Least-shitty distribution and manufacturing channels

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Least-shitty distribution and manufacturing channels

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The songtradr website shows nothing about free + % options. Is it an option once you create an account? Also, the monthly cost is $19.99 which is less than the $22.99/month currently charged by distrokid. I wonder what, if any, differences there are in the services.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Huh, I guess Songtradr's free plan is no longer available for new users. Must be a fairly recent change; some of the search engines still show the free option in their snippets.

That leaves the following free options:

Amuse (limited to 1 release/month; release after ~4 weeks; 0% commission; fairly low number of distribution targets, much like Soundrop)
Fresh Tunes (release delayed 14 days; 0% commission; Facebook/Google account required for sign up; can't use existing UPC/ISRC so can't really move existing releases to FT)
RouteNote (release delayed ~5 days (or more?); 15% commission)
Unchained Music (released typically delayed 3~5 days; 0% commission; first $30 of income locked until you close your account)
UnitedMasters (limited to 1 release/month; release delayed ~10 days (?); 10% commission)
Vibeable (unlimited artists in a single account; release delayed ~5 days; 15% commission)

PS. I've done no more than cursory testing on these distributors. All of the info is from their websites.
Last edited by jast on Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:17 am
The songtradr website shows nothing about free + % options. Is it an option once you create an account? Also, the monthly cost is $19.99 which is less than the $22.99/month currently charged by distrokid. I wonder what, if any, differences there are in the services.
Side note, they're yearly costs, not monthly. :)
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Aye. Thanks for the response.

ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Bummer about the Songtradr thing not being FREE anymore... I know that they changed things a few months ago... where they made all the FREE accounts only able to release X releases by only 1 artist per year (it used to be unlimited releases by unlimited artists which was admittadly too good to be true...), which I know because I was struggling to try and release a bunch of different "artist" releases before the change happened... but I failed. Boo.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

So hey, it turns out that tunecore has finally gotten with the times and have adjusted their pricing to be Good, Actually. They seem like a better deal than DistroKid now. Their $15/year unlimited plan is a bit better than distrokid’s $25/year plan (with support for scheduled releases and custom ISRCs), for example, and they have a few other service levels that are similarly useful and competitive.

They still offer their shitty legacy pricing though. Why pay $15/year for unlimited uploads when you can pay $10/year for each individual song? So weird.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I like that you can pay $15/year per band and do almost 5 bands for the same price as Distrokid's label level which I was subscribing to because of all the side projects.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Used Soundrop for that double album tribute thing that Vom and I were a part of back in June (ish.) Setting up was harder than on distrokid but not by a lot. A buck a song for each cover, one time fee. Their reporting seems very simple and undetailed but those songs haven't received many streams/listens so it's hard to tell what reporting time etc., is looking like. It was a pain in the rear to get everyone set up (like 11 artists for each album) but I think that would have been only slightly less cumbersome with distrokid.

I'm thinking of releasing something original just to see the difference. Also, I have one album released through distrokid that has one cover on it and that extra fee every year is sort of pissing me off.... I might try to remove it from distrokid and put it up through soundrop. Maybe.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

That link has been updated... which link? The one comparing distribution options:
https://aristake.com/digital-distribution-comparison/

I hate to agree with Fluffy *wink, wink* after spending so much arguing a couple of years ago, but in the article it mentions this about cdbab:
Long story short, the rate that Spotify paid CD Baby per stream, was not the rate that CD Baby paid out to their artists.
If Spotify indicated that a song earned $.007 for a stream in the US from a premium subscriber, and $.0008 for a stream in India from an ad-supported account, CD Baby didn’t pay these rates out to their artists. Instead, they combined them into their own ‘bundled’ rates and paid $.003 for both.

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Funny thing is my opinion on CDBaby had changed somewhat since they've restructured their pricing to actually be pretty okay these days. But wow I didn't realize they were taking that big of a cut, jeeze.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

Thanks for that link comparing them all and mentioning Soundrop @Pigfarmer Jr, finally going to put the rest of our Photovoltaik tracks up on Streaming/Digital Storefronts as our 2nd release included a Cover Song which forced me to not upload it with Distrokid as it wasn't worth paying yearly fees on a song that would never (barely ever) be purchased. Going to have to check into switching the EP from Distrokid to Soundrop as well now too.
-Ujn Hunter
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

ujnhunter wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:36 pm
Thanks for that link comparing them all and mentioning Soundrop @Pigfarmer Jr,
So the drawback to soundrop is they only release to 23 platforms rather than 100+ on some of the others. Routenote also takes 15% with no fee (if my research is correct) so I think I'm gonna try that one next.

If anyone has experience with Routenote, feel free to elucidate.

ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

Well, at least the 23 platforms include the only platforms that I'd really care about... (obviously 100+ broad scope getting seen in as many places as possible is great... but you're really only being seen on like 3 of the 100+ platforms IRL anyhow) and the Cover Song license is what seals it for me and for $0.99 a song one time, I'm fine with that, unless you try Routenote and find that it's above and beyond... their "Free" tier sounds like what Songtradr had too... and they've since changed it... so I'm not sure I would be 100% comfortable trusting that Routenote won't change at some point too.
-Ujn Hunter