Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

SpinTunes 17 Results

Post by MicahSommer »

Crossposted from https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2 ... sults.html

The votes have been cast and the ballots have been counted. The winner of SpinTunes 17 is

ALSO IN BLUE!

Also in Blue excelled in their very first SpinTunes, placing in the top three in every round. A judging spot is open to them in SpinTunes 18.

23 competitors cast ballots by the judging deadline. To preserve their anonymity while still allowing those interested to peruse their ranking patterns, I asked my four-year-old for a list of animals, which I replaced competitors' names with and then alphabetized. Here are the full voting results from the competitors:

In addition to winning over the contestants, Also in Blue earned - incredibly - first place from every single judge. Here are the results from the judges:

Reviews:

Contestant reviews
Micah Sommersmith's reviews
Cybronica's reviews and rankings
Denise Hudson's reviews and rankings
Jocko Homomorphism's reviews and rankings
Wil Whalen's reviews and rankings
Guest Judge Zoe Gray's reviews and rankings

Thanks to all the contestants who contributed your talents and creativity to craft a truly wonderful collection of songs.

Thanks to the judges: Cybronica, Denise Hudson, Jocko Homomorphism, and Wil Whalen, for thoughtfully and carefully undertaking the impossible task of ranking and reviewing these songs.

Thanks to our guest judges: Dave Leigh, Brian Gray, and Zoe Gray. Extra thanks to Dave, the outgoing SpinTunes administrator, and to Travis Langworthy, SpinTunes founder, for supporting me as I run this contest for the first time.

Thanks to Tommy G for faithfully hosting the Listening Parties each round - a critical part of maintaining the SpinTunes community.

Finally, thank you to Matt Schubbe for crafting wonderful album art for every round.

All of you make SpinTunes the fantastic community that it is. Thank you all, and see you for SpinTunes 18!
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SpinTunes 17 Results

Post by Sober »

Congrats to Also in Blue - very well deserved! For me, this was creatively exhausting, and I can't imagine doing this at twice the pace a la Nur Ein.

Huge thanks to Micah and the judges for slogging through this. Congrats to all the other contestants, and thanks to all of you for sharing some great music. I look forward to Spintunes 18!

Now that the magnanimity is out of the way, I will make the dickheaded observation that, if the scores were cumulative like motorcross etc... 😩😩😩😆
🤠
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Sober wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
Congrats to Also in Blue - very well deserved! For me, this was creatively exhausting, and I can't imagine doing this at twice the pace a la Nur Ein.

Huge thanks to Micah and the judges for slogging through this. Congrats to all the other contestants, and thanks to all of you for sharing some great music. I look forward to Spintunes 18!

Now that the magnanimity is out of the way, I will make the dickheaded observation that, if the scores were cumulative like motorcross etc... 😩😩😩😆
Heh - huge props to all 4 finalists, and to everyone - it was a great time!

I must say that round 2 was by far my favourite round - it was that shining moment when Toshiro and I both had the time and energy to really commit to an idea, but also because my three most compelling tracks from the whole competition where written then, and they were all by finalists! SOber and Also In Blue provided wonderful takes on their characters, and See-Man-Ski has STILL got me singing "and your dead-beat dad!" around the house.

Thanks judges and Micah for making this a real thing.
.sig
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski

Post by seemanski »

Just re-iterating what everyone else has said and I have probably said in lots of other places. This was great competition and a very worthy winner. I still recall being hit with a "this guy gets me" moment on Pleasure to Meet You. It's been a fun competition and I can't wait for Spintunes 18.