OMGWTFWHEREARETHESONGSBBQ (Systematic Panic Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Stevie Windsor
A New Player

Post by Stevie Windsor »

Stevie Windsor wrote:
Daj Warkenhorse Kids eh! Whats the relation between Neo Geo and Systematic Panic?

We used the Rorschach method
Fair enough. I've used much the same approach to lyrics on several occasions.
Daj Werkenhorse 1
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Daj Werkenhorse 1 »

Stevie Windsor wrote: Daj Warkenhorse Kids eh! Whats the relation between Neo Geo and Systematic Panic?
First off, we aren't kids.

Second, here is the connection: the song goes through the thoughts of a person who relies on the NeoGeo for their source of entertainment. The person then explains that if he/she found out that the NeoGeo was broken, it would send them into a 'systematic panic'. The song is done in a start-and-stop way, which acts as the person's personality and thought process, which plays perfect with the song title, and the feeling of the song.

Do you ask for song explainations all the time? :roll:

And I apologize for taking your post so serious.
I just kinda like how this song turned out.
-Austin
-Low Quality Is My Aural Asthetic.
(SENZA)
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Dan Wrekenhaus 2 »

Daj Werkenhorse 1 wrote:
Stevie Windsor wrote: Daj Warkenhorse Kids eh! Whats the relation between Neo Geo and Systematic Panic?

Second, here is the connection: the song goes through the thoughts of a person who relies on the NeoGeo for their source of entertainment. The person then explains that if he/she found out that the NeoGeo was broken, it would send them into a 'systematic panic'. The song is done in a start-and-stop way, which acts as the person's personality and thought process, which plays perfect with the song title, and the feeling of the song.

Do you ask for song explainations all the time? :roll:

For me, it was all Rorschach. But I just hit crap with sticks and drool.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

as long as we're on the subject, waku waku 7 is the sweetest of all neo geo games.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

jute gyte wrote:as long as we're on the subject, waku waku 7 is the sweetest of all neo geo games.
I've never played it. I'll have to get an emulator or something. Did you know you could use your memory card from your home system and use it at the arcade!? Genious!
Daj Werkenhorse 1
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

jute gyte wrote:as long as we're on the subject, waku waku 7 is the sweetest of all neo geo games.
-Austin
(SENZA)
Stevie Windsor
A New Player

Post by Stevie Windsor »

Do you ask for song explainations all the time?

Jeez. You are taking a passing review comment way too seriously. There was obviously more to the song then I heard, but to me it sounded too much like a lot of 1 minute thrashed out tracks that we often get here to really give it serious attention. Sorry for the "kids" reference. Anyway I think your band mate has more of the right attitude.
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Stevie Windsor wrote:

Do you ask for song explainations all the time?

Jeez. You are taking a passing review comment way too seriously. There was obviously more to the song then I heard, but to me it sounded too much like a lot of 1 minute thrashed out tracks that we often get here to really give it serious attention. Sorry for the "kids" reference. Anyway I think your band mate has more of the right attitude.
I wouldn't say that... I've managed to make everyone here despise me so far. I actually thought you were making reference to the movie Kids, and I didn't get it, so I left it alone.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I don't think everyone here "despises" you. Get some self-worth.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

[quote="RockAndRollBot"]I've managed to make everyone here despise me so far./quote]

Please, based on the panel I've assembled, most people just think you're lame and wish you'd hurry up and learn what funny is.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I believe you're supposed to capitalize "Panel" when referring to a governing body.

Or you could just refer to it's given name, "pre-determined clique".
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Leaf wrote:I don't think everyone here "despises" you. Get some self-worth.
The kids in my band don't count. Besides, self-worth is what got me in this mess in the first place. I need to figure a way to get some sort of "other-worth."
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Talk about the music, goddammit.

R&RB, it's ok to like your song. But trust me on this, from past experience, you gotta let it be ok for other people to not like it. Or not like the recording. It could be that one is interfering with the other. I'm not saying don't argue with people over whether it's good or not, just that at some point you gotta acknowledge that it's a matter of taste. And if you're the only person who likes your song, then it's a taste you don't share with anybody. It's better to like things than not, in my opinion. I wish I liked the color teal, for example. Or squash. Those two things would make my life so much more pleasant.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

15-16 puzzle wrote: Please, based on the panel I've assembled, most people just think you're lame and wish you'd hurry up and learn what funny is.
OK, just a sec....
Let me learn from the following:
15-16 puzzle wrote: You can only speak for yourself, so you speak for others?
Yes. I now understand. I'm gonna have to throw out my VHS of High Strung, I've misunderstood humor all this time.
Last edited by Dan Wrekenhaus 2 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Wrekenhaus 2
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

jb wrote:Talk about the music, goddammit.

R&RB, it's ok to like your song. But trust me on this, from past experience, you gotta let it be ok for other people to not like it. Or not like the recording. It could be that one is interfering with the other. I'm not saying don't argue with people over whether it's good or not, just that at some point you gotta acknowledge that it's a matter of taste. And if you're the only person who likes your song, then it's a taste you don't share with anybody. It's better to like things than not, in my opinion. I wish I liked the color teal, for example. Or squash. Those two things would make my life so much more pleasant.
You might be thinking of my bandmate, he said he liked how it turned out. I've just been aimlessly arguing about anything. Also, I've been misunderstood and misunderstanding, which I reckon is to be expected here (or at least often repeated). I presume people aren't expected to spend a month or two getting to know everyone before posting their first song.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

RockAndRollBot wrote:I now understand. I'm gonna have to throw out my VHS of High Strung, I've misunderstood humor all this time.
Better! At least this is sarcasm. Still not funny though.

Quit being excessively contrary for the sake of establishing yourself in this community.

If that's not what you're doing, quit being excessively contrary, just because it's annoying.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

this thread is one more post away from getting hit with the moderation stick.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

RockAndRollBot wrote:I've just been aimlessly arguing about anything.
if the asshat fits, wear it. :roll:
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

In an attempt to save this Reviews thread from all the bickering, here are my reviews so far. For those of you I haven't gotten to yet, don't fret, I will have them done tonight. I know the ones that are done are not much, but here they are:

Systematic Panic reviews by Heather from the Hell Yeahs :idea:

Abecedarian- Some of the vocals are too quiet or mumbled. Good for guy and guitar, but I don’t really care for that genre. After listening I am not “wowed”, but it wasn’t bad, in fact, it wasn’t bad at all, just not my thing. The lyrics are sad and good.

ADD - good layers and use of panning. The “tear it up” gets kind of distracting and annoying after a few repeats each time it comes up. Otherwise, this is creative and well performed.

Calfborg - Romanic/Panic, fun rhyme. This comes off sounding a bit whiney and flat (as far as the mix… like I’m one to talk apparently!), but it works with the song. The guitars seem out of tune but I can’t tell if it’s on purpose or not and it’s not enough to really bother me so it’s fine.

CC and the Creeps - These lyrics do not appeal to me at all, bunch a tech jargon. The different parts (vocally and musically) don’t seem to go well together. The typing is annoying. Blah, this is just boring and doesn’t hold my interest at all.

Daj Werkenhorse This loud and obnoxious. I’m glad wasn’t long. I don’t like it.

Hello to Ruin clipping like crazy then I can’t here it all. It sounds like you and a friend got drunk and decided to get really angry at the system. 20 seconds into it and I want to skip, but I promised myself I’d listen to every song all the way through. Yup, beginning to end, I don’t like it.

John Benjamin Band - This song is full of sound, very happy synthy sound. I enjoyed it and it was fun to listen to at work. I’m not bothered by the fact that you enjoy your song, I enjoy our song too! A fine job, vocoder and all.

More to come
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Daj Werkenhorse 1
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

I'm here again to say this:

CONSIDER THIS MY 12 STEP PROGRAM, FOR I AM STARTING OVER.

Hello.
My name is Austin.
I have self-worth and humor, but I'm also talented.
I've just been hiding it, and I may continue to hide it.
Nice to meet you!

Low Quality Is My Aural Asthetic.
-Austin
(SENZA)
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

Abecedarian
Mix is too low. I'm not believing the connection to the title even if you're deliberately doing the opposite of "panic". The section with the harmonies was good.

Add
This is nice and groovin. Has a good hook.

Calfborg
Very muddy.

CC and the Creeps
Nice production. Vocal tones are sweet. Fun and bouncy.

Daj Werkenhorse
Where's the chorus?

Hello to Ruin
Ouch! This is more annoying than loud drunken straight girls at a gay bar.

The Hell Yeahs
I like the song. The Hell Yeahs rock for sure, but I'm just wishing there was more in the production. I would love to hear this with a fuller sound. More bass and thump in the kick drum. I'm not a fan of a fuzzy bass.

The John Benjamin Band
80's. Sweeeet. +++ This takes me back to happy times.

The K Twins
This sounds like it could have been worked out as a bridge in JBB's submission.

Motor Monkeys
Nice production. Okay song.

Ricky Shallow and the Blown Loads
I actually enjoy this song... errrr submission. LOL It's the bassline that grooves for me. What I normally listen for while reviewing: "Production, lyrics, musicianship" are totally being ignored here. Dammit, should I be ashamed for liking this a lot????

Ross Durand
Fun song. Basic bar-band rock.

Sell Crazy
Okay, I think I found my vote getter. Not that there is anything extraordinary about this. Maybe because is there is a lot of movement in the vocal lines. I think that's called melodic. hehe

Steve Durand
more 80's synth pop. This is okay.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Edge of LA wrote:Abecedarian
Mix is too low. I'm not believing the connection to the title even if you're deliberately doing the opposite of "panic". The section with the harmonies was good.
The mix is way too low. I don't know how I missed that but it definitely needs to be fixed.

I don't believe that just because the title of a song is say 'silence', for example that the song should necessarily be devoid of sound.

My take on 'systematic panic' is less about evoking the mood of panic and more about discussing my thoughts on life and death and relationships. To me 'systematic panic' is one way that a person could respond to death - the insatiable and manic desire to live one's life towards a given ideal. And might you not take a moment from your panic to feel a sadness if you felt that way and you see those around you wasting away watching television?