You See My Reviews First, But Not If I See You First Reviews

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
EvelBist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: alienation disgust virtue
Recording Method: Reaper/Roland QuadCapture/AddictiveDrums
Submitting as: New Image, Sausage

Re: You See My Reviews First, But Not If I See You First Rev

Post by EvelBist »

[quote="Generic"]
New Image
You're not even technically hitting any sour notes, but you're really straining your voice in a manner that doesn't match the song, and it's not pleasant to listen to, either. I know not everyone has a great set of pipes or whatever, but this is one of the worst cases I've ever heard of an otherwise-passable song being derailed by one bad element.

[quote="Caravan Ray"]
New Image: Great vocals. Great lyrics. I want to do a cover of this. Love it.

Cool ... the song evokes reactions similar to those Corvettes get. I'm humbled.
jlampson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: Presonus Studio One
Submitting as: John Lampson

Post by jlampson »

Thanks to all for their participation in fighting and reviewing. Figured I'd throw some words down in response to some of the reviews since I wasn't entering the "Shot Down" fight.
Caravan Ray wrote:John Lampson: Love the delivery. Don't actually understand the lyrics - but it sounds great.
Thank you! I was even there in less than 30 minutes! Did you mean that you understood the words but not the message? Just wanted to make sure - I'm often accused of not enunciating properly.
EvelBist wrote:is that a kazoo in there? cool! lot's of energy here. i'm going to have to try the panned multi-guitar presentation. This has a super cool tempo change to it. The vocals leave a bit to be desired, however, the overall structure lets a creative mind see where you are going and overlook it all since the outcome is very acceptable. Anyway, very enjoyable listen!
A kazoo? Oh, I wish I had thought of that; are you talking about the bass harmonics or the backing vocals or something? Sadly, I can't take credit for something as awesome as a kazoo. I'm glad you enjoyed and, because I'm always looking to improve, I wanted to see if you'd be willing to share what about the vocals is less than desirable to you. Thanks!
j$ wrote:John Lampson - Loving that backing track. Shame you wobble off pitch-wise too many times, given how loud in the mix the vocal is - not that I care too much about pitchy singing, but if you're going to put it that far fore-front, you're going to run the risk of it coming back to bite you on the pitchy arse. Pitchily.
"too many times"? How many is "just the right amount"? Ha! I do tend the mix the vocal very hot (that and the kick) and sometimes it's too much, which I think was part of the issue this time. As for the vocal performance, I didn't spend a lot of time on it. This song came together within a couple of days and then I focused on other aspects of life. I know I missed a lot of obvious things but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out.
Generic wrote:John Lampson
Cocky, confident intro. Strong vocal performance. Good narrative. Different percussion in the chorus. This is a little rough around the edges, but it's the most polished entry in this fight so far. Ooh, bad rhyme alert! "Love" and "Sent from above" is strained and trite. Consider reworking that line if you revise this song. Good outro.
Dear Generic (if that is your real name), yes, that is a bad rhyme. Any suggestions? I have a couple of ideas but yours might be better and I can just thieve them. Please.

Alright, let's hear what you guys and gals have for this coming fight - I'm eagerly anticipating!

John
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

jlampson wrote:
j$ wrote:John Lampson - Loving that backing track. Shame you wobble off pitch-wise too many times, given how loud in the mix the vocal is - not that I care too much about pitchy singing, but if you're going to put it that far fore-front, you're going to run the risk of it coming back to bite you on the pitchy arse. Pitchily.
"too many times"? How many is "just the right amount"? Ha!John
Your song sets the benchmark :)
Actually, as I say in the mix, I don't care about pitchy singing (it would be rather hypocritical of me), just felt in this instance it's too high in the mix, and therefore I find it more distracting than if the vocal was, say, 15/20% lower in the mix.

j$
jlampson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals
Recording Method: Presonus Studio One
Submitting as: John Lampson

Post by jlampson »

Alright! The blue ribbon is mine!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Whenever some frustrated noob complains that "This isn't Song Fight, it's more like Production Fight," I'm going to refer them back to this fight. A beautiful song, beautifully performed in a single take with low production values. Uninanmously well-reviewed and well deservedly won by a landslide.

Congratulations, Holly. I look forward to hearing more of your material.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Holly Furlone

Post by Holly Furlone »

On the whole I tend to shy away from public threads but wanted to thank folks for taking the time to review all of the entries and for the feedback on mine. I was surprised by the win, as well, and look forward the next one. :)
-Holly
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Holly Furlone wrote:On the whole I tend to shy away from public threads but wanted to thank folks for taking the time to review all of the entries and for the feedback on mine. I was surprised by the win, as well, and look forward the next one. :)
-Holly
Plus you dodge the SFBB Spambot by posting something public. ;)

FYI: We'll let you keep recording on your iPhone if you buy one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiC/

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Holly Furlone »

Right! Also, I am now the proud owner of an amp AND a microphone...just gotta figure out how to use them :)
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Holly Furlone wrote:Right! Also, I am now the proud owner of an amp AND a microphone...just gotta figure out how to use them :)
Post a description of your setup to the Help & How To thread and we will all happily help you figure it out.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

flatulent whooping monkey boy j$ wrote:That's some singing! Shortbutsweet. If I'm being brutally honest, I'm not completely sure the song is strong enough to support the bare-bones arrangement.
Generic wrote: ... Uninanmously well-reviewed.
Well,for the record, a) uninanmously is not a word. b)not quite, but I am more than happy to see/hear Holly win. More please (and I don't care about production values, for better or worse).
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Holly Furlone »

jb wrote:
Holly Furlone wrote:Right! Also, I am now the proud owner of an amp AND a microphone...just gotta figure out how to use them :)
Post a description of your setup to the Help & How To thread and we will all happily help you figure it out.

JB
Done. Thank you, jb!
j$ wrote:
flatulent whooping monkey boy j$ wrote:That's some singing! Shortbutsweet. If I'm being brutally honest, I'm not completely sure the song is strong enough to support the bare-bones arrangement.
Generic wrote: ... Uninanmously well-reviewed.
Well,for the record, a) uninanmously is not a word. b)not quite, but I am more than happy to see/hear Holly win. More please (and I don't care about production values, for better or worse).
J$, thanks for the encouragement :)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

j$ wrote: a) uninanmously is not a word.
And I'm sure all your posts are proofread meticulously.
j$ wrote: b)not quite, but I am more than happy to see/hear Holly win. More please (and I don't care about production values, for better or worse).
Okay, maybe "not quite," but I still think your review was mostly positive. You've definitely handed down harsher judgments to less deserving targets. Anyway, I've had a few long absences over the years, but I think we might need to go back to "More Than Soup" to find a consensus like this. But that review thread is gone forever. Ah well.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Generic wrote:
j$ wrote: a) uninanmously is not a word.
And I'm sure all your posts are proofread meticulously.
Obvuiously.
generic wrote:gone forever. Ah well.
Yeah, that's called, I'm told, getting older / maturing. Which are you doing? I know where I stand - as if I hadn't aged an hour in the last ten years, regardless of what other people think. It's the only way to function :)
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Post by josh »

While I voted for Paco Del Stinko (cool track, I like the goofy vocal vibe), I gotta say, "Moves like Jäger" was by far my favorite line. Although a close second is a misheard line from Kraken's chorus. Ah, are we allowed to post slightly off colored stuff, cause I'd love to share my interpretation. Haha.