That Stingy Michelin Man! (Three Stars Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: That Stingy Michelin Man! (Three Stars Reviews)

Post by iVeg »

I try to review, but I get interrupted every 30 seconds or so.
I made an effort to listen to the entire Klownhole track. I usually can't. I wish there was more variation.
Tyler, I was continually surprised by the turns your story took. Very stream of consciousness.
BSS - Very loose this week.

Constant interruptions. Sigh.
facebook.com/ivegband
iVeg
Mean Street

Post by iVeg »

Cookie Blue - one of my favorite melodies this week.
Glennny - it's all about the guitar. It's like a nightmare where I can finally play like I want, but I can't play anything I like.
Hillbilly- touching, poignant. The "feeling" part reminds me of the Friends episode where Joey is trying to give a wedding message.
Hoblit - i'm glad I didn't go punk this week, cause you do it much better.
Iveg - I'm finally getting the nerve to play my stuff for other musicians. Who actually know me. I felt very bored after the second chorus, could have really used a bridge.
IP Army - i liked it mostly, but not the ending.
Jerkatorium - i like the intro, verse one, all the little parts, not the chorus so much, funny bridge. I think it may just be the harmony in the chorus that's throwing me off.
J$ - quirky

and i keep getting interrupted. I'll have to try again later.
facebook.com/ivegband
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Berkeley Social Scene I think this suffers a bit from not being able to practice the vocals longer before having to record by the deadline. I have the same problem. As a Songfight! entry, I can look past this. I like the structure and the dueling guitar rhythms, one in each ear. I'm kind of a sucker for that. However, outside of that I think the song lacks some of the energy it tries to achieve. Where the two guitars break out into their own guitar solo seems to emphasize that. This is one of those very listenable songs that don't seem to get there. It isn't the worst, it isn't the best.

Cookie Blue The doubling vocal melody loses me a little bit but I do like when they break apart into harmony. I also like the subtle percussion instruments. This reminds me of Cat Power somehow, whether that is good or bad. This is a listenable entry that I have respect for, not bad at all. This one, like the last one, seems to have an unfinished feel or there just wasn't time enough to get the full effect or vision it was truly going for. Overall though, I like it.

glennny I hear Captain Beefheart in this, maybe with a different vocalist. One might go Zappa with this. I realize that this means there is a lot of thought to each piece coming together just right. I can respect that although I'm not crazy about this sound. I think this organized chaos also needed a bit more time in order to tighten it up. I'm not crazy about the finished product, but as stated, I'm not into this sound to begin with. So I think that this is a good effort and I'm impressed with the complicated and imaginative performance, but it really isn't my thing.

hillbilly While I can appreciate the sentiment, believe me. I am not crazy about the lyrics themselves though. And while this performance seems to be heart felt, it misses the mark on execution. That can be distracting and I believe it takes away from the song. The overall sound is spot on for what it is going for, I'm juts not crazy about it.

Hoblit Why don't you just kiss my ***. (I'm not happy with my melody and vocal performance that suffers from only having done this song in two days.)

inflatable vegetables This reminds me of a slower Danielson's Family piece or an older They Might Be Giants song. I'm not crazy about this as a whole. I'm just not fond of the instrument choice or the vocal performance. I do hear a structure and effort and I can say keep it up and maybe down the road I'll come around on another recording.

Intoxicated Penguin Army I hear a lot of talent here. It almost reminds me of a break in a full blown musical. I can appreciate that. The whole story must be great! The instrument choices are spot on and this is a well executed and listenable piece. This will get a vote from me. I like the vocal style (because of it being Musical like) and all of the pieces coming together. There is a gang vocal deal here that I'm a sucker for (as my own entry illustrates) and the effort, performance and everything is just right. This is good work, thank you for such a good entry to listen to this week.

Jerkatorium I always appreciate a well constructed and listenable song. This is one of those, there isn't much to criticize on the instrumental performance if not a little generic. But it is well done and the instruments sound like they all belong in this song, interacting with each other. I like the little xylophone fills and overall sound that comes together. The vocals are not bad exactly, as in they are on target. (Although it sounds like it might be a bit processed) But they sound a bit out of place with the energy created by the rest of it. Maybe a little more care toward blending the styles, otherwise it seems to me that the vocals are a lot quieter than the music around them. In cranking them, you lose a bit of that energy. However, these things can also be chalked up to the time limitations. A decent and listenable piece.

Johnny Cashpoint I have to say that this is tickling me in a good way that I wouldn't have expected to otherwise. It's cartoonish but fun. I don't know why I like it as much as I do beause it has some of the same issues as some of the entries before this one. However, I think it squeaked in for a vote. If I wanted to criticize anything, I think the doubling of the vocals may be there to cover up for something and the rest of the recording is a bit lo-fi. But again, with that said, I quite like it. Thank you for a listenable song this week.

Klownhole My momma' taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say, get it out there and make them feel as low as possible about themselves. It wasn't good advice but she still calls me names every once and a while. I'll spare you as I have nothing constructive to say about this entry.

Nick Soma I like it. There is a clear pop punk influence here and I'm a sucker for that. I usually go a bit more garage sounding myself, but we're here to talk about YOUR song. I really like how tight the performance is. I especially like the vocal style. Rough, risky but in tune where it counts. It's snotty but not whiny and the simple but effective guitar parts along with the steady execution of everything bouncing in sync with each other just ties it all together. Quick, but not too short at the same time. This definitely gets a vote and I appreciate your excellent entry this week. May you beat me, sir.

N.M.D.T. There was a time in Songfight! history where true serious rap was poorly executed. MC Frontalot has always been king but is a far cry from serious rap. So I'm pretty impressed with this. I'm not crazy about the genre but I do recognize the effort and I could easily see this blasting out of someone's car around these parts down here. I like the break downs, I can get into with a little head bobbing, like I was cool or something. That's it! Your song makes me feel cool! It's not perfect but I can hardly fault it. Well done and I'm voting for this just because I can tell it is a good song whether it is my cup or tea or not. Good work and thank you for a very listenable entry this week.

State Shirt I've been a fan and listening to your last couple of entries, I still am. You seem to be softening it up a little but no worries there, it is still really good without crossing the line to cheese. There is a very modern sound going on here and it takes me into its world. I like the fat digital snare along with the loud echo clap. Your voice is smooth as always and I like the effects that seem to accent them just right. This rivals as my favorite entry this week. This entry makes me slink back into my chair remembering how many times I've been out ranked by you! Good work and I'm looking forward to more from you in the future.

toby roktot Cute concept. It would appear that this is the second (or maybe third) use of this three star concept. And like the other, I can appreciate the sentiment. However, I'm not crazy about the execution. Reminds me of something that could have come off of a live folk record. (Has a bit of a Nebraska (Bruce Springsteen) feel, but the vocal style is a bit different.) I'm not saying that this is bad in any way, but this really isn't the sort of thing I'm into. I do like some intimate and tender songs with man & guitar (and harmonica) but I'm picky. Especially when it comes to folk vs country. I don't like the in-between very much and this seems to flirt with that grey area. Good listenable song, just not my thing.

Tyler Zahnke The Midas Touch? I'm not crazy about this and I don't have very much of anything constructive to say except that I hear that you put some effort into this. More effort will equal more reward and I hope that you take this criticism well.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hoblit wrote: Johnny Cashpoint Thank you for a listenable song this week.
Well, it's only taken me eleven years. My pleasure :)
iVeg
Mean Street

Post by iVeg »

J$ - I don't love it, I don't hate it.
NMDT - How do you get your mouths to move that FAST?
Nick Soma - great as usual. I really like the intro/ riff and the energy of this one.
State Shirt - prechorus was stronger than your chorus. Stronger than almost everybody else's chorus.
Toby - going for tender and gentle... made for hard listening, because it was so quiet.
facebook.com/ivegband
stateshirt
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: state shirt

Post by stateshirt »

Woah! Thanks for the votes and for the feedback on my song. I was sure NMDT was going to win, really digging that track this week. :shock: :D