There's some snew on your face! (Laugh Riot reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

Feldspar Too : What I Liked: If you played all these parts. It is excellent. Very fun, I love the layout and flow.
What I Didn’t Like: If you didn’t play all these parts. It sucked ass. That sound you started with get annoying towards the end. The ending was stupid.

Loyalty Day: What I Liked: The feel is nice, the spastic drums with the melodic vocals work for me. I always love laughing, but I am not sure it fits that well. The guitar riffs are very cool.
What I Didn’t Like: “just a child with a voice” is sung too thin compare to the other deeper vocals. The laughing break, I bet you could come up with something better.

Max the Cat : What I Liked: the “Lay Down Sally” feel is good. The instruments fit together well, the vocals are perfect for this. The horns and harmonica are excellent. Actually, everything here is good. Probably a vote.
What I Didn’t Like: Nothing.

MC Crap-a-lot : What I Liked: Your name fits your music.
What I Didn’t Like: Your music fits your name.

The Wilson Heights Gang: What I Liked: “Neil Young feel” Not bad coffee shop rock. Lyrics are good and the break is nice and the continuing of the background vocals are nice.
What I Didn’t Like: The mix is bad, but you probably already know that.

Max gets the vote, Loyalty is the runner up and The Wilson Heights Gang is not too close behind.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

it's pretty obvious (to me anyways) that the fake feldspar is in fact, down with gender pulling their dumb ass shit once again. the reference to "will's mom" in the outro, if anyone besides me actually made it that far, and the fact that it fit's their style, and the fact that one of said douchebags is actually named will (apparently, or so he says in his sig). it just adds up.
Hi!
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

After listening to it, I'd have to agree with you. I was suckered into thinking DWG could actually put out a real song without pulling shit for once. Have they now officially worn out their welcome? Can't the PTBs pull the plug?
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
spacedog
A New Player

wilson heights gang

Post by spacedog »

just had to give a shout out to wilson heights gang. this song really strongly reminds me of the bright eyes, but better. (the bright eyes guy is too self-consciously pretentious, imo.) something that's always bugged me about songfight is that people factor the production values so much into their voting, whereas i'm much more interested in whether or not the song itself is substantial. (this is not meant to start a flame war; it's just an observation.) i find that my friends can't enjoy songs that have low production, while i almost prefer them. so anyway, good job WHG. i really enjoyed this one.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Bolio wrote:After listening to it, I'd have to agree with you. I was suckered into thinking DWG could actually put out a real song without pulling shit for once. Have they now officially worn out their welcome? Can't the PTBs pull the plug?
i think the easiest and unfortunately only way to "pull their plug" so to speak is to just ignore their posts and their songs. i don't advocate censoring anyone. however, maybe this is why they've decided to hijack another songfighters name, because people were ignoring their name.

so they go and open this can of worms and endear themselves more to the community at large. terrific. /sarcasm

as for me, they've wasted my bandwidth for the last time.
Hi!
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Reviews

Post by Bolio »

Reviews -

First of all, great art again, is it time to give Tawni a dedicated fight every week?

Feldspar Too – Double Meh

Loyalty Day – That guitar tone is mighty tasty, as always. Absolutely love the melody on this one. Especially the chorus, ‘I’d make you disappear…. and enjoy.. the quiet’ Interesting middle section. Vocalist seems to be getting more confident & stronger with each song. She is right on with this one. Love the way the song breaks every so often & the crunch of the guitar keeping it going. Man I love the chorus. Keeper & easy vote.

Max The Cat – Awesome picking….after awhile I need something more.. Melody not doing much for me. Chorus uninteresting... Cool harmonica, turn it up a little. This middle section is neat. Making the rest of the song more like this would have made it more interesting to me. (much later note: That damn chorus is still going through my head. Gotta give you credit for a nice hook.)

MC Crap a Lot – Then I’d suggest lowering your fiber.

Wilson Heights Gang – Accoustic guitar & airy organ sound nice together. Nice, simple melody really works for me. Nice little outro. Cool song.

It's Loyalty Day in a 'Laugher'
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
downwithgender
A New Player

Post by downwithgender »

I havent posted any songs for 2 weeks, and i dont think Will made that song either. i could be wrong however.
sam of down with gender
http://www.downwithgender.com
DOWNWITHGENDER2
A New Player

Post by DOWNWITHGENDER2 »

DOWNWITHGENDER wrote:I havent posted any songs for 2 weeks, and i dont think Will made that song either. i could be wrong however.
I don't have that kind of time thank you... i was too busy with my piano song.
Blue says that if I were younger he would sodomize me.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

probably someone just acting like them... to make more people dislike 'em... bad stuff...

i have no hard feelings... i love everyone... however seein' a feldspar stalker isn't the coolest O_o
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

LAUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH RIOT:
* indicates a keeper

Feldspar Too: Is this DWG with some sort of bad joke submitting as Feldspar? It sounds like DWG. Not very good DWG either, pretty boring. 2 stars.

Loyalty Day: Wellllll you're certainly bringing the rock this week. I like the chorus the 'waaaahhhh' sounds are cool. And a really wicked bridge, pretty creepy. But other then that it's kind of dull. Got some nice moments, but nothing particularly special. 3 and 1/10 stars.

Max the Cat*: Kind of subdued and pretty cleverly written. I like the bass and tuba or whatever. Pretty nice job, 3 and 3/4 stars.

MC Crap-a-lot: What the fuck is this? Horrible rapping and lyrics and "beat" if you could call it that. 1 and 1/10 stars.

The Wilson Heights Gang*: Great harmonica. I wish you had more harmonica instead of that weird sax or synth or whatever. Great ba ba ba's. Really nice and you sound pretty sincere. 3 and 2/3 stars.

Top 3:
3. Loyalty Day
2. The Wilson Heights Gang*
1. Max the Cat*

Sorry about the shitty reviews.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: wilson heights gang

Post by Gazelles »

spacedog wrote: (the bright eyes guy is too self-consciously pretentious, imo.)
HIS NAME IS CONOR OBERST. Sheesh.

I'm kidding, I know this mostly only because my girlfriend is obsessed with him and Bright Eyes, and Saddle Creek music in general.
Richard WreckdoM
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Richard WreckdoM »

Feldspar -
Appealling to me with weird music is easy. I'm easy. I'm not hearing any laughing, nor does this sound funny though. I don't know what to say. I don't hate it.

Loyalty day -
This is pretty good, but I'm a sucker for female vocalists. This is well sung. Sort of reminds me of They eat their own.

Max the Cat -
This was ok, but seems uninspired to me. Doesn't really do anything for me.

MC Crap-a-lot -
Sort of reminds me of some early Ween. Not terrible, but not great by any means.

The Wilson Heights Gang -
Woohoo! Austin. So this is a roadtrip song? The horns get painfully loud compared to the rest of the mix.

That's it, what a short fight. I'm going to vote for Loyalty Day.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

imitation feldspar: there has been some speculation that this is actually downwithgender, and the boring sample-driven music plus the "will's mom" stuff at the end does seem to point in this direction, although this is at least somewhat better-than-average as far as DWG is concerned, if it really is them.

loyalty day: drums sound fabulous. the layers of guitar seem to be a little too much on the right side and not so much on the left side, most of the time. as always, awesome singing, and the theremin or whatever is a splendid touch. when this started playing and i saw it was only 2:19 i thought i might be disappointed at the shortness, but this seems to achieve everything it needs to within that span. excellent.

max the cat: the guitar parts sound great, but too repetitive. i'm guessing these are all loops? the one part in the left channel that's got a little slide in it reminds me (a little bit) of spearhead's "hole in the bucket"... um anyway, the low-pitched talky vocals on the verses don't really catch my attention too much. the singing on the choruses is a little better, but way lacking in emotion to really be talking about a laugh riot. the falsetto vocal part reminds me of your "very unlikely occurrence", only that song was a lot funnier.

mc crappypants: really not sure what to make of this. at least it's obvious you aren't taking yourself very seriously. it was too short to really develop into anything worth commenting very much on, but i'm afraid to see what it might have developed into if it WAS any longer.

wilson heights gang: the mix could use some work, guitar and other instrument (sounds like a synth accordian or synth harmonica??) are a little too loud compared to the vocals, but a nicely written and nicely done performance for the most part. i like the backing vocals especially.

-------------
3. max the cat, disappointingly not living up to previous standards
2. wilson heights, showing a lot of good potential
1. loyalty day
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

feldspar too
not really hearing any vocals here as far as i can tell. it's pretty repetitive and annoying.

max the cat
nice guitar loops. that bass sounds fake and cheesy, and the bass line is way too "oopmah, oompah". the group vocals are good. better groove in the chorus. the loop repetition is starting to bug me. ah, the bridge comes just in time. unfortunately the lyrics and vocals put this into novelty territory and it's not really that hilarious to me.

mc crap-a-lot
hm, almost sounds like poor june at times. anyway, this is pretty juvenile and not really funny. at least it's short...

the wilson heights gang
i like the instrumentation. something is kinda blowing on the mic too much, not sure if it's the vocals or the if the guitar was too close or something. this is ok. one of those, "this isn't so bad, thank god" songs you'd hear at an open mic. the melodica and "la la la" parts bring it up a notch from boring guytar. you need to eq out some of the bass of the guitar and/or vox or something, though.

not sure who i'm going to vote for... maybe for my bandmates ;)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

mini reviews. they help me decide who to vote for.
1: loyalty day (defeats songfight? sheesh)
2: willllsonnnnn!

i liked "feldspar" entry, but what's up with that stealing the name business? the end is just stupid.
ok, looks like i'm voting for loyalty day.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

I voted for Loyalty Fuckin' Day!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

blue wrote:I voted for Loyalty Fuckin' Day!
No. Way.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

ok i know half of y'all knew it was... but damnit... it was stupid and sounded shitty on purpose... and for that i apologize...
haha... but...

how the fuck did it get 4 votes!?!?!? O_o

and congrats loyalty \m/ :-D
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

g'nice

Post by TheWilsonHeightsGang »

good fight guys!