There's some snew on your face! (Laugh Riot reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

There's some snew on your face! (Laugh Riot reviews)

Post by TheWilsonHeightsGang »

not much...what'snew with you? :lol:

Let's hear the reviews!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

<font color=blue>THE HALLOWED ENCLAVE OF GOODNESS</FONT>

Loyalty Day
Am I completely spaced out, or did Loyalty Day not have a sexy lead female vocalist until the last three songs or so? If I'm correct, then I'll say that this was a very good addition. Pretty nice song, if a little slight and heavy on the fuzz guitar. And I wish the harmony vocals were more on-key. Close, but not quite. Anyway, good.

Max the Cat
I love how you later in the instruments, and every time you add one it gets a little funkier. Somehow I wish the song were a little, I don't know, "more", I guess, but this is great. So clean and perfectly executed.

<FONT COLOR = RED>EVERYONE ELSE</font>

MC Crap-a-Lot
"Boys, stop playing with your computer, come upstairs and have your macaroni and cheese. Dave, your mother is picking you up in about 15 minutes, so hurry up. Mike has homework."

Wilson Heights Gang
Much, much better recording than the first song. The song here is pretty nothing-y, with that tune rambling around the same three notes, but I can hear some potential future goodness. Just be a little more musically adventurous than this and you'll have something I could vote for.
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Reviewsey Tuesdays

Max the Cat - way to go! this song is tons of fun. I think there might be too much going on, but everything is mixed wonderfully. Kudos!

Loyalty Day - Another very good one! Sounds kinda like my ex would have written it. You're not her, right? I love the eerie part about 5/8 through it. Impressive for a one-week song.

MC Crap-a-lot - I respect your decision to go beyond weird, but its not a song i'd listen to twice...sorry

The Wilson Heights Gang - that's me.
Last edited by TheWilsonHeightsGang on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Loyalty Day- It was good. I'd probably listen to it again, but it's not grabbing me madly.

Max The Cat- *grins* I like this one.

MC Crappy Pants- ...Dude. It sounds kinda like an 80 year old rapping in a freezer while being warped by ghosts and small critters. But, um, yay individuality?

The Wilson Heights Gang- I'm liking this. The 'babababa' thingie later gets kinda odd, but I think that's just the recording. The song ends up being rather catchy.
Last edited by Bjam on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Songfighter since back in the day.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Loyalty Day - This feels like an outtake from the Kill Bill Volume 2 soundtrack. I mean that in the best way possible. Love that chorus. Oh, beautiful ending too.

Max The Cat - Funny story. The chorus falls a little flat, but the verses are great. I wish those horns were louder. Actually, between the storytelling and the peculiar sound, this creates a pretty memorable atmosphere. I can see this one sticking with me, and that's gotta be a good thing. Nice work.

MC Crap-A-Lot - Hey, that was great. Now let me shit in YOUR ear.

Wilson Heights Gang - What is that, an accordion? A harmonium? a harmonica? This is pretty good. The backing vocals get in the way of the lead a bit. And that ending feels tacked on. Other than that, a fine piece of work that I wouldn't mind hearing again.
Last edited by jimtyrrell on Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
blindmime
A New Player
Recording Method: Logic Pro
Submitting as: blind mime ensemble
Pronouns: he/him

Post by blindmime »

I'm listening with headphones this week.

Feldspar
This is pretty cool. I like the tripped-out calliope feel of it. For its length, I'd like to hear some more elements brought into the mix and have it be a little more active in the stereo spread, perhaps. Good stuff.

The Wilson Heights Gang
I like this song and the performance all around is cool as well. I do wish the sound was better. It has a lofi appeal as it is, for sure. Post the lyric on the board, please. Good song.

Max the Cat
This is awesome, really. I don't care for the panning of the acoustic guitars in the mix. The instruments begin to have too much of a looped feel at about half-way through, like I want them to breath a little more, if that makes sense. This kind of song needs to feel more real. Like it's filling up the room in your head and spilling over. Good track.

MC Crap-a-lot
Allright, but forgettable ambient stuffs.

Loyalty Day
Love the vocals again. They should be the focus of this. Oh, this song is really good. The guitars are mixed too loud. It sounds like they're vying for my attention. The bass is not loud enough. This could stand a nice warm bass in my yummy yummy tummy. I love the sound of your drums. The guitars are played and arranged really, really well, but I don't prefer things recorded mono and placed at specific points in the spread. Sound travels. I think your mix would benefit if the guitars sounded like they were in the whole room. Great.

I don't know who to vote. The Max track would probably be my favorite if it felt more real. Loyalty Day is really great. Could probably sing the proverbial phonebook and I'd dig it. I think it might be the best song here, but there may or may not be an exceptional song in the WHG track.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

FELDSPAR:
I couldn't quite tell whether that low voice was properly sync'd
up with the bells 'n' stuff rhythmically or not... the start of
the sample was, but then the second "word" felt like it was coming
in late... Now that I'm taking electronic music classes and messing
around in Reason and Digital Performer, I find this sort of stuff
more interesting than I used to, but in order for one of these
pieces to be a "keeper" for me, it needs to make me feel like it's
more clever / complex than whatever I might come up with myself in
a couple class sessions. Something that makes me go, "whoa, wonder
how they did THAT."

LOYALTY DAY:
Guitars feel a little out of tune at the start, and the vocal kinda
fades in on the first line rather than making a strong impact, and
with the approach this one is taking, the singer needs to be in
the listener's face from the first note... same deal after the
solo (1:50 or so), the vocal sneaks in rather than getting all in
your face. Based on what I can hear of the song, this ought to
a Chrissie Hynde "hey, I'm TALKIN' to you!" feel to it, and instead
the singer just doesn't seem to stand up and OWN the song.

MAX THE CAT:
Wish the guitars were slightly more in tune and the instruments
in general were more "present" - I guess that means louder... I
want those horns on the chorus to be doing a call-n-response
thing with the harmony vocals - as loud as, just not during, the
vocals on the chorus. Keeper.

MC CRAP-A-LOT:
Didn't do much of anything for me...

WILSON HEIGHTS GANG:
Guitar: tune it a little closer and give it more bottom end in
the mix so that it carries the whole song. There were some
interesting lines in the lyric, but I didn't feel like the
verses in the song connected... I don't know if "my girl" in
the second verse is supposed to be the same person as the girl
in the first verse, or a different one - this sort of song
needs a story line that follows all the way through (I'm thinkin'
"Tangled Up In Blue" here, even tho one could argue that there
are some points in that one where the connections from verse to
verse are a bit obscure...). I'd have gladly traded those backing
ba-ba-ba vocals for a nice bass track.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

I really really did not want to make an issue of this, but Fightmaster has resigned to do absolute shit-nothing about it, so I feel I must say something.

The Feldspar entry in this fight is not mine. I did not submit a song for this fight. Please keep this in mind while you listen to the songs.

Thank You,
The Real Feldspar
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Since he's made an issue of it, here is the reply that The Real Feldspar received from FightMaster when he read his complaint:

"Sorry man, "Feldspar" is what the guy said his band name is. Nobody has
dibs on a normal word like that. Maybe time to change your band name to
something that can't be anyone else?

fm"
BIOT
A New Player

Post by BIOT »

jb wrote:"Sorry man, "Feldspar" is what the guy said his band name is. Nobody has dibs on a normal word like that. Maybe time to change your band name to something that can't be anyone else? fm"
You have a person that has submitted often (16 in archive) and reviews regularly plus is an active member of the community and you tell him - choose another name. Would it have been that difficult to tell the new Feldspar - that name has been taken, choose another?

Are any names protected?

I know - wrong thread but jeesh.
"In me the caresser of life wherever moving, backward as well as forward sluing, To niches aside and junior bending, not a person or object missing, Absorbing all to myself and for this song." W. Whitman
FightMaster Jr.
A New Player

FightMaster is not the name police.

Post by FightMaster Jr. »

If you choose a name like "Butter" or "Poodle" or "Feldspar" or "Ampersand" or "Octothorpe" or "add", or some other English word or phrase that sounds cool and that somebody else might want to use for a band name-- that is a risk you take when choosing that name. Hell, even stuff like "Loyalty Day" or "Urine Luck" aren't completely safe from this phenomenon.

If somebody is trying to be an asshole, and submits a song as "Feldspar" and it sounds, in FightMaster's opinion, like he's being an asshole, then there'll be a problem. In this case, no matter your personal opinion of whether it's good music or not, it doesn't seem to be a case of abuse.

Therefore, Feldspar's action of announcing on the forum that he has nothing to do with this week's "Feldspar" entry is the proper course of action for him. If the "other" Fedlspar joins the forums, then perhaps they can have a discussion.

This is the first occurrence of this problem, in five years of SongFight. It doesn't appear to be something that's going to happen every week, so it's not something I'm going to worry about.

And for the record, I appreciate Feldspar's participation, dedication, and musicianship, but I really don't consider anybody as doing me a damned favor by participating in SongFight. I don't care who it is.

I will add this to the FAQ.

FM_Jr
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

next fight everyone submit as sonofsupercar!
Hi!
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Next week I'm submitting as the Jimmy-Boy Band. Since abbreviations are cool, it'll be the JBB.

I'M KIDDING. HAR HAR.
🤠
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

duplicate names thread

Post by Lunkhead »

Let's move the "duplicate names" discussion to this thread:

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Re: FightMaster is not the name police.

Post by feldspar »

FightMaster Jr. wrote:If you choose a name like "Butter" or "Poodle" or "Feldspar" or "Ampersand" or "Octothorpe" or "add", or some other English word or phrase that sounds cool and that somebody else might want to use for a band name-- that is a risk you take when choosing that name. Hell, even stuff like "Loyalty Day" or "Urine Luck" aren't completely safe from this phenomenon.
See, up untill recently, I would be inclined to agree with that. But go check out the archives. Sort by artist. Scroll down to 'Feldspar'. That's my picture. That's my bio. Those are my songs. As far as I'm concerned, that's my page. The Bizarro Feldspar's song would be listed there, right alongside my songs, on my bio page. Now, Senior has graciously altered the other Feldspar's band name to prevent database fuck-uppery like this, but apparently he is acting independently of you. Under your proposed 'every man for himself' system, what's the point of the extended artist pages if it isn't a page exclusively devoted to one specific artist?
FightMaster Jr. wrote:And for the record, I appreciate Feldspar's participation, dedication, and musicianship...
Aww, I love you too, Fighty. :wink:
FightMaster Jr.
A New Player

Re: FightMaster is not the name police.

Post by FightMaster Jr. »

feldspar wrote:
FightMaster Jr. wrote:If you choose a name like "Butter" or "Poodle" or "Feldspar" or "Ampersand" or "Octothorpe" or "add", or some other English word or phrase that sounds cool and that somebody else might want to use for a band name-- that is a risk you take when choosing that name. Hell, even stuff like "Loyalty Day" or "Urine Luck" aren't completely safe from this phenomenon.
See, up untill recently, I would be inclined to agree with that. But go check out the archives. Sort by artist. Scroll down to 'Feldspar'. That's my picture. That's my bio. Those are my songs. As far as I'm concerned, that's my page. The Bizarro Feldspar's song would be listed there, right alongside my songs, on my bio page. Now, Senior has graciously altered the other Feldspar's band name to prevent database fuck-uppery like this, but apparently he is acting independently of you. Under your proposed 'every man for himself' system, what's the point of the extended artist pages if it isn't a page exclusively devoted to one specific artist?
You do have a point there. One of the main problems is that all the work of sorting bands is done via email, and in order to police the band names I would have to remember who has sent in a band name using which email address-- and people change them or submit from somewhere else or get friends to submit for them etc etc. I'm just not prepared to remember everybody's email address.

But if we are going to do the whole "Band Profile" thing, then I guess you are correct, we're going to have to police band names. But for now, if such a collision occurs again, the offended party will have to email fightmaster after he notices the problem. As you did.

Luckily, it almost never happens.

So I am pulling a John Kerry, and revising my position based on further thought and information.

FM Jr.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Max The Cat: Good song – fun lyrics, great boppy sort of rhythm. Good work.

Loyalty Day: Pretty good – vox good, like the ‘laugh riot’ bit – well put together song – slow bit with the laughing isn’t good, however this is definitely a potential vote. Great ending

Feldspar?: Do not like

MC Crappy Pants: There is nothing so sad as a novelty song that contains no novelty

Wilson Heights Gang: There’s a lot to like here. Very simple, but quite compelling – nice guitar rhythm. Vocals may be letting you down a bit – not the voice, I like the voice – but the recording may be a bit dead – I’m no good with the techo stuff – hopefully someone else can explain it.

In summary, 3 very good songs – 2 very bad ones, 60% strike rate is OK. Vote is a real toss-up between Loyalty Day and Wilson Heights – I think I’ll go with Loyalty Day on the strength of the nice vocals
TheWilsonHeightsGang
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

answering some questions

Hey guys. Some of you seem to be uncertain of some instruments I used. The first thing to come in with the guitar is a harmonica. The other is a melodica (a small keyboard that you need to blow into in order to get sound). A friend of mine was like "hey. want to use my melodica?" There was no turning down a new fun instrument. I actually wrote the song in C just so I could use the harmonica I got at a thrift store.
The Anonymous Reviewer
A New Player

Post by The Anonymous Reviewer »

Loyalty Day
Sounds pretty good. Cool arrangement. Everything is pretty well played and tight. I like the warbly synthy thing way in the background. Good singing, improves when it's doubled up. Love that bridge part. Is that a theramin?

Max the Cat
Very cool. I love the mood that this invokes right from the start. Really nice guitar and production. Yeah, those horns are very cool too. I hear little clips through the mix, maybe on that guitar loop. Really unique and original and very well done.

Feldspar's Stalker
Well, I'm not sure how to review this. Pretty repetitive and doesn't do much for me. That sums it up pretty good I think.

MC Crappy Pants
This pretty much sucks ass.

Wilson Heights Gang
Nice. I like it. Back off the mic a bit, and use a pop screen. The guitar is pretty solid, as is the harmonica. LOTS of poofing during the harmonies. Melodica is good too. I enjoyed this production issues aside. This could use some simple percussion too.

Both Max the Cat and Loyalty Day had very good songs this week. Max the Cat gets the slight nod for originality.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

feldspar's stalker: uhm... interesting... loop loop loopidy loop loop... uhm... that starts gettin' a tidbit annoyin' on the intro... (the vocal effect is way too much... maybe lighten it some)... like the thing that comes in the background... but the repetitiveness deffinately makes it a bit drab...
not my style... dif. though

loyalty day: i really dig this song... i don't think i'd change much... it starts off a bit weak... like uncertain... other then that... great production... written pretty well... some of the vox didn't match perfect but awesome voice...
probable vote

max the cat: (is that a banjo?)... uhm... i like this... i kinda like your other stuff better though... this def. has a really cool storyline... it doesn't really change up as much as i would hope... (do like the lil' vocal thing...)
but it gets kind of repetitive... the riff should change up some... or atleast have somethin' to go up or under it at points...
good ideas all in it...

mc-craps-alot: dude... you suck what were you thinkin'? and if you have more of what you were smokin'... do share

wilsonheightsgang: like the idea of this song... the vocal recording... seems like the singing should be sung up a lil' louder... cause the strumming is so hard... mumbling has to be done in a more soft sort of setting... (trust me i know... all i do is mumble haha)... but very good stuff... not sure if i like the bop bops... they're ok for a change up... but not perfectly lined up...
really good overall \m/

pretty good fight... loyalty day gets my vote with max the cat in 2nd... and mc craps in his drawers gets my last place song the sucks-a-lot title... i mean seriously he should get an award for pullin' that kinda shit out of his ass \m/

love to all :-*
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

The Anonymous Reviewer wrote:Loyalty Day
Is that a theramin?
Theremin sample.

I mentioned this before: http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/index.html It has a ton of free vintage instrument samples for your sampler.

Thanks for the vote.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang