Good free Android podcast app

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Good free Android podcast app

Post by Lunkhead »

Anybody got any first-hand recommendations? I just want to use one so I can listen to Song Fight via the RSS feed since that apparently makes it so the music keeps playing even when the screen goes to sleep. I tried the Google Podcasts app but in order to use it it was asking me to allow Google to save all my search and browsing history across all their services. WTF??? No thanks! (I have tried where possible to disable as much Google data collection.)
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Re: Good free Android podcast app

Post by vowlvom »

I'm interested in this too. I was initially using Spotify but I kinda like to keep my music and podcasts separate. I've been using Google Podcasts but recently I've been downloading episodes then going back to play them and they're no longer downloaded, which kinda defeats the point (and cuts into my data allowance).

I haven't actually tried listening to fights via the podcast link but I guess it would be easier than manually downloading, as I have been for the last couple of years.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

This is a list of some good ones.

https://time.com/5136033/best-podcast-a ... /?amp=true

I use pocketcasts on an iPhone, and it’s also on android, but had some trouble with the songfight feed specifically (it only grabs the first 10 songs unless I unsubscribe and resubscribe each time). Your experience on android might be different for that. In the end I downloaded overcast just for songfight, which also helps keep my feed tidy for other podcasts in pocketcasts, as I keep the songs for the duration of the fight and re-listen to them. Overcast has no android version unfortunately, but there are a few others in that list you should look at. I hear stitcher mentioned a lot.

Edited to add: most of these apps will auto-archive or delete unless you change the settings for the subscription to keep them. They also don’t all automatically play one after the other unless you make a playlist.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I use Podcast Republic, which I mostly like, but it sometimes has trouble finding things that are rare, like Song Fight!
but hey I just tried it and it's there. Search for "songfight".
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I tried Stitcher. Open the app, sign up required to use it at all. WTF? I just want an app I can paste the Song Fight RSS URL into and listen to the damn podcast. >:(
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Podcast Republic so far hasn't bugged me to log in or anything else but sadly it's acting very flaky trying to ingest and subscribe to the Song Fight RSS. :(