Who Said the Review Thread is Dead? (Who Said I'm Dead Rvws)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: FLStudio, Guitar, Harmonica, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: FLStudio, Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Sony and a PC
Submitting as: EggNogAdam

Re: Who Said the Review Thread is Dead? (Who Said I'm Dead Rvws)

Post by eggnogadam »

Spintown wrote:
EggNogAdam - Meant to be funny...wasn't. First line kinda sucked.

HAHAHAHA!! I almost made the whole song that way! hahahahaha. I kind of wish I had so that I could give myself credit for the worst lyrical construction in history. I still have time. Maybe I can do it to some other song.
AJOwens wrote:eggnogadam -- The postscript is a good capper.
Too Right! If you don't hear the last stupid line of this song then I think the effect is lost (not that it's of much note to begin with).

I had so much fun constructing the ridiculous fight scene that I couldn't stop giggling for the whole day after that. So stupid. Awesome!'

thanks for the rad comments!
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

dirgetheband wrote:Lake City – This is a cute tune. The guitar tone (or lack thereof) is so glaring. It sounds like it was recorded direct – and that’s it.
AJOwens wrote: I assume you're not trying for a production prize
Spintown wrote:Lake City - Music was dull.
This was just some scratch tracks edited into a song. Evidently I've gotten so blase' as to not even notice that the speaker emulator was turned off on my Yamaha pre -- and miking an amp wasn't an option at the time. Should have re-amped. I am duly chagrined.
eggnogadam wrote:Is this a guitar with at least one humbucker, like a Dot or a Paul or a Fat Strat?
Dr. Water was playing my modified '77 Telecaster HH -- the SD '59 at the neck.

Thanks for the reviews.
Enter a song? Review songs!
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

Stubby Phillips wrote: Dr. Water was playing my modified '77 Telecaster HH -- the SD '59 at the neck.
That sounds wicked! keep it up!

oh yea, and your avatar is hilarious!!
longfellowstreet
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Acoustic guitar, elect gtr, elec bass, upright elec bass, ukelele, whatever else...
Recording Method: Logic, Mackie Onyx 1640i, Røde, AKG, AT, Shure mics.
Submitting as: Longfellow Street

Post by longfellowstreet »

Dirge
Pros: Epic guitars. Solo sounds great, sits just right in the mix. Good tone. Song is fine, basically mellow and inoffensive. FX on the vocals and guitars is just right. I'd like to stand there and listen to this in a club, slowly banging my head with my hair in my face, coffee in one hand, slowly smoldering smoke in the other.
Cons: Drums aren't anywhere near epic enough to keep up with guitars. Vocals are smeared somewhere in the middle, heavy on the low-mids, hard to hear in the mix. They seem to be spread slightly in the stereo spectrum, which blurs them into the hard-panned guitar. This song would be great if it was mixed more like a real band would sound playing in the room you're in, with the vocals right up the middle and EQ'd with more highs and high-mids.

TOSHIRO
Pros: Dig the dub delays. Dig the intro part the most of the song, cool using it as outro as well. Dynamics are good, dig the fact that the song changes after the intro, but transition was awkward. Oh, changed again. Cool. Likin' the ideas. Great ideas, parts are well put together.
Cons: Kick-ass intro until the song suddenly drops the groove it was building so weak vocals could come in. Why? Like someone mentioned earlier, the guitar suddenly has heavy tremolo when it should be powerful and clean-edged, very present and driving. Feel kept changing around, as if players were hunting rhythms together.

Darin
Pros: Flight Of The Conchords! :) I like the sequenced burbling in the left speaker. I like the sentiment behind the lyrics, good attitude. I'm enjoying what you're reaching for. Quirky fun.
Cons: Needs more of a sense of space, it's a good mix but still doesn't quite make the mood the song seems to be reaching for. Seems like I'm sitting right next to the musicians when what I'm seeing in my head is hearing this from the big speakers across the party, while I'm tryin' to mack on the hottie sitting on the couch next to me. Yeahhhhh.... ok, I know that's being pretty damn picky, but it's where my head went.

Berkeley Social Scene
Pros: Eeek, I'm a teenager in the late eighties again! ARARGHGH I'm trapped in front of 120 Minutes! I... can't.... moooove... ok, this isn't really slotted into any one particular era, there's bits of all sorts of stuff in here. It's guitar rock with synths, and I like that just fine. It sounds real to me. I dig it. Love the "Not dead yet!" holler. Vote.
Cons: The vocals are great except for the 2nd part of the chorus where you reach for a note and just don't hit it. Other than that I have no complaints. The intro synth line totally reminds me of a song I listened to back in the day, and it's kinda making my brain itch. I anticipate waking up at 3am screaming "The Bolshoi! It was The Bolshoi!!" or something.

Nurvuss
Pros: The telephone ringing totally messed with my head. I love it. Lyrics are hilarious. It was Jasper, by the way. Javier told Mallory.
Cons: This whole thing is fun, for all I know it's a perfect representation of a whole new genre that the kids these days will just love. I could rip apart the production and give mixing and recording advice, but why?? Vote

DJ Ranger Den
Pros: It's cute.
Cons: Folks have already commented on the muffled guitar.

Sanity
Pros: Syth solo is cool with the portamento, whatever you call that on a synth.
Cons: Ow! Tweak that snare sample. Turn it down, drop the highs, slow it down, add reverb, something. I can't think of anything but the snare and the vocals out of tune with the song and each other. Ow.

Secret Submarine
Pros: I immediately thought of 88 Lines About 44 Women by The Nails. What's the percussive thing going in the left channel? Pan flute? Thumb piano? Tuned wooden blocks? I love it when the Oompa-Loompas say "Who said it, who said it?" Harmonies are really nice. This is my fave so far.
Cons: The end dragged out.

The Panna Cotta Army
Pros: This is great. I just... like it.
Cons: Is this a band? One person? Really well put together sequences from a sample library? Is that a stupid question? Is asking if that's a stupid question a stupid question?

EggNogAdam
Pros: Great feel. I like a story that tells a story.
Cons: The guitar and bass are out of town. Vocals are thin and nasal.

James Owens
Pros: You sound like Chet Atkins doin' Johnny Cash singing a Shel Silverstein song! This is great, and so right up our alley. We even used the same "Who said I'm dead/Who said I'm gone" as the beginnings of our chorus. The Chet Atkins thing goes for the vocal delivery and the guitar playin' too, it's a bit fancier than Luther usually attempted. "They say they got more virgins in heaven than cans of coke at the seven-eleven" hehehe!
Cons: None, yo, this is great. Vote.

King Arthur
Pros: Boppy and Shakedown-street Grateful Dead-ey. Harmonies sound just like Bob and Jerry.
Cons: The mid-heavy guitar in the right channel gets old really fast, it's aurally tiring. Also, it sounds like the Grateful Dead. ;)

Integration Test
Pros: New Order!!! With Ian from Stone Roses on vocals. Everyone was talking about this being a country-heavy songfight, but for me it's 80's-90's alt-pop.
Cons: The bass reminds me of a puppy trying to keep up... endearingly so. :) OW that guitar solo hurts. Turn it down and add some delay, it'd be fine.

Jelizaboaz
Pros: Immediately likin' the chord progression. I like a fuzzy guitar over acoustic guitar, so I'm likin' this.
Cons: Put a pop filter on that mic. This would sound cool with someone whackin' brushes on a snare and a bass guitar. It's a little anemic as is.

Community Payback
Pros:
Cons: This has no redeeming social value. This collection of noise, labelled as "music", has been officially declared a threat to The State. Your family will be rounded up for re-education.

Hey it's Romer
Pros: Wow, Ultima III never sounded so hip-hoppy. Pretty well put together. I love the squishy bass and occasional puppy bark.
Cons: Playing a Commodore 64 on stage just looks silly. Vocals are distorting and plosives are popping. Either fix that or really jack the effect. :)

Tibor
Pros: Beautiful spacious music. Excellent production, some of the best of the fight. song is elegant and mix has wonderful space. Vocal fx are spot-on.
Cons: Vocals are weak. Production otherwise is so excellent that they unfortunately stand out.

Lake City
Pros: You love Aimee Mann! Vocals are stand-out in this piece.
Cons: guitars are whumpy, wimpy, thin and out of time. Drums out of time. Distracting from competent and pleasing vocals.

That Guy
Pros: I hated it so much when it started that I fell in love with it as soon as the chorus started. NOW it makes sense. The creepy minstrel thing is working great.
Cons: The intro vocals are pretty horrible. But as mentioned above, that sort of makes it work. Pitch dynamics! Once the chorus kicked in I find myself liking this a lot. Oddball = interesting. Interesting = good.

Longfellow Street
Does anyone want to read production notes here? I always want to hear about how others put their songs together.

James Owens mentioned the mysterious woodblocks... those were Mallory banging on three whiskey bottles with various levels of water and Cody playing a plastic mop bucket, a dombek, stompin on the floor of my house and steppin on a tambourine under a towel on the floor. Each person wrote and sang their own verse, everyone sang on the choruses. I played bass (Ergo electric upright, love that thing, http://www.ergoinstruments.com), elec guitar with tremolo, electric guitar with fuzz & reverse delay, acoustic guitar and Lester The Spinet Piano.

The four of us got together for a songwriting party, to drink beers, try to come up with something simple we could write and track in one night. It wasn't working very well. Mallory snuck off and checked Songfight, and things went pretty quickly after that. We play what I guess you could call contemporary roots music... americana... alt-country... whatever... so doing the Johnny Cash thing came naturally when we wanted something as simple as possible. Two chord verse, three chord chorus, let's go! Kim was the first one to write her verse, so when she sang it to us she kinda set the melody. After that everyone had something to shoot at, and we all mangled the melody freely to whatever we wanted. We didn't try to lock all four of us down to any harmony parts, I just layered on all of us singing something that mostly fit around one mic, and a few more passes of just the girls, cause, you know, they can sing. They got inspired (or pushed each other!) for the bits at the end. The big chord there is about seven passes on Lester The Spinet Piano, hitting the very biggest Aminor chord I could, ten fingers at a time, from one end of the keyboard to the other.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Yet more reviews -

King Arthur: Good hooks and chord structure, and good playing. 1966 vibe. Sounds like the early Guess Who covering the late Buddy Holly. Solid performance. Possible vote.

Jelizaboaz: Good lyric, competently sung, and good playing -- but it sounds like 1 or 2 other instrumental tracks weren't good enough, so you just left them out. Too much space. I'm a little concerned.

Longfellow Street: Sounds live. Ambient hits are cool. Everything's tight. I think the percussion is the best thing about this song -- reminds me of Fleetwood Mac -- but it's all good. Vote

Nurvuss: Wait -- don't answer that phone! I like the keys better than the vox. Sounds like you were hanging upside down when you sang this -- in which case, good job. Sorry -- not into it.

EggNogAdam: Kinda funny, in a strange way. The vocals are crisp and bright, and the instruments are muddy and dark. It's also so campy that it's a little disturbing. I grow more concerned...
Enter a song? Review songs!
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

longfellowstreet wrote:The Panna Cotta Army
Is this a band? One person?
It's just me, myself and I
longfellowstreet wrote:The Panna Cotta Army
Really well put together sequences from a sample library?
The guitars are recorded live - acoustic rhythm via mic and the solo via my Vox Tonelab (though not all in one take). All vocals are me and of course recorded live. The acoustic bass is from the Kontakt sample library, the piano is a freebie soundfont and the drums are EZ Drummer - all recorded via midi keyboard.
dirgetheband
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Dell XPS 630, M-Audio Delta 66/44, Tascam 488 & 424
Submitting as: Dirge
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by dirgetheband »

longfellowstreet wrote:Dirge
Pros: Epic guitars. Solo sounds great, sits just right in the mix. Good tone. Song is fine, basically mellow and inoffensive. FX on the vocals and guitars is just right. I'd like to stand there and listen to this in a club, slowly banging my head with my hair in my face, coffee in one hand, slowly smoldering smoke in the other.
Cons: Drums aren't anywhere near epic enough to keep up with guitars. Vocals are smeared somewhere in the middle, heavy on the low-mids, hard to hear in the mix. They seem to be spread slightly in the stereo spectrum, which blurs them into the hard-panned guitar. This song would be great if it was mixed more like a real band would sound playing in the room you're in, with the vocals right up the middle and EQ'd with more highs and high-mids..
Thanks. You're right about the vocals. I usually triple track vocals, pan one up the middle, one hard left and one hard right. Maybe I should just try running them down the middle. Makes sense, don't know why I never thought about it before. Also applied a flanger-ish effect that might have contributed to the blurriness. I'm going to have to play with the drums a bit. Steven Slate Drums - great, great sounding program, but so many knobs and sliders. Makes my eyes cross.
longfellowstreet wrote:Does anyone want to read production notes here? I always want to hear about how others put their songs together..
Absolutely!
longfellowstreet wrote:The four of us got together for a songwriting party, to drink beers, try to come up with something simple we could write and track in one night.
Sounds like a blast. Your's was probably the best all-around submission this Fight. Two geek-related questions:
1.What do you guys track with?
2.Is your space "treated?" It sounds really, really clean.
DT
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

Stubby Phillips wrote: EggNogAdam: Kinda funny, in a strange way. The vocals are crisp and bright, and the instruments are muddy and dark. It's also so campy that it's a little disturbing. I grow more concerned...
Hahahahahahahahaha! I love it!

LongFellow Street - I agree, man. hahaha. thanks.

J OWENS !! I DLed your track and listened to it at work and no less than 3 people came by with comments like "Oh yea, this is one of my favorites." One coworker even stood there and tapped his toes for a whole verse and sort of mouthed the lyrics (which she obviously didn't know). I just let them think their own thing. Hilarious! Thought you'd like to know!
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

eggnogadam wrote: J OWENS !! I DLed your track and listened to it at work and no less than 3 people came by with comments like "Oh yea, this is one of my favorites." One coworker even stood there and tapped his toes for a whole verse and sort of mouthed the lyrics (which she obviously didn't know). I just let them think their own thing. Hilarious! Thought you'd like to know!
So you're saying they thought it was an actual Johnny Cash song? That is pretty funny.

And you didn't say anything? I like your sense of humour!
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

longfellowstreet wrote: "They say they got more virgins in heaven than cans of coke at the seven-eleven" hehehe!
I was afraid the whole Cash thing was making people miss the lyrics. That line is my favourite. Thanks!
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

AJOwens wrote: So you're saying they thought it was an actual Johnny Cash song? That is pretty funny.
And you didn't say anything? I like your sense of humour!
Yes, she was singing along to god-knows-what and then I guess when she realized she was full of it (or saw something shiny down the hall) she just left. hahaha. so great. I'll be chuckling about that all week now.
longfellowstreet
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Acoustic guitar, elect gtr, elec bass, upright elec bass, ukelele, whatever else...
Recording Method: Logic, Mackie Onyx 1640i, Røde, AKG, AT, Shure mics.
Submitting as: Longfellow Street

Post by longfellowstreet »

Sounds like a blast. Your's was probably the best all-around submission this Fight. Two geek-related questions:
1.What do you guys track with?
2.Is your space "treated?" It sounds really, really clean.
Thank you, very much. It was a good time, def a blast. Kudos to the kids who came over for working through some of the parts that were, you know, work. I like Songfight deadline - musicians on the whole will worry and worry and worry about their part, it rarely sounds right to yourself at first, especially if you're multi-tracking and the rest of the production isn't there yet. I like being able to say "Dude, that rocks, it's great, I love it. Yeah, it could be reworked. Nope, no time! This thing's due Wednesday morning, just be happy we're in Eastern time and they're Pacific. Next!" This one moved pretty quickly once it got going. All hail the songwritin' style of JR Cash. Anyone here ever heard the song Highwayman? ;)

1. Software is Logic Pro 9 on an aluminuminum iMac. Interface is a Mackie Onyx 1640i. Mics used are Rode K2 tube large diaphragm condenser (vox, percussion, ac gtr), AT 2035 LDC (piano), Shure SM57 (guitars). Acoustic guitar is a Alvarez Yairi dreadnought. Electric is a Ibanez Artcore hollowbody. Blues Jr tube amp, Boss ME50 for the reverse delay and tremolo. Bass is an Ergo EUB4 electric upright. Piano is a Lester spinet from the 1950's.

2. In my previous studio, I had so much acoustic treatment up the space was freakin' dead. It was almost creepy to hang out in there. However, it had the benefit of being almost soundproofed, in a quiet neighborhood. Ultimately I hated the space, never could get the "real" sound I wanted. I'm not a fan of sterile recordings. My space now is the living-room/dining-room of my house. By itself, with no treatment, it was acoustically pleasing - the house is a 1927 bungalow with hardwood floors (under thin carpet, sadly) and high ceilings. I first put up bass traps and acoustic foam behind my speakers and at first reflection points. Slowly added small panels of Auralex acoustic foam to the walls, but left plenty of space between the tiles. I stopped when the room began to sound controlled, but still pretty live. There are LENRD bass traps in the corners of the room. Would you believe a neighbor gave me 16 of the things? They had moved into the house and the previous owner had totally covered the walls of the two upstairs rooms in acoustic treatment. Those rooms because the teenage boy's bedrooms, and they promptly ripped all the foam off the walls, chunk by chunk. The bass traps were saved and given to me. They cost about $50 each... you do the math. I recently added two more of those to the ceiling/wall join directly above my mixing position and on the wall behind, and now I've got a better grip on lows than I've been able to get yet. So yep, it's treated, but not over-treated. Taken me a LONG time to figure out a decent approach to this, but I'm pretty happy with it now. I wish the big trucks didn't drive by so often. I wish I had a control room.

Random note: my first Songfight ("I'm With Steve Now", as Gyre Feat. Miss Emma Lee, like eight years ago?) is a staple of our band's set whenever Mallory's in town. We did it at the gig last night. It has evolved into a smokey blues/jazz piece - with pedal steel guitar no less! and Mal tears it UP. Mallory and I play two of our Songfight entries whenever we gig as a duo, What Kind Of Love Are You Looking For and You Believed It Yourself. This Songfight stuff crosses over, yo... out from the wilds of the Internet it came! Into our musical lives...
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Reviewed in random order, listed alphabetically. From the old guy who sounds like Jerry Garcia even when he's trying not to :-) First listen impressions, but I don't seem to change my mind very often after re-listening.

Having commented on the audacity spectrum analysis stuff in the prefight thread, I ran SAs on a lot of the songs this week and did a little EQ on some of them based on what I saw. For anybody who wants to mess with this stuff, select "log" display rather than "linear" - with "linear" most of what you're looking at is just the 5k+ sparkle, with "log" you can see what's going on in the more audible portion...

Berkeley Social Scene

Would like to hear that one-note synth thing widen out into some harmonies here and there. Liking the dynamic effect when it drops out here and there, liking that the fuzzy rhythm guitar drops out when that guitar plays lead. Second lead guitar, 2:30-ish or so, maybe bring it a bit more center when it takes focus and plays lead. Going back, I think I would just use that synth as a lead instrument, don't try to use it when what you really want is a pad kind of fill. I liked this one better than (whatever the last one of yours I reviewed was), liking the Zappa influences I'm hearing. Gave this a second listen to try to figure out if there's a specific story I'm supposed to be relating to... I'm having a hard time connecting it to the OBL story (I think it's the "I'd have thrown you a party" line making it hard to make that connection, but I have no evidence that's where you're trying to go... yeah, I'm thinking that it's the conflict between having "seen it on the TV" and the "thrown you a party" lines that is confusing me about this. Maybe the "party" line is more, umm, cynical? - than I'm taking it). Keeper and vote.

Community Payback

Ugh, not liking this from note 1, but I am an old guy... given that so much of what is going on is rhythm instruments, you need to have a stronger beat, have things happening on the beats or precisely off the beat. Thanks, but not my thing.

Darin(g Front)

I like the strong beat here (there were some tracks this week where the beat was all over the place). Some of that organ-y sound around 1:00 is putting out some harmonics that are...
weird... I think I just don't like that particular patch. I like what's being played, though, some cool chords there; has anybody else mentioned Steely Dan? I EQ'd down the stuff over 5k and that seemed to make the organ more listenable for me, so I think it was just some weird harmonics in the patch. It seemed to me like the metaphor of the song kept changing, and when we ended up at the end of the song talking about cards and "I'm gonna put it all down on one last bet" it kinda felt like you were bailing out on us in the middle of the story... if it
had been card playing all the way through, it might have felt more like "leaving us in suspense." Nicely recorded, keeper and vote.

Dirge

Like the two guitars out to the sides, they work well against each other. Nice lead riff at the start. The vocal seems very unethusiastic for this style of music, are you singing deliberately low so that you can go up an octave later on in the song? Lead guitar work is good. Overall volume is lower than most this week; I tried compressing the whole mix but was getting a lot of pumping sound, so I think it needs the individual instruments compressed in the mixing to get the whole level up - those guitars, since they're nicely separated, could be a lot louder and leave a nice little pocket in the middle for the vocal. Okay, given that you're NOT going to go up an octave with the vocals, this needs to be in a key about a 5th higher so that you're singing in a stronger part of your vocal range, and then sing with a lot more oomph.

DJ Ranger Den

Couple times when the melody goes up the voice doesn't go up quite as far. Ever consider using a pick rather than thumbstrumming on the guitar? I'm feeling like there's a story here but I'm not quite putting it together. Since the song is under three minutes as is, you might think about putting in some pauses here and there after strategically important verses, places where you want the listener to put things together mentally before going on. Not "let the guitar ring" pauses, just a bar of guitar here and there, keeping the rhythm going.

EggNogAdam

Interesting stuff going on with that guitar, but the bass seems like it needs to be more on the beat; since there aren't any drums, the bass is the default rhythm instrument, and it's not doing its job here for me. This really wants some jazz drum stuff going on. At 2:42... the bass is playing a minor scale, so when the acoustic guitar comes in on a major chord, that felt weird. And where did the electric guitar go to? It would be interesting to ADD the acoustic guitar, not just use it as a replacement... no, the guitar going out of tune isn't funny, and you shouldn't have kept it. And ya know what they say, "if you have to explain what your song is about, the song didn't do its job..."

Hey it's Romer

Can you make that synth melody thing quieter during the spoken bits? Are there two different people rapping here or are you patching together takes that don't sound quite like each other?

Integration Test

How 'bout spreading out the instruments across the stereo field? Even if there's only one guitar, put it to one a bit, put the bass to the other side and put the backing vocal kind of stuff over there. I can hear some vocal stuff happening out to the sides, but that rhythm guitar is so dominating in the middle. Would like to hear more dynamic variation throughout he song, back that guitar off or drop it out altogether for some parts of the song.

James Owens

Yeah, Johnny Cash lives! "A Boy Named Sue" Hmm, something going on here, with the rhythm guitar, I think... is there an echo on it that's not adjusted to the beat of the song? Or maybe it's the tremolo... something here is working against the rhythm of the song. Ending seems a little anticlimactic; repeat that last "Who said I'm gone?" a couple times and on the last one go UP to the 1 note rather than down to it (even though you're trying to do Johnny Cash). Nice take on the Osama bin Laden story without being obvious about it, I didn't make the connection 'til second listen, at which point the cleverness of the lines came out. Audacity suggested there was some lo-mid buildup around 400-600 hz, and EQing a little of that out seemed to me like it helped. Keeper and vote.

Jelizaboaz

I can hear the hiss come in when you unmute that lead guitar channel, and throughout the song. Not sure the lead guitar is contributing much to the song, maybe a second rhythm guitar capo'd up a fifth and spread stereo-wise would have been a better use of the track... with no drums or bass, that lead guitar may be too intrusive for its own good.

King Arthur

I think the un-sync'd echo on the organ was a tactical error; I should've worked out the delay for a quarter note at the tempo or not used the delay at all... I get the comment about the whole track sounding sort of uninspired and the drums not doing the interesting rhythms that the bass is doing - FYI, the way I record is to work up the drum part in Band In a Box and then record everything to that; I know that I need to listen to the BIAB drums and really hear what they're doing (and in cases like this, pick a more interesting style).

Lake City

First off, thank you for all the reviews, this week and weeks gone by... you're plugging those guitars directly into your soundcard, aren't you? If you can afford it, a Line 6 Pod or something like that will make an audible difference, even something used / lower end... something to buffer the guitar signal. Strumming guitar (and lead guitar) are kind of jerky rhythmically; I think this song could have used a drum machine, mixed low so as not to draw attention to itself, but something to give more of a beat to the song; congas don't do enough. Vocals are really nice, good singer. Lead guitar playing probably doesn't justify a solo as long as the one in here. Backing vocals are good.

I'm doing audacity spectrum analyses on all the songs this week, just to see if it helps... based on what I saw on yours, I applied some eq to boost from 1k-5k and then cut from 10k up... seemed like it made the guitars sound better, so maybe you can do something with that...

Longfellow Street

This is really, really good. Well written, performed, recorded. The girl singer is very good and the guy's voice is perfect for this character. Keeper and vote.

Nurvuss

Interesting organ chords at the start, though they don't set us up for the "song" that follows; for me, the "song" part is kind of disappointing after that intro. The rhyming is clever, all the name checks; I wonder whether "rapping" it would work better than trying to semi-sing it. This is, of course, the old guy speaking. On the "I said I'm dead" lines around 3:00 and after that, the voice falls behind the beat, not happying me. Wish the track on the song part had more variation to it, some instruments coming and going. Well produced and the voice I can listen to, but the song as a whole doesn't quite make "keeper" for me. On the phone call bit at the start, that "cartoon" voice is interesting, I would have liked to see that come back once or twice in the song, use it to lead into the verses or something... "yeah, but look right here, it sez you're dead" to lead into the "facebook" reference.

The Panna Cotta Army

I like the way this one jumps right into its style and rhythm from the first note. Some places where it sits on the same chord for three measures or so where it feels like me it should move around. The chorus-y bit never seems like it resolves back to the 1 chord, and for this style, it feels like it needs to. This is very cleverly crafted, although if it was mine I think I'd be feeling like it doesn't quite lead into "who says I'm dead?" Hmm, maybe it's just that word "So" - if the singer just said "who says I'm dead?" it would connect better for me than "so who said I'm dead?" Yeah, I just keep feeling like that "so" in there doesn't belong. Nonetheless, fun song, keeper and vote.

Sanity

The drum machine makes itself a little too obvious here; the guitars are drenched in reverb and the drums are pretty dry... which makes it sound like somebody playing guitar over a drum machine. No bass? Needs bass. The whole thing doesn't hold together rhythmically for me, especially the vocals. Speaking of the vocals, the octave-up voice doesn't help, it seems like it's consistently a bit flat of the main voice. I'd like to hear more expression in the main vocal and lose the octave-up. It felt to me like the same four chords over and over; the little changeup on the outro about 2:50 helped, you might think about sprinkling something like that throughout the song or changing up the chords here and there... back to the vocals, this just doesn't sound like the sort of singer that this guitar player would be working with, if that makes sense...

Secret Submarine

Suggestion, add just a little bit of silence at the start of the song so that it doesn't start playing while we're still releasing the mouse click on "play." Backing vocals are nicely done, and the organ-y sound that comes in on the chorus provides nice dynamics, tho' I'd probably like it better if it was centered with more reverb. The two-chord pattern gets a little boring, the instrumental break at 1:50 is nice, but by then I'm starting to weary. The spoken "who said it?" backing vocal thing feels out of rhythm every time it comes in... maybe if the "said" came right on the downbeat... hmm, looking at the audacity spectrum analysis, I'd expect this one to sound tinny (lots of stuff above 5k), but to my ears, it's kind of muddy, so it must be the drums contributing all that HF stuff...

That Guy

Doubling (tripling?) the vocal here isn't helping, I'd rather hear a single lead voice, even if it's a little quirky. When the accordion (?) comes in, the feel of the song changes from 6/4 to 3/4, and based on what I hear later in the song, I think it was supposed to be a 3/4 feel from the start... you might think about what you could do as an introduction to the song that would establish your 3/4 beat from the start, maybe just a guitar strum or something. The cat howling that starts about 2:40 isn't helping either. I dunno, it feels to me like this might have been more effective as just one guitar and one voice.

Tibor

Like the guitar intro, although it feels a little rough rhythmically. Like "I'm not done yet..." The "running on..." part is a bit weird lyrically, I kept hearing you say "Ronnie Howard," which made me think this was about child actors who manage to make something of themselves in the movie biz, who don't just fade away. Overall, I liked this, this is something I'd listen to again, so, keeper and vote...

TOSHIRO

Okay, like the guitar stuff on the intro with the timed echo. Hearing a lot of Who here (I watched a documentary about them yesterday). "We get along so fine" line seems like its repeated more than it needs to be. Cool chord changes on the verse part, wish those changes had come around more than once. Suggestion, at the very end, fade the guitar out, don't chop it off like it is... even just a short fade would be fine. The part that starts at :20, I'd like to hear that done over the echoy guitar stuff in the intro rather than by itself. Not sure what this song has to do with "Who Said I'm Dead?" other than the first line of the song.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
dirgetheband
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Pro Tools 8 M-Powered, Dell XPS 630, M-Audio Delta 66/44, Tascam 488 & 424

Post by dirgetheband »

king_arthur wrote:James Owens
...Nice take on the Osama bin Laden story without being obvious about it, I didn't make the connection 'til second listen, at which point the
cleverness of the lines came out.
Took me a take or two, but I saw this as well. Very clever. Love the bit about the virgins - that always seemed to be a fantastic punchline to a joke about the Muslim Faith. If anyone actually gave voice to the joke, that is.

Bonus points to anyone who can correctly guess which labor organizer I had in mind when writing my tune. And by bonus points I mean millions and millions of dollars.
DT
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

dirgetheband wrote:
king_arthur wrote:James Owens
...Nice take on the Osama bin Laden story without being obvious about it, I didn't make the connection 'til second listen, at which point the
cleverness of the lines came out.
Took me a take or two, but I saw this as well. Very clever. Love the bit about the virgins - that always seemed to be a fantastic punchline to a joke about the Muslim Faith. If anyone actually gave voice to the joke, that is.

Bonus points to anyone who can correctly guess which labor organizer I had in mind when writing my tune. And by bonus points I mean millions and millions of dollars.
Well, simply because millions and millions of dollars would come in handy right about now, let me cover Jimmy Hoffa, just in case that's who it is :-)

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
dirgetheband
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by dirgetheband »

king_arthur wrote:Well, simply because millions and millions of dollars would come in handy right about now, let me cover Jimmy Hoffa, just in case that's who it is :-)
You are correct, sir. For some reason I had a parking lot in mind when i sat down to write the opening chords. Thoughts of a parking lot led to thoughts of Giant Stadium parking lot led to thoughts of Jimmy Hoffa being buried under the old Giant Stadiums parking lot. Closed thought on Hoffa maybe not actually being dead, just missing.

I will now initiate the wire of US$2,500,000 dollar into your account per the INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY FUND. I am mailing you a US$,3500 dollars cheque to cover taxes and insurance. All you need to do is DEPOsit this cheque inyou your banking account and wire my US$2,900 dollars to cover taxes and insurance. Good day!
DT
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

king_arthur wrote: Hmm, something going on here, with the rhythm guitar, I think... is there an
echo on it that's not adjusted to the beat of the song? Or
maybe it's the tremolo... something here is working against
the rhythm of the song.
The rhythm guitar, barely audible in most places, has no effects. The lead guitar is going through delay and tremolo pedals, neither timed to the song. For the delay I set a short slap that gave a certain sound, and certainly for the opening notes it got in the way. After that it didn't bother me, but I'll have another listen. For the tremolo I just dialed something that felt right to me. [EDIT: After listening, I think the anti-rhythm you're hearing might be my fingers getting caught in the strings!]
Ending seems a little anticlimactic;
repeat that last "Who said I'm gone?" a couple times and on
the last one go UP to the 1 note rather than down to it (even
though you're trying to do Johnny Cash).
I did think about that, but going up could have messed with the Johnny Cash effect, so I decided to err on the side of caution. Instead I tried to make the last "gone" sound conclusive.
Audacity suggested there was
some lo-mid buildup around 400-600 hz, and EQing a little of
that out seemed to me like it helped.
Thanks. I did apply an EQ preset to the vocal to make it a bit clearer (along with reverb and a touch of compression). I will have to check out this spectral analysis approach.
Daring Front
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Sing, Guitar, Drum, Percussion, Bass, Keyboard, Program
Recording Method: Mostly magnets and wires
Submitting as: Daring Front

Post by Daring Front »

Hello. Ignore what they say, you are the only one for me.

Many kind and thoughtful reviews. I hope to reciprocate.

Dirge - Vocals are weak compared to the heaviness of the rest of the track. It is hard to hear the vocals in some areas. I loke the phrasing and tone of the solo.

Secret Submarine - Diverse vocal accents throughout. Lots of interesting voices and timbres. I do not, however, understand the chorus words in relation to the rest of the track

BSS - The syncopated rhythm sections sound muddled. The chorus/bridge section is dense an muddy on transition. The synth does not add any body to this generally thin mix.

That Guy - I like the background hum noise on the track at the start. The accordion is also good. The main groove was a little loose. I like the intro more, separate the two.

Community Payback - No review for you. Next.

Toshiro - Good echo on intro guitars. Main groove was muddy; lost in tremelo guitar and sloppy fills. Vocal harmonies are good, clear, and cohesive.

Eggnog Adam - Funny, kind of a strain. You sing the high vocal notes well. I attended Berklee shortly after JM left. The rumor was he liked to pee in girl's hair.

Longfellow Street - Cool vaudeville gypsy potential. Strong female vocals. Good percussion and ambiance.

Integration Test - Bridge needs tighter articulation to contrast chorus - symplify the guitar rhythm to match the drums. Tonality is thin, relying on "studio magic." beef it in real life, then record it.

King Arthur. I come to expect expert songcraft from King Arthur. I would do this one more funk shuffle.

Nurvuss - Devo, but not quite as anthem-like as girl u want or whip it. It was funny with unexpected rhyming.

Jelizaboas - Improve your mic situation of work on mic handling when singing. Song is clever with idioms and puns.

PC Army - Warm recoding aesthetic. Strong use/mix of rhythm guitar. Cohesiv vox, timbres fit well together.

Lake City - Lyrics are hastily/hapzardly constructed; weak rhyme scheme. Sounds like KD Lang B-reel.

Sanity - Organ solos good. Need to enunciate and handle mic better. Fake drums too loud.

Tibor - Good lyrics. Sparse guitars are cool, but need compressor/stereo/chorus.

Ranger Den - Lots of mic transition sounds, like spliced takes. Improve phrasing and breath more.

Romer - Dry vocals, need more dynamic in terms of mic and rapper. Beat is okay, drums are too low.

JA Owens - Clever songwriting. Good aesthetic with twangy single coil guitars.

I love you,
Daring Front
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

Daring Front wrote:\
Eggnog Adam - Funny, kind of a strain. You sing the high vocal notes well. I attended Berklee shortly after JM left. The rumor was he liked to pee in girl's hair.
hahahahahaha. worth it!
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

king_arthur wrote:
EggNogAdam

Interesting stuff going on with that guitar, but the bass
seems like it needs to be more on the beat; since there aren't
any drums, the bass is the default rhythm instrument, and it's
not doing its job here for me. This really wants some jazz
drum stuff going on. At 2:42... the bass is playing a minor
scale, so when the acoustic guitar comes in on a major chord,
that felt weird. And where did the electric guitar go to? It
would be interesting to ADD the acoustic guitar, not just use
it as a replacement... no, the guitar going out of tune isn't
funny, and you shouldn't have kept it. And ya know what they
say, "if you have to explain what your song is about, the song
didn't do its job..."
hahahaha. awesome. I got an "interesting" and a "weird." I'll take it!
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

again, i wasnt in this fight, but i find myself wanting to give reviews... short and sweet i hope.

Longfellow: great to hear ya'll again, hasnt been since you beat me in "you believed it yourself". cool percussion, sounds like some one just grabbed some stuff from the kitchen and is banging on it. vocal harmonies are on point. i like the dude voice in there. turn up the bass a hair.

nurvuss: this intro is taking forever. lol and now its time to dance.

dirge: "cat scratch fever" slowed down right? just kidding. cool tone, but i think there is too much guitar. i can barely make out a bass in there. drums are standard... fake right? the vocals were good (a little quiet behind that wall of guitar) especially during the verse. work on that chorus, you sound fine, i just think its bad. good overall, but everything else needs to be brought up to guitar level, or vice versa. wicked solo.

integration: your guitar could use some more low end. other than that i really like this song, and real drums(?). wicked solo as well.

Daring: godamn you have some heavy grooves. i like that your voice is harder in this song than before. "i found the grave, but i aint dead yet" is awesome.

payback: ugh, payback for what? and to who? cause i dont know what i did to deserve a migrane.

James: there he is. i know the lyrics are really the important part here, but id like the music turned up a little.... other than that nit pick its perfect.

Sanity: i like your voice. wow, dueling synths. not really my thing, but honestly not bad. good work, i was hesitant, with a name like "sanity" usually you want to tear your ears off by the end.

Romer: sweet bass notes. i can tell you hate your mic, cause it sounds like crap. there are really good parts to the flow, but for the most part it sounded a hesitant and choppy. please keep up the good work. that beat was awesome, with a new mic and a little practice, this would have gotten a vote.

toshiro: everyone needs to play together, it sounds all disjointed. intro and outro are unnecessary. try rocking out less, and focus, itll be way good.

Lake: bongos... word. you have a good voice, the rest of the song needs to be as pretty as your voice, and this time its not. keep it up, you sing very well.

TPCArmy: yay brushes! awesome, i can hear everything, perfect... unfortunately not the winner, but definite vote.

BSS: the 80s euro synth may be a little much, but i really like this one. especially the guitar solo.

Tibor: very calming, i like the chorus "who said im gone...im not done yet" part. good work. my only gripe is that it is all obviously synth instruments.

Submarine: you have a nice voice, i could hear this song on the radio. turn up the little "who said it"s they are awesome. wow, really impressed. saved to my ipod, Win.

Jeliz: there is some mic hiss, and some crackling that is pissing me off. other than that the "talking bout poopin'" line makes me laugh.

KA: groovy vintage tone. i want a cool solo.

Adam: i laughed, hopefully that was the point.

DJRD: hey pretty voice lady. the only thing i think is weird is that there are a few times where you are singing through a different mic, and its not as sweet as the rest. i assume you did it on purpose, but i guess i like continuity.

that guy: harmonies are not so on point, but on the whole i kinda like it. especially your crazy voice during the "send back the meds" part.

im really glad i didnt enter this fight, i would have lost horribly. good job.
Daring Front
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Sing, Guitar, Drum, Percussion, Bass, Keyboard, Program
Recording Method: Mostly magnets and wires
Submitting as: Daring Front

Post by Daring Front »

BBABM wrote:voice is harder in this song than before. "i found the grave, but i aint dead yet" is awesome.
The line was meant "I got a foot in the grave," but I appreciate that you made it your own, like a bathroom on the right. Hopefully this means you even sang along. I can die a happy urchin.

Much love,
Ice D