Review What You Want (Be What You Want Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Review What You Want (Be What You Want Reviews)

Post by ken »

A what you want
B what you want
C what you want
D what you want
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Re: Review What You Want (Be What You Want Reviews)

Post by Jefff »

My song's not up for some reason. Here it is if anyone wants to listen:
http://actdead.com/mp3s/add_bwyw.mp3
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

We got it Jeff, it will go up! When Sam awakes!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Fixed. See the other thread for details.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

In return for folks writing songs that might be used in the video, I asked Lindsay to review all the entries. She did six, and Azizal (who stars in and edited the video) reviewed them all. Here is their message.
LINDSAY SAYS: Please thank the Songfighters immensely for doing this for us. It's hard to build affordable homes in the country's most expensive real estate market - and by providing us these songs, they help us recruit more amazing AmeriCorps, who interface with ALL of our volunteers, who build our houses and donate to us to build more houses at Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco. So songs=homes. THANK YOU!
AZIZAL SAYS: Like Lindsay, I have precisely no background to be judging other people’s music. I also tried to include one line of something vaguely constructive, but it’s pretty limited to ‘this is what I liked!’. Feel free to ignore that as the ramblings of a layman. In general, though, amazing work. I sort of can’t believe there are people in the world, normal people especially, who can just…make music happen. What.
{JB Note-- it's cute that AZIZAL thinks you people are normal.}

Add: <-- Lindsay's favorite
LINDSAY: This one is so great. I want to walk through a very crowded subway station listening to this song. The clapping is such an awesome touch. And heck yeah on the David Bowie-in-space sound effects. I love the quiet part in the 3rd quarter of the song and how it builds back up.

AZIZAL: Most likely to get Shazam’d (for catchy folksiness!) during the closing credits of an indie movie starring Jesse Eisenberg/Michael Cera and Ellen Page/Kristen Stewart; Best blending of acoustic baselike sounds w/ synth-y sounds. These lyrics are good lyrics. Keep writing them so that songs can keep telling stories, because those are important for sharing.

Boltoph
LINDSAY: Beeeeeeeeeeeee. This song is sweet, like running through the green grass in a dress with a fluffy dog and someone you like and you roll down the hill and somehow you don’t get terrible grass itch (maybe it’s artificial grass?). And then you lie at the bottom and look up at the clouds and think ‘real people don’t do this, do they?” but life is that good.

AZIZAL: Most likely to be purchased by me for the sole purpose of long, contemplative walks on rainy Pacific Northwest beaches; Coldplay-iest. I actually really like this one. I would buy it for real. These guys should probably tour.

Dilys Keeble and the Bicester Councillors
LINDSAY: Breathe… Be what you want. Love the chorus of this song. I love how this song makes me feel. I like how it builds in the middle. And the message is so great. I love this. Super joyful like that rescued circus black bear who’d like never been in a pool of water or whatever in that youtube video.

AZIZAL: Coolest vamp/intro; Best use of that cello-sounding instrument in the beginning. This sounds like something I’d hear on the radio, so that’s cool. I like the bridge a whole bunch. It’s inspiring like after you graduate from college and you don’t know what you want to do, and someone FINALLY tells you that it’s okay that you don’t know, and then you’re like, “Oh, cool. I’m def not a failure.” That is also cool.

From a Basement
LINDSAY: I like this song in its melancholy, hauntedness. It makes you believe the guy in black skinny jeans with the cheek piercing and the stutter is going to make it. There’s a girl and a horizon and someone somewhere believes in him and he drives into the distance to find his new self.

AZIZAL: Best length for a YouTube video; most marketable-iest; Muse-iest; best use of triangle (or maybe some type of bell?). Also first runner-upiest. Definitely my favorite of the entries, and the only reason we *didn’t* end up using it was the perfect beach hike-y level of mellowness it exudes. I would like this as a ringtone. Or as a wedding band, that works, too.

Inflatable Vegetables <-- selected to be used in the video
LINDSAY: This one is super literal but I totally love it. It has this little nod to the beach boys that I love and this weird little keyboard riff that reminds me of the SNL Christmas special where tracy morgan is dancing and that small guy who used to act like the monkey is playing a keyboard. It has the right spirit for the video we’re making. In a way I expect to hear this song playing when I start a video game at the arcade.

AZIZAL: Most likely to be played at a 60s beach party; Beach Boys-iest; most compelling wherein the compulsion is to consume tropical drinks. Super catchy. This has been stuck in my head for 48 hours, and I don’t even mind. Why’d you win?: It’s upbeat and fun from the beginning, which was perfect for the tone of the video. Also, the explicit mention of things happening in the video (“put on your headphones”; “you want to take action”) is just timed real well. “Be amazing” sort of became the tagline/marketing campagn, so that was helpful, too.

{JB Note-- Here's the video (I'm given to understand that a credit will be added to the end shortly):}

Margaret Benson and the Cheese Trio
LINDSAY: Made me laugh so hard. Who is this guy? Is he a vampire? Is he wearing a cape? He’s definitely bald. And there’s a mummy just ripping up the electric guitar. I wonder if it’s so funny it would be distracting?

AZIZAL: Most poetic; Will Ferrel-iest. This person has my exact sense of humor and possibly cynicism, but with way more musical talent. I would like to meet them. But I’m sorry about their maybe apocryphal bee sting allergy. Those things are serious.

aNomaly
AZIZAL: Best piano bridge thing; creepiest. This person has a future in video game soundtracks, and I love it. This is probably the boss level, for when you need to feel stoked, but also a little scared. Also also, it makes me think of the closing line of Animal Farm, but I’m not really sure why. I really like that book, though.

Astrolamb
AZIZAL: most Elvis as Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors solos; drummiest. That drumline (is that what it’s called?) is real nice.

johndisk0
AZIZAL: Bassiest; most reminiscent of Sugar Hill Gang and also car horns. I think these lyrics are probably best for the message of the video, esp. the parts about perspiration, because Habitat builds houses, which is sweaty work.

MooseMuse
AZIZAL: Jazziest; Yoda-iest. I dunno how I feel about the vocals…or the lyrics (they remind me of the scene in Twilight where Robert Pattinson is just IN Kristen Stewart’s bedroom one night, no explanation?), but I think this guitar is pretty freakin’ awesome. It makes me want to go to an outdoor music festival, and I *hate* festivals.

Skadaddle
AZIZAL: That episode of SNL hosted by Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig where they do that dance and just keep saying, “haTHE DANCE!”-iest. Most false endings-iest. Songs of inspiration are important for kids, esp. the ones allergic to bees. These guys are doing God’s work, and they should be proud.

{JB NOTE: I don't actually know who this last one is for}
guynguitar
AZIZAL: Music-iest; clearest call to action; favorite guitar. I would like for this person to please teach me how to play guitar. I could offer payment in oatmeal and bananas.
johndisk0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums, Bass, Singing
Recording Method: Goldwave and the Pro Metronome app
Submitting as: johndisk0

Post by johndisk0 »

LINDSAY SAYS: Inflatable Vegetables <-- selected to be used in the video
GRATS iVeg!!

AZIZAL SAYS: johndisk0 - Bassiest; most reminiscent of Sugar Hill Gang and also car horns. I think these lyrics are probably best for the message of the video, esp. the parts about perspiration, because Habitat builds houses, which is sweaty work.
Glad to know something worked as the rest of my song was shite. Now I have to suffer through a week's worth of reviews :)

-jd0
Ryan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Ryan »

I just spent two hours reviewing every song and I got logged out and lost everything. Operator error, I guess.

Here we go again but less:

Add - Backing vocals are not adding anything much to me, synth sound is interesting, but the fake clap is not doing it for me- I think it needs a kick drum. But that might take away from the late night bedroom alone feeling of the song. I think it needs a kick drum. Scientology reference, be careful, they will stalk you.

aNomaly - NIN vibe, cool arrangement. I like the huge verb on the drums in the breakdown. I think the vocals sustaining on the long EEE sound kind of drags down the energy in an irritating way, I'd use echo, a freeze effect, or something to correct that or just hold the note way less. Do I think it sounds like NIN because I know next to nothing about electronic/industrial music, or does it actually sound like NIN? We'll never neubauten.

Atrochutney: Cool drum beat- octave guitar riff sounds played out, but that's from a guy playing throwback nineties stuff, so grain of salt. One part has a mistake where the major third (?) note is added and it sounds better that way. Backing vox trill was cute the first time, not so much after that. Astrokorma.

BSS - we had fun with this one. Ken and Martyr are in each other's pockets, which made Glennn and I feel weird and voyeuristic in a good way. The proper name third person verses into the 1st/2nd tense chorus bothers me, but maybe it is a good balance. Silly bridge vox sound like Cake and I hate Cake. If you almost voted for us and then couldn't get passed the bridge, I understand. The solo is Glennnuine Glen. I used a microsynth pedal on the baritone guitar, which is tasteless and gratuitous, like fake sour cream topping on roller rink nachos. I tried to cram a bunch of words into the verses and then we upped the tempo. I was like, "give me one more take and I'll nail it." That take never came. New genre- "BeMo?"

Bolton - Tight drums in the intro, reverse guitar is ok- but the drums seem to get off track. I want the lyrics to either make more or less sense. As it stands now, it is generic and makes a poppy love song that I can't really connect with. The sustained vocals in the chorus are impressive for the harmony... Did you record a guitar with new strings? Something is out of tune at the end. Had some moments.

Cookie Blue - ok, I want to hear more from Cookie Blue. Having said that- the acoustic guitar is way too loud and full range on the EQ, and the strumming pattern needs to vary in the different parts, or it is boring. When a song sounds good with just acoustic guitar and vocals, and then you add more instrumentation- try thinning out the acoustic guitar so that it add percussion and sparkle, but get you lower meaty tones from the rest of the band- see Basement for a good example. Try recording that piano with a mic inside by the soundboard. And while you're in there, playback the vocals into the piano with the sustain pedal depressed, and record that sound and mix it back into the song for atmosphere. Do you know my friend, Stu Mag?* He would definitely fix that off-time kick drum that sets off the build.

Dily et al - My favorite song, it has grown on me- my only complaint is that the major key chorus kills the vibe. Stay minor, in the Interpol, Magnetic Fields, Silver Jews range and I'm your new groupie. So many memorable lines. Worth repeat listens. See after the breakdown, you run the chorus in minor key and it is super dope. Perfect ending. Vote.

From a Basement - not just any basement, Elliot Smith's basement. But seriously, I love the Heatmiser harmonies. The textures added by the glock and sci-fi saw blade organs are really cool. The chorus is fun, but I'd experiment with alternatives to just eighth notes on the bass- maybe quarter notes or a syncopated line with the kick- maybe try that if you do an extended version. Voted.

Inflatable Vegetables - Preachy vocals are a turn off. "you could be so amazing" is not encouraging to me, its naggy- could be my issues. I'm not into this. This song needs Ukelele- the vibrato in your vox has a Hawaiian feel.

Johndisk0.0 - Rhyming Hendrix with Sentence almost makes up for all of the other bad rhymes. Almost. The horn keyboard pads are funny- helping the song to not take itself so seriously. It this a drum loop- and if so, did that drum loop have an extra micro beat that didn't get cut out so the time is kinda off? clap intro and outro reminds me of Strong Bad songs.

Margaret Benson and Tres Quesos - Major chord rythm guitar with minor scale guitar solo over it- is a statement, and not a statement. Nice kimchee reference. Could this be the inspiration for a forthcoming concept album entitled, "Anaflaxix 3050?"

MooseMuse - Beatles, "Do you want to know a secret?" stolen riff. too much reverb in the first solo, too many solos after the first solo. I like the Tom Waits-ness of it all- maybe push that further by adding some pots and pans or found object percussion. I like the idea of the narrator/voice of this song having ladies sending him naked pics and he just doesn't care- unless that is some sick subscription service he has on his phone, in which case, that is a waste of money.

Gesser, Scott: Vocals take away from the punk levels, maybe the guitar needs to cut through a bit more. Also- pet peeve- palm muted guitar in the first verse is pulling the guitar sharp relative to the bass, hike that right hand closer to the bridge to correct. I'm not into this much, I think it lacks originality in general. Yeah the higher guitar solo at the end has that struggle quality that fits better. It's pronounced "fin-GAS."

Skadaddle - Funny stuff- this did wonders for my fat chin. So you killed Rommel? Percussion adds to the loungy (Richard) cheesy playful quality. Not much replayability.

* Studio Magic
johndisk0
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums, Bass, Singing
Recording Method: Goldwave and the Pro Metronome app
Submitting as: johndisk0

Post by johndisk0 »

Ryan wrote:Johndisk0 - Rhyming Hendrix with Sentence almost makes up for all of the other bad rhymes. Almost. The horn keyboard pads are funny- helping the song to not take itself so seriously. It this a drum loop- and if so, did that drum loop have an extra micro beat that didn't get cut out so the time is kinda off? clap intro and outro reminds me of Strong Bad songs.
Oh yeah, trust me, I didn't want to write this song. My daughter kept pressing me to enter this because she wanted "daddy's song in a video", which I was sure wouldn't win. Fightmaster Jr. said I couldn't use samples, so everything was created by me on a keyboard, and as a sample remixer, that hurt my soul. I know my song sucks, and I was going to let this review go without response, but you said "Strong Bad" and made me smile, because that is exactly why I put them in :) Thanks!

-jd0

(JUST THE CLAPS! -strongbad)
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

The claps are real.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

the claps are a lie!
bgm
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitars, vocals, some drums, some keys, various shaky things
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: bgm, 73 Keep It Beautiful, From A Basement

Post by bgm »

Hey thanks for the reviews so far.
I'm not great at critiques. It's awesome that people can whip together a song on such short notice and I always think that any criticism is a little pointless because people have already moved on. That said, here's a few lines, just quick impressions of everyone's stuff.

Margret Benson and the Cheese Trio
Fade in!
Okay you had me at kim chee.
Who doesn’t love a one-chord drone song?
This goes in my playlist of rhyming-dictionary tunes.

Scott Gesser
Nice guitar tone. And I’ll always root for a dude who goes for the falsetto.
I have a thing about fake drum kits though.

From A Basement (me)
It’s tricky doing a soundtrack for a video you haven’t seen yet, isn’t it?
I’d read the description of the parody video, but then I scored this to the Beats video just for timing and convenience, and I guess the sensibility of the darker video just kinda seeped in. It’s not really “upbeat.” It actually kind of works pretty well with the Beats video, though.
Alas, the words are super corny and I don’t really like the chorus. It is what it is.

Astrolamb
I love the guitar line doubled with organ. Always a great sound.
Trying to think of the song it reminds me of. Deep Purple? Golden Earring? Can’t remember.

aNomaly
Not sure at the start if we’re at the dentist or I’m getting my snow tires installed (obligatory Dad comment.)
But hey, really great when the groove kicks in. I like the chorus and I’d love to hear a really crisp, clear pounding mix of this.

Dilys Keeble and the Bicester Councillors
Awesome name.
Great song. Nice arrangement. A nitpicky thing, but because most of the instruments that eventually come in sound clean and softwarey, the room-sound of your mic becomes a bit jarring, juxtaposed. Your vocal is great and natural, as is the plucky guitar. I think it could have been a song just about that. Vote.

Add
Acoustic sounds great and the vox are really loose, natural and soulful.
I love that simple combo of the acoustic and the bass. Really works.
I think the fakey-sounding claps and synth business is kinda superfluous; it works without it.
I love just the more organ stuff for the build at the end. Good groove overall.

MooseMuse
Oh man I love this.
The faux Louis Armstrong vocal works aces with the kind of stoner jazz circular chord pattern. Well done. Vote.

Boltoph
Great vocals and harmonies. I like the harmonies a lot. I’d like to hear them more upfront in the mix. I feel like the fake drums kind of take over and mask the nice melodies you have going on.

johndisk0
Rap!
I kind of love this is spite of itself and because of the pre-emptively disparaging comments you made about it. Again, I will never dis a man for having the courage to go for the falsetto: this chorus was a brave offering, and when the falsetto combined with that car honking it was sublime.

Skadaddle
Okay I thought this was terminally dumb for the first minute or so but then that Orlando Bloom line made me laugh in spite of myself and then all they HEY’s and YEAH’s made me laugh more and then it became a hilarious kind of post-modern ironyfest. And I went back and listened again and liked it more. So well done.

Cookie Blue
My favourite part is that one chord change at the beginning. You know the one. Nice melody. Double-tracked vocals are great; for me, I’d do them just on a verse or just on a chorus instead of the whole time. It’s almost like too much of a good thing. Like cookies. Nice happy arrangement.

Inflatable Vegetables
Wow, your voice at the beginning is a little early-Bowie-ish which I’m sure you’ve heard too much and maybe hate. Great vocals. Probably the most positive sounding song of the bunch. Nice ’n poppy.

Berkeley Social Scene
This is maybe my favourite. Starts like a ’70’s Can jam. So melancholy in the verses. Kind of loses me at the chorus, but that’s how I felt about my own entry as well. Really great in those verses though, just kind of poignant and a little sad. I’m so amazed that you guys do this every week and I can maybe do it a few times a year. So impressive. Vote.
Ryan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Ryan »

just kind of poignant and a little sad
BGM: All of the poignancy is added in post-production by Ken. He uses a plugin called "Poignstar*." So we fooled you. The raw tracks are just kind of and a little sad. I'm pretty sure Glennn is going to be happy about the Can comparison.

* You need a really fast machine to run this on account of how taxing it is on the silicone.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

enjoyed Boltoph entry----- good guitar tones and work, good job.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

My mom always said better late than never...be what she wants!

Add
Give me a good old campfire and bring all of your friends, too. Strikes me good after "move on". We need about ten more people in on the chorus and handclaps, to give this a real homestyle feel which it begs for. Maybe entry of a percussion instrument or two at some point would be a good spice to add to the marinade. Catchy, stylish. Good hook again on the "when will you move on".

aNomaly
Be what you want, even after you're dead and gone and lingering in the chaos of purgatory, or as a ghost haunting the halls of some old rusty steel and concrete building, channeling the spirit of Depeche Mode and dreaming of an oxygen machine.

Astrolamb
Be a Black Sabbath/White Stripes lovechild! I might suggest changing the words slightly after each "be just what you want". You could morph that line from "you'll be going alone" to "you'll be dead and I'll be gone" or some such. Just a thought.

Berkeley Social Scene
Be driving down a city highway on a summer day. Be sweaty and distraught if that's just the way you roll. And submit to the plate reverb vocal stylings of an older generation! Blends nicely and plays well even on small computer speakers.

Boltoph
bgm mentioned my track has fake drums...I'll take that as a compliment! (They're real...old japanese kick and toms, slingerland snare, decent Zildjians, two ribbons + SM57 + kick drum mic) my timing isn't so great and I didn't have time to beat correx 'em. Sorry the lead guitar may have been slightly flat towards the end. Thanks hillbilly! This is my once-every-five-years songfight entry.

Cookie Blue
One question I ask myself is, if I were a cookie, what kind of cookie would I be? I'd want to be a chewy white chocolate macadamia nut cookie with added peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. Yep, that's what I'd want. But I'm probably more of a chocolate chip. You are a lemon drop. I like the smooth legato vocals and I'm always a sucker for good vocal doubling.

Dilys
Be a cover of A Great Big World. That's where this sits for me. Would be better with piano and guest vocalist Christina Aguilera. It's cloudy but the sun tries to come out here and there. A family of being. A simple lad walking down a typical sidewalk, peering through the clouds to find the sun even when it's pouring rain.

From a Basement
Somewhere between the 1960s bubblegum pop and a broadway musical, is where this sits, for me. There's a melody straight out of Les Miserables in here somewhere. Be a shiny happy people person running Blind Melon-esque through a field of daisies, and nothing can hurt you there.

Inflatable Vegetables
Be absorbed in the philosophical exploration of life, the how; the why; the amazing versus the subliminaly awkward. Lazy but jumping up here and there to swat a fly. Like a trip to Chuck E. Cheese!

johndisk0
There's a 90 year old lady across the street, this is her theme song, like Octothorpe dreaming of ice cream. When the bees are buzzing and the sun is shining, she smiles. It warms up the whole street.

Margaret Benson et al
Be monotone is that's what you want; the important thing is to be what you want. This song is like an old man who refuses to move from his chair even though it's pouring rain. He drinks Budweiser and will not touch a glass of water unless it's water that was brewed with barley and malt. He doesn't care what we think. He's going to continue to sit there naked and drink budweiser.

Moosemuse
When the voices tell you what to be, do you listen to them or do you still try to pretend they're not real? That's the question I ask myself on a daily basis. When they start to growl, it gets me a little harried and I need to tune out completely. A walk through a local carnival will do wonders for a fear of clowns.

Scott Gesser
You can even be a Judas Priest fan, even if you like the Ramones. We all know this is a basic truth of life. Sometimes the dust builds up in a person's ears until we can no longer tell the difference between punk and rock. This is the way of the world; it is what it wants to be and nothing else.

Skadaddle
And if you win the game show tonight, you could be a millionaire. Welcome to ring four of a three ring circus. Here come the clowns, off with that tophat. Off with all the clothes as a matter of fact. Be what you want!