And Don King is nowhere in sight (Chaos vs. Order reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

The Anonymous Reviewer wrote:
Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
I like the singing, wish that the levels were better set to bring up the vocals.
Since posting I've got some advice on just how to do that, so I'll try to post a new version later in the week.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Reviews

Post by tonetripper »

Eddiebangs - Yes the Alice in Chains cross over with Faith No More is alive and well in this tune. Production is great as are the vocal performances. A little too close to home though Eddie in your tribute to who I would think are inspirations to you. Cool solo at 1:28. Glockenspiel is cute but out of character in my mind to the heaviness of the tune. Great drumming. I just felt that the straight ahead rock is not what I wanted for Chaos vs Order. But, the song is well executed for the genre it was searching for and that may just get my vote for that, cuz it ain't easy to do what you've done.

HKD - Industrial lo-fi. I think you should have went heavier edge with the vocals in the vein of Skinny Puppy or earlier Cabaret Voltaire to make me buy this. The inverted cymbal, although kind of hot, is a cool intro to the washing industrial Metal in the section after it. The harpsichord aspect doesn't work for me in the gothic anthemic way it's represented in the fall-out of the song. It sounds too good in comparison to the poor production preceding it.

Jeremy Martin - Mandolin or is that a Uke? Good transitions and the vocals are pretty sweet sounding. Reminds me of Andrew Cash on some level. My major beef with this tune is that I don't really feel the title in this style of music although there are sweet elements. A little long and kinda sugar-coated for a battle don't you think? :P

Squirrel Damage - This reminds me of the Northern Pikes for some reason. Which isn't a bad thing per se, but once again doesn't seem to strike me as the proper execution for a crazy title. Straight ahead power-punk-pop-rock seems forced for this specific title. You could have had any title for that music/vocal melody. No vote.

TV's Kyle - I love the cartoon aspect of what this song represents to the title. Tamborine could have been better executed in the Order section. The personality shifts a little in the Chaos and for that loses points in the execution of the tune. Still, possible vote.

Wreckdom - This is where I think if there was a noise choice award for this title, which I think it deserves, this would win. Laughing hard at the metal transferrance of the He's got a Wreckdom. Very funny. I'm sure if we were to anthropomorphize Chaos and Order they would both have a wreckdom - go figure :twisted: . Digital distortion sucks, but you know that. Theremin rules!!! Nutbars.

Caravan Ray - Production is the best I've heard from Caravan Ray yet for SF. If you've noticed my avatar you'd probably deduce that I'm very much into fractals and the Chaos Theory. I love the cross-over vocal section around 1:50 or so. Very fractal like and for that might just get my vote. Good job. Best song so far.

Down with Gender - If there was a reward for best instrumental it might win except for the Pachelbel's "Canon" rip-off prior to the bashing end. Although nice transition considering the writer in you vying to beat the block moving into the frustrated chord. Buzzer. Pull out the long Cane. Reminds me, strangely enough, of the "The Big Snit" cartoon. But wait........ kinda cool for some reason....... naaahhhh........ maybe........ is it destructive..... or is it orderly....... naaaaaaaaaa....... no vote and that's fo sho!!!!

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints - Best production so far. I hear the J$ signature vocal sound in this one. I like how the voice is a little buried in the mid-range reverb space. The transition with the wacky static charge rhythms with the spacey feedbacky keys thing going on is way cool. Interesting in a strangely organic techno kind of way. Poetic and unnerving at the same time. Cool. Possible vote.

Draft - Well this tune came together mostly cuz The C-Monster and I wanted to do something in an altered time signature. So 7/4 it was and the song came about from there. The thing I was most pleased about was the way that my one-take, stream of consciousness vocal came out over the rest of the music. We were thinking like a rap thing and that was kind of silly and then I just went for it. I love happy accidents. For that matter the guitars and percussion were all happy accidents. The reviews have been spot on. I'd like to re-mix it and add a whole other section possibly an amalgamation of various signatures and meters to better represent the Chaos element, although I felt with the variety of acoustic instruments represented it came across pretty good on it's own. Could have been longer and better mixed. Hats off to The C-Monster for the great parts. I love the delayed percussive frog. Trippy sound.

My top 5 in no specific order are:
Dollar Bill and Inkpoints, Eddie Bangs, Caravan Ray, TV's Kyle, Wreckdom

I'll be voting later. Need time to decide. Thanks for the reviews.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Reviews

Post by Bolio »

Caravan Ray – Whoa, major stereo explosion. Lotsa cool stuff going on in this one, great choice of sounds & rhythms. Wacky stereo synth break. Love the way it fills up with sound during the vocal round. Not a fan of ‘Ba-da-ba-da’ accounting for most of the chorus lyrics. Very fun song.

Dollar Bill & The Inkpoints – Funny, first two notes & I’m thinking ‘Dream On’ (Aerosmith.) A lot of cool things going on in this one. Beginning was really good & wish the rest of the song sounded like that, but whatever that buzzing noise is it’s really bothering me. I really like the middle section with the 2 vocal lines – really cool!! End builds up very nicely too, I love the vocal variety. Overall, a very fun ride. Another J$ keeper.

Down With Gender – Simple yet effective. Beautifully played & definitely ties to the subject. It’s good to hear piano out of DWG. Expand on this style & you’re on the right track.

Draft – Bass, guitar & drums set up a great groove that goes a long way. Vocals on this are putting me to sleep.

Eddiebangs – Guitar master, that’s one awesome solo (& intro.) This falls into the same category as the ‘Draft’ one, just not my type of music. But I can appreciate the work that went into this one a lot, great sound & mix & the guitar alone is worth the full price of admission.

Hentai Kitty Death - Love the guitar sound. Reverse cymbals you throw in would sound really cool if they wer mixed in better, sticks out badly as they are. Some good ideas here, the chorus sounds cool but it is mixed badly & I’m not a fan of the vocals. Good outro though.

Jeremy Martin – Vox drowned in mix. Right away I’m thinking another damn ‘D/C/A’ progression, but then you vary it in places & that’s really cool. Good melody & harmonies. I love how effective this is as simple as it is, but would love to hear a couple more layers on it, soft piano or keyboard.. or even horns. Good job.

Squirrel Damage – More great guitar. You always throw something in your songs that makes me really like them & in this one it’s the short guitar breaks in the chorus. Thanks for bringing back the moog, if only for a cameo. Great guitar solo!! Good Melody & Harmony performance. Yet another keeper guys, keep ‘em coming!

TV’s Kyle – Very entertaining. Funny order & chaos voices, clever lyrics. Love the intro with that airy organ. Chorus hook is good, still got the tune going through my head later.

WreckdoM – Entertaining!!! This is funny… & good for one listen.

1-Eddiebangs
2-Squirrel Damage
3-Jeremy Martin
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Post by DOWNWITHGENDER2 »

the Jazz wrote:
Down With Gender
This is, hands down, the best DWG I've ever heard. Do you save your good stuff for songfight? Although you're not really playing anything in C Phrygian. It's all strictly Ab major, there's more to modal music than a key signature. This would fit the fight better if you had put more thought into the Pachelbel's part (interesting factoid, Pachelbel's Canon in D is actually not a canon at all! da na naaaa!), and continued with it. Reminds me of the end of A Clockwork Orange (the movie) with that #4 pedal tone under the ninth symphony. Me likes.
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I didn't use any scales, just piano... I was gonna transform the pachelbel part and play it with most keys in the same key, then transition to them being in D, but I found it taking too much time learning that so...(INTERESTING QUESTION: is it cause the violins don't actually mimic each other perfectly? I haven't been able to find the original sheet music that he made for organs...)
Blue says that if I were younger he would sodomize me.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Caravan Ray : What I Liked: the flow is good. Nice round idea. Guitar and other sounds are mixed well. The vocals are really on tune and fit nicely.
What I Didn’t Like: The hard panning is horrible through head phones. I have no idea what you are singing about, and I don’t care. The overloaded round is like an overflow of sound without a cool build.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints: What I Liked: Vocals are well sung and the multiple voice bits are nice.
What I Didn’t Like: The vocals are too far down in the mix. There is a very irritating click sound through the whole song. The instruments are jumbled and non descript. The whole thing seems noisy, except that damn click.

Down With Gender : What I Liked: The opening cycle.
What I Didn’t Like: Sounds like bored ramblings that go no where.

Draft: What I Liked: The real drums rock. The generic 90’s rocker voice.
What I Didn’t Like: The drums are the only part of the music I like.

Eddiebangs: What I Liked: Everything. This rocks and I was happy to see your name pop up on my player. Nice Eddie V. bit. The echo are great, mix is great, song is great for that kinda standard style.
What I Didn’t Like: All the song before this one.

Hentai Kitty Death: What I Liked: The mood after Eddiebangs hit. The idea is good. Vocals are cool.
What I Didn’t Like: Mix is not good at all. It sounds way too hot.

Jeremy Martin: What I Liked: This is nice. The sound is nice. The vocals are nice. The chord progression is nice.
What I Didn’t Like: I hate nice.

Squirrel Damage: What I Liked: Back to rocking! I find the lyrics flowing and entertaining. The overall feel is great. Very very very very very good song.
What I Didn’t Like: Some of the harmonies were bad. That buzzing noise when you sing the chorus? The mix is … well … not mixed very well.

TV's Kyle: What I Liked: Not my thing.
What I Didn’t Like: ummm, not getting this one. Lame use of a very cool topic.

WreckdoM: What I Liked: ”President Bush Rocks” The pontificating voice sounds a little like a fractured Fairytale voiceover. Now it sounds like a Japanese cartoon. Cool ending, is that an actual voice mail message.
What I Didn’t Like: The clipping on the yelling vocals.

Eddiebangs gets my vote, then Squirrel Damage and a third place finish for WreckdoM. Cause you never pulled a rabbit out of your hat.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Balham reviews

Post by Andy Balham »

Here are the votes from the Balham jury, written as I listen to them on Sennheiser RS45s...

Caravan Ray
Nice blend of guitar and synth drums. Losing me a bit in the next 30 seconds and we're back to where we were. Would've liked the little melody to be more to the front. Not really feeling a Chaos vs order thing.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
Ah more synths, I have fond memories of the eighties. The voice is working well with the backing music. Has a bit a of a Mode feel going on. The change at 2:00 seemed a bit abrupt but then built up nicely back into the chorus. An enjoyable listen.

Down With Gender
Reminds me of Les Dawson without the humour.

Draft
The general sound is quite intereseting, though a bit too muddied. I like the sound of your voice and I would have preferred to have a bit clearer in the mix. Overall, a lot of promise.

Eddiebangs
Nice heavy riffing and general lead work. The vocals fit the genre perfectly. The chorus doesn't quite do it for me though. Good rhyme of 'morality' with 'salary'.

Hentai Kitty Death
Starts off like a Tarantino soundtrack and turns into early Sisters of Mercy. I like the general feel, though the overall sound gets cluttered with too many things going on and some transitions feel a little artificial. Why is Choas vs. order evoking the 80s for me?

Jeremy Martin
Uh oh, 4:40 and I've never heard anything by you before. Not too keen on the strumming, but your voice is good. The chord progression makes it sound very familiar. 2:30 in and I need a change. Ah-ha! Here it is. Not bad, now I want it brought together, but I'm left without closure. Well sung and put together, but the strumming and length go against it.

Squirrel Damage
Good opening line and general rock vibe. Good working of the words chaos and order. I like clarity of the songwriting. Where's the breakdown... 2:30 again! Instrumental... good axework. Nice return to Stephen Hawking. Possible vote.

TV's Kyle
Is some human beatboxing going on here? Kind of cute. The idea of a second voice is good, I'm surprised no one else has done it. Well, there is still Wreckdom to go...

WreckdoM
I get the chaos part, not so sure about the order part though

Top 3

3. Jeremy Martin
2. Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
1. Squirrel Damage
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

[quote="Fried"] WreckdoM: What I Liked: ”President Bush Rocks” The pontificating voice sounds a little like a fractured Fairytale voiceover. Now it sounds like a Japanese cartoon. Cool ending, is that an actual voice mail message.

Thanks for the positive encouragement. The President Bush comment came out of me when I was black out drunk. Good stuff. That is an actual voicemail message. I couldn't help but use it. This should show you that Richard Wreckdom might actually be a jerk. It might not just be an act. Might.
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Fried wrote: Down With Gender : What I Liked: The opening cycle.
just FYI, may want to work on word choice next time... "ramblings" both isn't a word and doesn't really apply...
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I didn't use any scales, just piano... I was gonna transform the pachelbel part and play it with most keys in the same key, then transition to them being in D, but I found it taking too much time learning that so...(INTERESTING QUESTION: is it cause the violins don't actually mimic each other perfectly? I haven't been able to find the original sheet music that he made for organs...)
I don't know what you mean about scales. You said somewhere in this thread... ah, here it is...
The order was the beginning, everything was in C Phrygian.
What I meant was that actually everything was in Ab Ionian (major).

A canon is basically a round, the second voice plays exactly what the first voice plays but comes in a bit later. The second voice can also be played at a different interval so they're not the exact same notes, but the rhythm and the intervallic movement is the same. Pachelbel's piece does have a few areas of canonic treatment, where the second voice is imitating the first, but really it's a whaddaya callit... variations on a theme, motivic ornamentation and development, something like that. Because the whole thing doesn't have canonic treatment. I think that's it.

EDIT: Many nursery rhymes are canons, or can be sung as canons. Row row row your boat and three blind mice, to name two.
Last edited by the Jazz on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

the Jazz wrote:
DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I didn't use any scales, just piano... I was gonna transform the pachelbel part and play it with most keys in the same key, then transition to them being in D, but I found it taking too much time learning that so...(INTERESTING QUESTION: is it cause the violins don't actually mimic each other perfectly? I haven't been able to find the original sheet music that he made for organs...)
I don't know what you mean about scales. You said somewhere in this thread... ah, here it is...
The order was the beginning, everything was in C Phrygian.
What I meant was that actually everything was in Ab Ionian (major).

A canon is basically a round, the second voice plays exactly what the first voice plays but comes in a bit later. The second voice can also be played at a different interval so they're not the exact same notes, but the rhythm and the intervallic movement is the same. Pachelbel's piece does have a few areas of canonic treatment, where the second voice is imitating the first, but really it's a whaddaya callit... variations on a theme, motivic ornamentation and development, something like that. Because the whole thing doesn't have canonic treatment. I think that's it.
Hey, I think part of my song this week was a canon! Wow.
Caravan Ray's Canon , or better still,
Caravan Ray's Cannon - that sounds cool - and tough.
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

I see... I just looked it up in the dictionary, your explanation is better.

I have essentially no knowledge of any theory so I have no idea what the difference between in being in C Phrygian and Ab Major is...
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:I see... I just looked it up in the dictionary, your explanation is better.

I have essentially no knowledge of any theory so I have no idea what the difference between in being in C Phrygian and Ab Major is...
Awwwwww shit man, someone feeding the trolls again?!!! I thought on the new boards they would fly away into the nether regions of the net. Sorry you went to the trouble The Jazz. I read and it all made sense. Thanks for the information. DaWGs are such wankers. :twisted:
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:
just FYI, may want to work on word choice next time... "ramblings" both isn't a word and doesn't really apply...
just FYI, your phrase 'ramblings both isn't a word and doesn't really apply...' is grammatically incorrect. It should read 'ramblings' is neither a word, nor applicable in this situation'. The comma is not mandatory, but tidies up the sentence.

Also, the first half of the phrase negates the second half and therefore makes it unneccessary. If, as you correctly point out, 'ramblings' is not really a word (although it is a perfectly acceptable mutation to me) then of course it couldn't apply to anything. You could have got round that by putting a 'therefore' after the 'and'.

When playing the 'smarter than you' card, it is wise to check your hand thoroughly in advance, lest smug people like me look for ways to trump you.

Just FYI.

J$
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:
I guess my word choice (which is exacly what I meant to say with an extra s) is what you don't like. Did I get the words right? hehehehee! wait "hehehe" is not a word, now I am rambling, is it "rambling" that is not a word or is "ramblings" that is not a word? I am so confused. Ahhh.. so if I mistype an "s" at the end of a word, it means the choice of words are wrong? wait, where was I? Oh never mind, your song sucked, I was trying to be nice, oh well.
P.S. and what ever $J said. If you think my typing is bad, you should hear me speak!
Last edited by Fried on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Fried

Post by Bolio »

Good to see you back, Fried! And I see you've met DWG...
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: Fried

Post by Fried »

Bolio wrote:Good to see you back, Fried! And I see you've met DWG...
New look, same fried asshole!
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

j$ wrote:
DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:
just FYI, your phrase 'ramblings both isn't a word and doesn't really apply...' is grammatically incorrect. It should read 'ramblings' is neither a word, nor applicable in this situation'. The comma is not mandatory, but tidies up the sentence.

Also, the first half of the phrase negates the second half and therefore makes it unneccessary. If, as you correctly point out, 'ramblings' is not really a word (although it is a perfectly acceptable mutation to me) then of course it couldn't apply to anything. You could have got round that by putting a 'therefore' after the 'and'.

When playing the 'smarter than you' card, it is wise to check your hand thoroughly in advance, lest smug people like me look for ways to trump you.

Just FYI.

J$
I find people like it best when, while correcting them, you make essentially the same error, or one far worse.:)
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

tonetripper wrote:
DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:I see... I just looked it up in the dictionary, your explanation is better.

Awwwwww shit man, someone feeding the trolls again?!!! I thought on the new boards they would fly away into the nether regions of the net. Sorry you went to the trouble The Jazz. I read and it all made sense. Thanks for the information. DaWGs are such wankers. :twisted:
yeah, such faggots... posting shit that I don't personally like... I'm gonna flame their every post and call them faggots, hehehe, god im cool and smaert!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

DOWNWITHGENDER2 wrote:I'm gonna flame their every post and call them faggots, hehehe, god im cool and smaert!
yet again, i sincerely advise against it.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Hey I'm glad my first post on the new boards is reviews. Cool.

Caravan Ray
What I liked: That rich thick synth sound that comes in every once and awhile. The tripling of the vocals at the end.
What I didn’t like: The bap-ba lyrics seem generic to me, and the song as a whole is not moving me, feels plain.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints
What I liked: The songs weird techy feel and how at times it’s kinda creepy and at others it’s almost commercial. Voice is a perfect match for this style music. Great lyrics, as usual from Mr. Cashpoint. I love the doubled vocals and “Dinner dinner dinner” fade out, also all the weird noises that pop in here and there, helps maintain a consistent unsettling feel.

Down with Gender
Stop being such mean spirited pricks and I’ll start reviewing your work.

Draft
What I liked: The slick dreamy nature of the song. All the odd noise nuances underneath the guitar. The guitar itself is real nice, especially those backwards touches at the end.
What I didn’t like: Your voice almost does this Eddie Vedder thing at several points, makes me cringe.

Eddie Bangs
What I liked: So much of this song reminds me of early Faith no More, so of course I’m digging it. Lyrically, too, good job. Nice guitar solo! All the changes flow really well, if you bang your head to this you can keep banging the whole way through, instead of having to stop at awkward moments.
What I didn’t like: When your voice isn’t channeling Patton, it sounds more like early nineties pop grunge, ala Stone Temple Bush Live.

Hentai Kitty Death
What I liked: Best opening of the fight, love that guitar tone. I’ll never complain about a Goth rock entry, in fact, I’m thinking you got my vote. Why? The thrashing guitar underneath everything, the Bauhaus like vocals and matching lyrics. High pitch keyboard touches, backwards cymbal leading to a second of silence. It’s familiar, everything makes sense, and it’s fun to listen to. Glad to hear the singer scream finally and then the western guitar tone reprise. Oh yes, that was bad ass.

Jeremy Martin
What I liked: Way to harmonize!
What I didn’t like: Aw man, over four and a half minutes of monotone nasaly singing, unchanging guitar and a drum machine. You must have better stuff than this tinkering around in your head.

Squirrel Damage
What I liked: Use of scientists names in your lyrics. Of coarse I like the “wreeow” synth sounds, and the quick guitar fills are a nice touch. I like that you rhyme with “Order” and “Chaos”. Sweet bass.
What I didn’t like: Everything about this song starts feeling stale pretty quickly, and yet it endures. What’s up with the uninspired guitar solo? The fills were so nice.

TV’s Kyle
What I liked: It’s not fair that this gets compared with TMBG so much, it’s original and deserves more than just a dismissive “sounds like blah blah blah to me…” Anyway, I dig the air organ sound and that weird bongo like sound in the background. I like the dueling vocals and the chaos lyrics, they’re a lot of fun. I like to break stuff, too. Nice ending snippet.
What I didn’t like: Chaos voice is much cooler, the order voice can be distracting as it goes flat at times.

WreckdoM
What I liked: Listen, you really CAN'T stop my WreckdoM! Don’t even try!
What I didn’t like: Could’ve done more with that Flash Gordon stuff, damn one week deadline.

Yeah, still voting for the Kitty Death. Good job guys.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle

Post by TVsKyle »

TV’s Kyle
What I liked: It’s not fair that this gets compared with TMBG so much, it’s original and deserves more than just a dismissive “sounds like blah blah blah to me…” Anyway, I dig the air organ sound and that weird bongo like sound in the background. I like the dueling vocals and the chaos lyrics, they’re a lot of fun. I like to break stuff, too. Nice ending snippet.
What I didn’t like: Chaos voice is much cooler, the order voice can be distracting as it goes flat at times.
Thanks!
Those actually are bongos. I was playing with effects on it and got that bizarre repetative echo thing and decided I liked it. I agree with you on the vocals. I think I'm more comfortable doing a character voice than using my own.
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
Dave - so dark...
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dave - so dark... »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Hey I'm glad my first post on the new boards is reviews. Cool.

Hentai Kitty Death
What I liked: Best opening of the fight, love that guitar tone. I’ll never complain about a Goth rock entry, in fact, I’m thinking you got my vote. Why? The thrashing guitar underneath everything, the Bauhaus like vocals and matching lyrics. High pitch keyboard touches, backwards cymbal leading to a second of silence. It’s familiar, everything makes sense, and it’s fun to listen to. Glad to hear the singer scream finally and then the western guitar tone reprise. Oh yes, that was bad ass.

Yeah, still voting for the Kitty Death. Good job guys.
Thanks! not used to firm praise, except for the baffling praise we got from sober irishman for our stand in the circle entry. so erm.. thanks! :P

Two singers by the way. though you can usually only hear one of us or hte other in most parts. damn our crappy vocal mixing skillzors.

Welcome to the boards by the way. I find being here is half the fun of songfight. :)
I am a failure as a dave and as a human being!!