DutchWidows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Dutch Widows
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SpinTunes 18 Round 2 Challenge: 'Escape the Grid'

Post by DutchWidows »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 am
But both the lead and the secondary vocalist have that same pinched quality to them, so the overall sonic experience of the song in the aggregate is akin to a fire alarm. So the whole song is this hot electric color, and it's grating after not very long at all. The drastic EQ on the vocals further highlight that midrange color. Makes me long for some cooler, rounder tones somewhere.
Cheers Jim - that was pretty useful feedback. I'd been trying to record vocals via a bus rather than direct to a channel for a while, and it had a pretty harsh EQ on it right at the start of the chain. What I hadn't appreciated was that that EQ colour was embedded on the stem and so everything that happened to the stem post-recording retained that initial EQ imprint, irrespective of what I subsequently did.

I can't remember why that EQ ended up in the chain - I vaguely recall using it to correct for some weird resonances in a cheap condenser mic I have, but it ended up being kept as part of the default bus setting and I'd just forgotten it was there and what it was doing.

Because you'd mentioned it, I revisited all the vocal settings and removed that EQ for Round 3. Hopefully it'll be less 'pinchy' as a result, although the vocals this time are much more affected by a throat infection!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

DutchWidows wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:40 pm
Jim of Seattle wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 am
But both the lead and the secondary vocalist have that same pinched quality to them, so the overall sonic experience of the song in the aggregate is akin to a fire alarm. So the whole song is this hot electric color, and it's grating after not very long at all. The drastic EQ on the vocals further highlight that midrange color. Makes me long for some cooler, rounder tones somewhere.
Cheers Jim - that was pretty useful feedback. I'd been trying to record vocals via a bus rather than direct to a channel for a while, and it had a pretty harsh EQ on it right at the start of the chain. What I hadn't appreciated was that that EQ colour was embedded on the stem and so everything that happened to the stem post-recording retained that initial EQ imprint, irrespective of what I subsequently did.

I can't remember why that EQ ended up in the chain - I vaguely recall using it to correct for some weird resonances in a cheap condenser mic I have, but it ended up being kept as part of the default bus setting and I'd just forgotten it was there and what it was doing.

Because you'd mentioned it, I revisited all the vocal settings and removed that EQ for Round 3. Hopefully it'll be less 'pinchy' as a result, although the vocals this time are much more affected by a throat infection!
I think you have no idea how much I needed to hear that at least SOMEthing I put in my reviews was useful to someone. I've been feelings bad about them all week. I gotta figure this thing out.

Hidden effects chains are a nightmare. To this day I'm still pretty much positive I'm doing it wrong :-).
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
DutchWidows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Dutch Widows

Post by DutchWidows »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 am

Hidden effects chains are a nightmare.
This is what I'd forgotten was in my vocal chain...

I guess one's ear gets attuned to it, and you don't notice it's there...
Attachments
Screen Shot.png
Screen Shot.png (853.06 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 am
I think you have no idea how much I needed to hear that at least SOMEthing I put in my reviews was useful to someone. I've been feelings bad about them all week. I gotta figure this thing out.
Thanks for writing reviews Jim, I personally really enjoyed reading your insights, even when they perhaps came off harsher than you intended. No good deed goes unpunished.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

DutchWidows wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Wow! As for what you're showing me, yeah that looks like a recipe for vocal issues. But beyond that, your EQ plugin is way more sophisticated looking than mine. I don't know if I'm jealous or relieved. Some of both.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:21 am
DutchWidows wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Wow! As for what you're showing me, yeah that looks like a recipe for vocal issues. But beyond that, your EQ plugin is way more sophisticated looking than mine. I don't know if I'm jealous or relieved. Some of both.
I believe that’s the standard, in-the-box Logic EQ.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!