Happily ever after...? (Grim Reality reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Happily ever after...? (Grim Reality reviews)

Post by mo »

Hi everyone! I was going to reply like a few days ago to the question of what the hell with all the "vs." stuff, but it looks like Lunkhead has already filled the vacuum. I was more pleased with the unicorn song myself overall, although I did have more guitar wankery to do on the realty song (perhaps that's why I like the unicorn one better...). And on the one that's just BSS, I played some guitar too. Glenn's got a beautiful 335 that really sounds amazing through Sam's JTM--I don't get much chances to just crank a NMV amp over in China; so I've been really wondering a lot about what my Strat would sound like through that amp.

Anyway, yeah, for just a couple of takes it wasn't too bad. Martin, Glenn, Sam and Ken played like pros. D did his thing and I agree, he's better when he's singing it straight as opposed to trying to do a voice. He did have a couple more beers by the time he improvised the Grim Realty lyric, and I guess it shows.

I liked a lot of songs in this fight, but in the end I kind of have to agree with State Shirt; inflatable vegetables were my pick. I mean, musically it's not maybe the most interesting song, but I felt like a lot of the songs in the fight were pretty good but were just sort of like what those people do, you know? Even the unicorn DT vs BSS song is like, that's pretty much what you would have thought would happen if you put D and me in a room with the BSS guys. You know, like it's an ok song with some decent playing and production; I felt like a bunch of other entries were like that, just ok to decently good songs that had great performance and production, but sort of lacked a certain kind of vital spark. But the iveg song had a certain energy to it that felt different to me; that's what I liked about it anyway.