993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999... (1000 Words Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

The Twenty-Five wrote:So it's pretty obvious that everyone thinks my song was crap, which doesn't lend my opinion great weight, and I don't feel like I've got that much to say, but I'll take a shot at this review thing:
Everyone's opinion carries weight here. Good reviews.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Edge of LA wrote:"Cloud None" Possible songfight title for next week?

I think I want to add a signature line. Can I use this, Jim?
"H" is for the sound you make when you're outside in the falling snow and you want to see your breeeeeaaaaaaath
I'd be honored
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Niv's Review Paragraph.

I actually made a song for this fight but passed on entering it so I can focus on New Zero Music, my new website. Good thing. This fight is very cluttered. OK, First- Woodward. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn. Amelia's gone up in the down. Yuck. This is the worst Woodward song ever. Sorry if that was harsh but I loathed that and Woodward is usually much much better than that. Next. For a sec, I thought Systik had come back, but I see it's Wreckdom. Country Wreckdom, odd and unsatisfying. Next, Idiot Kings. I'm always 50-50 on IK songs. Excellent sound, great style but I always feel like there's something missing. No hook perhaps. But this is better than anything they released in 04. Frontrunner, for now. Next. Justin T. Arthur. Hexadecimal, huh. OK. That didn't work. Next. Nex-Gen Herd. Barbershop about essaywriting. Short but at least the harmonies were tight. Oh damn, Ants and SFO are in this fight too. I do not foresee myself enjoying the rest of this fight much. I'm already in a surly mood. Next, the 25s. I could give this a chance if it weren't for the fact that the drumming was so unsteady, especially when it was so upfront in the mix. Ooh, wait it was mercifully short. Next, Ting Pong Garcia. Thank goodness. This fight needed a good enema. Easily the new frontrunner. Great sound. I like the aggressive breaks and the powerful bridge. The song runs long but it's pretty good. Next. Almost a Redcar. Slow start to this one. I started digging it once it hit the bridge and that solo is very interesting. But I have to file that under too little too late. Hey, it's CCS! Wait, it's SFO. Oh, that's gonna screw up the flow. But I like it more than any other SFO song/bit/whatever. Next. Half the Likely Lads. It's Gareth. It's an ok song but nothing to write home about. I really wanted a build in that song. I wanted the drums or guitar to slowly grow to fierce proportions, instead it stayed very tame all the way through. Next. Where's Fluff. Seemingly not sleeping. G^2 stuff. Y'know I dig it. Some sour notes there and this would work with some more feeling behind it. That's what happens when you record sleep deprived. Record it again with some more energy and it'll work. Next. Coin percussion. Rock! Yeah! If you see the Bite Size fight, I made the remark that sometimes I love Luke Henley songs and other times I wanna bury them. This is love. Frontrunner! Screaming! Coins! Ahhhhh! Ahhhh!! Good stuff! Next. Ants. Ugh. Wait, it's over a minute. Oh crap, It's not bad. OK, Jim of Seattle take note of this moment because I don't say it to you often- Jim, I like your song. Next. Ben Wong. Guitars too far forward. Vocals are a loss. Not enjoying the guitars. I give up. Last song. Pistolero. Country Fried. OK. Nothing spectacular. Didn't hold my attention very well. Vote time! Vote goes to Luke Henley. #2 to Ting-Pong Garcia. #3 to Idiot Kings. One more fight to listen to. And off I go.
Last edited by Niveous on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Dear Niveous,

We'd be able to actually read your reviews if you'd use separate paragraphs. Could you at least boldface the artist names, if you really want to do the stylistic "review paragraph" thing?

Love,
fluffy
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Edited for Fluffy with love.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Leaf wrote:reviews -1
Leafy, baby, you left out one of the songs this week in your reviewage of this fight...

/public service message
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

Review time...

In the spirit of this thread, if I haven't been articulate enough let me know and I'll elaborate.

Ants (Invisible)
- I like how your songs grow and don't blow their load in the first 2 measures. This was good, too mellow for my taste.

Ben Wong
- The vibrato thing was too much for me. Seems like it could be better with something not vibrato'ed, even if just a handclap (I'm really hearing handclap for some reason.)

Gareth Duncan
- It's a song, a good song, that sounds like a lot of other songs.

TheHipTripper
- This is good, only points against is that it's so good the slight voice "off-ness" shows. I'd like to hear the vocals perfectly syncopated. I LIKE THAT LINE - "had 1000 words to say, now it's only two". REALLY LIKE THAT LINE!!!!!!!

The Idiot Kings
- Very drab sounding, lost the voice in the chorus. Cure pisses me off, so It's good, not my cupotea.

Josh Woodward
- This is well done. Nice dynamics. Nice harmonies. Not my cupotea.

***I took a break from reviews, came back salty.***

SFO
- Batman! This is a good chunk... This project reminds me of an audio version of this project — http://www.anexquisitecorpse.net

The Twentyfives
- Hmpf... sing like you have balls, drum like you have rhythm, mix like you have ears. It is an OK song though, you may want to practice long and hard with a metronome to get the rhythm tight. As for the singing, you could try and autotune the vocals (but i suspect they may be a bit too far out, something like melodyne may work better), then sing along with the pitch-corrected vocals, or play the melody line on a guitar or piano and sign along with that until you get confident on where the notes should be. Good effort.

Where's Fluff
- 4am, I think your voice fell asleep. Joking, but the vocals are a bit all over the place for me.

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan
- Great voice, good down-home feel. I like this one alot, may get my vote.

Next Generation Herd
- Vocals are right on, but I don't like do-wop

Wreckdom
- This reminded me of Beck. This probably the best I've heard from you.

Luke Henly
- Screamin', full steemin. Dug it for the 1st 2/3rds, the end was a trite much. I'm a sucker for the Modest Mouse screamin, and you do it well. Just too much.

Justin Arthur
- Geek love. Sounds like something a corny, middle-aged computer programmer would sing for his wife. It's very cute, nothing I'd tune into though.

ROK. Like this guy: http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/ ... _keyid=409

He's my hero.

Vote goes to Pistolero.[/url]
BUTTZ?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Leaf wrote:reviews -1
Leafy, baby, you left out one of the songs this week in your reviewage of this fight...

/public service message
Damn. Which one?

I'll review it this evening....(once either a) or b) happens....)

a) tell me
b) figure it out myself.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

ants(invisible): it has a nice groove... but i guess i don't really dig it too much... just not my style... but... regardless of what some say... you have an incredible voice... and probably should be singing for some big band... you have shit loads of ability... and are always in tune... you're really great man... honestly think you could probably put out a kick ass CD...
contender... (sort of agree with the abrupt ending... but it wasn't near as abrupt as i thought it'd be by the other reviews)...

ben wong: that effect... i don't know exactly it is... kinda bugs me... you sound like you may have a nice voice... but it's burried under that horrid effect... but i guess i can understand if it's under a shitty equipment problem... but all and all... this has promise... and you should keep it up... eventually you'll most likely spit out somethin' great...
kind of reminds me of AFI for some odd reason... mostly vocally speaking

gareth duncan: the beginning riff... some of the bends either bend too much a too little... work on that a bit... but not a bad riff... if it wasn't for that...
this is pretty good... some of the lyrics aren't really understandable how you annunciate... but i like how you sing... maybe would like it more... if it was brought up just a lil' louder in the mix... and maybe had some harmonies at parts... specially with the beat bein' that way... is screamin' for harmony... really isn't a bad song at all... but it has some off spots... that kinda loose points... and it kinda carries... all and all not bad... but not awesome... imbetween... 'is relistenable'

thehiptripper:... all and all i kinda dig the music... it's really good turned up loud... but the vocal effect would've been better if it eventually cut out completely... cause that effect grows really tiring... right after the bridge i wanted to hear louder... but cleaner vox... and it never happens... kinda put me off... cause you have a great voice... but it's just ruined... it makes me loose interest fast... great production... great music... poor choice to keep the vocal effect on... (cool guitar riffing) (really great music... i just can't vote for it... for the vocal effect... ruined the song for me...)

idiot kings: this is really cool... has the norm idiot king feel to it... (the thousand words could never describe... i came close to using that line in the song i wrote for the fight... but ran out of time to record vox)... anyways this is really good song... and all and all is pretty listenable... i guess one of my few dislikes right now... is mostly that the vocals get kinda burried at parts... you have such a mellow voice... which i love... but it's just so quiet... for some parts of the song... durin' like the breakout... it just completely burries 'em... really dig the mellowed out guitar riff... real pretty clean riff... works wonders in the song... all and all really great song... wished i could've heard the clean guitar a lil' bit more... cause i thought it mixed really well with the muted distorted guitar... (not big on the outro...)... great stuff man... contender

josh woodward: honestly i've listened to this once before... AWESOME guitar playing man... not really your strongest song overall... and i don't really feel the lyrics alot... but only because... i've never been in a high money... rich sort of way... but... i love that one line 'i painted her from memory with flowers in her hair... i captured each freckle on this bumpy canvas square... but we all know what this picture is worth... it's a thousand words that she never heard, cause i threw it away'...
that made all the rich talk go away... that was an amazing line...
even though it's not that strongest song of yours... so far it's the strongest in the fight... and i really dig that line... and the guitar playing is great... and flows really nicely... probable vote unless something really blows me away...

justintauthur: the vocals kinda instantly turn me off... and the lyrics i don't really get... kinda make me go... what?...
the music isn't exceptionally that well either... uhm... turn off at 1:14... work on your craft...

i'll finish the rest later... nicely interrupted
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

i dont know why the fightmaster didnt respond to my email
looks like i wont be in the fight. oh well - ill try again later.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Man, I don't get that. I 'm assuming it's supposed to be bitterly funny or somesuch angle.... hhmmm.

Ok, I didn't have the time to b), still waiting for Rabid to give me a) so I can c).

dum de dum de dum. twiddle twiddle.

C'mon!!! There might be a peach in it for ya!
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

Leaf wrote:Ok, I didn't have the time to b), still waiting for Rabid to give me a) so I can c).
Since RG is probably hung over or something, I'll field this one: you still need to review the Pistolero/Morbid track. Morbid is Rabid's (to borrow some Dilbert lingo) cow-orker.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Ants (Invisible)
+++ Wow, Jim, once that keyboard comes in, I think you've got the vote again this week +++
--- Although it kind of goes on and on and on and on ---
/// I think i prefer being tesaed by the short piece ///

Ben Wong
+++ i actually kind of like the flanger/phaser soudn here, it has a reversed sound to it +++
--- Your vocals might be acceptable for a noisy punk track, but you put yourself in a different standard when you attempt GnG. Either consider instrumentation or a new condenser mic and some vocal lessos ---

Gareth Duncan
--- karaoke night! ---
+++ Iliek when the little ska guitar comes in. +++
/// I'll bet you're a bass player by trade. i think we're like, all bass players on this site. ///

The HipTripper
+++ After the first verse we get a little NIN from the pretty hate machine era. nice +++
/// Fun vocals. You're not taking yourself too seriously, but you've got a lot of nice ornament to it. ///
--- The whole thing lacks a little punch some where. I'm thinking every fourth measure there out to be a nice loud sampled snare rush, or some other burst of sound. the whole drum track sounds really compressed or just no velocity changes. ---

The Idiot Kings
+++ Nice chorus part. Good dynamic shift +++
/// Vocals are a little pansy-emo-meets-new-wave-goth but not a detractor ///
--- Ouch - the intonation on that line "fire that consume us alive" ---
+++ Ooh, i like when you cut back to the bass+drum for a second before slamming the guitar in. +++

Josh Woodward
+++ It's Josh, so you know the guitar is going to be well-written, well-played, and well-recorded +++
--- Sounds liek the vocal take was done too early in the morning. i think this song would have sounded better if you'drecorded late in the evening after a whole lot of screaming, to loosen up your vocal cords and damage it a bit, and put a little mor elung in it. ---
///BTW, I got the CD shipped almost immediately, and it's really awesome. Thanks, man. Definitely worth the $7 ///

Justin T. Arthur
/// Cute lyrics ///
--- Crap production and performance. You might want to write lyrics andlet someone else recordthem. there are some folks on here who would love to work with you on that. ---
+++ Your name reminds me of the part in that James Kochalka song where they go "Justin Timberlake, Justin Timberlake, Justin Timber-Lay-ay-ay-ake" It's called Britney's Silver Can, and Kochalka is fucking awesome. +++

Liechty
+++ NES sample? +++
/// Decent beat ///
--- Lyrics might be cool and Itotally can't hear them through the boredom ---
+++ Cool scratch with the samples and then the keyboard part. +++
--- Wow long ---

Luke Henley
+++ Kick-ass cup of chnage and crack-out vocals +++
/// This has the total desperation that teh mars Volta seemed to be going for in that one song ///
--- I was actually hoping for some noise scape here, somewhere. maybe ten seconds of violence. ---

Nex-Gen Herd
/// decent harmonies ///

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan
+++ Wow, the voice and the bluesy slide are so working together. +++
--- Sounds liek the lyrics repeat a whole lot, even though they probably don't. This kind of songought to tell more of a story---

Song Fight Orchestra
+++ Carol Cleveland rocking th efucking track again! +++

Ting Pong Garcia
+++ Vocals sound a little like the Beta Band turn alterna-rock. Nice delayed guitar noodle +++
--- bass sounds loud and boomy, but the whole track still seems to lack something in the lower-mid range.Also chorus just doesn't really grab, needs a new change. ---
/// Those drums are probably programmed, but they're good enough that I can't tell for sure. it could just be a session player with no character. ///

The Twenty-Fives
--- Wow, we missed that kindergarten class where they broke out the maracas and the clave and cowbell and taught everyone about rhythm. ---

Where's Fluff?
--- Unnecessary intro ---
/// Decent guitar chords ///
/// I mentioned somewhere else about the singing standard on GnG. You're not even close! I can't tellif more inclined to insult you till thesong is over, or justskip tothe next one. Wow. It really shoudl have finished by now. This is one of those where you really should have listened to it befoe submitting. I mean, damn, if you were out in Santa Monica people would throw stuff at you. Seriously. What note are you singing? ///
+++ oh thank God it's over +++

WreckdoM
--- Not big on this one ---
/// I've liked a couple things byyou guys, like Red Skates and Aspartame. I don't even see what about this one was supposed to be funny? ///

Big fight. Lots of Good, quite a bit of bad.
Tops CCS (SFO), HipTrip, Josh, Jim (Ants), Luke.
Dunno, I hate to play favorites, but Carol Cleveland knocked my socks off again, and continued the outstanding tradition now layed out for SFO.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Albatross wrote:Since RG is probably hung over or something, I'll field this one: you still need to review the Pistolero/Morbid track.
What he said... though actually it's more being bumped temporarily from night shift to day shift which has me more retardedalized than you can possibly imagine. Not that I'm not a little hung over too... got to hear some Twisted Sister at the bar again, heh.

Peaches? In a can, or pie?
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

8L0:

Thanks for the reviews...but what is up with the formatting?
///--##Is there some significance to the pre- and -post line symbolation?##--\\\

;)

Cheers!
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Albatross wrote:Since RG is probably hung over or something, I'll field this one: you still need to review the Pistolero/Morbid track.
What he said... though actually it's more being bumped temporarily from night shift to day shift which has me more retardedalized than you can possibly imagine. Not that I'm not a little hung over too... got to hear some Twisted Sister at the bar again, heh.

Peaches? In a can, or pie?

Ok, I'll get on that one tonight.... I hope!!!

Seacrest out.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

TheHipCola wrote:8L0:

Thanks for the reviews...but what is up with the formatting?
///--##Is there some significance to the pre- and -post line symbolation?##--\\\
http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtop ... 7966#17966

these have been going on for months, where have you been?
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

huh? what do you mean where have I been? right here man. same place every day...

ok, so I missed that review... :roll: , and maybe others that were done like that... i was just curious if there was some significance to the "operators" or are they just there to look nice? it wasn't a dig at the style, just wanted to know more about it. thanks for pointing out how so 'out' I really am....

:)
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

ok, so I missed that review... , and maybe others that were done like that... i was just curious if there was some significance to the "operators" or are they just there to look nice? it wasn't a dig at the style, just wanted to know more about it. thanks for pointing out how so 'out' I really am...
I've been trying to figure that out myself, for weeks. Here's what I think it means...

+++ means good shit
/// means divided, kinda good, kinda sucks
--- means not diggin this aspect of the song
BUTTZ?
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

TheHipCola wrote:huh? what do you mean where have I been? right here man. same place every day...

ok, so I missed that review... :roll: , and maybe others that were done like that... i was just curious if there was some significance to the "operators" or are they just there to look nice? it wasn't a dig at the style, just wanted to know more about it. thanks for pointing out how so 'out' I really am....

AH HA!!

The Hip Cola is out!!! I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!!!! .......

sweetie.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

heh. yah, out and DUMB. Johnny Sonic, I think you got it....

wow...baby brain for sure. duh.

EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Yeah,

+++ --- ///
Positive, negative, divided.

I was hoping it would clarify the meaning of sentence fragments and comparisons. Apparently it just confused a lot of people. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop.

QUIZ:

Translate each of the following statements into constructive criticism:

a)
+++ cowbell +++

b)
--- cowbell ---

c)
/// cowbell ///