SpinTunes 19 Round 3 'Let's Circle Back to That' Challenge, reviews and comments

SpinTunes online songwriting contest subforum
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

SpinTunes 19 Round 3 'Let's Circle Back to That' Challenge, reviews and comments

Post by BoffoYux »

SpinTunes 19 Round 3 Challenge

You've made it halfway through SpinTunes 19! The judges' rankings will be arriving soon, but in the meantime, here's your chance to get started on Round 3:

Let's Circle Back to That: Write a circular song, in which the lyrics follow a progression that ends up where it began.

Examples:

"The Gas Man Cometh" by Flanders and Swann
"There's a Hole in the Bucket" (traditional children's song)
"Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" by Pete Seeger and Joe Hickerson
"Why We Build the Wall" from Hadestown*
"Withered Hope" by They Might Be Giants
*"Why We Build the Wall" happens to be both a cumulative song and a circular song, but it's the latter we're interested in this time!

Submitting Entries:
Your entry must be received by Sunday, April 17, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EDT. Otherwise it'll be posted as a shadow. Received means that it has to appear in my e-mail inbox (spintunescontest@gmail.com) by the given deadline. I will be going by the time stamp on the e-mail. One minute late is too late.
You are allowed and encouraged to submit a draft of your song early just in case something horrible happens and you miss the deadline. Then you can add polish to your song and send in a better version closer to the deadline. The last version received prior to the deadline is your official entry.
Lyrics are mandatory. No instrumentals. Having no lyrics will get you disqualified.

SUBMITTING BY EMAIL: Send your file in a format that BandCamp accepts. (.wav or .flac) (at least 16-bit/44.1kHz) Do not send MP3s.
Name your file the song's title + your band name, without punctuation.
The subject line of the e-mail should identify the challenge and your band's name. Something like this would be fine: "ST19R3 - All the Robots".
Include the song lyrics in the body of the e-mail.
Include information on anyone that needs credited if you collaborated with someone.

ALTERNATE FILE SHARING OPTIONS: If your file is too big for an email attachment, you may email me a link to where I can download the song. The email still needs to land in my inbox by the deadline.
If you have a Bandcamp account you can just send me a link to your song if you include all the info I mentioned for emails. Info such as lyrics and song credits can be included in the email or on the song's Bandcamp page. Make sure you have it set as a free download, and have it set so that I don't have to put in an e-mail to download it if you pick this option.
You may also use a file sharing service such as DropBox, WeTransfer, Google Drive, etc. Include in the email any required information (such as lyrics) that you couldn't include in the file. Make sure I have permission to download the file, and please follow directions so your file doesn't wind up in my spam or trash folder accidentally.

SONG BIOS: In addition to lyrics and any necessary credits, you are welcome to include a "song bio", with any information you feel is useful. This could include your inspiration for the song, citations for any obscure references within the lyrics, an explanation of how your song met the challenge, etc. Some challenges may require you to supply certain info in your song bio. Since the judges are volunteers with lives outside of SpinTunes, song bios can help them zero in on aspects of the song you feel are important. However, if your song requires a multi-paragraph explanation in order to understand and appreciate it, this is probably a sign that it doesn't stand up well on its own, and its ranking may reflect that.

Side Notes:
You can send in an entry to SpinTunes 19 without competing. Just tell me it's a "Shadow Song". It will be played at the listening party, but won't be ranked and you might not receive feedback from the judges. Check the FAQ if you don't know what that means. You can even complete past challenges from previous contests. It's a nice way of playing along if you can't commit to the schedule or you just want to get your feet wet.
The only other way to get your music played at the LP is to cover "Today's The Day" by Inverse T. Clown or "Right Again" by Mandibles.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: SpinTunes 19 Round 3 'Let's Circle Back to That' Challenge, reviews and comments

Post by BoffoYux »

Spintunes #19 Round 3 'Let's Circle Back to That' Listening Party 4/18/22 at 9pm EST. Preshow a bit earlier.

Drop on by and chat with the artists!

https://youtu.be/2l7PaZsH77Y
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SpinTunes 19 Round 3 'Let's Circle Back to That' Challenge, reviews and comments

Post by seemanski »

I'll have a go this time round, sorry I didn't manage it last time, struggled to find the time :(

Like before I'll do it in five song segments across the week as this gives me more incentive to finish because I know I have started so should go on. I have listened to all the tracks and I really think people have stepped up there game, I can definitely see my name being at the bottom end of the pile.

Melody Klein - Too Long

I did give this a chance and listen but the topic of your song has really tainted it for me. I feel it is a bit too cutting for both judges and the contestants, stating lines like "As if any others have 5 melodies, none of them static" and "It all needs a verse-chorus structure, and a 3 minutes length, There can be no other strength" is an insult to my tracks and I find it hard to get on board with what you are saying. I won't say anymore as it is clear to me through your lyrics you don't want it.

Firefly - Firephyte

Ok, I tried to interpret your lyrics before reading your liner notes. I did pick up on there being some kind of heat wave, I initially thought it was a drought (because of the rain sounds at the start and end) and the inhabitants where waiting for a monsoon. Ah crap, I've just realised its the sound of fire not rain, DOH!

Listening again I didn't get that feeling as I couldn't figure out why the people would want another wild fire. I didn't pick up that it wasn't people, the Billy Joel name drop really threw me off as that made me associated it with people rather than plant life. Reading the liner notes it makes sense now but I couldn't get the meaning just by listening.

I did think you had some really nice guitar sounds, the delay guitars at the start widens it out and then you introduce different guitars on different sides which granular fill up the sound. I especially like the tone of guitar in the "the grass is always greener bit". Your vocals were generally strong throughout but the did go out a bit in parts.

Phlub - Eternal Return

Well I was way off in my interpretation of your lyrics. My first thought was "this is a satanic ritual in space!". I eventually settled on just the plain old human ritual I had imagines of you dancing around a fire. I got the idea of a performing a resurrection or something. It's fair to say this went way over my head.

I'm a fan of what you do, you always push the boundaries and create something really unique and interesting. I especially liked how you increase the pitch of your vocals throughout.

Star Bear - Chapters

I think I got this one just by listening, it's such a charming little tune. I absolutely adore how delicate and fragile your lead vocals are. They are so endearing and really tell this story of what sounds like a life well lived. The piano work is lovely and one of the things that I noticed (whether it's just me or it was intentional) is that the music gets more complicated as your life story progresses. Almost like how life is simple at the start and then it gets harder but in the end who really gives a monkeys, all that matters is you're loved.

I thought the transition into when the drums kick in was nice, how you apply some distortion to your vocals gives it just a little intensity that is just right for the mood of the track but doesn't over power.

chewmeupspitmeout - Ad Homonym

I was no where near getting the theme of your tune. This is far too clever for me. I really liked your composition, I especially liked that pleasantly harsh guitars. I did feel they were a little too hot in the mix and I want a bit more of the drums. I also found your vocals to be very harsh in places where they really distort. Although I did like your vocals in the quieter section and I felt that they had a Damon Alburn quality to them that I really liked.
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by seemanski »

I've started so I'll keep going, 3 more to go after this, much easier than the 1st round at least

Hot Pink Halo - Hexaflexagon

Firstly, thank you for your liner notes and videos they were very interesting and really show us how you approached this track which I appreciate. It is far too clever for me, I'm a simple soul. When I tried to figure it own on my lonesome I got as far as thinking the track was about learning. The lyrics in this are fascinating and I appreciate them a lot more now I know what it is you are singing about. I really love you exaggerations in your vocals and the way you pronounce hexaflexagon is delightful. I did find it a bit repetitive and I think it was that bass line that really got to me, I would have preferred a big bass drop on occasion rather than being a constant, but that probably wouldn't have gone with your experiment. I loved the synths that kick in on the "Back when tigers smoked tobacco" part and the constant turning of your music box was nice as I liked the mix of virtual instruments with something organic.

Sober - It'll Be Ok

What's not to love about this. You playing is on point as per usual, I love how crisp precise and extremely professional your stuff always sounds. At first I thought this song was about recovering from addiction. I saw the six month chip as being the chip you get when you have abstained for six months from something. I'm guessing it is more in reference to going on tour at war. Of which, being in the army and being addicted to harmful substances is something that I thankfully know not much about so who I am to say. I'm guessing this is a song about going out to war, coming back and going out again and the repetitive nature of it and how you become institutionalised by it all.

I am a huge fan of what you do, and that accordion on the "And if I were french" line was the cherry on the cake. I love how you introduce instruments here and there as the track goes of which are all played really well. I did get shades of The Wallflowers in the sound if I was to make a comparison.

I wasn't a fan of the ending though, it was a bit abrupt for me. However, it was a lovely segue into AIBs song so I can only assume it was intentional and you knew he was following you.

Also In Blue - Howling At The Moon

Before I read your liner notes I had already decided on Option 2. Nailed the brief I totally picked up on the lunar cycle as your theme for it.

This is such a fun damn funky song, I loved it through and through. It just makes me want to open up the windows and howl as loud as I can. I just pray that the faces you pull when you when you play that guitar solo are as contorted as the ones that are in my head when I hear it.

I don't really have anything critical I can say, it is absolute class. Oh did you know that I used to be a werewolf but I'm alright NOWOOOOOOOOO.

Mandibles - Home Sweet Home At Last

I really like the sound you have gotten, the acoustics sound great with that aged piano sitting nicely in the background. There is a timing issue with the acoustic guitars in the 1st chorus that is pretty noticeable, I don't think it helps that they are panned so much (which works wonders for the mix, except in that one bit). It's a shame because that is the only bit where it is evident and because it is so early on and also at the part of the song where everything lifts into the chorus it elevates the issue.

I thought the theme is clear and well written, it did get a bit samey for me towards the end but overall it was a pleasant listen and I really like the way it sounded. The piano did remind me of the piano used in Heavy Metal Drummer by Wilco.

Night Sky - Leave it on the TMB

The things that really stand out for me in this are the wind instruments and the rhyming choices for the different places, both of which I loved. I must admit I'm not entirely convinced with the vocal delivery, it feels a little half hearted to me, but I could listen you play your wind instrument all day long ;).
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Thanks for writing reviews, seemanski!
seemanski wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:06 pm
[...] At first I thought this song was about recovering from addiction. I saw the six month chip as being the chip you get when you have abstained for six months from something. I'm guessing it is more in reference to going on tour at war. [...]
You're right on both counts - the chip is indeed a reference to what folks in AA etc will get for sobriety milestones, and it's a joke among servicemembers that we all get an x-month chip when we deploy, owing to the US's zero-alcohol downrange policy. So when we leave a warzone through a place like Kyrgyzstan, everyone heads to the shitty little bar on the base to "turn in their chip." Here's how I did it:

You can find these in the west - the brand translates as "Baltica." They're not very good, but after six dry months, they'll do 🍻
🤠
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

EVERYBODY GETS SIX WORDS:

Melody Klein - Too Long: Meta, slow, moody. Easily top four.

See-Man-Ski - Get Back (to where you came from): Rocking, engaging, energizing. Definitely top four.

Firefly - Firephyte: Builds well. Interesting. Unequivocally top four.

Phlub - Eternal Return: Weird, captivating, inventive. Undoubtedly top four.

Star Bear - Chapters: Charming, sparse, enjoyable. Clearly top four.

chewmeupspitmeout - Ad Homonym: Mopey. Clever approach. Undeniably top four.

Hot Pink Halo - Hexaflexagon: Enchanting. Incredible concept. Inarguably top four.

Sober - It'll Be Ok: Fun, compelling, bittersweet. Certainly top four.

Also In Blue - Howling At The Moon: Aawoooooo! Extremely enjoyable. Indubitably top four.

Mandibles - Home Sweet Home At Last: Poignant. Timing issues? Obviously top four.

Night Sky - Leave it on the TMB: Evocative lyrics. Terrific. Absolutely top four.

Governing Dynamics - No Matter Who: Amazing lyrics, performances. Unquestionably top four.

The Dutch Widows - Rejection Is Hard When You're Young And In Love, But Wait Till You Get Old, Son (SHADOW): Melodic, enjoyable. Loud arpeggiator. Deserves reinstatement.

Micah Sommersmith - Ordinary Time (SHADOW): Lovely. Excellent, dense rhymes. Not danceable.

All The Robots - cover of Right Again by Mandibles (SHADOW): Not as good as the original.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by seemanski »

Governing Dynamics - No Matter Who

This is one hell of a track. I really love how it is instantly recognisably your song but that change in vocals turned my head. I was not expecting them at all, although part of me does feel this is bit of a trick to make you sound different, but I like it so much I don't really care. The lyrics are thought provoking, I'm guessing they are related to the current situation although I do think the lyrics can be interpreted mean something other, so that might just be my view. At one point I felt myself wondering if it was do with the current party gate scandal in the UK, I quickly dismissed that theory though as I realised you're not a Brit.

Really really enjoyed this song a lot.

BTW, I did notice the cat meowing at 3:37.

The Dutch Widows - Rejection Is Hard When You're Young And In Love, But Wait Till You Get Old, Son [SHADOW]

That oriental violin was a bold choice that paid off. That glues this whole thing together. Your vocals are delicate and tell the tale rejection really well. The percussion panning in my ears is really interesting. Although I think I would have preferred the bass and snare drum sounds to be centred. It doesn't feel right to my ears for them to be to the left.

I struggled to understand the lyrics, is a metaphor for being rejected by someone, has someone been injured in an accident? I'm going to take it as meaning that you have been rejected.

Micah Sommersmith - Ordinary Time [SHADOW]

These are really interesting lyrics. I appreciate your liner notes explaining what you have conveyed. I really liked you delivery of "I'm still waiting" and the structure where you describe what is you are waiting for before it works really well. I have to admit on listening I didn't pick up on it being about waiting for the ceremonies to happen. I think that is probably because I am not religious and therefore don't participate in these ceremonies myself. My interpretation was that this was a bible story being told i.e. you are telling the stories that involved waiting for something to happen. Now I've read the liner notes the actual meaning makes perfect sense.

I did also really like how intimate this is. It's stuff like this that is reason why I want to learn piano, that and to sound like Ben Folds of course.
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by seemanski »

Now just for fun, hear is my prediction of the top 4.

drum roll please
  1. Also In Blue
  2. Sober
  3. Governing Dynamics
  4. Star Bear
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Unfortunately I didn't get to these reviews until after results were in. I still feel the exercise is worthwhile for me, though.

Also In Blue - Howling at the Moon: As fun as it is, and as good as it feels to have that leslie spinning right up front and hard panned, it's good to put a bit of room tone to push it back, as the super up-front sound is usually a dead giveaway of a VST/keyboard. Anyway, this is obviously awesome. I'd like to hear at least a little bit of spanky strat along with that clav. I feel like the hard fusion tone of the guitar solo is a bit much, and it's too hot in the mix. Bass tone is appropriately farty, and could maybe come up a couple db. More kick and snare snap, too. I feel like you've had slicker mixes (to be clear, this is still great), but this is one of your better songs as far as tight, efficient use of every measure. Well-deserved 1st place.

Sober - It'll Be Ok: Playing with different amounts of swing on different instruments. Apparently some people felt that gave this a reggae feel, so that's a lesson learned I suppose. Anyway, this was mostly just a "here's how u do hammond" song 😝

Governing Dynamics - No Matter Who: Buttery. A couple of those guitar notes could be nudged a bit. Love the vocal tone; could use some tuning here and there. I want to give all these mix notes about punching things up, but 1: know you know how to do that and 2: this is a chill vibe and I think it works as is. So, well done. The ending is mega-chopped off, at least on the Bandcamp album.

See-Man-Ski - Get Back: There's a two-stage element to the distortion effect on your voice - did you burn a slapback? In addition to the doubled vocal, obviously. Anyway, it's awesome. I do think the vocal is a bit low when everything gets big. There's a neo-Bowie feel to this that's very fun.

Mandibles - Home Sweet Home at Last: Lots of elements here are very pingy. Like, they're more or less uncompressed, and then they all hit an aggressive master bus compressor at the same time and we get an attack salad. The female vocal is very choir - that's ok, and eventually she leans into it in a very fun way - give us that energy from the start. Lots of rhythmic trips here and there. More takes, do some time correction. Some pitchiness in the vocals as well, especially the BGVs. There are lots of cool elements here, and I think a few hours of music production youtube could make y'all a powerhouse.

Hot Pink Halo - Hexaflexagon: Struggling to find the groove, but I likely have the worst rhythm of anyone in the SF/ST community, so that may just be me. I'm feeling some videogame nostalgia. Maybe Crono Trigger? Fun to hear you explore, and really approach songwriting and music production as an artist (in the traditional sense.. does that make sense?), as opposed to me going 'haha G chord go brrrr.'

Firefly - Firephyte: Much of this feels like it's just out of your range. Trim out the moments of silence between vocal lines - we can hear lots of mouth noise. Rhythmic trips here and there. More takes or some time correction would fix that right up. Drums feel flat, and I'm having a hard time picking up the bass. Love the Big Country guitar tone. Mix overall feels like it's pumping a lot, like maybe your kick is causing the master bus compressor to pump everything hard.

Star Bear - Chapters: I enjoy the music box quality of that piano. The reverb on the BGV is just a bit much. It feels like you're closely mirroring some of the melodic lines from your last two songs, but I might have selective memory here. Love the big buildup; good arc for the whole arrangement.

Night Sky - Leave it on the TMB: Piano is a bit muddy; scoop out some lo mids. I'm pretty sure we've talked about your vocal mic situation - this feels like a dynamic very close up, yes? Cutting some 50-100hz will help reduce some of the borderline plosive quality. I also often feel like you're taking yourself too seriously. Even if it's a serious song (idk if it is, bc I'm basically lyric-deaf), I want to hear you loosen up a bit. Find that balance between rhythm and pitch precision vs a more conversational delivery that I think might suit your voice and the kind of music you often make. Horns sounding great as always, love the layering.

Phlub - Eternal Return: New Stranger Things intro? The builds remind of the Shepard Tone, which I suppose would fit the challenge very well. As always, cool to hear alternative/experimental stuff presented in a (more or less 😆) pleasing/accessible way.

chewmeupspitmeout - Ad Homonym: I'm not a fan of the piezo sound pretty much ever, but thankfully you only used it for the harpy bits in the left. The mic'd acoustic is often off-groove. Seems like we're almost constantly overloading. I've turned the volume down to a quarter of where I had it for phlub, and oh wow yeah now I'm skipping. If unintentional, I don't know what to say, man. Go see an audiologist. If intentional, see a therapist.

Melody Klein - Too Long:

The Dutch Widows - Rejection is Hard: The midi violin (or maybe like, kokyu?) is actually kind of delightful in a strange, nostalgic way. I don't really have much else I can say about this, as it feels like a sketch.

Micah Sommersmith - Ordinary Time: Always fun to hear a real piano. It's funny you said my songs get bogged down in military jargon, because despite being raised amongst mormons, I'm not following everything here. Lol what is a pentecost 😆. As this is obviously a (one mic?) song demo-style production, I have no production notes. As someone who, again, does not really pay attention to lyrics, I caught enough of them here to suspect that Micah is a subversive, naughty boy.

Well, I'm surprised and thrilled to have made it into the final round. Some very fun approaches to this challenging prompt, and a deserved first place for Also in Blue.
🤠
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Sober wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:07 pm
It's funny you said my songs get bogged down in military jargon, because despite being raised amongst mormons, I'm not following everything here. Lol what is a pentecost 😆.
That is totally fair, and I hope my original comment didn't come off as dismissive!

Pentecost is the day when (it's taught) the Holy Spirit came down from heaven and entered the hearts of the early church, letting their preaching be understood by everyone in Jerusalem despite everyone speaking different languages (this is the origin of the practice of "speaking in tongues" by charismatic denominations like, appropriately, Pentecostals).

The idea in that verse of my song is to contrast the disciples all being understood while speaking different languages, with the modern gulf in understanding between people ostensibly speaking the same language ("I'm talking to my neighbor but the words all come out wrong").

Throughout the song, I tried to contrast the hope one is supposed to feel about the various holidays, with the reality of the current (esp. post-2020) world we live in. And it's a circle because of course every year it's the same holidays preaching the same hope into the same damn broken world.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni