Reviews are the Heartbeat of this Fight (YATHOTOFS Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: FLStudio, Guitar, Harmonica, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: FLStudio, Gibson, Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender, Sony and a PC
Submitting as: EggNogAdam

Re: Reviews are the Heartbeat of this Fight (YATHOTOFS Reviews)

Post by eggnogadam »

SchlimminyCricket wrote: EggNogAdam: I like the guitar, and the song generally. Careful, though. Every time you said "wear a shirt and tie," your voice sounded like you were doing an impression of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.
PAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

it puts the lotion in the basket!!
eggnogadam
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by eggnogadam »

Who_Izzy wrote: Eggnog Adam:One doesn't have to be messed up on the strong nog to enjoy this.
VOTE

awesome! I love a good vote! thanks!
TheYyarrellBrosBand
A New Player
Instruments: Keyboards, Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Zoom HD16, Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: The Yyarrell Brothers Band

Post by TheYyarrellBrosBand »

eggnogadam wrote:
yyarrellbrothersband - Organ! Nice! Is this Guitar recorded from a mic'd amp or direct in? I like the tone of the rhythm guitar (is why I ask). Nice bridge! Good harmonies! Well Done!!
Direct in. Thanks!
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Toshiro------saving that one. what you working with?
Missions to Proton
A New Player
Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, FL Studio, Vox
Recording Method: FL Studio, Laptop Built-in Mic
Submitting as: Missions to Proton

Post by Missions to Proton »

Hey, thanks to everyone who responded to our track! We are indeed new, and we appreciate all of the constructive criticism and kind words. We wish we could have spent more time with this track, but as it was, we crammed it into Sunday. Regardless, it's great to start out on Songfight, and we look forward to giving and getting more responses.

Berkley Social Scene - The guitar playing is very talented and tasteful, as is the bass. The drumming is also in the pocket. Nice recording quality. The vocals were hard to decipher sometimes, what with all the chorus and so on.

Billy and the Psychotics - Catchy, fun rock riffs! Sounds like you spent a good deal of time on the production, and it seems to be working for you.

Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters - Very cool! The dark feel is slick, and it's mixed/mastered well. A little more variation might have spiced it up some between the verses and choruses.

Caravan Ray - Lightweight, fun feel; kinda 60s pop? Nice, clean, full guitars.

chthXchthXchthX - This is noise metal, right? Just trying to nail it down. Anyway, it's pretty far from what we usually listen to, but one of us considers it a pretty good job in that particular sound. The other likens the guitar parts to a local band she likes.

EggNogAdam - We had to read the forums before we realized it was a Pearl Jam allusion, but it's pretty clear now. Entertaining lyrics/Office Space references.

heine - Funny situation you describe; it recalls The Office. Perhaps "bum bum" would have evoked a heartbeat more than "boom boom" - one of us didn't get it at first. Simple but pleasant guitar.

Juliet's Happy Dagger - Great chord progression during the chorus. The vocals might need some fine tuning. We agree with some other reviews that perhaps these two voices aren't the best match as a duet.

Manhattan Glutton - Very Cake - we like. Especially in the style of the vocals and the pauses. Also hearing some REM mixed in there in the choruses. (This is a compliment.) Really enjoy the instrumentation; in particular, didn't expect the piano, but it's nicely done.

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano - Cool, sparse electronica. The vocals sound low bitrate compared to the rest of the mix. Maybe a stronger take?

Steve Durand - This is sweetly melancholy. Love the progression and piano playing. Haha, a sudden change up! But the story gets more sad…

Toshiro - Eclectic mix of sounds and…Bollywood, maybe? Sounds like it could be in a movie. Roll credits! The mix is rather on the high end, but it's still really well put together and is a fun listen.

Trotsky and and Marx - Kind of droning. Needs some change-ups. Sort of a campfire, stripped-down approach. Could be good, just wanna work on the timing.

The Yyarrell Brothers Band - Well recorded. Tasteful production, love the organ. Gentle feel. Laid back. Dig the pre-chorus change-up at the end.

Thanks again, all, and we'll work on upping the production and recording quality.
Last edited by Missions to Proton on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: Steve Durand - Am I hearing where you pasted the piano loop, or what is that clipping noise?

Well I didn't play the piano part very well so I tried to patch it up in a few places
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Toshiro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals. Extremely bad keyboard.
Recording Method: Logic Pro, Focusrite ISA One, MOTU Traveler and assorted gubbins
Submitting as: Toshiro
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Toshiro »

Missions to Proton wrote:Toshiro - Eclectic mix of sounds and…Bollywood, maybe? Sounds like it could be in a movie. Roll credits! The mix is rather on the high end, but it's still really well put together and is a fun listen.
Thanks for the review. I'm having issues with my monitoring - the speakers are VERY bass-heavy due to the placement in the room and I'm trying to find a compromise that gives the final mix enough low end without making tracking incredibly muddy....
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Manhattan Glutton wrote: caravan ray - I hate when people screw up the timing in their intro.
Huh?!?! Were you travelling at or near light speed while listening? There may be (and in fact are) multiple things wrong with my song - but I wouldn't have thought my timing in the intro would be at the top of the list.
bubblepipemedia
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Voice, some piano and keydrumming, and if I'm brave, guitar and bass.
Recording Method: Logic 8
Submitting as: Bubble Pipe Media

Post by bubblepipemedia »

This is my first post here, so I decided to make it a good one. I tried to be positive and critical which is a tight rope to walk.

Mission From Proton - catchy and hit all the beats I wanted it to. Predictable isn't always bad, the piano came in exactly when I wanted it to like magic, and there's an art to that. I dug the guitar recording and separation, but wished the drums were a tad louder.

Steve Durand - Vocals are the most opinionated instrument, there are plenty of bands I love vocals where my friends hate it and vice versa. I can honestly say I just couldn't get into the the singing style. If perhaps it were a little goofy or cartoony, I would have liked it more?

heine - onomonopia much? Classic to the core, I can honestly say this just isn't my style or genre preference, but that doesn't stop it from being a job well done. You nailed it.

caravan ray - I like the intro a lot! Once the guitars come in, I feel it sounds a bit more like the other entries, but it has a unique flavor I like in the drum beat, though I can't peg whether it's sonic quality, performance, or combination. I really dig the end too. A lot. Well done.

Berkeley Social Scene - I dug the sonic quality a lot, except the kick drum which I felt needed more old school punch. The vocals sat in the mix well without being too loud. Guitar solo for the win.

Billy And The Psychotics - Yes. Another guitar solo that makes me happy. I dig the whole thing.

Trotsky + Marx - The timing issues give it a flavor I like some of the time, but sometimes it's so off it's distracting. It also gets a little repetitive for me. I find the panning interesting and old school, well done there for nailing that vibe.

The Yyarrell Brothers Band - the open high hat sound during the chorus makes me weep. Otherwise, I dig it. Good vocals and guitar.

Toshiro - I'm happy at this point just to be hearing something substantially different from the other entries. The high's are a little harsh, but otherwise this whole track works for me.

Eggnog Adam - Interesting drum and I like the very 90s chord changes. I'd like to hear more punch in the kick drum in the later part in the track. Cool track. And I love the references to one of my favorite movies of all time. You also nailed the vocals.

Manhattan Glutton - I like the guitar panning (what can I say, I'm a sucker for good stereo separation). Good track overall, with great guitars and vocals standing out. I felt it went on a little long, but that might be because the other tracks were all so short.

Juliet's Happy Dagger - The production was fine, but I can honestly say this isn't my stylistic genre preference at all, so it's hard for me to really comment.

chthXchthXchthX - I like heavy, but this may actually be a little much even for me, especially with the drum compression sound (which some would like, so it's not bad). I also feel that being substantially instrumental, it was hard to tell how much it related to the theme. But, at the very least, it was interesting.

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano - another stand out for being different, which I appreciate. But the vocals are really hard to understand and sound like they have a low bitrate warble. I'd probably dig it more if I could understand it.

Bubble Pipe Media + Viktor Walters - I'm Biased :P I'm happy with how it turned out considering we only had two sessions to work on it. I'm a big fan of dark moody pieces that don't quite fit into any genre, so I got what I wanted out of it. The writer and I wanted a plot of a server in the office that was a cyborg who was feeling ignored. I'm not sure if that really came through, but he was the literal heart/center of the office. I also wanted to make sure I did something that no one else was likely to do something similar, and I think I succeeded.

@SchlimminyCricket and Manhattan Glutton: I considered and even tried a more melodic chorus briefly, but decided it just didn't fit with the music I already had from session 1. (session 1 was music, session 2 was vocals, lyrics, and mixing)

@EggNogAdam: I'm glad you dug the recording, I pride myself on my sonic sensibilities, so I'm glad they worked for you. Having a ridiculously full and distorted guitar-like instrument is not far fetched for me, maybe the next time I do a darkish track.

@Who_Izzy "Is this dubstep?": I don't know. Is it? :P Funny enough, I really like music with dubstep elements, but seldom do I like anything that is flow blown dubstep. 'Coming up just short' is better than falling flat, so thanks!

@Missions to Proton: Glad you dug it! I would have liked a little more variation as well, my lyricist and I have considered revisiting it if we come of with a coherent enough plan/idea.
[shameless self-promotion] For more tunes, check out my soundcloud page http://snd.sc/pdDBe6 [/shameless self-promotion]
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: lalabrookie

Post by lalabrookie »

Reviews!! And sorry for the lack thereof lately. Summer school...ugh...

MANHATTAN GLUTTON: This had me smiling immediately. I quite enjoyed "feeling" this :D I can't believe you were unsure about submitting this...piano was a great addition. Very nice harmonies. Awesome build the whole way through. Hilarious and a great listen.

MCWHOIZZY: I would have liked to hear your voice a little more up front. Were those congas in there? I liked it. I'm not a fan of rap but you were spot on with the rhythm and so I still ended up tapping my toes!

MISSIONS TO PROTON: First of all, A+ on everything. Nice song, adorable voice, great harmonies...this song is so simple and great. And I work with a bunch of women in an office, unfortunately...I have to say you hit the nail on the head there.

STEVE DURAND: For some reason, I expected her tatoo to be the company motto haha This was both funny, true and sad. Maybe this should have said "You WERE the hearbeat of this office..."? :?

CHTHCHTH: Props to the drummer...the song itself didn't get me too worked up but definitely some solid musical talent in your arrangement. I kinda want to go put on a wife beater now and smack some drums :D

EGGNOG ADAM: Your voice sounds good here, and the harmonies are also very nice. Cute ending and nice tempo.

HEINE: Liked the boom booms. This was so pretty...like a lullaby. The thing about the canteen cracked me up. Cute.

BERKELY SS: Nice clean guitar - I liked the high harmony at the end. Be careful to keep it strong or it starts to sound just a tad sickly. Enjoyed the solo. Some words were a little hard to understand but I have to say the "worthwhile when you file" line made me laugh. Good job.

BILLY AND THE PSYCHS: Awesome, as usual! Nice happy and grungy sound - such a great combo. Denni - wonderful on the vocs. Backing vocs and effects (especially the echoes) also great.

BUBBLE PIPE MEDIA: This kinda made me feel like I was lost in a haunted house while on acid. I like your unique sound and everything is tight - scary sound (in a good way!)

CARAVAN RAY: This would fit beautifully into the play list for the Iron and Wine station on Pandora. Nice acoustic, fun, light sound. I like it a lot. And the monologue in the middle? Amazing!! And very funny.

TROTSKY AND MARX: This is a cute song. I liked the repeated step ups and down but maybe a bit too repetitive...a good , catchy hook but a break would have been refreshing. Vocals were OK but maybe would have been better if drawn out rather than somewhat stilted (although that is just personal preference). Still, cute :)

YYARREL BROS: Wow, sweet-ass organ solo! Loved the 'still drunk in the morning' line (maybe because I can identify with that? haha) Also " there you are slow motion star" line" LIKE Good job on harmonies. Very nice, mellow, retro-ish song.

TOSHIRO: This seriously delighted me - vocals great, instrumentation amazing. Loved the incorporation of instruments we don't hear too often. I would try to list them, but I can't identify all of them or probably spell them. Great job!!

JULIET'S HAPPY DAGGER: Props to Noah - the baseline and song in general were stuck in my head for days. Not sure about our voices together in this particular way (we are going to keep working on blend), but I was happy with my vocs and harmonies, and also happy with Noah's vocs, especially the growly part. Plus, it was a cute story and ending.

Will ponder and vote. Lots of worthy songs this week. If I had to pick the winner, though, I would say....DRUMROLL.....MANHATTAN GLUTTON!!
Yea, I lost my groove...I lost my groove all over the place - Kat Criswell
Who_Izzy
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, loop pedal
Recording Method: Mixcraft 4.5
Submitting as: MC Who Izzy

Post by Who_Izzy »

lalabrookie wrote: MCWHOIZZY and Kapitano: I would have liked to hear your voice a little more up front. Were those congas in there? I liked it. I'm not a fan of rap but you were spot on with the rhythm and so I still ended up tapping my toes!
Thank you! My recording was not great due to my single take and crappy mic. Kap did the best he could mixing it and I really like the arrangement he put together
"I just play music that feels good so that when I listen to it, I feel good" ~BLT 2011

"No-I'm not sure. But I meant to. I'm voting for it now." ~Caravan Ray 2011
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Win for the noobs this week, hot damn!

Bubble Pipe et al. - I want to know EXACTLY what you did to that vocal track. This was my favorite of the fight.

Missions to Proton - This was my second favorite of the fight. Had Bubble Pipe et al not done such interesting things to their vocals in the stereo field, you'd be the winner!
Missions to Proton wrote:chthXchthXchthX - This is noise metal, right? Just trying to nail it down.
Your guess is as good as ours. We're pretty much a synthpop band (http://photovoltaik.bandcamp.com/)... but we find the occasional brief blasts of brutality cathartic. I call it "experiemental hardcore" and Ujn calls it "thrash," but frankly neither of us are deep enough into that particular subculture to proffer up an informed opinion.
-- reve mosquito.
bubblepipemedia
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Voice, some piano and keydrumming, and if I'm brave, guitar and bass.
Recording Method: Logic 8
Submitting as: Bubble Pipe Media

Post by bubblepipemedia »

reve wrote:Win for the noobs this week, hot damn!

Bubble Pipe et al. - I want to know EXACTLY what you did to that vocal track. This was my favorite of the fight.

Missions to Proton - This was my second favorite of the fight. Had Bubble Pipe et al not done such interesting things to their vocals in the stereo field, you'd be the winner!
Missions to Proton wrote:chthXchthXchthX - This is noise metal, right? Just trying to nail it down.
Your guess is as good as ours. We're pretty much a synthpop band (http://photovoltaik.bandcamp.com/)... but we find the occasional brief blasts of brutality cathartic. I call it "experiemental hardcore" and Ujn calls it "thrash," but frankly neither of us are deep enough into that particular subculture to proffer up an informed opinion.
Haha, thanks! Because of such a nice compliment, I will tell you exactly how I did it. I'd LOVE to tell you I did something amazingly original or technical, but mostly it was me using two effects in an effective manner. I used the plugins 'we are many' and 'mass effect' from the Kore 2 Deep Reconstructions and Deep Transformations pack. I love the two effects and I've found that I always find new ways to use them. Mass Effect is the reverb glitch sound that comes in and out, mostly during the chorus, especially during the end, and 'we are many' is on the whole vocal track and is also sent to the 'mass effect' send. I checked out the contents of the preset as best I could (it's locked) but it says it uses a multiband compressor, a limiter, and guitar rig. I suspect it uses multiband compression to split the frequencies and then sends with different delays to multiple cabinet emulations with some sort of chorusing effect. 'We are many' has a naturally almost rattly sound, so I wondered what it would sound like if I ran rattly vocals through it, and it turns out, it sounds great. On some parts I had a more whispering backing vocal going on. I hope this helps and gives you enough to go on.
[shameless self-promotion] For more tunes, check out my soundcloud page http://snd.sc/pdDBe6 [/shameless self-promotion]
Toshiro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals. Extremely bad keyboard.
Recording Method: Logic Pro, Focusrite ISA One, MOTU Traveler and assorted gubbins
Submitting as: Toshiro

Post by Toshiro »

For the couple of (extremely wonderful) folk who mentioned that they would be saving my entry, you can find a remixed version here that I think is better than what I submitted. https://files.me.com/pdossett/yzbwwi.mov
Missions to Proton
A New Player
Instruments: Acoustic Guitar, FL Studio, Vox
Recording Method: FL Studio, Laptop Built-in Mic
Submitting as: Missions to Proton

Post by Missions to Proton »

lalabrookie wrote: MISSIONS TO PROTON: First of all, A+ on everything. Nice song, adorable voice, great harmonies...this song is so simple and great. And I work with a bunch of women in an office, unfortunately...I have to say you hit the nail on the head there.
Yeah... Girl Half here speaking. The lyrics definitely are based on my work experiences. Two of those descriptions are departmental managers, and the other was my co-supervisor. Fortunately, yesterday was my last day working full time there! Yay! Back to classes. :D
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I concur with my good friend, Reve. Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters & Missions to Proton with good newberoo showings! I'll throw in a vote for Manhattan Glutton & Toshiro as well.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Today I voted for songs that didn't bore me.

The Yyarrell Bros. Band: I kinda like this -- the vocals, harmonies, intruments, and variations are all good. It's a little low-key for my tastes; I want something to hit me, even a glancing blow -- and this just flows over me. Very competent presentation, though.

Bubble Pipe et al.: This, on the other hand, pummels me gently throughout. The low mix on the melodic elements drew me in to the speakers with interest. The anticipation of something else happening was never fulfilled, however. Maybe a sudden screech here or there would have broken my passivity. Then again, it's likely that you achieved the exact effect you were aiming for. Nice job. VOTE

Caravan Ray: Excellent story, vocals, instruments, and production. The ending is cool. Too bad they ended up taking the Nancy character out of 'Tommy', but their loss was your gain. VOTE

Billy and the Psychotics: Very cool! You guys layed this out well. The vox fits perfectly. You control everything you see. Variations and unexpected but well-placed changes don't hurt this at all. Not too busy, not too tame. Solo is good. Did I mention the vox is sexy? VOTE

Toshiro: Although it's gotten easy to assemble sounds, samples and clips into songs, good songs need good source material and a creative hand. This song has both. It may not be emotive or inspiring, but it pegs the fun meter. That organ IS inspiring, actually. I don't say that very often. The integration of sounds, textures, urgency, frivolity, blah blah blah... the production and playing is great, and the arrangement is most impressive. Did you write this whole song for this fight? VOTE

Steve Durand: The music is competently performed and presented. The vocal drags it down, unfortunately. The story is mostly solid... the end seems to fall off the table. Maybe one more measure to close. It has emotion, which is good.

Berkeley Social: I don't know... seems like some parts thrown together to occupy time. Like the previous song, the vox drags it down to the lowest common denominator. That guitar solo sounds like failed improvisation. Otherwise, no glaring problems, except that the whole thing sounds flat and half-hearted.

Manhatton Glutton: I can't hear the drums, dude. Or the bass. I like the addition of melodic elements as it progresses. Clever lyric. Good playing/sound/changes. Maybe more urgency/screaming in the refrain. But it's good. VOTE

Juliet's Happy Dagger: Pseudo-harmony with Neil Diamond seems a little weird. I like the music more -- especially the rhythm sec. Interesting and different voice on lead vox.

MC Who Izzy el al.: This is performed and presented well, but I have trouble taking this genre seriously unless a song really surprises or amuses me. Not this time.

chthX " ": It's hard to take this seriously, but thats not the point. It's different, interesting, and playful. That guitar(?) sounds sick. Energy to spare. VOTE

Missions to Proton: I like the dynamics on the rhythm guitar, the sureness of the performance, the light and carefree sound of the vox. Everything sounds good, but the vocal is the heart of the song. For sure. VOTE

Trotsky and Marx: I hear a great song trying to beat it's way out of this recording. I like the concept / arrangement / lyric / vox. There are distractions and some monotony, but there's a cool song in there. VOTE

Eggnog Adam: Wow. That was really weird and cool at the same time. My eyebrows are worn out. That over-the-top vox keeps things moving. VOTE

heine: boom boom is hilarious. Is that the sound of her butt hitting the office door? Very cool story and good clear live sound. Hope you don't get fired. VOTE

One of the best fights in a while for me. No stinkers... and some really good songs, especially Bubble, Billy, and Toshiro.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Presonus FP10, Cubase
Submitting as: SoFa Productions Inc., Double Me Double U, heine

Post by Heine »

Great fight. Glad to be in. Here are my personal reviews.

Berkeley Social Scene - I like that laid back feeling and the almost natural sound of the instruments. Tube screamer solo? Nice vocal melody. - Vote!

Billy And The Psychotics - I really love these vocals. Very great talent. Cool music too. It feels a bit like Suzie Quattro (a weak comparison, I know) - but this is much better. Want to hear more. - Vote!

Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters - Science fiction future soundtrack. Cool production. Creates a nice mood. But whispering throughout the whole song is a little tiring (to me).

Caravan Ray - I like the acoustic guitar. So much inside information in these lyrics - where do you work? Cool ending! -Vote!

chthXchthXchthX - Very perfect and tight playing. Great timing. …and…well: …loud.

Steve Durand - What a beautiful song! I like the lyrics quite much. The gentle string arrangement is fine. (But for me this song don't need drums - without them it'd be perfect.) - Vote!

EggNogAdam - A nice one. I like the backup vocals. Personally, I'd drop the drums (to have a pure guitar tune) or add a bass (to make it sound more like a real band). This sounds somehow unfinished. Eddie Vedder-alike vocals? And you are friends with Michael Bolton? But your music sounds better to me than his - so you got my Vote!

heine - … you tried to make this ditty catchy using too much repetitions. But it's a nice story. Sung and played live? Not perfect but compared to older fights your voice develops. I'd give you a vote if you weren't myself.

Juliet's Happy Dagger - Nice duet. Got to hear it some more times. Don't know why it won't grab me from the start.

Manhattan Glutton - Good song. Dynamic song construction. Nice piano notes. Drums could be straighter (at least in the chorus). But all in all pretty cool. - Vote!

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano - Chinese intro? Cool, great expectations! O.k., nice 80's groove. Oh, intro again! Groove. Me, I miss a chorus or anything else I can cling to. But fine, nevertheless.

Missions to Proton - Cool name. What a lovely voice! Very catchy chorus. (Maybe the overdub guitar could be mixed a bit more in the background.) I really want to hear more! - Vote!

Toshiro - What a cool production! So many different things are going on there. Just when I got into something about 5 other ideas surprised me. Groovin' sitar! Great! - Vote!

Trotsky and Marx - Uh, what a band name… (…these ain't real names, or?!?) Drums got a little delay in some places. Though there are not too many changes, it creates a special atmosphere.

The Yyarrell Brothers Band - Organ sounds! I like that. Nice guitar solo. That's old school . Classic stuff. More, please! - Vote!
Who_Izzy wrote: Heine:Personal preference again. I'm sorry but I couldn't even get through 2 boom booms....I'll probably go back and listen to the whole thing, but I can't vote for you, sorry :(
Manhattan Glutton wrote: Heine - This is not the best waltz I have heard. It is not bad. It could use some harmony or additional vocals. Funny lyrics.
SchlimminyCricket wrote: Heine: I think if you had moved this song up a step or two it would have had a better energy to it. Also, the "boom booms" seem kind of out of place to me.
Just had about an hour to get some chords and record it. I guess my first waltz in this century.
eggnogadam wrote: Heine - Roger Waters. I always get yelled at for just "saying the song title right off" but I don't feel that this is a valid 'critical statement.' I think you pulled it off. This song has a very "Pigs" thing going on. I like! I also like the "boom boom" lyrical style.
Thanks! No intention to rip it off. (But I really love the classic Floyd stuff.)
Missions to Proton wrote: heine - Funny situation you describe; it recalls The Office. Perhaps "bum bum" would have evoked a heartbeat more than "boom boom" - one of us didn't get it at first. Simple but pleasant guitar.
bubblepipemedia wrote: heine - onomonopia much? Classic to the core, I can honestly say this just isn't my style or genre preference, but that doesn't stop it from being a job well done. You nailed it.
The lyrics were finished but I still was looking for a hook. Suddenly there was a boom boom heartbeat.
lalabrookie wrote: HEINE: Liked the boom booms. This was so pretty...like a lullaby. The thing about the canteen cracked me up. Cute.
Stubby Phillips wrote: heine: boom boom is hilarious. Is that the sound of her butt hitting the office door? Very cool story and good clear live sound. Hope you don't get fired. VOTE
Thanks. Yes, live recording, no overdubs. It had to go qickly. Not really writing about my office, so am I out of suspicion? 8)
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

Just a reminder that posting your lyrics is always appreciated.

Berkeley Social Scene
+++ groovy groves +++
/// don't know what i think about that solo; it kind of meanders and a there are a few sour notes ///

Mc Who Izzy & Kapitano
+++ electronic tones +++
--- telephone vox effect is grating ---
--- vox rhythm is a poor match for the musical beat ---

Caravan Ray - vote for creativity
+++ great sonic meld of disparate tones and genres +++
+++ story +++
+++ vox harmonies +++

chthXchthXchthX
/// how did you get this so loud without clipping? ///
+++ Surrealist reference +++

Heine - vote of catchiness
+++ chorus melody +++
+++ a very solid GnG tune; I don't feel like it's lacking anything for its simplicity +++

Steve Durand
--- samey, and it's more melody than instrumentation ---
/// this is such a show-tune that I'd like there to be more dark humor ///

Mission to Proton - vote for more catchiness than Heine, even
+++ catchy beat, good melody +++
/// vox are a little thin, like you're standing too far from the mic ///
--- that really, really high note sounds off ---
/// the hard-panned guitar parts can be distracting ///

Toshiro
+++ reminds me of U2 in good ways ... +++
--- ... until the off-pitch "yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahs" ---
--- then goes from "neat mash up of sounds" to "boring repetition" ---

Billy & and the Psychotics - vote for best use of the title
+++ rock! +++
+++ backing vox on the chorus +++
/// the breakdown prosody gets a little awkward ///

Trotsky & Marx
--- sooooo quiet ---
/// sounds more like a doodle than a complete song, like something you'd fiddle with and jam to during sound check ///

Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters
+++ dark electronica vibe +++
+++ vocal tenor +++
/// really needs a ROCK OUT portion instead of that whispering part ///

EggNogAdam
/// you are full-on channeling Alice in Chains ///
/// I wish I had something constructive to offer, but this tune just falls in to the "meh" category for me ///

Manhattan Glutton - vote for overall songwriting excellence
+++ awesome lyrics +++
+++ dynamics +++
+++ love the 90's alt-rock vibe; I love the swagger and snarl in your vocal delivery +++

Juliet's Happy Dagger - vote for ego
So what I'm hearing from most reviews is that you'd prefer it sound like this:
julietshappydagger_officeremix.mp3
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
... yup. That does sound better. Note to self: sing better or sing less.
It's really too bad that that one production choice distracts everyone from the joke...

The Yyarrell Brothers Band
/// good music for the background of a Fourth of July picnic ///
/// vox are so buried in all the other (admittedly very nice) tones that I have trouble making out the lyrics ///
Last edited by nyjm on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

Stubby Phillips wrote:Manhatton Glutton: I can't hear the drums, dude. Or the bass.
Hey thanks for the review. Out of curiosity, what speakers/headphones is this based on? So that I can get better at mixing/production.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
TheYyarrellBrosBand
A New Player
Instruments: Keyboards, Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Zoom HD16, Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: The Yyarrell Brothers Band

Post by TheYyarrellBrosBand »

Thanks for all the kind feedback. Here are my reviews:

Trotsky and Marx -- Very raw. I like that. I was waiting for the big Pink Floyd build up... but I digress.

Missions to Proton -- Love the lyrics. Everything sounds crisp and clean. Great Job.

Manhattan Glutton -- I would be surprised if you didn't sweep this one. But, I have to admit that when I first heard the piano I thought I was in for a Linkin Park break down.... I felt quite relieved when that didn't happen. Love it.

Juliet's Happy Dagger -- Diggin the guitar solo. Needs more cowbell?

Billy And The Psychotics -- For some reason I wished you had cut out the line "and what you don't say" and bump everything up a measure. I was expecting everything to hit me in the face sooner. But I'm being nit picky. Love the song... you got my vote for sure. I love the vocal echoes... I'm assuming that wasn't some plugin effect, but rather a few overlapped tracks? Grr.. magicians don't reveal their secrets!

heine -- Love the lyrics. Makes me want to wave my songfight beer stein* in the air and sing along!
*I don't really have one... but I want one!

MC Who Izzy and Kapitano -- I was reading up on the prefight, so I knew what to expect. I have to say this worked out quite nicely. Major props.

Steve Durand -- Progression is really great. Lyrics make me want to cry... not that they are bad, but rather how realistic they sound. I would love to hear more from you.

Berkeley Social Scene -- Makes me want to go see ween AGAIN...sounds great. Really nice hook on the guitar.

EggNogAdam -- pc load letter...? the fuck does that mean!?

chthXchthXchthX -- The flash mob mosh pit came and went...why wasn't there more!?

Caravan Ray -- I love everything about this. The ending is genius. Not that having and ending was genius, but rather the implementation of the ending... oh fuck it...

Toshiro -- I'm imagining that chthXchthXchthX's flash mob came over here to do The Carlton. Need I say more?

Bubble Pipe Media and Viktor Walters -- For some reason I just can't stand 2 and a half minutes of that style of vocals. Makes me want to clear my throat a lot. Just not my thing, sorry.