This cocaine didn't do anything for me. [No Rush Reviews]

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Re: This cocaine didn't do anything for me. [No Rush Reviews

Post by Chumpy »

hillbilly wrote:belive it or not clumpy women are not beating down my door. Disco been calling real late at night, by the time i grab phone, he be gone.
Heh, last we heard from Johndisk0 he was on vacation with the family. We'll probably hear from him before too long, I don't think we scared him away, I think he's made of stronger stuff.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

i love some disco.mp3
(239.79 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
good i was just playing. no harm intended.
user
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: gaming
Recording Method: Microsoft Word
Pronouns: she/him

Post by user »

Great fight all around! I voted for, in order of preference, Klownhole, THC (or U2: The Lost Years), Tuners Union (the beginning of which puts me in mind of "Lucky Man" by The Verve), MooseMuse to my surprise, Glenn Case, Jerkatorium, and BSS.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

hillbilly wrote:
The attachment i love some disco.mp3 is no longer available
Two can play at that game!
Attachments
johndisk0.mp3
I see your mp3 and raise you one.
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Astrolamb: Very interesting, open textures. Sometimes they become too open and begin to disconnect. The opening of this song is stronger than the end; for best effect, it should be the other way around. That last, Beatle-ish break helps a bit, but to really end the song, it needs more punch in the production.

Berkeley Social Scene: Nice groove. I like the slash guitar and the syncopation in general. Crisp drums; the offbeats make for an inventive, modern sound, but at the cost of some drive. The singer sometimes gets it totally right, but sometimes is pitchy in a way that is not good. Forgive me, but that single point needs work. The song has a nice, sustained ; more decoration would enliven the middle bit. A bit long. The ending suddenly gets very powerful; more of that!

Cookie Blue: This bubbles along nicely, with an odd folklike melody echoed in some of the guitar work. The singing is appealingly unaffected, and sits nicely in the nest of guitars, but I'm not getting all the words. That's just a chronic problem of mine.

Glenn Case: This sounds like I've fallen into some dimension where radio signals are mashed up. And that's a good thing! How you get from this bit to that is mesmerizing. Also good performance and production.

Hillbilly: I think I can hear the naked kitchen light bulb in this one. Great end-of-hoedown mood.

The Hip Cola: I guess this must be like Rush; to tell the truth, I never paid them much attention. I was at the next rack, browsing for Procol Harum. Anyway, it's good, very solid and tight, convincingly sung, and with just the right mixing and effects. The overall level could be a tad higher.

Inflatable Vegetables: Comedic synth brass. The lyrics have my attention. Nice reggae going on, but those horns sound daft. In fact everything sounds like it's in Toontown. I like it.

Jay and the Jesters: very soulful. I'm hearing one hell of a nice set of pipes here. To really make the grade, it needs coaching. Well worth it if you can, because that's a naturally sweet voice. The song is well chosen to bring it out, and the ambience or reverb, well, it goes with this kind of thing. I do long for more instruments in some places -- a bass, at least. The composition is a little drawn out, but the parts are good.

Jerkatorium: The textures are downright eccentric at first, with some clashes in the spectrum, but it rapidly comes together in the verse. Rick made me pay attention to the lyrics, and I was able to follow them as you sang, which is good in its own right. Keep that sense of humour -- you'll need it! (I'm kidding.)

Klownhole: Death metal meets savage punk. Sounds good! This is live on mics, not direct into the board, and the recording is pretty clear, if not studio quality. Thanks for posting the lyrics. They helped me make sense of the final line.

MooseMuse: It's clear what you're going for, and you come close. The baritone is just right. The orchestration is clever, and the instrumentation is resourceful, if not deeply satisfying. But it needs to be busier, with more running melodies as sprightly as the beginning flute. The lyrics are pointlessly empty, but ironically that's a plus. In terms of songcraft, the intermission and second verse don't add anything new. In all, this is a talented entry.

Rabbit & Ram: This a perfectly competent pop song, in the manner of Abba or some TV themes of the same era. In fact it's an exceptional bit of work, but it's well hidden by the arrangement; you need a lighter touch there.

Rick and the Bipolar Bears: Nice lyrics, an appealing rustic delivery. It's one of those simple songs, played in a suitably jangly way. The echoes make it all blurry, as we presume the singer to be, and therefore this recording could be an impression of a state of mind. I must admit, it's a pretty good impression; whether that was the intent is another matter. I enjoy it for what it is, but I won't vote for it.

toby roktot: I think this is a guy and guitar song, but I'm not sure if the guitar is standing in for something else. If so, you need to develop that. If not, you need to develop a richer, steadier guitar sound. The song is like many original songs one hears in a given genre: perfectly good, but in need of something unusual to set it apart.

Tuners Union: Always a joy to listen to your textures and harmonies; top grade stuff. The song design is more scattered than usual -- always brilliantly executed, but you seem to have about five songs in here. Over against the technical excellence, I have to say the mood of the song is neutral, possibly because it went through so many different phases, or possibly because it's just so damn shiny.

Votes to Tuners Union, Glenn Case, and The Hip Cola for quality, and to Cookie Blue and Klownhole for raw appeal.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

you win clumpy---- all some.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

CONGRATULATIONS COOKIEBLUE !!!!! WOOHOO !!!!
cookie
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bananas, eggs, that thing with the strings
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Cookie Blue
Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Post by cookie »

Toby Roktot wrote:CONGRATULATIONS COOKIEBLUE !!!!! WOOHOO !!!!
thank you :)
and thanks a lot for all the votes and reviews!
come to the dark side.