Canciones del Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
user
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: gaming
Recording Method: Microsoft Word
Pronouns: she/him

Re: Canciones del Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead prefig

Post by user »

Here, Atticus wrote:Lunkhead, if I wanted to submit an updated mix right now, should I just send a second email formatted exactly as the first one was?
Not that I have any say in the matter, but that's probably your best bet. You could add a little comment at the bottom like "This is the newer version, thanks, <3<3<3"
fluffy wrote:So who submitted under an alternate band name and who just did "normalname ft. Niveous" and who just did their own name? This is gonna be a glorious mess.

I thought about submitting as "Nockpuppet" or "Sockeous" or something but I just did "Sockpuppet ft. Niveous" but now I'm regretting that.
I strongly considered submitting as Phunt Niveous, but to use that name I'd prefer Egg was involved. I wouldn't even have considered doing that, since I don't think a composer, lyrical or musical, has anything to do with what the performer is called, but I did in fact build the song out of Niveous samples, so it would've been okay by my standards. But, ya know, most of my songs are built out of samples, and I just credit them in the Comments tag. I was mostly respecting our master archivist's wishes by not creating a new one-shot bandname (something I've done more than enough of already).
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Lunkhead: Sorry, I accidentally uploaded art with "The Joke" as the fight name, because of unnoticed browser pre-population. I re-uploaded with the correct name, but there is now a "The Joke" art entry that should be deleted. Unless you want to leave it up as a joke.

Also, I deliberately submitted with J. Biveous as the band name. It's not a John Benjamin Band song. If you want to normalize (which I am fine with), please use something like JB + Niveous.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
user
Push Comes to Shove

Post by user »

My vote for what it's worth goes to J. Biveous; it means the same thing but sounds a lot cooler.
Here, Atticus
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: *doot doot badum tsss*
Recording Method: PC:Cubase, Reaper
Submitting as: Brother Baker; Here, Atticus

Post by Here, Atticus »

user wrote:Not that I have any say in the matter, but that's probably your best bet. You could add a little comment at the bottom like "This is the newer version, thanks, <3<3<3"
Ok, well I did that without the note. I don't know if he has something auto extract files and I wouldn't want to mess that up.
user
Push Comes to Shove

Post by user »

Here, Atticus wrote:Ok, well I did that without the note. I don't know if he has something auto extract files and I wouldn't want to mess that up.
I've left comments in the past, usually on the first and only email, and I don't think it's caused any problems.
Here, Atticus
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: *doot doot badum tsss*
Recording Method: PC:Cubase, Reaper
Submitting as: Brother Baker; Here, Atticus

Post by Here, Atticus »

user wrote:
Here, Atticus wrote:Ok, well I did that without the note. I don't know if he has something auto extract files and I wouldn't want to mess that up.
I've left comments in the past, usually on the first and only email, and I don't think it's caused any problems.
I see. I won't resort to a third email haha. I have faith.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Lunkhead wrote:I submitted as Lunkhead. I put "Lyrics by Niveous, music by Lunkhead" in the "Composer" ID3 tag.

Should I make an executive decision about normalizing how things are presented, when handling the song intake and posting the fight...?

Also, FYI, if you haven't gotten your song in already do it soon as I'm hoping to get them posted sooner rather than later.
How to tag came up in the collaboration thread where it all started. I suggested tagging the album name as "Niveous' Lyrical Marathon," and I did that for my entry. Another option is to tag the song title as "Day of the Dead (Niveous' Lyrical Marathon)" or some such. I don't think you should change the fighter names, as that will make a mess of the collective entries for each fighter. But I do think an executive decision is a good idea.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Here, Atticus wrote:
user wrote:Not that I have any say in the matter, but that's probably your best bet. You could add a little comment at the bottom like "This is the newer version, thanks, <3<3<3"
Ok, well I did that without the note. I don't know if he has something auto extract files and I wouldn't want to mess that up.
I do have some code I run that pulls down all the emails and songs, but don't worry, it handles it if somebody submits the same file multiple time, in a way where I can tell which files were submitted in what order. :)

I'll check out the artist names and make a call. At this point though it sounds like I should just post everything as-is.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I really like J.Biveous ... just sayin'

So, hang on, the deadline is meaningless these days? No bonus points for actually getting a song in on time? How *else* am I gonna win in this day and age when the me/otherpeople differential is ever more gaping than ever? :)

And Bill, surely that's "The Montserrat Secret Police", not a solo effort? Ah, the ol' spikey j$ is back, back, BACK; and it feels good ...
Last edited by j$ on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

user wrote:I strongly considered submitting as Phunt Niveous, but to use that name I'd prefer Egg was involved.
Ohh..I may be a bit slow - not following threads that closely these days and I was wondering who "user" was. How's it going Mogosagatai! We should Phunt again one day. Is Egg still swanning about the south of France making/drinking piss?
user
Push Comes to Shove

Post by user »

We should, we should! Egg's making & drinking more piss than ever before, but now while swanning about northern California with his lovely wife. Pretty sure the south of France thing is still happening, he just doesn't live there (very often).
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

j$ wrote: So, hang on, the deadline is meaningless these days? No bonus points for actually getting a song in on time?...
I half-agree with that sentiment. Not only is the deadline posted, it's specific down to the minute. The pretense of a strict deadline is the only thing that gets me to submit on time; I would be compulsively re-recording "Day of the Dead" backing vocal tracks right now if it weren't for that deadline. If "Monday, 11/02/15 9:59am pst" can be translated to mean "oh, you know, Monday-ish", then for heaven's sake please just don't tell me or else all future Jerkatorium songs will be submitted several hours late (not on purpose but just because I'd know, you know?).

I actually sorta like the idea of the deadline having a little bit of wiggle room for a late entry or two under unusual circumstances, but I think that wiggle room should be taken advantage of very rarely, and should be at the discretion of the Fightmaster.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Jerkatorium wrote:
j$ wrote: should be at the discretion of the Fightmaster.
oh it is. at some point Lunkhead will get sick of your shenanigans, or Fightmaster will just decide to teach everybody a lesson.

so enter late at your own damn risk.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

i am late all so
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

fightmaster@songfight.org wrote:We are generous. We will most likely correct the problem. Unless you are a jerk.
We're sorta called out by name here. I think it's safe to assume the Fightmaster will reject any Jerkatorium submissions submitted after 10:00 Pacific.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I think the deadline is as specific, accurate, and meaningful as it's ever been. (Just like winning!) If you submit on time, you can be proud of your accomplishments. Isn't that enough? Post here to lord it over everybody, etc.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

j$ wrote: And Bill, surely that's "The Montserrat Secret Police", not a solo effort?
Now that is a band that should ride again, eh? But in this case since Niv didn't do any music I followed the will of the crowd and just credited him for lyrics.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas