Who Needs Coffee (WNS Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Who Needs Coffee (WNS Reviews)

Post by j$ »

Rone Rivendale, taking a single line of a review out of context, wrote:RONE RIVENDALE no comment.
Um, misrepresent much? The REST of my review, which is in plain view, went as follows

"Oh since you’re an artist, all I can offer beyond “be better” is don’t hard pan the drums EVER and your little chord sequence should be dirtier and bassier – without a bass line this sounds weaker and thinner than it might do with a low-end. Also, I recommend not writing about writing songs – a casual listener doesn’t care enough about you in particular to be engaged in listening about it, and it also gives the impression (probably erroneous) that you have no ideas about what to sing about.

Maybe there’s a posthumous career as a Daniel Johnston Lite Outsider for you.

All that said, I have seen people offer you spot-on, helpful criticism in more than one occasion, much more useful than mine, and you clearly have never even bothered to try and take it on board, so asking for detailed criticism you are now wasting my time on the boards as well as in the music archive. Thanks."

Ish.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice the rest of the review.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Rone Rivendale wrote:To be perfectly honest, I didn't notice the rest of the review.
This is symptomatic of someone who just looks for his name on the list to see what has been said about him, and is a revealing comment regarding your dedication to this place and to your craft.

Personally, I have always gotten a lot from reading the rest of the reviews, as well, especially after listening to the songs. It's a good exercise to listen to a song, and then read what people are saying about it. You don't necessarily agree with them, but it helps you gauge how your own opinion compares to others, and you can even learn something about how people are achieving various sounds, effects, etc.

Finally, much of the advice given to someone else applies to you, too.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening