How long does it take to make a review thread?

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Re: How long does it take to make a review thread?

Post by AJOwens »

codywalkerjr wrote:I feel a bit silly asking this, but do i need to download and install this program or can i just cut and paste the link of the MP3? It seems that I would have to download all of the tracks to tag them
I'm not sure I'm following this, but there's a simple way to add tags to MP3 files on your computer (in Windows anyway).

1. Right-click the MP3 file.
2. In the context menu, click Properties.
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Details tab.
4. In the Values column, click the space next to the Property you want to edit.
5. Type the new value.
6. Click OK.
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums/Percussion/Guitar/Vox/Pedal Steel/synth
Recording Method: Reaper/ID44
Submitting as: Cody Walker Jr./Longfellow Street/Golden Echo
Pronouns: Private

Post by codywalkerjr »

AJOwens wrote:
codywalkerjr wrote:I feel a bit silly asking this, but do i need to download and install this program or can i just cut and paste the link of the MP3? It seems that I would have to download all of the tracks to tag them
I'm not sure I'm following this, but there's a simple way to add tags to MP3 files on your computer (in Windows anyway).

1. Right-click the MP3 file.
2. In the context menu, click Properties.
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Details tab.
4. In the Values column, click the space next to the Property you want to edit.
5. Type the new value.
6. Click OK.
So are they referring to tagging the MP3s in the reviews? So that they have a play button next to the comments in the review thread? or tagging them when we submit?. i'm pretty computer saavy but I am a bit lost here
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

codywalkerjr wrote:
So are they referring to tagging the MP3s in the reviews? So that they have a play button next to the comments in the review thread? or tagging them when we submit?. i'm pretty computer saavy but I am a bit lost here
I'm guessing supremeedible means tagging them when you submit, so that the MP3 player displays your name and the song title instead of the file name.

If you want to add play buttons to the reviews, use the Review This Week's Fight link just below the "SFBB" logo at the top of the bulletin board pages. That's a new feature.
codywalkerjr
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums/Percussion/Guitar/Vox/Pedal Steel/synth
Recording Method: Reaper/ID44
Submitting as: Cody Walker Jr./Longfellow Street/Golden Echo
Pronouns: Private

Post by codywalkerjr »

AJOwens wrote:
codywalkerjr wrote:
I'm guessing supremeedible means tagging them when you submit, so that the MP3 player displays your name and the song title instead of the file name.

If you want to add play buttons to the reviews, use the Review This Week's Fight link just below the "SFBB" logo at the top of the bulletin board pages. That's a new feature.
Got IT! I finally understand! thanks i will get this figured out for the next fight (After Fat-Man!)
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I tag mine when I'm playing the mp3 back in winamp (to make sure the mp3 rendered properly)
Billymojo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Hello Kitty Squire, nose flute, belly fat
Recording Method: Mr. Microphone and Folgers can for reverb
Submitting as: The Kenzie Chickens, The Kenzie School, The Mojoville Allstars

Post by Billymojo »

Re: Tagging: I'd be happy to do this but I ain't too swift. I'm using ITunes on a mac. I'd be obliged if anyone wants to assist.

Thanks.
"We're not building airplanes here."
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Brief comments, please ask for clarification if needed.

Add Great tones surround the brief, easy vocal melody. The layering in the bridge section borders on being dense but floats nicely. This is more of a dance or getting buzzed song than a pop one, which is fine by me. Nice little journey.

The Chocolate Chips Dark and (mostly) bottom-lite. I like the spacey twinkling that comes in my right ear and the Dr. Who ending. The melody is intersting if a litle wandery.

Cody Walker Jr. Sounds nice, especially the acoustics. Kind of a road trip vibe to the song, driving through the night-time desert or something. Or maybe a daytime cowboy type. Good arrangement and playing.

Dejected Motives ft. K-OS.2 The piano plinking is very stiff at the intro. I think the trilly sound of the autotune would work good with a call to prayer type vocal, if done on purpose. Good idea, huh? The throb of the bottom synth almost works but feels as though it's struggling. Too little development, structurally, vocally, to warrant the length.

Gooey Caramel Centaur Nice coffee house tune. No, it need not be a big production, I know. The chord progressions are nice, is there a capo on? The melody is best during the verses and not as strong elsewhere. Nice room ambiance.

G.U.N.S. Who brought the garbage truck in my right ear? Nasty niceness. Does the G in GUNS stand for Glennny? I believe that it does. This is a little muddled, mixwise, but rumbles along nicely and is somehow heavy and light at the same time, not alternately. Some of the panning is too far to either side for my liking, but the instrument choices are good.

James Owens Uke 101. I never took that class, but it looks like you're ready to move to the next. Easy going and pleasant if not long lingering.

Johnny and the Rays Wobbly but easy to overlook as it this is catchy on many levels both vocal hooks-wise and surf guitar lines all lonely. I put this at best or next to best song of the fight. Please continue with this collab whenever time allows.

The Kenzie Chickens I think you pulled off what you were going for here although the vocal could use a bit more growl or sweat, decent as it is. Just sounds like you're reading off of the lyric sheet and not performing it. Could use a catchy hook, too. Regardless, very good work.

Paco del Stinko Loosely based on my recent vacation. I did not spend seven days writing/recording this, obviously. More like one and a half.

Sausage The drive and excellent guitar progression set this up nicely for your 'classic rock' voice. Very nice vocal work all around. The guitar tradeoff is fun too. I don't know if you're being tongue in cheek or not with the "I keep on rocking" theme, but I enjoy it in this tune.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Billymojo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Hello Kitty Squire, nose flute, belly fat
Recording Method: Mr. Microphone and Folgers can for reverb
Submitting as: The Kenzie Chickens, The Kenzie School, The Mojoville Allstars

Post by Billymojo »

the vocal could use a bit more growl or sweat,

Yup. Otis I ain't.
"We're not building airplanes here."
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats Cody! well deserved!

Damn, I thought we had a shot!

G.U.N.S. is up for your own acronym. To me it is Glennny Under Niveous Suggestion.
It was all done on my iPad2 : virtual instruments, loops, iRig to plug in my actual guitar, iPad2 built in mic for vocals. (and I read the lyrics Niveous sent me on the iPad2 as well.
That $5 Garageband app for the iPad2 is awesome! If you have an iPad, I highly recommend it!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers