Et ils pissent comme je pleure (Amsterdam Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
HeadShot
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Keyboard, Sequencer
Recording Method: FL Studio 5, Audacity, Samson Go Mic (Cardioid pattern -10 dB)
Submitting as: RE:FLEKT

Re: Et ils pissent comme je pleure (Amsterdam Reviews)

Post by HeadShot »

2dogs wrote:MC ; As far as this style goes its borderline for me but your kick ass original story got me hooked. Vote
Thanks! I was a little iffy on the flow of the lyrics myself, usually they sound a lot better, but I decided what the hell, it's my first fight.
I've got a better idea. You go in there and talk to him. I'm going home. http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/REFLEKT ... 011?ref=nf
2dogs
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: vocals, sax, guitar, keys, harmonica
Recording Method: Logic Pro 8, iMac, motu 828, Art Pro VL2, Studio Project C3
Submitting as: 2dogs, The Incredible Unknown

Post by 2dogs »

HeadShot wrote:
2dogs wrote:MC ; As far as this style goes its borderline for me but your kick ass original story got me hooked. Vote
Thanks! I was a little iffy on the flow of the lyrics myself, usually they sound a lot better, but I decided what the hell, it's my first fight.
And you did good brother :) Keep on fighting ;)
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Appel Zeven: What is the story with your voice? Did you time stretch it and not adjust for pitch or something? Or is it just some crazy baritone? Not my speed. I don't like how the drums sound, though the perc about a minute in is neat. Yeah, vox bug me, though the guitar tone's fine.

Authors Of: Charmingly lo-fi. Violin's a tricky one though. I saw Camper Van Beethoven live once opening for Built to Spill and they could kind of rock it. Jens Lekman can rock it. Can it carry a song like this... oh, I dunno. It's a charming song. Good effort.

Balance Lost: I like when it gets fast. If it hadn't done that it would've been overly plodding. Sort of Sebadoh-ish or GBV-ish, kind of. The lyrics don't really fit the meter which bugs me but it's good enough.

Berkeley Social Scene: It's nice. Solid. Good drums.

Deetak: Someone likes Xiu Xiu or Antony and the Johnsons? Or? I dunno, not my bag. It's fine.

Flvxxvm Forvm: Boring. At least it's over quickly.

Ice Weasels: Vox are pretty buried, aren't they? I don't like it especially.

IRC BFF: This is all right. I like the nutty Middle Eastern part.

Jon Eric & Friends: Ah, I like this. It's good that the vocals aren't reserved. I know some people are self-conscious about singing, or can't sing loudly for whatever reason, but singing like this is what must be done, and it's done well. I'll vote for this guy. I'm glad I'm not so removed from SF that I can recognize Glenn.

Kokiri Warriors: Zelda reference? Why have you taken the song title so literally. Why why why. Just because the song title is Amsterdam doesn't mean you have to write a song about the city in the Netherlands.

Lordz of the Fly: I like it before the vocoder and vocals. I don't really ever get back to liking it.

HeadShot: Mediocre.

Old Man Grumpus: If your mic pops, rerecord your vocals and/or get a pop filter/windscreen/better mic. It's fine, if simple. Nice attention paid to melody though the piano line isn't super interesting.

Paco del Stinko: Guitar tone kind of reminds me of Zep at first. I like how exciting the song is. I'm also a sucker for rock organ. Way to go, dude.

Pathetic Wannabes: And the first band whose members I've met in person! Ah, I love the Pathetic Wannabes. Or bees.

Rabid Mullet: Vox remind me of Jello Biafra. The rest of the arrangement also reminds me of his old band, except this is a little slow. Make it faster and I'd dig it more, but as it is I dig it.

Rone Rivendale: Take those vocals down. And also fix them. And also... the rest of the song. I don't know, what were you trying to get with this one?

Ross Durand: This is sweet.

Roymond: I like this one too.

Steve Durand: I will refrain from reviewing this one, due to length.

the unhip battleship: It sounds good, production-wise. Maybe a touch long, but it's all right. I like some of the ideas.

weakest suit: fine. I guess.

I also listened to Elvis Costello's "New Amsterdam," Guster's "Amsterdam," John Cale's "Amsterdam," and Peter Bjorn and John's "Amsterdam."

Elvis Costello and the Attractions: Pretty cool. Nice vocals, solid production. Yeah, this is good.

Guster: Super catchy. This should win.

John Cale: Sad. But like... this is how you do guy and guitar and make it interesting, people: sing well and tune your god damn guitar and add some reverb to the vocals but not too much. Daaaaaaaaang, this is a good one.

Peter Bjorn and John: The whistle or whatever, what is that? I like the accent. Chorus with Peter Moren has a funny effect. Perc is cool too. I like the track okay.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

mkilly wrote:except this is a little slow. Make it faster and I'd dig it more
Yikes! It's already 200bpm! Or were you being sarcastic? :)
* this is not a disclaimer
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Drinkin wine, listening for the first time. Forgive me...

Old Man Grumpus - I don't know if this is over ambitious or what. It sounds like it's clever, but melodically it's nowhere. Harmonically it's interesting. Overall it's too long.

Flvxxvm Florvm - musically this is way cool in an early Zappa sort of way. You just didn't put much thought into the lyric, did ya? Whores and weed. Very original. Jeez, make something up for christ's sake.

the unhip battleship - I'm exhausting in a fun way from listening to this. Not sure I want to again, though. Lovely arpeggios and pads. Head-banging Phillip Glass. The vocal compression doesn't help, I think clean and wispy would work well.

Balance Lost - curious. Awesome breakout. Love it. Unexpected.

Authors Of - you also could have made up something fun, a strange story to go with this awesome arrangement and the "do-to-do"s. But you didn't.

Ross Durand - lovely guitar intro. Not sure I feel the reason this breaks out real big, other than it felt good. Then it ends too soon.

Rabid Mullet - I couldn't keep up tonight.

Paco del Stinko - here you go! Thank you :) We need more polka.

Jon Eric + Friends - poppy and clever. Great performance and fresh production. Smiles.

roymond - I know I whine about how many people think it's all dope and whores. Then I sing about wine and red lights. OK, this is based on an unexpected rendezvous I had with my high school girlfriend in Amsterdam, 1979. She was restoring some church in France, knew I'd be in Amsterdam around the weekend and took the train up there, leaving a cryptic note at the post office (poste restante) to wait for her. We picnicked on wine and cheese, then visited the Van Gogh museum. The next day when I went to the same museum with my family I didn't remember anything I had seen the day before. It was one of those awesome moments.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I did these reviews at different times of the day, over the week: half awake, fully awake, grumpy, dumpy, always a bit frumpy, etc. Feel free to ask for clarification.

Appel Zeven - The cake remains the same throughout, it's the different layers of frosting that keep this fresh. Could still be whittled down some, but I like this until it feels a bit long by the end. The solos are fun but would pack a bigger punch if right to the point. Decent for a "new" (ahem) guy.

Authors Of - Sad and chipper at the same time. Hooray! I'm gonna slash my wrists! Too silly, or it might have been more successful. I like the moody strings and sloppy chord progression, just don't fit well under the vocal performance. Silly is good, as is serious, and one or the other would have been fine here as the hybrid isn't working well.

Balance Lost - Great intro build-up and neato guitar tone, almost banjo-ish somehow. My Pete, shred those vocal chords whydoncha! I think the chorus is catchy, if not infectious. Sure is driving. It's one of those ones that could be sung by a mob of kids, all in their school uniforms with matching beanies. I enjoy the rockout and dropout time of it as well.

Berkeley Social Scene - Good mood here, but feels off at times. The e-bow is right from the moors of Big Country. An album cut, that is, not the famous single. I like the chorus and especially how it leads into it, but the verses feel a bit wandery to me, trying to find a progression they can stick to. Far from unpleasant, it doesn't rank with your best.

deetak - I dunno, if you were busking on a platform I would probably stop and listen, but I wouldn't stand right in front of you. I'd feel funny standing right in front of you, though. I like this. It rides on clouds as many of yours do, but is comparatively straight forward as well. I think the sparse accompaniment is fitting here, and it needs no more than the melody and accents.

Flvxxvm Florvm - This song feels more epic than its time would suggest. I like the nautical keyboards but nothing tops your psycho-fuzz blast. Just scrumpdillytastlicious. The lyrics are toss-off, but fit. What's the problem with the bass? Sounds nice and woody to me, with a bit of gong-gong. Great little jam and the backing vocals work very well, a small surprise that fit right in.

Ice Weasels
- I'd love to have written the bass line for this, which seems to be lacking. I like the charge of the song and the chorus and verse melodies are both engaging and strong. Not a fan of the live crowd stuff, but it fits in where something should be. Care to share who this is about? I'm not smart/hip enough to figure out myself. While your voice is fine, I'd love to hear this sung by a great pop vocalist.

IRC BFF - Dark and mysterious, at an accelerated pace. The percussion gets a bit noisy at times and the song's ending kind of falls off a cliff, but it's an interesting and almost disturbing ride. Love the instrumentation and while not stunned at how you guys made it, I am very impressed with how it came out. Digging some of the riffs. Neat song all in all, but it almost scares me a bit while it plays.

Jon Eric & Friends - Charming and a bit goofy, all sunny and happy during war time. This is hard to resist whether you were singing about the plague or eating cotton candy. Love the big vocal leap after the rap part, scared you might not make the notes but you do. The melodies are sweet without being sugary and the arrangement is strong, although it feels like a verse or something is missing after the vocal leap. Is the guitar in tune? Regardless, a strong and fun tune.

Kokiri Warriors - This would be better at 1/3 the length. OK. 1/4. No, wait. 10 seconds. Yes. Perfect! Some neato sounds, but the ramble tires quickly.

Lordz of the Fly
- Quoonsarooni. The guitar leads are often harsh in that Pusher way, but I love loop. Well, mostly. It gets a bit much. Bass lines are good if a little stiff. I like the different voices as well, one made me think it was a pal o'mine entering secretly, but no way. The lyrics flow pretty well and fit the song well. Enjoyable a couple of times through, the guitar loop eventually wears me out.

The MC HeadShot - The delivery is stiff, but I like your voice's timbre, mostly. Bas loop is pretty good, if simple. I'd like to hear that done on a real bass with an occasional run here and there. A little high end schniddle-diddle here and there would add some flavor other than the bike bell. This is a good foundation for improvement later or as a reference point for another tune.

Old Man Grumpus - Sounds like a cross between a demo and a feed from a mixing board at a live show. Regardless, a decent tune, if undercooked. The verse melodies must've sounded better in your head although I understand the time restraints, etc. I like the direction the song heads in, arrangement-wise, and the bridge is quite pleasant. The history lesson aspect leaves me a bit flat, but better than the typical weed and whores bit.

Paco del Stinko - I was never a fan of the Dick Van Lesbian show, although MTM was a cutie, but had to do the Morey angle. I knew the baritone guitar would hook Rabid, though!

Pathetic Wannabees - Sounds like a surf band from Russia. Or how imagine I one to sound, anyway. I love the call and response, it's way classic. While the topic is common throughout this fight, it doesn't matter as the delivery just relays the goofy fun of this song. I like this more as the week goes on, primarily for the smile inducing casual attitude it presents. You guys are great.

Rabid Mullet - The brash punk attack and Biafra-esque vocals are a nice treat here. the guitar work is great, especially the main progression and eyeball gouging lead attack. The lyrics probably have no corrections on the written page, but serve the purpose here, direct and just above caveman. The ending is anti-climatic, but what else in its stead? Good rocker, be better at face melting live levels, no doubt.

Rone Rivendale - I like the guitar tone, it is absolutely skanky. I don't know that I like much else about this tune, though. The vocals don't line up very well, rhythmically, and are hard to make out. Suggestion: spend an hour and a half playing videos, and ten hours on music, not the other way around. Yay!

Ross Durand - Very pretty, could almost be in a tv commercial. Hah! That's somehow meant as a compliment, you know, where you here a snippet of a song that sticks with you while watching trendy young people cuddle in their Golf. Anyway, nice romantic feel, and excellent arrangement. Don't be afraid to turn the tone knob on your guitar down, don't listen to those all knobs on ten folks! Too short, maybe, but I like being left wanting more. Very, very excellent.

roymond - I like the near loss of control here, and the head spinning swirls atop a great rock base. What a lead, nice and twisted. I understand this was a one hour jobby, but gotta say the ending comes too soon and makes the song feel incomplete. Saved by the aforementioned mania and lead. Nice to be able to just slap something this good together in an hour. Or at least it must be. Any Roymond art is always welcome with me, most certainly.

Steve Durand - Nice tribute to the DVD show, and the goofy gag guy. The lyrics sound recited form a list, and probably the same source as mine were. Could use some tightening up and a more easy-going vocal delivery, but sounds alive through the horns and light hearted approach.

the unhip battleship - This song makes me feel a little uncomfortable for reasons I'm not sure of. I thought that there would be more digi-Euro stuff int this fight, so I'm glad that this is here. Maybe it's the dark yet near throbbing feel of this that brings a cloud over my head. Still, it's certainly expertly crafted and produced, the melodies are strong and intelligent, sounding like some cross between Radiohead and Bach or something. Strong and impressive.

The Weakest Suit - Not sure of the tie-in lyrically to Amsterdam, but understand that the song doesn't need to be about Amsterdam, just inspired by the title. Whatevs, I like the electrified feel here, although that ending makes me suspect an edit of some sort. Chip-chop. Easy melody, and good playing. You and I are similar in that we could both probably benefit from slowing down the quantity for quality. Not trying to insult.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Paco: Surely you've heard of the Red Elvises? Who, true, didn't form until they emigrated/escaped to the ol' USA, but fit your "surf band from Russia" description pretty damned well. :lol:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Paco: Surely you've heard of the Red Elvises? Who, true, didn't form until they emigrated/escaped to the ol' USA, but fit your "surf band from Russia" description pretty damned well. :lol:
I guess Leningrad Cowboys Go America weren't really a Russian band. But they sorta fit!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:The Weakest Suit - Not sure of the tie-in lyrically to Amsterdam, but understand that the song doesn't need to be about Amsterdam, just inspired by the title. Whatevs, I like the electrified feel here, although that ending makes me suspect an edit of some sort. Chip-chop. Easy melody, and good playing. You and I are similar in that we could both probably benefit from slowing down the quantity for quality. Not trying to insult.
it was a preprogrammed drum sample in the Micro BR. there are a bunch of these to illustrate the different drum types. they have an intro measure, a verse measure, a fill, a different verse measure, a different fill, and an ending. they are all pretty short and i don't have to program anything. i also used these for "purple tongue" and "radio ready". although on those, i also used guitar from a Nintento DS guitar simulator. as far as slowing down, haven't you heard? it's 50/90 time!
MisterQuoons
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Armpit noises, loud yelps, mouse organ
Recording Method: kerosene-powered Edison phonograph
Submitting as: Elton John

Post by MisterQuoons »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Quoonsarooni. The guitar leads are often harsh in that Pusher way, but I love loop. Well, mostly. It gets a bit much. Bass lines are good if a little stiff. I like the different voices as well, one made me think it was a pal o'mine entering secretly, but no way. The lyrics flow pretty well and fit the song well. Enjoyable a couple of times through, the guitar loop eventually wears me out.
Thanks; I'm actually surprised by the number of people who didn't completely hate this song. To give fair credit where it's due, it's actually my brother, who goes by the name Fox Quoons or The Notorious F.A.P., who is doing the vocals, so the "Mr. Quoons" you're hearing is him (although that is not to say that I do not also make MCs look like buffoons). I mostly just played guitar and co-authored teh beatz0rz on this one.

F.Y.I. A few other parties were involved; if they want to identify themselves it's up to them. :wink:
Crunchy frog. Tiny green beads. Sapphire bullets of pure poop. Available only from MUFFIN.
When in Rome, be sure to visit http://www.therealmuffin.net
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Märk wrote:
mkilly wrote:except this is a little slow. Make it faster and I'd dig it more
Yikes! It's already 200bpm! Or were you being sarcastic? :)
No, not sarcastic. "Stealing People's Mail" by the Dead Kennedys, that's how fast I wish this song was.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Now that's stuck in my head... thanks Marcus! :twisted:
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Hey, congrats Paco on a well-deserved win!
* this is not a disclaimer
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Whoa! Unreal! I am absolutely stunned! Thanks to all who voted for me, and sorry to Ross, who wrote what I consider to be a much better tune. But again, I am psyched and proud to hold my (imaginary) trophy aloft. Long live Songfight!!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

Congratualtions, Paco!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is long overdue!
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Congrats Paco! You deserved it. I thought Ross' song was the best this fight but you were a close 2nd. :D

and wtf @ me being the only one getting 0 votes? This was NOT a bad song. I can name 10 songs off the top of my head that sucked way worse than this and got votes. lol
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Did I forget to vote?

I think I did. ...Crap.

Congratulations, Paco! You've had this victory coming for quite some time now! :D
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Congratulations Paco!

Sad me :-( so close....
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Go Paco!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Rone Rivendale wrote:I can name 10 songs off the top of my head that sucked way worse than this and got votes.
...and yet clearly it wasn't so good that you voted for it, yourself.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

GIANT CONGRATULATIONS TO PACO!!!!

WOOOOO!!!
-- reve mosquito.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

As someone who voted for Paco and did not vote for Ross, I would like to take all the credit for this.
"81 songs and 569 posts in 4 months. You don't mess around when it comes to messing around." - fluffy