of Goodness.

TV's Kyle
My winner for the week. I love this idea, and I love the two different vocal styles. The lyrics are funny and I can understand them and I'm interested the whole time. Lots of funny parts. Cute tune. Works on every level. An instant Songfight classic. Got my vote and my predicted winner.

<FONT COLOR = RED>EVERYONE ELSE</font>

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
I guess I don't get it. Leaves me cold. The song doesn't engage me emotionally at all. Musically it's quite ordinary. The arrangement is kind of neat, but isn't enough to overcome the song's dullness for me. I do like the recording, it has a smooth quality that's very appealing.

Down With Gender
Well, this is kind of pretty. The piece should be played more deftly to give it the delicate feel it sounds like it wants to have. You land pretty hard on those downbeats, and the bass line isn't played rhythmically as smooth as it ought to be. I'd like to try my hand at it, cuz it sounds like it's kind of fun to play. The wrong notes in the last few bars are cool. Of course this is very short, but I like it. I assume your last cut-off chord represents the "chaos"?

Hentai Kitty Death
I wasn't liking this, so I turned it up to see if playing it really loud would make a difference, and it did. All that low end material gives it a weight you can only get when it's loud. I'm sort of too tired for this kind of song today, but on a better day I might like it. Songs that try and fail to scare me are sort of annoying. But this is recorded really well, and has a nice texture and shape, and I can't really fault it. Solid work.

Jeremy Martin
This is a well-enough written song, but falls short of being great for a couple reasons for me. One is that the verse is pretty repetitive, even though it's pretty. But the chorus doesn't have nearly enough variety from the verse. You add the harmony, but the two sections sound too similar, so by the time I've gotten to your bridge I'm tired of the song. The uke works in the mix for me.

Squirrel Damage
There's nothing really wrong with this, but it lacks specialness. You sound like your basic decent hard-working local band, and if this were on your CD, it would be just fine, but it really doesn't stand out, and goes on too long at kind of the same level the whole way.

WreckdoM
A lot less chaos, a lot more order, please. Got about halfway through.
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Woohoo! reviews: Success vs. Failure

Caravan Ray - This is recorded well. It's catchy. I wouldn't seek it out, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stop it. Success.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints - Those noises do sound very Casio to me. The background that starts at the end is pretty cool. This doesn't take me anywhere. Failure.

Down with Gender - This little piano piece seems to have nothing to do with the title. If there would have been a little back and forth, pushing and shoving maybe... Failure.

Draft - This doesn't seem too bad, it makes me think of the countless shows I've been to when I want to clean the wax from the sound guy's ears.

Eddiebangs - That's what I call Metal. Was that a microwave indicating that my burrito is ready at 1:33? This doesn't stand out to me as unique. More like a watered down version of something that's been overdone. There are still loyalists out there though. Mild Success.

Hentai Kitty Death - The build up in the beginning is good. I'd pitch shift that vocal a little more. The little blips really don't seem to fit. Mario meets Satan. I really like the waterfall of noise that's behind the performer(s). Success.

Jeremy Martin - It amazes me that no matter the title, someone can make it into a sappy pathetic guy love song. I really don't like this. It's too long. Failure.

Squirrel Damage - I'm glad someone else makes a reference to MC Hawking. This is melodic, it has nice little drumming changes. Pretty well written too. Success.

TV's Kyle - Lots of They Might be Giants influence here. I like making them real characters. This is good. The length is appropriate. Success.

WreckdoM - This is bizarre even for WreckdoM. I think that there's a lot of good stuff here. I really love the this piece on many levels.
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

Chaos v Order Revues
Caravan Ray- Cool noises on my little computer speakers.
Melody goes well with the music- ba ba--- Vocals are a
bit too processed. Good synth loop dealie. Can't really
hear what you're saying. A good mix of organic and
digital. B

Hentai Kitty Death- is it the Pulp Fiction soundtrack?
Almost sounds like a washing machine in the background.
Maybe with guitars like this you want some bigger drum
sounds. Or maybe that's just what they want you to do.
Good ideas, maybe make the vocal more extreme in parts. C

Draft- Backwardriffic. Liked the music and then the vocal
came in. Spacious. OK, just cuz it's not doing what I
thought it would do, doesn't matter. I am not much of a
fan of this new school ower register singing. And I
thought I overprocessed my vocals this week! It's not
bad, but I wanted a little more variety in it. C-

Squirrel Damage (me) Those tiny speakers don't sound so
hot. I heard George Martin would test mixes on tranistor
radio speakers. I guess this is OK- I like the bridge.
Clearly there are some mixing issues.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints- Initially sounds like a
new U2 record at half speed. Then the bleeps come in. So
how is this different from J$? Just a different name? I
am interested in these entries that use computer bleeps
bc I dont really know how to do that. I'm looking for a
bit of a hook. C+

TV's Kyle- I keep thinking you're saying "odor is".
Stinky. Not the song. Cartoony. Is this stolen from they
might be giants? I think this is my favorite song of
yours I have ever heard. C+

Eddiebangs- Bringing the r o c k. with the wah even.
Produced well- I like the echo vocals. Even a bit of a
hook with "the best of me". This is very metalish- maybe
it would sound more interesting as a melodic punk song.
The production makes me give it a B

WreckdoM- How did you get a cat to make that noise?
Reeeerrr. You do get points for real voice mails. But it
still barely saves you. D

Down With Gender- Now, I just can't play piano like that.
Sweet. oooh- then comes the dischordant part, the part
that's ripped off. How do you rate a song like this? OK,
I will get out the dartboard. Oooh! C-

Jeremy Martin- Is that mandolin? Nice enough with the
harmonies. I wished a couple times you would take the
melody way way up high- maybe just once in the song. I am
waiting for a middle 8, a solo, something different...
This is pretty good. B+
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

Is this stolen from they might be giants?
No.
No it isn't.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
I guess I don't get it. Leaves me cold. The song doesn't engage me emotionally at all. Musically it's quite ordinary.
Ha ha, this is the same review I gave you for last week's entry, Jim!

Tony: DB&TI is a collab between J$ and me. So it's different because I work on it too.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Eddiebangs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Vegas 8, Cubasex3, Delta 1010, Wavelab etc...
Submitting as: Eddiebangs, Big Seed DNA

Post by Eddiebangs »

My thoughts... :twisted:

Caravan Ray
I really dig the song, great music neat sounds & effects. Very Creative. HOWEVER- the extreme panning is terrible. I was listening with headphones and it was VERY annoying. I listened again through my speakers and it was still very distracting. I would love to hear a remix with the panning much less extreme.

Jeremy Martin
Nice little tune. The vocals could be louder. Nice chorus. I like the melodies…and harmonies. I’m afraid it’s a bit too long…Shorten it by a minute or so…My only other beef is the drum sounds. Don’t settle for what the drum machine has to offer…play with it, manipulate it…make it as good as you can. Overall, not bad…nice job!

Hentai Kitty Death
The intro sounds like it belongs in a Quinten Tarintino movie.(yeah, I probly’ spelt his nme wrong) I like this. Very dark and mysterious.. Sounds very German, whatever that means. I dig it.

Down With Gender
If you actually played this, I am impressed. But I have a funny feeling I’m not impressed.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints
I really like the delay on the piano… I like the whole thing. Very moody and slightly dark. I don’t like the effects on your voice in the chorus. Neat rounds. I like the melodies. Nice changes… Very cool J$! Good job!

Draft
Tasty intro. Nice drums. I love all the sound effects. Man- this is awesome..reminds me of Mad Season. Fucking AWESOME. I love this. I downloaded this…which is very rare. You are awesome..we are not worthy…I hate you...

Wreckdom
I like this. After 1 min it’s getting old though. OK, some changes…cool I guess…It went from interesting and fun to just plain lame, but it took a long time to get there. Make your songs shorter and more people will enjoy them.(in my opinion)

TV’s Kyle
Wow.. this is really…uh…(checks to make sure nobody is looking)…cool! I dig it. Very original, bright, and kept my interest.. LOVE the beat-box! Delicious!

Squirrel Damage
I like this, but something’s not quite right (soundwise) Can’t put my finger on it… Cool melodies…Ghost of Carl Sagan..ha…Could have been a little shorter for us short-attention-span-types.. Overall cool.
Be my friend
or you suck
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

TV’s Kyle
Wow.. this is really…uh…(checks to make sure nobody is looking)…cool! I dig it. Very original, bright, and kept my interest.. LOVE the beat-box! Delicious!
Hah! There's something to be said for being a guilty pleasure. Thanks!
-Kyle A. Carrozza
Unit.M
A New Player

O v C

Post by Unit.M »

I'm so happy we got this done in time.
Jim of Seattle:
Songs that try and fail to scare me are sort of annoying.
We werent trying to be scary. Umm.. if we were then thats great. But this time scaryness was not intentional. I suppose its good that so far noone's mentioned mosquitos or bleeding ears.
Richard WreckdoM:
I'd pitch shift that vocal a little more.
Pitch shifting eh? That'd be a hell of a lot easier than the two of us trying to record vocal seperately. I for one have the devils own time trying to sing to the rhythm that Z sets with his singing. But in the end... thats half the fun.
Tony Asbestos:
Hentai Kitty Death- is it the Pulp Fiction soundtrack?
Almost sounds like a washing machine in the background.
Maybe with guitars like this you want some bigger drum
sounds. Or maybe that's just what they want you to do.
Good ideas, maybe make the vocal more extreme in parts.
No sampling of other musics was harmed in the making of this song. Not intentionally. We were having a damn good laugh about the song being about a SpaceCowboy called Jim. A metal spacecowboy.
The drums. Yes. we so very much need better drum samples. fruityloops drums are a pain in the ass to mix. If only we had a set of drums, the ability to play said drums well, and a shed in the middle of a field somewhere so we didnt disturb the neighbours.
And the vocals. We tried to make them more extreme, but due to their extreme suckness we decided to not include them. All the musk lifesaver vodka we were drinking did something to our throats. Z also kept collapsing in coughing fits that scared me, and I have asthma.

Also not included in the final mix were the many many vocal takes where we failed to do anything right, and ended up yelling about cocks. All for the betterment of humanity.
Eddiebangs:
The intro sounds like it belongs in a Quinten Tarintino movie.
Sounds very German, whatever that means.
Like I said... SPaaaaaaaceeeeCooowwwbooooyyyyy. ehyyyyyyyy. 8)
And.. German is cool. I dont think weve ever been described as German before... I think I could get used to that. I think the two bands we were thinking of when we did this song were The Kovenant, and VNV Nation. Only less VNV. And BOY do the lyrics sound like we'd been reading Kovenant lyrics for the last three weeks.

Thanks for the reviews so far, its nice to know that we arent *too* bad.
I'm immensely happy with the whole thing. Except the vocals, but thats always our problem. We're getting better at recording the guitar andmixing stuff. One day we'll crack this vocal thing, and then we'll be unstoppable! UNSTOPPABLE I TELL YOU!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Eddiebangs wrote:My thoughts... :twisted:

Caravan Ray
I really dig the song, great music neat sounds & effects. Very Creative. HOWEVER- the extreme panning is terrible. I was listening with headphones and it was VERY annoying. I listened again through my speakers and it was still very distracting. I would love to hear a remix with the panning much less extreme.
Thanks for the comments Eddie - re. the panning thing, I really wasn't sure if it would work or not. To tell the truth, I'm really a bit lost when it comes to the stereo mixing thing.

I'd come to the conclusion that I'd ruined too many of my songs in the past by fiddling with too many knobs - so this week I did nothing - no mixing, no graphic equaliser, no effects, no compression - no nothing.

The electronic bits came straight from Fruity Loops - the organic bits were just me and my acoustic guitar and a microphone. I just recorded the loops then tried to cut and paste them so that they sort of balanced out.

It was an interesting experiment - I see it as one more small step along that big learning curve
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

woo review style post!

*dances for your amusement first*

caravan ray: i like how this starts. the chiptune sounds are awesome.. and then you stop being cool... and then it comes back later and your in my cool books again. uhm. might like it if i wasn't so upset by lack of game music in the rest of it.

Dollar Bill + Inkpots : ooh! mokre game sounding synth! i like this.. i wish you didn't start singing.. i can't hear the song as well anymore :/ vocals are actually okay.. hmm. but perhaps need to be alot deeper to mix with the song better. I like this.

down with gender: piano piece.. i like this. i like how the tune becomes dischordant at the end.. the order vs chaos perhaps? :) Short, sweet, and pretty. I like. Doesn't need vocals imho.

Draft : This is cool.. reminds me of another band, but can't remember the name right now.. I like, but can't comment much. Possible Vote.

eddiebangs: many swears in your direction for how good this is. Now one thing i must know.. how do you get the sound for the solo near the middle of your song.. it sounds like one of my favorite guitarists Kiyoshi from the bands Machine and Spread Beaver. *screams* I MUST KNOW!! You have my vote, methinks. *loops solo over and over*

wreckdom: this is crazy. I like parts, and get bored in others. listened through twice... I like your insanity. I also like entropy. and I like the pisstake 80's metal in the middle.

squirrel damage: hmm.. i don't know if i like this or not. It's produced well, and the instruments sound good.. vocals are a little irritating.. song sounds like one of those songs that get played on the radio alot, but wish they wouldn't.

jeremy martin: i got about 40 seconds into this before pressing stop. I then felt bad, and tried again. skipped to a few points in the song.. doesn't help.. you might as well be looping the first 5 seconds over and over. Acoustic + vocal songs have to have some sort of clever hook or really interesting chord progression to make them interesting. You don't.

Hentai Kitty Death: heh. not so bad for our efforts.. vocals are all over the place, and in my opinion, too high in the mix. We actually had a decent computer for this one, and as a result, it was alot easier, and the results were better. either that, or we're improving. *gasp* ;P

Vote goes to Eddiebangs.

Thanks to all of you who reviewed our song so far. I'm amazed none of you have hated it yet. MY GOD WE MUST BE SELLING OUT!! *panics*

yes.
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

oops. I forgot Tv's Kyle.

uuuuhm. Listening to each voice separately on each channel was amusing.. and it wasn't so bad when they were both going that it was annoying.. which must have been a feat.. I thought the beatbox thing needed to be done a little bit better, although. still pretty cool though. sorry for forgetting you! (._.)/
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Richard WreckdoM wrote:Hentai Kitty Death - The build up in the beginning is good. I'd pitch shift that vocal a little more.
Not pitch shifted. thats my real voice, and Unit M is singing over the top of me. i've i wish i could work out how to pitchshift my voice properly without making it sound wrong when i sing. Then i could sound like that guy from type o negative :)
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Post by DOWNWITHGENDER2 »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Down With Gender
Well, this is kind of pretty. The piece should be played more deftly to give it the delicate feel it sounds like it wants to have. You land pretty hard on those downbeats, and the bass line isn't played rhythmically as smooth as it ought to be. I'd like to try my hand at it, cuz it sounds like it's kind of fun to play. The wrong notes in the last few bars are cool. Of course this is very short, but I like it. I assume your last cut-off chord represents the "chaos"?
The order was the beginning, everything was in C Phrygian. The chaos was supposed to be when Pachelbel's Canon started, but in D major, so it sounded off even though it was the right notes just the wrong scale... I meant to play longer, but forgot the notes to Canon, so I stopped.
Blue says that if I were younger he would sodomize me.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

Well, it's about time I did one of these review thingees. Having read what I wrote, it comes off as kinda harsh, but no sense in watering down my thoughts on these, right?

WreckdoM- I went into this dreading it, but I actually kind of enjoyed it. This particular collection of noises sounds good together. Still, this brand of chaos is never gonna be my thing. If you ever made something more accessable, you'd be a real force to be reckoned with. I wish I could get my beatboxing to record that well.

TV's Kyle- Yer mother dresses ya funny.

Caravan Ray- Not too shabby. The mix is kind of uncomfortable, though. This one-channel-or-the-other thing in the first half isn't working. Especially the vocals. Whatever that effect is on your vocals, it isn't necessary. Too damn short.

Jeremy Martin- I wish your voice was as loud as the drums. The instrumentation is really, really boring. A piano. A kazoo. SOMETHING. If you play this live, however, you WILL get laid.

Hentai Kitty Death- You roped me in with that opening Tarantino thing, and you lost me with that charging guitar. You got me back with the 80s singing and the the bloopy noise. If you guys were more electronic, I could actually be into you. The song completely loses it's timing at the chorus.

Down With Gender- Ok, well, there's a piano... And it's still going...and now it's playing some other song off key... and then it's ending... Ok... you get a participation pin.

Squirrel Damage- Competant. The melody ain't bad. Quality stuff, but I'm still kinda bored. I think it's the instrumentation again. The moog thingee sounded good and there's some damn fine guitat playing in there, but this needs something more. The lyrics are fun, especially the Carl Sagan thing.

Draft- This is good for what it is. This just isn't my kinda thing, which doesn't make it bad. Once again, play it live, get laid.

Eddiebangs- Very professional sounding rock tune. Nicely produced, really. Still, not my brand of gum, but not at all boring. Strong Bad would listen to this. Assuming you produced this yourself would you please produce my album?

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints- Ok electronic piece, but your vocals are completely buried.

Eddiebangs gets my vote. I'm a sucker for slick production.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

It's time for some Random Ordered Grade-less "thought about doing an instrumental for this fight but didn't have the time" Reviews! Huzzah.

Hentai Kitty Death
Vocal rhythm goes out of sync in places. Guitars are a bit too fuzzed up, I think. It's washing over the rest. But not half bad. Me likes.

WreckdoM
I just don't get it. My loss? Perhaps. Something in here sounds like super mario. I won't try to stop your rectum, I promise. Me no likes.

It like almost goes to a double-time feel after the first chorus, but the unchanged bass drum lags the transition, I think. More clearer transition to 2x feel pleez. Vocals hard to make out. All things considered though, me likes.

Squirrel Damage
Not very interesting melody or chords. Generic and a half. It's not awful. The chorus starts out nicely and the second half (of chorus) is boring again. Me no likes.

Eddiebangs
Never really liked this style. Not your fault. The guitars just wash over everything and muffle shit up. The wah guitar and sort-of-portamento guitar parts are good. Me no likes.

Caravan Ray
Got carried away with the panning? I wonder what it sounds like in headphones. Did you do the whole panning thing just for the layered vocals section? Because it's exactly what you want for that section, just maybe not the rest of the song. Listened to this twice in a row 'cause it's very interesting and well done. Me likes plenty.

Jeremy Martin
Bleh. The phrase "pain I'm feeling inside" and all permutations thereof should be illegal in music. Me no likes.

Draft
WHOAH. This is great! A 7/4 song that doesn't have a Money-esque bass line! Sounds more like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, now that I think of it. But not so much. The intro is awesome. The groove is downright subversive. I'd prefer the cleaner guitars to be brought out more in the mix. Big glaring problem: only half finished! Please please please I beg you to add open solo(s), needs one for crazy guitar and one for crazy saxophone, and I don't know if it's too much compression, but you need more dynamic range to get a good climax out of this song. Me likes lots.

Down With Gender
This is, hands down, the best DWG I've ever heard. Do you save your good stuff for songfight? Although you're not really playing anything in C Phrygian. It's all strictly Ab major, there's more to modal music than a key signature. This would fit the fight better if you had put more thought into the Pachelbel's part (interesting factoid, Pachelbel's Canon in D is actually not a canon at all! da na naaaa!), and continued with it. Reminds me of the end of A Clockwork Orange (the movie) with that #4 pedal tone under the ninth symphony. Me likes.

TV's Kyle
Very good song that starts out weak but gets a lot better once you get into the verses. The production isn't as good as a lot of entries (*cougheddie*), but the idea is original, interesting, funny, and well executed. Infinitely more Muppet Show than TMBG, by the way. Me likes a bunch.

Well, Draft was a sure thing almost to the end, if only their song were longer (and had crazy solo!) it would be no contest, but TV's Kyle may have them beat. I'll have to sleep on it. Both of you really have my vote, the fact that I can only cast one is an unfortunate technicality. I'm glad I listened to this fight, the only bad ones were the boring ones.
Let cake eat them.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TVsKyle »

Infinitely more Muppet Show than TMBG, by the way. Me likes a bunch.
For this song, that's a comparison I can appreciate! Thanks!
-Kyle A. Carrozza
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Chaos is like one of the movie critics channeling Animal.
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kaos reviews:

Hentai Death Kitty – This sounds like the rotting corpse of Ian Curtis has been dug up and forced to sing Duran Duran’s “Planet Earth”. I’m picturing a lot of bad 80’s haircuts. Nice work production wise – but not doing it for me

Jeremy Martin – Nice melody. A bit more warmth/strength in the vocals and this would be pretty good. As is, not bad but drags slightly towards the end.

Squirrel Damage – Not bad – just a bit generic sounding. Nothing very exciting

TVs Kyle – Very TMBG. Interesting ideas in this. Fun song – pretty good

Dollar Bill & Inkspots – Not doing it for me – I’m losing interest quickly

Down With Gender – I like this a lot. Very good. This is the first thing I’ve heard you do that actually sounds like it was inspired by the title.

Draft – Not bad. Really not my thing genre-wise, but I’m quite enjoying this

Eddie Bangs – Once again, a major genre mismatch for me. Sounds good, but not my cup of tea.

Wreckdom – Your stuff is really hit-or-miss for me. This is miss,

Caravan Ray – Surprised I’m the only one to take the mathematical slant here (then again, perhaps I’m the only complete nerd here). I’m a huge fan of the whole chaos/fractal geometry thing – and who said nonlinear dynamics can’t be funky.

Apologies for the strange panning thing – it wasn’t out of any attempt to be artistic or anything, it’s just that the Cakewalk console screen frightens me – it does the full pan thing by default. (It would also help if I actually listened to the MP3s before posting them). Thanks to Eddie and other for advice on this.

Interesting fight - I think I’ll vote for Down with Gender (now there’s a sentence I never expected to be typing). That little piano thing was short, sweet and very enjoyable.
The Anonymous Reviewer
A New Player

Post by The Anonymous Reviewer »

Caravan Ray
Cool arrangement but not a big fan of the hard panning. I like that washboard percussion thing. The fake claps are ok. This is harmless enough. Not bad.

Vocals are buried. The mix is very interesting, with the contrast between the somber sparse piano track and the techno synthy stuff. Sometimes it works for me and other times it sounds a bit disjointed. I like the singing, wish that the levels were better set to bring up the vocals.

Draft
Ugh, more hard, flanged panning. It's like you ran the whole stereo mixed track through one big giant flange. Vocals sound pretty good, mixed a bit low to the point of being pretty indiscernable, but the singing sounds good. Needs to be less effected. The whole mix seems busy. Hard to get a real feel for the tune as I get distracted by all the effects going on. It's like the effects were tossed in to make up for a lack of substance.

Eddie Bangs
Great production. I kind of picture many mullets bobbing in unison to this. Fine drumming on this too. Lots of good dynamics to keep things interesting. Excellent work. I love all those little glockenspiel hits. Best so far.

Hentai Kitty Death
Props on the Sergio Leone intro. I like the Stan Ridgeway treatment with the vocals. The mix seems pretty spotty. Cool idea that has it's moments. I wish that late electric guitar wailing in the background was much louder. Same with the scream. I like the harpsichord outro.

Jeremy Martin
Mediocre production aside (is this in mono? or 68kbps?), I really enjoyed this. This is begging for a much better production. You sing really nicely, and the harmonies are pretty good too. Nice job. Runs a bit long. Shave at least a minute off this, the repetitive arrangement drags for 4 plus minutes.

Squirrel Damage
Catchy and fun in a weezer sort of way. Good production that sounds lo-fi but isn't. Good singing, well played, and great lyrics. This has some nice pop hooks in it too. Nice job.

TV's Kyle
Kind of sounds like bad casio crapcore. Sounds like that octothorpe band. Not that they are bad casio crapcore. They are like good, entertaining casio crapcore. Acually, it sounds like a bad impression of them.

Wreckdom
Thanks for sharing this with us. I'll bet you had fun.

So I think I liked Eddie Bangs the best. Followed by Squirrel Damage. I liked the Jeremy Martin song too but it was too long. Thanks for reading.