Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

SpinTunes 17 Round 1 RESULTS

Post by MicahSommer »

Crossposted from https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2 ... sults.html

The judges have undertaken the considerable task of weighing these 35 songs against each other, and the results are in.

Our Round 1 winner, receiving impressive scores from all four judges, is Sober!

Boy on the Wall feat. Parle G Baby's new jack swing tribute to matrimony also scored well across the board, and earned them second place. We have a three-way-tie for third place: Also in Blue, Jon Porobil, and Vom Vorton will have to squeeze together on their end of the podium.

The following artists ranked below the cutoff and have been eliminated. Any of them who submit shadow entries for Round 2 will be eligible for shadow reinstatement if a qualifying competitor fails to meet the deadline:

rackwagon
Boffo Yux Dudes
Lichen Throat
The Brewhouse Sessions
Little Bobby Tables
Buku Chauney
Menage a Tune
Yo Mammy and the Fuzznuts
HandHammered
The Wizards of Vomit
Declan IOM

Here is the full chart of results, including each judge's rankings and the artists' total scores:
SpinTunes 17 Round 1 Rankings.png
SpinTunes 17 Round 1 Rankings.png (208.15 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Each judge's full reviews and rankings are linked below:
Cybronica
Denise Hudson
Jocko Homomorphism
Wil Whalen
Micah Sommersmith
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SpinTunes 17 Round 1 RESULTS

Post by Sober »

Holy shit, did not expect that. Would have been happy sneaking by in the 20's. Congrats to all who made it into round 2. Very sad to see the cut list - I hope you all submit shadow songs and find a way back in to kick my ass.
🤠
Declan IOM
A New Player
Submitting as: Declan IOM
Pronouns: He, him

Post by Declan IOM »

I went too pop, didn’t I.
EmKayDeeBee
A New Player
Submitting as: EmKayDeeBee
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EmKayDeeBee »

Thanks so much to the judges for the time taken in their reviews and ranking - no small job with so many entries! Very grateful for the positive comments - they lift me more than you can know - and I also recognise areas that needs focus to improve. It’s a steep learning curve for sure!
“...what a day, a year, a life this is" - Dreamer|Supertramp
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I'm most impressed by EmKayDeeBee's managing to get both a #1 and a #33 rating in the same contest.

The fact that I didn't get cut by writing a silly song about poop kind of surprises me -- I suspected that topic would be polarizing with the judges and I was certainly right. As my wife said: "send that one to your stepdad. Don't send it to your mom." Of course Cybronica giggled hard at it, so now I suspect she and my wife would get along fantastically. After all...the poo-tune was my wife's idea!

I'm loving the new theme, and congrats to Sober on the win. And crumpet, isn't that one of your highest placements?

Where this is Spintunes on SongFight, I've developed a bit of an attachment to our SongFight regulars, so I hate to see Lichen Throat and Rackwagon eliminated so soon. I dunno, I liked the gnome song, it was in my top 5.

All in all, a good showing.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the reviews of LWRG's "Hello". I would also like to address the one issue that everyone seemed to have- the unnameable screech.

Most reviews remarked that since it's a song about an elder God creature, it should have been more horrible. Here's the thing, most reviews also said the song was catchy. I honestly believe that if we would've went with a worse screech, it would have taken away from the song's listenability, especially in such repetition. We really could've gone some odd replaces with that sound. It's Brookes screaming as run through an EHX pitchfork guitar pedal. There were a lot of other guitar pedal choices considered including the Hot One Krush which made her voice into an industrial hellscape. But would you want to hear that sharp noise six times? Would judges in a song competition want to hear it repeatedly while having to listen to 30+ other songs?

I think in the end, the pitchbent scream was the right choice and since the song went over so well, I think we'll adapt it for the full band. Who knows what that scream will sound like in the future. Hopefully one day soon, we'll get to play that for an audience and that will be a call and response style spot where the screech will be whatever din they make.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
EmKayDeeBee
A New Player
Submitting as: EmKayDeeBee
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EmKayDeeBee »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 am
I'm most impressed by EmKayDeeBee's managing to get both a #1 and a #33 rating in the same contest.
Ha ha, it’s certainly quite something huh?!
I recognise what you say about supporting the people you know, but am grateful for feeling welcome too - it’s hard to be new in any social gathering.
“...what a day, a year, a life this is" - Dreamer|Supertramp
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Falling one place short was a real gut-punch, but this excerpt from the rules gives me some heart. All we need to do now is hope someone isn't able to put together the next challenge (oh, and make a better song).
As to which shadows are re-instated, that's at the judges' discretion. However, significant weighting will be given to those competitors who were ranked highest prior to their elimination.
And also - congrats to all those who made the cut, and commiserations to those who fell to the floor with rackwagon.
.sig
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

EmKayDeeBee wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:05 pm
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:12 am
Ha ha, it’s certainly quite something huh?!
I recognise what you say about supporting the people you know, but am grateful for feeling welcome too - it’s hard to be new in any social gathering.
Well stick around! We're always stoked to have new SongFighters. I live for the prompts. Personally I'm enjoying the change of pace of Spintunes and its more open-ended challenges.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Giraffes for Wings
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Giraffes for Wings

Post by Giraffes for Wings »

gizo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:21 pm
Falling one place short was a real gut-punch, but this excerpt from the rules gives me some heart. All we need to do now is hope someone isn't able to put together the next challenge (oh, and make a better song).
As to which shadows are re-instated, that's at the judges' discretion. However, significant weighting will be given to those competitors who were ranked highest prior to their elimination.
And also - congrats to all those who made the cut, and commiserations to those who fell to the floor with rackwagon.
Have hope! I was busy this weekend and my song is way behind schedule. That means I have to plow ahead with whatever mediocre ideas I have, and it’s possible I might not end up with something usable (or end up with a final product at all).
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Ooh, I missed this thread. Very hearty congratulations to Sober for his well-deserved win! Sober, you were my #2 pick for the round, and I absolutely don't mind losing to you.

I'm also gobsmacked to have been in a three-way tie for third place! Thank you to the judges and to everyone who wrote reviews (kind or otherwise) of my song. As happy as the third place ranking makes me, I think what makes me happier is the company I'm tied with - Also In Blue was my choice for #1 of the round and Vom was my #3, so to have tied with both of them is a truly humbling honor.

Best of luck to everyone in Round 2! Hope to see you all at the listening party!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages