Deals On Gear and Software

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Deals On Gear and Software

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 am
If you somehow STILL don't have a large diaphragm condenser microphone, you really ought to get one. Your vocals will probably sound a lot better vs a dynamic mic (although those can be fine in some situations) and definitely better than if you're using the mic built in to your phone or laptop or headset etc. Here's a probably decent mic for $60, discounted from $200 just for today.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

You'll need to make sure you've got an audio interface with phantom power (or a mic preamp/mixer/hardware recorder/etc. with phantom power). Nearly every interface will have that, if it has an XLR/mic input.
I swear by MXL mics. They’re stupidly good for the price, and that deal is particularly good. I haven’t used that particular model but I’d expect it to be great.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I have not used that particular model either, but almost everything I've recorded vocals for over the past 12 (?) years have been using a few different MXL condenser microphones (possibly small diaphragm versions though...?) and I have never had any issues either.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Amazon has the Fender Kurt Cobain Jag-Stang Rosewood Fingerboard Guitar on sale for $800 when it is usually $1300.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098XYC5GW
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

IK Multimedia are selling their complete software bundle for $/€149 (regular price €999 as I recall); if you have any of their MAX products you can upgrade for $/€99 and if you have maxcoins you can bring it down to $/€69.

BFD3 is currently on sale for $/€49 (regular $/€329 or some such). This is the first seriously deep discount I've seen for BFD.

Plugin Boutique is selling a bundle of Auto-Tune Access, Native Instruments FM8, iZotope Neoverb and Scaler 2 for $99.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Also worth noting that Native Instruments are doing their annual November sale, although Komplete isn't included this time around.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

IK Multimedia's UNO line is on sale too. You can great a pretty nice sounding monophonic analog synth with a ton of features that's also compact and battery/bus powered, for only $149:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... y=unosynth

And a drum machine in a similar form factor with good analog and samples sounds and lots of features, for only $199:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... ey=unodrum
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Here's a place that makes condenser microphones inside of spent shotgun shells. Great for tight spots. I have an x/y I've used as a drum overhead, yet to try on acoustic guitar, but quite pleased with it. Just ordered a single to try on snare/guitar. Inexpensive and handmade in good old Vermont. You can hate guns, like me, and still check'em out. Take note of the ribbon mic they've added on a limited basis.

https://www.12gaugemicrophones.com/
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:17 am
Here's a place that makes condenser microphones inside of spent shotgun shells. Great for tight spots. I have an x/y I've used as a drum overhead, yet to try on acoustic guitar, but quite pleased with it. Just ordered a single to try on snare/guitar. Inexpensive and handmade in good old Vermont. You can hate guns, like me, and still check'em out. Take note of the ribbon mic they've added on a limited basis.

https://www.12gaugemicrophones.com/
I totally forgot about these and have wanted that x/y stereo mic forever. I'm gonna take another look. Thanks for the reminder Paco!

Black Friday sales are LIVE: 11/25-11/28
Use Coupon Code: BLACK for 20% off sitewide
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Not audio but if you dabble in visual stuff (fliers, posters, album art, Song Fight art, zines) Affinity (Photoshop rival) is offering the bundle of Designer/Photo/Publisher for $99.99, permanent license - that’s NO subscription, huzzah! I’ve used Affinity Photo for years and love it; I hear it is rather similar to Photoshop.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, Affinity v1 was pretty janky but v2 fixes almost all of the jank and it's actually a nice alternative now. Also that $100 gives you a license for Mac, Windows, and iPad. It's an amazing deal and I made the switch a few weeks ago.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Purchased Affinity Photo and I'm not entirely happy with it. I do like all of the extra features that I'm not used to having and they will certainly come in handy. But the resizing and export features are like... completely stupid. I did manage to do cover art with it but used the old program to resize. I'll do some homework and go back and see if I can figure it out later.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

What was the resize/export method you were using before? Affinity’s is pretty similar to photoshop’s “save for web” which is pretty fast and easy when you get used to it, but it does need a little patience to get the hang of.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I was using photoscape where you simply hit resize with the new pixel and it would resize the project with no downgrade in quality and you could save as with a filetype and a filename. (I could have all three songfight art files in about thirty seconds or so.) This current headache is merely a learning curve but all the guides I've looked at are straightforward, simple and ineffective.

I'll get there, I'm just bitching about having to learn a proper program for a change.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hm, for that sort of thing I'd probably use ImageMagick, which is a command-line tool that you can write scripts for (although that isn't the easiest thing in the world if you're not already a programmer of some sort).

For the SF cover art uploader I'd be tempted to just finally make the SF uploader automatically resize stuff for everyone, since that is an annoying butthole thing to have to do and the original intention of "have three different images for different archive contexts" thing hasn't really been, y'know, relevant.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

It'd be super awesome if you could just upload any old size over 400x400 and have it work. Then again, if I had the vaguest idea what Spud wanted for the 150 and 100 pixel art (different in what way?) then I could easily do that as well.

Affinity is going to save me so much time on editing it won't be funny. But it's going to cost me time on all the mundane things I usually do. That's only partially due to the learning curve but at least it'll get much better if I force myself to use it for (almost) everything. I've never used Photoshop etc., so I'm really a beginner when it comes to work flows in photo editing. I will say that I have figured out "work arounds" for a ton of art fight entries.
Last edited by Pigfarmer Jr on Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah. Although this is getting pretty off-topic for the thread. Maybe we could move the chat to discord?
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

SynthMaster 2 and SynthMaster One, both among the more affordable and fairly powerful synth plugins, are currently on sale for up to 70% off, plus an extra 15% off (so up to ~74.5% off total) with the coupon "YMLP15OFF".

Both plugins have the same audio engine but SynthMaster One is a little trimmed down, meaning it might be the better choice for people who don't want to get too crazy.

Deals without the extra coupon:
SynthMaster One $29
SynthMaster 2 $39
Both plugins $59
"Everything" bundle (both plugins and all preset packs) $159; includes a free upgrade to SynthMaster 3 which is still in development. However I'm not sure the preset packs are actually worth that much...

Some people on the internet complain about stability issues; I used it for a while and it worked fine for me but YMMV.

Upgrades are discounted, too.
Valid until January 8th.
https://www.kv331audio.com/index.aspx
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Wow — amplitube 5 guitar amp simulation is on sale for just $49 and add-on collections are $29.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/?S1=457

Edited to say that ikMultimedia's T-Racks mastering suite is also on for $49
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Presonus mics with built in fx are a good deal
https://www.presonus.com/en-US/misc%2Fm ... 00201.html
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Today's SDotD is a pair of Mackie Monitors for $50. I have these and they are decent enough. Used them as my studio monitors until I upgraded and now use them with a turntable for casual listening.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

Mackie CR3-X 3" Powered Studio Monitors Limited-Edition Gold Trim (Pair)
The CR3-X 3" Creative Reference multimedia monitors from Mackie offer studio-quality sound with cosmetics that complement any desk whether you’re making music, creating content or just relaxing to your favorite tunes. CR3-X 3" monitors feature a sleek design with a brushed metal panel and distinct outline, plus a convenient front-panel headphone ... Read More

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Good deal on a large diaphragm condenser mic as the SDotD today:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 1000000000

Down to $60 from $200. If you're just starting out and you're on a budget, this could be a really good "real" mic. You'll have to pair it with an audio interface that has phantom power though. There are many options for those though under $100.
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

BFD3, the virtual drum plugin, is currently on sale over at Audio Plugin Deals for $99. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it, by far.
https://audioplugin.deals/product/bfd3/

(edit: never mind, I posted a sale price of $49 in the past. Still, it's significantly cheaper than full price...)