How to play guitar better/lessons videos or websites

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

How to play guitar better/lessons videos or websites

Post by ken »

Hi All,
I've been randomly trying short guitar lessons on youtube and am wondering if anyone has a favorite site they're using or know about. I'm not sure exactly what topics I'm interested in, but the first few have been about soloing. Something I'm just not very good at. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: How to play guitar better/lessons videos or websites

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Oh, please people... please answer this. I wanna know, too.

Tangentially related: There's a new facebook group (january practice month something or other) started by a filk artist and fawm founder (Eric Distad) that encourages everyone to practice so many minutes a day in January. I've already started. I picked a song and used youtube vidoes to learn how to play it. I can't decide if I should continue to learn songs on guitar (as I've lost most technical ability since I quit the cover band 10 years ago) or focus on voice or drums. Voice would do the most good, drums is the most needed. Guitar is the most rewarding. *shrug*

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1929915757062174/
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

I've watched a lot of musical education videos on YouTube, and I've learned quite a bit of theory since I started participating in SongFight over three years ago. I love, love, love YouTube and have learned so much from it. I could watch YouTube all day, and sometimes I do.

Since Ken specifically asked about guitar soloing, here is one of my favorites on the topic. This first one is the start of a 4 part series on chord tone soloing, which helps you play more melodic solos by targeting chord tones of the underlying progression instead of randomly playing say the G major (or E minor pentatonic) scale over a G major progression.

This next video really helped me to hear what the modes sound like on the guitar. It teaches you three different triad shapes (Major, Minor, Diminshed) rooted on the D string which allows you to play these three chord qualities while also droning the open A string. This helps you reason about (and hear) all the modes in A. I find this guy annoying for various reasons, but I really got a lot out of this one lesson. And to this day, this is my go-to method for fooling around with the modes. It also instilled in me a love for triad chords, and inspired me to learn them (and their inversions) on all of the string sets.

Speaking of triads, this video about harmonizing the major scale using triads on the G-B-E string set was super enlightening to me, and is something I fool around with a lot.

Here is another video about how to create great sounds with triads, also using a rhythmic throbbing open A in the bass.

I'm gonna throw in some of my favorite music theory videos just because I can. This one helped me understand "functional" harmony, or why certain chords sound good next to other chords.

Omg, I love everything this next guy does. His videos are so mind-blowing and have pro-style production values that I really appreciate. Let's talk about modal interchange!

Ok, so let's say you really want to get serious about music theory. There are a bunch of fabulous videos from Dr. Christopher Brellochs who has taught music theory at SUNY for over 20 years. He has made 47 of his classroom lectures at the whiteboard available on YouTube. He is an amazing teacher with lots of passion for the subject. I just discovered him today while researching secondary dominants. I was blown away by his lesson #35 on the subject.

"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

From the "almost but not quite what you asked for" department: TrueFire.com; long form lessons/classes, mostly not free. Their app combined with a modeler like Amplitube on the phone/tablet is something I'm enjoying using.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:56 am
From the "almost but not quite what you asked for" department: TrueFire.com; long form lessons/classes, mostly not free. Their app combined with a modeler like Amplitube on the phone/tablet is something I'm enjoying using.
That looks pretty good. They have a 30day free trial. Do you know how much a typical lesson costs after that?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Free to $50 is the range I've seen for a course; they'll post free lessons from the courses on their Twitter feed and in the app (I think, I usu. buy the $5 ones).
Last edited by Rabid Garfunkel on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump

Here's a starting point... there's a lot going on in there

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 12.27.47 PM.jpg