Getting back to the grindstone

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
SilverPixie
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Flute
Recording Method: ACID, Audacity, UTAU
Submitting as: WTFBBS, The Various Artists

Getting back to the grindstone

Post by SilverPixie »

After basically stepping away from all music making for the past couple of years (Had a HDD crash during the last Nur Ein I was in and I just was like, walk away, Pixie, it's a sign to take a break), I have all of these songs floating in my head that, for some reason, I can't get out, even on paper. Those of you who've hit road blocks or taken a break from the creative process, what did you do to get back on track?
"A pounding beat that makes me pump fist, that makes me smile like I've just been kissed."
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Getting back to the grindstone

Post by jb »

I forced it. I made myself just make the song and forget about making it good. It's still hard-- I make a lot of little snippets and doodles, and I stop even though I can hear that there would be a song there. For me, lyrics are painful to create. So I have to release some of my inner criticism in the effort to just get something done. Otherwise I'll be frozen.

Now if only I can get myself to do the same thing regarding web apps, maybe I won't have to look for a real job.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

I hardly did anything creatively before Song Fight. I wanted to, but just never could reach critical mass.

Nothing focuses the mind like a hard deadline. Limit your choices and the scope of your ideas or you'll drown in them. Song Fight conveniently helps in both of these areas. Perfect is the enemy of done, strive for done. If what you create doesn't live up to your standards, there is always the next fight.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Make an appointment. Sit with the empty page until something fills it up. Give yourself some space to be creative.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang