993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999... (1000 Words Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:Yeah,

+++ --- ///
Positive, negative, divided.
kinda thought it was obvious myself...

anyways... no one responded to my reviews thus far... so i'm not gonna finish... josh got my vote anyhow...
better luck next week...

if i missed you and you want me review ask...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Alas PJ, I don't have your keen de-codifying talent. ;)

BUT...I do finish my reviews once started. c'mon..loads of time left! Just 'cuz no one responded to them doesn't mean they aren't read and appreciated. :)
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Yes,

I rarely respond to a review, becuase it seems like it would make the boards unbearably long, but i ALWAYS appreciaet anyone who takes the time to listen and write, even if it makes me upset.

Thank you, Poor June and everyone.

TheHipCola
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote: Liechty
+++ NES sample? +++
its from my favorite snes game: Earthbound.
if anyone is bored sometime open that in the emulator and play through it.
its really good. also thanks for reviewing even though i came in late.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Poor June wrote:...anyways... no one responded to my reviews thus far... so i'm not gonna finish...
Reviewing for selfish reasons is missing the point ...
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

anyways... no one responded to my reviews thus far... so i'm not gonna finish... josh got my vote anyhow...
better luck next week...

Sweet. That's a good idea. Just listen and review until you hear the 1st song you like, vote for that, stop listening, and leave everyone else in the dark. Great idea.

Unless of course people quote me and let me know how I'm off-base or right on.
BUTTZ?
Morbid Morgan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Morbid Morgan »

I have no business giving any of you advice on music, so I'm just going to make random comments on all of your songs. If you want technical advice from me, by all means ask, I'll make something up.

Ants (Invisible) - and it went on...and it went on...and she thought that it might end...but it went on.... This is like a background track to a battery or tire commercial. Even up to the climaxing end and trippy "never ending story" synths in the background. It made me do the "funky turtle" dance with my neck.

Luke Henley - Okay enough has been said about the jingling change, but I will say it is reminiscent of a street side beggar song. The addition of the second voice at the end was...well interesting, neurotic, a little unsettling. And do I hear a third voice as well? One wailing bum voice per song is really sufficient.

Nex-Gen Herd - This song gets my vote. No instruments, simple vocals, but the harmony is spot on and it's so lovely and fun. Yay barbershop.

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan - Hot damn, that is one sexy vocalist! So kidding... but I'll spare you the breakdown of my real thoughts on my performance. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Pistolero for your sexy dobro stylings and for your hard work on the mix....quick the music is cutting me off...... I'd also like to thank.....

Justin T. Arthur - I don't get it. Something about websites and decimals. Abstract. Unfortunately, the vocals make me nervous. " I think of you when I turn out the lights... A hexadecimal word...?" It's like Kermit the frog singing a love ditty to teach us math and spelling skills.

Ben Wong - The vocals are so far away...with better mixing, etc. ( you know geeky computer stuff) this would be a great boy-pop tune. Sounds like a garage band (actual, not apple) version of everything on the radio.

Josh Woodward - You know, I downloaded a bunch of your stuff from the 40 in '04 site. And while 1) your production is excellent, 2) you obviously know what you are doing, and 3) your ideas are interesting, I just want to hear you yell. Scream, make some noise, you know you want to, it has to be bottled in there after all the "la la la" whiny boy singing you've been doing. That said, I commend your obvious dedication to making music.

The HipTripper - I love it. The effect on the voice is great. This song has fascinating elements of noise woven into a hypnotic whole. I listened to it on repeat. (I was high, but hey, you are the HIP tripper....)

Gareth Duncan -This is a pretty song. See comments for Ben Wong. Except this was on the radio when Full House was still on prime time.

Song Fight Orchestra - So my buddy, rg, just explained the whole song-fight orchestra thing to me. This snippet excites me. I love campy musical numbers. I'm imagining choreography in my head. Sets...costumes...lighting....ok, seriously this song has a great swell to it, it's well put together and well produced. Good job.

The Twenty-Fives - See comments for Ben Wong. Also, your drummer is like way more excited about playing drums than the other two of you are about singing and playing guitar. Younger sibling as a drummer perhaps?

WreckdoM - *sits* *listens* * giggles uncontrollably* I get a really big kick out of your stuff. I didn't at first, but I was repeatedly subjected to it and I have acquired a taste. The bit in the aspartame fight about the potbelly pig was hilarious. Okay I'll focus... pampers? Put pampers on me and treat me right? *Still laughing* ... loved the dig on the bewells.

Where's Fluff? - I'm digging the guitar. And props.....for belting out a song that is a bit out of your range. This is definitely about the song and not the performance, which is cool. I suggest trying a song a bit lower and if you are playing and singing at the same time, try doing one at a time to work on vocals.

Ting Pong Garcia - This is a groovy song. I wish I could hear your voice a bit better, but this is a solid piece. I dig the talking voices in the background.

The Idiot Kings - Very very mid nineties. Beautiful sound from the guitar and bass. The voice is great until the chorus when it just gets drowned. To bad, you have a cool voice.
I'm a professional cynic, but my heart's not in it. I'm paying the price of living life by the minute.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Ants (invisible) - This gives me the feeling as though I'm about to get an earful from her while I'm peaking on LSD. The redundant line closing out to the final chord is it's selling point. Good job on the mix. 8)

Ben Wong - The guitar is so strong in the mix that even if the vocals were intentionally put in the background it doesn't translate all that well. Good feel, just wish the vocals were a little louder in the mix. It would have helped it.

Gareth Duncan - My biggest criticism of this is that the rhythm guitar sounds as though it might be an older guitar that may not be set up properly and that you've had to compromise on the tuning to accomodate the changes in chords. I dug the seperation in the mix as the parts all have a good space with one another, but the song itself sounds kind of forced from a performance stand point. I think it's the guitar tuning causing the reach.

Us (TheHipTripper) - This was a real throwdown. Happened in two days with TheHipCola causing most of the inspiration for this one. His guitar tones were great and the reason I put this puppy together. Without the guitar this would be just another boring industrial type of song. It's good to keep exploring.

The Idiot Kings - Great mix! I think my major beef with this song is the fact that it seems so dated and done. It sounds like major radio play type of music, but more in the vein of Swervedriver or vintage Psychadelic Furs, which isn't a bad thing per se, but I get bored of it in the way that I do listening to main stream alternative radio these days. I think you could have explored more possibilities in the writing style.

Josh Woodward - There is nothing bad to say ever about your ultimate talent on the guitar, but there is something bad to say about the, perhaps, unintentional rip-off of the feel of a Pearl Jam song. I'm sure there is a song done by Eddie that is very similar to this song. I'm not sure of the tune but I will endeavour to find out what it is. The other comparison, unfortunately, is the Simon and Garfunkel song that starts with "Ophelia, your breaking my heart...". I'm sure it's subconscious robbery. Great production as usual.

Justin Arthur - There is something endearing about the nerdy kind of performance that this song embraces, but the lyrical content is a very good reason why this song doesn't move me for the title. No vote.

Luke Henley - Is that a piggy bank I hear rattling change as a shaker? Cuz if it is I dig that but it is a little strong. Overall this song kind of grows on me like a really hairy fungus. Kind of repulsed by it, but interested all the same. Not sure of the title indication but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

Nexgenherd - I love the a capella feel and the line about writing a 1000 word essay. The whistling is a nice touch. This could get my vote.

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan - The performances are fantastic in this. I'm a real sucker for well sung female blues voices so this allows quite a crush on the singer. :wink: The Slide guitar is suhweet. My major complaint is although I love the parts seperately I kind of want to mess their hair a little. What I mean to say is I find the vocal too good against the gravelly slide. It seems a contradiction that I can't find conguity in. I think I would have put in a dirty harmonica in it with an old record scratchy sound on the back-end of the mix. I know it would kill my crush, if only but slightly, but it would feed my need for different production on a well performed tune. It would have got my vote if this had of been done. Blues is wonderful for making repitition stick and you both done well on that front. 8)

Songfight Orchestra - There is nothing that I don't love about this song. Great time shifts. Excellent mix and I totally dig the lyrical content in keeping with the title. This could easily get my vote. 8)

Ting-Pong Garcia - Great drum sounds in this one. Kind of groovy in it's laid back feel and the vocal processing. Space in the mix is excellently built. I think I would have liked to have heard crunchier guitars in the swelling build. Other than that there is very little to criticize as the performances are great. Just not sure of the tie in with the title and for that may not get my vote.

The Twenty-Fives - I think the biggest problem with this song is that the drums sound completely like they are in their own world. I don't mind that sometimes if there is a reason for it, but in this case it just sounds cluttered and wrong. Keep working at it. It can only get better.

Where's Fluff - Ouch!! The pitchiness and the treble on this track are sometimes a little over-whelming. Cut the treble. There is way toooooo much. No vote.

Wreckdom - Whereas the last tune had too much treble this one could use more. I love the cowboy acid folk energy of this tune. Like I'm riding my virtual horse Sally through the desert with geckos clicking and sun blazing just as I reach the street light. I hate red lights. The guiro is cool. :lol: Everytime you guys open the beer I get thirstier. Damn desert's not what it used to be. When John Wayne was around........ 8)

Liechty - There are some interesting elements but it just keeps pointing me in the direction of another bad rap song trying to wear the clothes of nerdcore. I didn't buy it for the title.

So my top 5 are:
Ants (invisible), SFO (CCS), Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan, Wreckdom and Nexgenherd.

I'll decide later this weeked to vote. Good tunes all.

- Pablo
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

1000 Words Reviews

Ants (Invisible) - Beautiful harmonies. Wow, this is sharp. Is this mastered kind of quietly? I just got my computer back, so maybe it's just my system. I'd like to have heard a more active drum beat, but that's just me. Very cool.

Ben Wong - Tough to make out the lyrics. That's an interesting effect on the guitar. It's a little overbearing, I think. It sounds kind of like you're sawing through the neck. If the lyrics are posted in the archive, I'll go and read them.

Gareth Duncan - Hey, not bad. The voice could afford to be a bit grittier, you know? More aggressive, maybe. I don't know how to put it, exactly. But this is a pretty cool song, I say. Nice guitar solo at the end.

Hip Tripper - Hip, indeed. Once everything gets going, it gets kinda 'fuzzy' and I have a hard time understanding some of the words. Again, this could be my system as much as anything.

Idiot Kings - Ooh, I like the chords under the 'harder' parts. Nice dropoff at 2:37, too. The drums sound nice; I'd like to know more about how you did them.

Josh Woodward - Nice job working with a predictable cliche and making it interesting. I'll admit that the 'picture=1000words' thing kind of scared me off this title, because I couldn't come up with a good angle on it. This is a graceful answer. Good story, and as usual, beautifully performed and captured.

Justin T. Arthur - Voice gets kind of pitchy here and there. But that's easy enough to overlook because this is a cute piece. By the end I've heard the word 'hexadecimal' enough for this life, though. Hehe. Yeah, I got a kick out of this one.

Liechty - I'm digging this. I'd lke it if the voice were more up front. Another one I'm anxious to read; hopefully lyrics are posted. But this sounds awesome. This is another one that I'd love to hear some production specifics on. How is the 'scratching' done? It's very cool. (hope that's the right term... I'm dating myself, probably)

Luke Henley - I gotta know, what'd that shaker made out of? This is unabashedly low-tech. It's kind of cool once you become accustomed to it. Hah, my wife just looked in to see if I was okay.

Nex Gen Herd - Oh man, I was just getting into that. Gotta listen again. Curious: did you use any vocal pitch correction on this? If not, I'm very impressed with the singing ability shown here. Hell, even if you did, this is pretty damn cool.

Pistolero w/Morbid Morgan - Another good vocal performance here. Sweet guitar, too. And this piece is just the right length. Nice ending.

SF Orchestra - If history is anything to go on, this'll be over before I can finish typing a review, so I'm starting early. Okay, let's fire it up. Oh my GOD. Sounds like Mr. Bungle in a good mood. This is outstanding.

Ting Pong Garcia - Neat intro groove. And an interesting vocal line over it. Nice. This is solid all the way through.

The Twenty Fives - Not sure what to make of this one. Sounds like the drums are in the other room. Can't make out the vocals. Guitar sounds nice though.

Where's Fluff? - I was hoping some other instruments would kick in on the chorus. But I'm down with the guy-and-guitar thing. Sounds like some of the higher vocal parts gave you a hard time. A predictable formula overall, but not bad. Nice ending.

WreckdoM - This makes me feel like I drank too much at the county fair. The spoken word bit has me laughing out loud. This is pretty damn good, guys. Nice work!

So yeah, I'm notoriously easy to please, I think. But even taking that into account, this fight was unusually good in my opinion. Thanks for playing, everyone! My vote could go any which way; I'll have to re-listen to most of these.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

PISTLERO featuring morbid....

I likea da bluesy vibe. Nice guitar. The intro had some kind of background noise that licked. Vocals are great. You got the sexy sublte growl thing down good. I liked the solo, very well played.... I'm waiting for Bonham to kick in with some super hot .groove...yeah, is that your fan or something on the vocal track? That sucks, ruins the track.... of course, you could argue that it's got even more of an authentic vibe due to the production flubs... but I think it just would have been better without. Nice track. You get three oranges, but only half an apple for the noise, but we'll glue a kiwi on it for the great performances.

Lots' o good tunes in this here fight... I hope to have the time to check 'em out again ... before voting...
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

johnsonic wrote:
better luck next week...

Sweet. That's a good idea. Just listen and review until you hear the 1st song you like, vote for that, stop listening, and leave everyone else in the dark. Great idea.

nah i've listened to the fight 2 or 3 times already... i already knew who i liked the most...

i still gave whoever wanted a review the option to ask... i just didn't go on... cause the whole weekend i'm working doubles... unless someone really wants the rest... i wasn't gonna do it... but... i guess if i don't go to sleep too early tonight... i'll try to get 'em in... before next week...
just stop your bitching (not just you... everyone)

if you wanna know my opinion fucking ask... (read on fuckin' pricks...)
(i put that option in there)... (ignore the pissy mood i haven't slept in the last 40 hours... i'm not in the best mood)...

Morbid Morgan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Morbid Morgan »

Poor June wrote:cause the whole weekend i'm working doubles... unless someone really wants the rest... i wasn't gonna do it... but... i guess if i don't go to sleep too early tonight... i'll try to get 'em in... before next week...
Hey a word of advice: Don't lose sleep over those who need their ego stroked. They'll find someone else to do the stroking. Get some sleep...
I'm a professional cynic, but my heart's not in it. I'm paying the price of living life by the minute.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

1000 Reviews

antsinvisible*
i'm totally sucked in by the constant
building of this piece. I do get tired
of the on and on's, but it builds so
well I forget that i'm tired of it.
Great. The clapping pseudo-climax is
abrupt. The mix is quite good, like the
space your drums are in. Is that BFD?
Good job.

Nexgenherd*
you know what? I've heard a few o'
these acapella pieces here in SF and
this is definitely one of the best.
Nice work. Great length. Keeper for
sure. Blending is great.

The Idiot Kings*
Like this quite a bit. But the ping
pongy delay on the vox is to hifi for
the sound of the song. I want a better
resolve from the two main parts. I like
the bridge, abrupt as it is into it.
Nice guitar tones. And that's a good
resolve. ooh like the solo...nice
guitar tone as well. The mix is solid.
I like the snare tone...this is a catchy
song that keeps me hoping for something
slightly more poppy...which I think is a
good thing, cuz I've gone back to it a
few times.

The 25's
You gotta write these to get to the
other side. The drummer who wasn't used
to the skin bouncing back got a bit
tiring.. Keep writing and playing and
stretching yourself. It comes.

Josh Woodward*
Some of the best guitar work I've heard
on SF and beautifully captured too.
I'd prefer to hear you stretch a little
more vocally, as it is it's nice but too
safe. There are some wimpy voice-cracks
goin' on. The backing music is soo
strong, you can take off from it and
it'll support you. I like the ending
alot. Great harmonies. The vibes/xyl
playing is too loose tho for the rest of
the performance. Overall I'm in love
with your command of the guitar.

HipTripper- us. This was fun, had no
idea how it would end up, just tracked
the guitars, workin' ideas, then the axe
kakked. sent what I had to TT and hoped
it would be enough for him to put
together.. Good job to TT for going to
a different place just to see what's
there. I heard where this started, so
hats off on the mixing. Slightly empty
in the mids, but I like.

Pistolero feat Morbid Morgan*
Nice! This has GREAT feel. Really
sweet voice Morgan! Love the dobro too.
Not much to say here...saved to the
permanent folder. Very appropriate mix.

Ben Wong
The effect on the guitar is brutally
overpowering, like I can't hear your
voice at all. Man..what happened with
that. The song isn't bad, and with some
instrumentation might actually cook
well. But that's way too much of
whatever effect you got for christmas.
:) This gets only one listen.

Where's Fluff?
Pitch issues aside, this seems pretty
heartfelt. The guitar tone is really
harsh, somewhere between 2 and 6K I
think needs a cut. And a boost maybe
around 150hz just to give a bit low end
to the guitar. I can't hear the vocals
very well all the time. Maybe 4am isn't
the best time to record? ;) Slightly
cliche song style for a title also
cliche. Doesn't hold my interest I'm
afraid.

SFO*
Dude, you must be on speed when you
write. That's crazy and awesome.
Vocals are a tad buried. Love it a
tonne.

Wreckdom
Great lyrics. roll off a little bass
from the vox tho. It's long on that
groove for sure. But funny for one
listen.... :) I'm happy you guys are
writing "songs" now though...

Justin Arthur
oh man...the nerdy love song. I'm
sorry, this really doesn't work for me.
Voice doesn't sound bad, the guitar
needs some love. Try panning the stuff
around for interests sake.

Gareth Duncan
The lead guitar is out of tune a smidge
maybe, or intonation off? ...nice use of
different guitar tones. I'm not a fan
of the surprise tambourine. The second
verse moves well with the left guitar.
Too much space inbetween words, meaning
I'd like to hear you sing more of them,
faster like. Vocals are pitch-y, i'm
sure you know that. Though in that,
they seem ernest. Bad ending I
think..almost like you chopped the last
verse.

Luke Henley
Alot of guy and guitar this week...again
from you Luke, you show great potential
with your singing, but overall the trck
grates on me. lots going on, you must
have multitrcked this, why don't you pan
stuff around a bit? whatever it is, it
moved you eh?

Liechty*
not coming up for me, weird...ok, retried it,
we're good. This is crazy laid back and phat.
I actually like this. Maybe it's the chill backing
tunes and the great pitchdown voice. Wahtever,
I'm keeping it. It makes me smile. Maybe cuz
it reminds me of Ween, or what they might be
like if they busted a phat rime. I would love to
do a remix this track. Can I?

Ting-Pong Garcia
I like that the snare in the first part is tuned to
the music. Vocals are smidge to blurry, they
need some seperation. The constant lead noodling
is distracting, get down in the groove and work it!
The mix is well balanced, but flat. No sparkle.
I think with a remix it might cook a bit more. I
like the energy happening. The bridgy bit is empty
and not really necessary like that. It doesn't
add to the song, only lengthens it.

Great fight, replete with some great highs and
some usual lows. Voting will not be easy. *'s mean keepin' it.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

But I get so sad doing my own stroking.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Morbid Morgan wrote:Don't lose sleep over those who need their ego stroked.
is that why you read reviews Morgan? just curious. Don't paint us all with your brush there...some of us just like to know what people think, good or bad.

And yah, PJ, grab some shuteye...you are definitely lacking it. Gotta admit, your post of review abandonment doesn't really say why, other than because no one was responding. It didn't mention lack of sleep at all...so cut people a little slack. Geeeez......
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

sorry i know that was all uncalled for... yea... anyways i'll finish these reviews... hopefully if nothin' happens haha...

leichty: didn't hear this song the first time through this isn't bad for electronica... it's not really my thang... but it'd prob atleast make my top 5... prob one of my fave of yours... don't really have any constructive comments for this style

luke henley: really don't like the shaker... the guitar isn't all that bad... kinda bland... but not bad...
the vocals... are semi alright... i like what it seems like they're goin' for... but bein' executed better would've deffinately made the song more enjoyable... and when it has the ohh's... it completely over goes the rest of the song... can't hear anything but that... when that happens...
prob one of my faves of yours thus far... just work on gettin' some stronger takes... not a bad thing... with the right production and mixing... it would've been sort of better...

nexgenherd: this is a killer acapella... if it were longer... and did more... i think this probably would've got my vote... cause it really is pretty awesome... the vocals were incredibly well performed... and have a lot of cool ideas floating around...

2000words(not showin' the name on the player) girl singer: uhm... pretty voice... but gotta admit it really didn't do much for me... it was pretty... and then the music comes in... and it seems like it starts off on an off beat... which ruins what it seems like you were goin' for... the vocals are ok... but it sounds like the music and vocals were meant for two completely different songs... it just isn't workin' for me... ending is kinda cool though...

songfightorchestra: this was pretty awesome... and i'd say the person that gets the next one... has a lot to live upto O_o... cause that's pretty wild...
i still can't get myself to vote for a song under a minute long... but this is pretty cool...

ting-pong garcia: the guitar riff... sounds familiar... but it's good... so all is well... the vocals work well with it... really pretty good production... deffinately has one of those listenable qualities... like one of those songs i could have playing over and over... and sort of realize it's goin'... but phase in and out of it... deffinately mean it in a good way though... (cause if i didn't like the song... i just wouldn't listen to it again... the fact that i'd have it on repeat means somethin')... this song barely lost my vote... and not because this song has a bad draw back... i'm not real huge on the 'i'm a little pissed' line... but the guitar riff mixed with that one line in the josh woodward song... turned me... but this is really good...

the twentyfives: the drum thing is cool... but it would've sounded much better if it was on time... atleast somewhat 'close'... this is really far off... i'd say it'd be hard to mistakebly do that...
the guitar is alright... nice tone... but this song doesn't have nothin' really good goin' on... the vocals are burried in the mix 2... so i can't understand anything ya say... i can barely make out a voice in the background...
all and all... i do look forward to you puttin' out another song... to see what you can do... givin' the time... but seriously... if somethin' isn't right... it's better to go without it... then to have something completely off...

where'sfluff: uhm... the guitar tone... is kind of annoyin' for some reason... it has no warmth... neither do the vocals... and the vocals aren't really that well executed... but... even despite that... i don't really think i'd dig it a whole lot if they were on... mostly just cause it's a really bland song... that goes on a long time...there is no extra guitar riffs... it's just strum chord strum chord... there's good in breakin' chords up sometime... it adds dynamic...
as it is... i'm kinda surprised i made it all the way through... but don't let that get ya down... sometimes you gotta go through shit to find magic shrooms...

wreckdom: the production i guess is gettin' better... i think the voice has maybe too much low end or somethin'... it's alright... but gotta admit i like y'alls crazy stuff... the fact that i couldn't make out most of the lyrics probably hurt my listen a bit... i'll have to read 'em sometime...
liked the ending words... did catch those...

ok finally... got it all... kinda quick... but hope it sheads some light on the rest...

hip tis probably true i probably should've stated the situation better... but i still stated to ask if someone wanted it... and everyone ignored that... i've heard of selective hearing... but i didn't realize so many people have selective reading...

thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

right on brother! At least you got 'em done. Thanks for taking the time! I know that I appreciate it for sure. :)
Morbid Morgan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Morbid Morgan »

TheHipCola wrote:
Morbid Morgan wrote:Don't lose sleep over those who need their ego stroked.
is that why you read reviews Morgan? just curious. Don't paint us all with your brush there...some of us just like to know what people think, good or bad.
Yes. I need my ego stroked. Everyone needs their ego stroked, especially musicians. And yes, I need the bad (constructive) reviews as well. Put your balls on the table and get feedback, good or bad. My maternal instinct kicked in with poor june, kind of a "take care of yourself, we'll survive with the reviews we did receive." But, thank you for making sure my narcissism is in check.
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

johnsonic wrote:

Quote:

better luck next week...

nah i've listened to the fight 2 or 3 times already... i already knew who i liked the most...
Yeah, sorry about that PJ, I wrote it like I read it. I for sure know what doubles, triples feel like and I listen once and write my reviews as they're spinnin'. Didn't mean to be a tool...

And no, I don't need my ego stroked, just if I put 20+ hours into something and read something to the effect of "I listened to everything, I'll review three, know who I vote for, and that's that" I get worked up... Not just for me but everyone else in my boat. I'd like to know PJ's opinions on it, b/c he has some damn good insight... (and maybe I'd like my ego stroked enough to know I'm at least worth reviewing)

Get some sleep PJ... You deserve it and you're kickin' ass with the finished reviews (I would have just crashed :-P )

But when you wake, Make sure you're ready to RAWK!!!
BUTTZ?
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Welp, I voted for wreckdom.

However, I also very much enjoyed the tracks by the idiot kings, nexgenherd and liechty. And hip/tripper. I thank you all for the music.
if I put 20+ hours into something and read something to the effect of "I listened to everything, I'll review three, know who I vote for, and that's that" I get worked up...
Looks around. Ooops!
-- reve mosquito.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

johnsonic wrote:
johnsonic wrote:

Quote:

better luck next week...

Yeah, sorry about that PJ, I wrote it like I read it. I for sure know what doubles, triples feel like and I listen once and write my reviews as they're spinnin'. Didn't mean to be a tool...

And no, I don't need my ego stroked, just if I put 20+ hours into something and read something to the effect of "I listened to everything, I'll review three, know who I vote for, and that's that" I get worked up... Not just for me but everyone else in my boat. I'd like to know PJ's opinions on it, b/c he has some damn good insight... (and maybe I'd like my ego stroked enough to know I'm at least worth reviewing)

Get some sleep PJ... You deserve it and you're kickin' ass with the finished reviews (I would have just crashed :-P )

But when you wake, Make sure you're ready to RAWK!!!
got five hours of sleep last night... just got off... i understand what ya mean... just been touchy lately... it's a 'bad' habit...
but no worries... i don't really know which song you did?...
sorry if i missed it the first time around... i didn't pick a choose when i reviewed that first set... that was just the order they play on my player...

Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Wow, holy crap, I finally finished'em. whew!

Ants (Invisible)
What I liked: Nice jazzy opening, the song quickly goes a different direction than what’d I’d expect. The “On and ons” are very catchy, and effects on your voice compliment it quite well. I love the dramatic additions during it’s closing 30 seconds, so simple but it really draws the listener in. Certainly one of my favorite JoS songs.
What I didn’t like:

Ben Wong
What I liked: The seemingly unintentional phaseness of the cheaply recorded guitar, that’s a delightfully odd tone.
What I didn’t like: Your voice mainly, too much whining and wailing and unintelligible. Without any stylistic changes the low-fi-ness I initially enjoyed wears very thin.

Gareth Duncan
What I liked: Unique voice, strikes me as very sincere.
What I didn’t like: It’s hard to say anything good or bad about this song. It’s dry and does little to call attention to itself.

The HipTripper
What I liked: The song’s early industrial feel, very groovy. The break at 2:22 and subsequent craziness is pretty frickin’ sweet. I also love the warped guitar.
What I didn’t like: The vocals and their degree of distortion just doesn’t sit right with me. I’m not exactly sure why, I think the singing might be too high pitched, but it doesn’t seem as authentic as the rest of the song.

The Idiot Kings
What I liked: The resonance in the guitars, very rich and thick. The interplay between the two is quite satisfying. Nice change at 2:20.
What I didn’t like: The chorus change, loud burst, is predictable and very unballsy pop. The vocals cause an instant and consistent tuneout.

Josh Woodward
What I liked: The instrumentation, the warmly recorded dueling guitars are very nice and the vibe sounding keyboards are a cool touch. The subtle low key vocals fit in well.
What I didn’t like: I’m not finding the lyrics compelling enough to follow, and without being drawn into the story the song itself is rather redundant.

Justin T. Arthur
What I liked: You did manage to make me chuckle occasionally. That may have been out of pity.
What I didn’t like: Guy and Guitar submissions are always a hard sell for me, and, uh, you don’t really need me to tell you what’s wrong with this one.

Liechty
What I liked: I often can’t understand what you’re saying, but I appreciate the fact that you’re rapping nice and low key, saving the high pitched stuff for little touches here and there. I love the mix, especially the record scratches and bumble bee information samples. The length doesn’t bother me, due to the cool restraint.
What I didn’t like:

Luke Henley
What I liked: Do you know Don Henley? Will you punch him for me? Anyway, Your voice is crazy and manic which I automatically find appealing. In fact, I like this quite a bit. The second vocals and hand claps are effective in keeping the idea fresh.
What I didn’t like:

Nex-Gen Herd
What I liked: Very Amusing! Both authentic and tongue in cheek at the same time. I love doo wop and bubble gum and this solidly strikes that nerve, and then it zips off. Neato.
What I didn’t like:

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan
What I liked: A powerful opening that commands your attention. Beautiful guitar, the depth of it’s recording matches that of the vocals perfectly. Very deep and moving, does so much with just guitar and vocals. This is a real stand out not just for this fight but songfight in general.
What I didn’t like:

Song Fight Orchestra
What I liked: A playful patchwork of sounds from the sixties. Appears that CCS pulled all the stops for SFO. Wish I could abbreviate more things in that sentence.
What I didn’t like: I know it’s not an option for SFO entries but I really wish it were longer and it’s individual parts had more time to do their thing, as it is it’s too jumbled and mashed to make a memorable impression.

Ting Pong Garcia
What I liked: Quality mixing and recording. I like how the vocals have a somewhat subtle nature but are still strong.
What I didn’t like: The laid back adult contemporary vibe of the instrumentation creates an immediate tune out. Take more chances, the whole song could have been crazier and more unpredictable than the last minute (which I feel was the best part) and it would have a much stronger feel.

The Twenty-Fives
What I liked: Hee hee, push the record button and then run get your guitar. I like the drunk drummer.
What I didn’t like: Oh, songfight already has enough sensitive male vocalists. Try screaming, songfight needs more screaming. Also, recording equipment? This completely lacks the charm of college radio low-fi masters like Beck and Sebadoh, it just sounds crappily recorded.

Where’s Fluff?
What I liked: Guitar is recorded well.
What I didn’t like: Voice is not, maybe due to the fact that the mic is up next to your mouth but you’re singing through your nose. Too many flat notes and way, WAY too long.

WreckdoM
What I liked: I’m proud of the talky part first and last sentences that have good jokes and accurate comedic timing.
What I didn’t like: I wish my voice could add more authenticity to this tune, but alas, I cannot sing.

Definitely voting Pistolero&Morbid Morgan this time, although it would have been Liechty otherwise.

A lot has been said in this thread about reviewing and responding etiquette. Please understand that if I fail to review or respond to your review it is not meant to be direspectful. I'm frequently absent from the boards partly out of being lazy but mostly due to the fact that posting on message boards does not come naturally to me. Like most social situations, I often find it awkward or intimidating. I'm making an effort to be better about that, starting now...
Southwest_Statistic wrote: This is non-reviewable Bantha Foodoo, simply due to the fact that I know zero effort is being put into anything.
I understand if you didn't like it, but we did, in fact, put a lot of time and energy into our song.
Leaf wrote: STOP IT YOU BASTARDS!!! STOP PROVING YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
Relax sir, let me reassure you we most certainly do not know two things about anything.
WeaselSlayer wrote: This kind of reminds me of Jon Wayne's "Texas Funeral" only brighter. I fuckin love that and this song.
Thanks man! I fucking love that whole album! This comment has me grinnin' like a mule eatin' garlic, now stop trying to get a hold of my mojasha.
EightLeggedOedipus wrote: I don't even see what about this one was supposed to be funny?
Just so you know we're not always trying to be funny. We were here, though. Oh well.
Morbid Morgan wrote: ... loved the dig on the bewells.
There wasn't any intended dig on the bewells. I'm not sure what you're refering to.
Poor June wrote: gotta admit i like y'alls crazy stuff
Thank you much, I think we're at the point where we try to take turns between our "straighter" and "crazier" submissions.

There, that wasn't so bad, except that I sound like a pompous ass.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber