Reviews are the Heartbeat of this Fight (YATHOTOFS Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Reviews are the Heartbeat of this Fight (YATHOTOFS Reviews)

Post by ken »

Surely, you will write your reviews here.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: Reviews are the Heartbeat of this Fight (YATHOTOFS Reviews)

Post by Spud »

You are the artbeat of this fight for sure, but I hope you post it soon!
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

well, there's something for ya...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I just submitted minorly tweaked version of my song. Hope it doesn't cause problems, Spud, otherwise go ahead and ignore it.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Nobody's made the joke about being the fartbeat of the fight?
(I'm drunk. Don't remind me of low humor later pleezes).
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
Toshiro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals. Extremely bad keyboard.
Recording Method: Logic Pro, Focusrite ISA One, MOTU Traveler and assorted gubbins
Submitting as: Toshiro

Post by Toshiro »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:I just submitted minorly tweaked version of my song. Hope it doesn't cause problems, Spud, otherwise go ahead and ignore it.
Is that allowed? I missed a flub in my song after I'd sent it in...

YES YES I REALISE THAT VIRTUALLY ALL OF IT IS A FLUB THANK YOU
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Toshiro wrote:
Manhattan Glutton wrote:I just submitted minorly tweaked version of my song. Hope it doesn't cause problems, Spud, otherwise go ahead and ignore it.
Is that allowed? I missed a flub in my song after I'd sent it in...

YES YES I REALISE THAT VIRTUALLY ALL OF IT IS A FLUB THANK YOU
Toshiro, Toshiro, Toshiro
Songfight! is about never saying you are sorry. NEVER!

Having said that - I also apologise for a particularly bad "essey" thing near end of mine. Funny thing is - after I bounced an "almost final" draft to mp3 - I hit "delete" and the whole song disappeared!!. So that "almost final" draft became the final song. Complete with some bad "essey" sounds.

Let this be a lesson to all of you. Never Drink and Record. NEVER EVER!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

RangerDenni wrote:Nobody's made the joke about being the fartbeat of the fight?
(I'm drunk. Don't remind me of low humor later pleezes).
I can't believe I never realised that "You are the Heartbeat of this Office for Sure" rhymes with "Poo is the Fart Meat of my Orifice with Sores"

Can I submit a new song please Spud?

EDIT
===========================
OK - I just Googled "fart meat"

I am tentatively saying that:

"Poo = Fart Meat"

is a new and very useful addition to the English language.

I feel that my work on this planet is now done.

Didn't think of that one, did you Shakespeare. Baldy-headed prick.
Who_Izzy
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, loop pedal
Recording Method: Mixcraft 4.5
Submitting as: MC Who Izzy

Post by Who_Izzy »

Reviews!

Billy And The Psychotics: I want a Billy and The Psychotics album. I love this so much. It's the kind of music i lived on in middle school lol. which is still a semi large portion of my life.
VOTE

Berkeley Social Scene:
This reminds me of something...I'm not sure what. I like whatevers been done to the vocals.
VOTE

Manhattan Glutton: This reminds me of "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story. I'm not sure why
VOTE

Eggnog Adam:One doesn't have to be messed up on the strong nog to enjoy this.
VOTE

Caravan Ray:At first I thought this was an indian accent. I think I would have liked it better had it been an indian accent.
NO VOTE, due to lack of indian accent

Steve Durand:Your song made me sad
NO VOTE, due to you making me sad.

Cthxcthxctcx:It's early, I hit play on your song, it scared me, I hit ctrl f4 really fast
NO VOTE due to me having to change underwear

Yyarrell Brothers Band: I love the organ, I enjoy the vocals...Really There just isn't much of anything I don't like.
VOTE

Toshiro:This sounds like The Who on crack colaborating with Reggie Watts....I LOVE IT!
VOTE

Trotsky and Marx:This just couldn't really keep my attention. It's not because of anything you did neccesarily. Reminds me of Conway Twitty, apparantly the guy made good music, but I just can't listen to him
NO VOTE, due to personal preference

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano:Kinda loud, lol, I really like, the music, the intro especially. The delays are nice and the stutter fits in real well. The quality on the vocals could be better. So could the flow, it sounds like you recorded this in one take and didn't take the time to fix any mistakes you made.
VOTE due to biasism

Missions to Proton:Oh goodness. This music. This voice. This song. My ears are in love.
VOTE, due to ear lust

Bubble Pipe media and Viktor Walters:Is this dubstep? There's parts I like and parts that are just too grindy. You come up just short in my book
NO VOTE, due to not meeting book height requirments

Juliets Happy Dagger:You vaguely remind me of the B-52's. I'm not sure why. If it were a faster paced song, you would get a vote
NO VOTE, due to obstructing traffic

Heine:Personal preference again. I'm sorry but I couldn't even get through 2 boom booms....I'll probably go back and listen to the whole thing, but I can't vote for you, sorry :(
NO VOTE
"I just play music that feels good so that when I listen to it, I feel good" ~BLT 2011

"No-I'm not sure. But I meant to. I'm voting for it now." ~Caravan Ray 2011
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

Who_Izzy wrote:Juliet's Happy Dagger:You vaguely remind me of the B-52's.
Well, vote or no, I'll take that comparison all day long.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Toshiro wrote:YES YES I REALISE THAT VIRTUALLY ALL OF IT IS A FLUB THANK YOU
Oh I see how it is. You're one of those people who complains about how much you suck, and then you submit something amazing.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Post by bdog5778 »

So, the good MC was frightened by Cthxcthxctcx's entry, which meant only one thing - I would be listening to it first.

THIS is good stuff my friends. Would you guys be willing to tab it out? The sheer atonality and musicianship just really does it for me. I wish the mix was a bit more bass-heavy, but otherwise...FUN!
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8

Post by bdog5778 »

Billy and the Psychotics- Love the sonics, the music not as much. Denise's voice just really carries things along here, doesn't it? I just don't see myself humming along to it. Needs more hookiness. Of course, this is coming from the guy who totally dug chthXchthXchthX's cacophany -so take it for what it's worth.

Toshiro- Kind of a fun little pastiche. It'd be great if the "ah, ah" vocals -before the shattering glass- were harmonized. To accentuate the party-ish sunny vibe. Needs more bass, though, to get the people up and dancing.

Juliet's Happy Dagger Didn't move me and I'm not sure that you guys make for the best duet. Individually, I love your voices. Together, not so much.
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by bdog5778 »

Manhattan Glutton- Love the second verse -glad I wasn't drinking Coke at that precise moment. You need to double your voice [see: Denise]. Maybe a different effect on the piano? The little fills during verse 3 are really cool, though. Perfect little accents. Ooh, tambourine breakdown. Wanted to substitute the lyric "no more reason to wait" with "no more reason for inaction". Just me. Which amp model are you using for the rhythm guitar? Not something I'd use that often, but it would have its place. Nice work.

www.metalunarocks.com
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

My initial reactions. Probably will change in a week.

BSS - Music is pretty good, but the vocals, I think, should be an octave lower, or doubled with that.

billy - This is pretty fun. I agree with bdog's hooky assessment. The vocals seem slightly more wet than I like, but they are performed great. I'd like to hear harmony. (le vote posible)

bubblepipemedia - This is the weird one that I like despite probably nobody else enjoying it. You kind of lose me at 1:30. It's just a couple eggs short of a beautiful omelet in terms of melodic themes.

caravan ray - I hate when people screw up the timing in their intro. The verse vocals don't do much for me, but they're not bad - they could use some harmonizing at points or somesuch. Might want to adjust your mic stand.

cthx - I really like the noise aspect, but the vocals fall short of bringing it home. If only it had turned into a real song with a melody at 0:30.

eggnog - Cute pearl jam spoof. The snare panning back and forth is interesting.

Heine - This is not the best waltz I have heard. It is not bad. It could use some harmony or additional vocals. Funny lyrics.

Juliet - I'm not feeling a strong vocal melody here - like you guys aren't sure what notes you're going for. There's potential, but it's just a little off.

MC&K - Music decent; vocals a little nasally and overwet. Not really sure where the song is going.

Missions to Proton - Are you new? Please stick around. I really dig this! (le vote)

Steve Durand - Am I hearing where you pasted the piano loop, or what is that clipping noise?

Toshiro - You're quite a spaz, but I love it. All I can say is that it could be mastered a little fuller. In a just world, you'd probably win. I'm kind of curious how much of this is samples and how much you performed. (le vote)

Trotsky - The off-beat drums are driving me nuts. If it were tighter and maybe faster...

yyarrell brothers - A decent cover of Sublime - What I Got.

RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote:
I feel that my work on this planet is now done.
hilarity. all that. hilarity.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

Here are some hasty, and maybe a little bit bitter, reviews.

Berkley Social Scene: Fine, as always, but I'm still not feeling like you care about it. That's my only complaint.

Heine: I think if you had moved this song up a step or two it would have had a better energy to it. Also, the "boom booms" seem kind of out of place to me.

T&M: A little shaky, I think, but we're a new project and there's something there for us to work with. It's not just the drums; all of the instruments are off at one time or another. I like what I did with the lyrics, though. Yay me.

Missions To Proton: The drums sound like they don't belong with everything else. The guitar and vocals need a little bit of substance to their sound, or else the drums need less. I think it's a good song, though, and I like your voice.

cthXcthXcthX: Well, at least you aren't growling. That's about all I can say. Genre thing, I guess.

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano: I'm kind of losing the vocals every once in awhile. It's hard to pay attention to them because they kind of sound like they aren't supposed to be the focus of the song. The instrumental stuff is fine.

The Yyarrell Brothers Band: Delightful, but then you said "groovy" un-ironically. Then it became delightful again. I'm not crazy about the instrumental break after just one verse, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters: I cannot hear you, sir. I wanted you to bust out singing a more melodic chorus instead of getting all scary-whispery, but you didn't.

Toshiro: When you go on about how terrible your song is and then whip out something like this, you only make me feel sad about myself inside. This is excellent. It kind of reminds me of Fatboy Slim or something.

Steve Durand: Pretty good. I'm wondering if maybe switching the piano out for something more unusual like a harpsichord or something wouldn't have pushed it a little bit further. Still, once the drums come in the track is very good and I enjoyed it a lot.

Juliet's Happy Dagger: Brooke's diction is a touch slurred every now and again. Noah's voice overpowers Brooke's every time you sing together. Bonus points for cowbell.

Caravan Ray: This is a fun song. I don't know how much I can say about it that's helpful, but I'm enjoying it. The muffled bit at the end is beautiful.

Manhattan Glutton: I wish I could do this kind of thing. I can't pull off attitude. I really like the way this sounds. A couple of the lyrics are iffy, and it goes a little long, but overall it's a positive listening experience.

Billy and the Psychotics: Guys, stop it. I can't compete with you guys separately, let alone when you combine forces into this monstrosity. Seriously, though, it's awesome. You guys are great together.

EggNogAdam: I like the guitar, and the song generally. Careful, though. Every time you said "wear a shirt and tie," your voice sounded like you were doing an impression of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

I think that's all for now.
Last edited by SchlimminyCricket on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYyarrellBrosBand
A New Player
Instruments: Keyboards, Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Zoom HD16, Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: The Yyarrell Brothers Band

Post by TheYyarrellBrosBand »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: yyarrell brothers - A decent cover of Sublime - What I Got.
I noticed this myself after a while and it was completely unintentional. I was just too deep into the project to back out. I think the vocals mostly sealed the deal on that. Thanks for calling it decent though.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

TheYyarrellBrosBand wrote:Thanks for calling it decent though.
Don't get me wrong - it was performed quite well. And nobody really owns those chords. But then the solo came in. :)

eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: FLStudio, Guitar, Harmonica, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: FLStudio, Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Sony and a PC
Submitting as: EggNogAdam

Post by eggnogadam »

trotsky and marx - White Stripes simplicity. Crisp vox. I like it. I enjoy making short songs and I see we have that in common. Nice.

manhattan glutton - Cake. Wow. Me Gusta. Kinda REM at the hook. "give me a raise." Uber. Good harmonies. I really like this sound!

chthXchthXchthX - Jesus... *lower volume* I have no words. I enjoyed that. Oddly. Not my usual style but I have to say it must have been well done because I liked it. I laughed like crazy when I went "JESUS!" out loud.

Steve Durand - Totally a theme song for some cheesy 80's sitcom like Mister Belvedere about a secretary. Awww. She got canned. Hahahaha. Sad. "don't have a heart." WOW! Awesome last line!! WIN!

Caravan Ray - Are you by chance the same person who recorded Man Ray? If so... awesome to see you again! I like the instrumental mix, the sounds at the end and the song as a whole! well done!

Heine - Roger Waters. I always get yelled at for just "saying the song title right off" but I don't feel that this is a valid 'critical statement.' I think you pulled it off. This song has a very "Pigs" thing going on. I like! I also like the "boom boom" lyrical style.

yyarrellbrothersband - Organ! Nice! Is this Guitar recorded from a mic'd amp or direct in? I like the tone of the rhythm guitar (is why I ask). Nice bridge! Good harmonies! Well Done!

juliets happy dagger - "no one can count what you are owed!" I like that lyric a lot! Good vocals and an all around sweet recording!

EggNogAdam - Lumberg! Classic! I see you ended up with a Dave Matthews-esque start and a Layne Staley vocal track. Nicely done. hahahaha.

bubblepipemedia + viktorwalters - Not my taste but I can tell you that I think the recordings were crisp and well made. I wish the guitars had become encompasingly full and just SCREWED my eardrums up (like chthX's song did. hahaha). I like it but I have no basis for comparison nor thoughtful review.

mc who izzy & kapitano - I enjoy the beat. Pretty 80's. Soundtrack to "Beverly Hills Cop." I like the second verse lyrics most.

Missions to Proton - Ratatat. I like the chord prog. Hey! Full band! Wasn't expecting that. Overall a great recording and I like the song. I'm short on words as my daughter is pestering me during the last two songs...

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the intro a lot. Was the singer holding the mic? I think I can hear him backing away and approaching the mic a lot. Not a big deal, just thought I could tell. I really like the whole band / song on the guitar solo part. I like the outro! I am a fan of an outro or a fadeout. I'll have to fade out the next song. that'll be fun.

Toshiro.0 - Holy .... hahahaha. I love the snare count in! WTF.... Is that a real guitar or a sample?? Awesome chicken Pickin'! ORGAN! two songs with organ! FANTASTIC! Christ, Toshiro. I am downloading this song. The funk bass, the organ, the high pitched vox part (wish I knew what language that was [real?]). This song RULES! I never tell who I'm voting for but I don't mind sharing that this song (and any one like it in the future) will get a HEAVY vote from me! W E L L D O N E !

Billy and the Psychotics - I like the change up at the end! The "For Sure" was a hard thing for me to use here and I think you did it very well! I like this song! Good Job!
Toshiro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals. Extremely bad keyboard.
Recording Method: Logic Pro, Focusrite ISA One, MOTU Traveler and assorted gubbins
Submitting as: Toshiro

Post by Toshiro »

eggnogadam wrote:WTF.... Is that a real guitar or a sample??
Depends which one you mean. I only had a couple of nights to work on this due to stupidity/injury. The fuzz bass parts and wah guitar near the start are real, all the other guitars and basses are samples. I do like the wah part though. :)
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: FLStudio, Guitar, Harmonica, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: FLStudio, Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Sony and a PC
Submitting as: EggNogAdam

Post by eggnogadam »

awesome stuff, Toshi. well done, indeed!