"Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
darricklucas
Brony
Submitting as: darricklucas

"Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Post by darricklucas »

Anyone interested in talking out their creative process or having a brainstorming thread?

Let's rip this suitcase open and see what is inside.

There's a good start.

What's in the suitcase?
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Re: "Suitcase"

Post by AJOwens »

Emptiness and sorrow. There's something sad about suitcases.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

excellent point. The suitcase is symbolism. Someone is leaving someplace and going somewhere else - moving on, saying goodbye.

Could it not just as easily represent new beginnings tho?
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

I think the first thing we need to identify is why we are singing, then what the suitcase represent will fall into personal context
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

I am starting my worksheet here and I keep wanting to ask the question 'what is in the suitcase?' Answering that question will tell us whose suitcase it is and where they are going, what they are preparing to encounter.
AJOwens
Panama

Post by AJOwens »

A lot of songfighters try to think outside the box (no pun intended). Finding (and jealously guarding) an original slant is part of the fun.
AJOwens
Panama

Post by AJOwens »

Google images is just full of interesting stuff.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

AJOwens wrote:Google images is just full of interesting stuff.
Good idea. I am definitely typing 'what's in your suitcase' as we speak to see what comes up.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

AJOwens wrote:A lot of songfighters try to think (no pun intended). Finding (and jealously guarding) an original slant is part of the fun.

I understand wanting to keep your own intellectual property but I would not consider a brainstorming session intellectual property.

Why else have we come here if not to share ideas?
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

To share songs. It's a fight. Collaborate with someone if you want to share ideas. And I'm not jealously gaurding anything. But I'd guard that cool suitcase amp if it were mine!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

All I can think of is Glenn Case's Sweet Canadian Mullet.

CHECK OUT MY SUITCASE!! CHECK OUT MY SUITCASE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIFfCQvSus
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:To share songs. It's a fight. Collaborate with someone if you want to share ideas. And I'm not jealously gaurding anything. But I'd guard that cool suitcase amp if it were mine!
Yeah dat thang is tite!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:To share songs. It's a fight. Collaborate with someone if you want to share ideas.
+1
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

It's a good title, I am expecting a lot of entries for it. I want to get one in this time and have two ideas so far that are complete opposites of each other - one quite sad song idea - one quite happy song idea ... haven't made up my mind yet.
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

chocolatechips wrote:It's a good title, I am expecting a lot of entries for it. I want to get one in this time and have two ideas so far that are complete opposites of each other - one quite sad song idea - one quite happy song idea ... haven't made up my mind yet.
Yeah man I am also dealing with same dilemma.

I think it's because the suitcase represents transition - so we are either

Leaving something good - sad
Going towards something good - happy
Leaving something bad - hopeful, happy
Heading towards something bad - anxious, sad

Here is a little game I played with some of my roommates, I asked 'where are you going' and 'what's in your suitcase'. I figure if I can imagine what's in the case it will give me some hints as to what is going on in the story.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Why must I be a man in a suitcase?
It isn't me......
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

And here I was gonna write about The Suitcase Killer.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

darricklucas wrote:
AJOwens wrote:A lot of songfighters try to think (no pun intended). Finding (and jealously guarding) an original slant is part of the fun.

I understand wanting to keep your own intellectual property but I would not consider a brainstorming session intellectual property.

If we were all sitting around trying to come up with one song between us, a brainstorming session would be a pretty swell way to do it. However, what we're doing here is trying to come up with one song each. For a lot of people here, the creative process is an individual thing. You might find some people willing to gab about what's going through their mind as they write a song, but I think you'll have better luck in the review thread, after the songs are finished. For instance, I might tell Billy and the Psychotics that there's a line in their song I can't make sense of, and BLT might respond by explaining what he meant by the line, then busting my chops a bit for overthinking it.

Or perhaps Lunkhead might comment on the vocal recording method in a Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints song, and Johnny Cashpoint might respond with how he recorded the vocals, and why he did it that particular way.

What I've noticed over the years is that many Songfighters are a bit shy or paranoid about discussing their song (in anything but the most general terms) before it's done, but then we get really eager to talk about the finished product, because it's new, and we're proud of that thing we just did, and it's probably going to be stuck in our heads for the next week even if it's not actually any good at all.

So basically what I'm saying is this: The whole back-and-forth discussion thing you're trying to force? It'll happen on its own, so you don't really need to worry a whole lot about that.

And if you think you'll work better if you have a collaborator to bounce ideas off of, there's a subforum for that.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

darricklucas wrote:blah, blah, blah.
Get. A. Grip.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Kip Lightning
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Bfd3 with roland td4
Submitting as: Lighting Shark

Re: "Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Post by Kip Lightning »

I just wrote something. Maybe ok
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Re: "Suitcase" - PRE-FIGHT DISCUSSION/ARGUING

Post by RangerDenni »

Jon, I think BLT just wanted to call you Copernicus. But don't think too deeply on it. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
darricklucas
Brony

Post by darricklucas »

Generic wrote:
darricklucas wrote:

If we were all sitting around trying to come up with one song between us, a brainstorming session would be a pretty swell way to do it. However, what we're doing here is trying to come up with one song each. For a lot of people here, the creative process is an individual thing. You might find some people willing to gab about what's going through their mind as they write a song, but I think you'll have better luck in the review thread, after the songs are finished. For instance, I might tell Billy and the Psychotics that there's a line in their song I can't make sense of, and BLT might respond by explaining what he meant by the line, then busting my chops a bit for overthinking it.

Or perhaps Lunkhead might comment on the vocal recording method in a Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints song, and Johnny Cashpoint might respond with how he recorded the vocals, and why he did it that particular way.

What I've noticed over the years is that many Songfighters are a bit shy or paranoid about discussing their song (in anything but the most general terms) before it's done, but then we get really eager to talk about the finished product, because it's new, and we're proud of that thing we just did, and it's probably going to be stuck in our heads for the next week even if it's not actually any good at all.

So basically what I'm saying is this: The whole back-and-forth discussion thing you're trying to force? It'll happen on its own, so you don't really need to worry a whole lot about that.

And if you think you'll work better if you have a collaborator to bounce ideas off of, there's a subforum for that.

tl;dr