Strange music artifact

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Strange music artifact

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Have you ever noticed how music sounds about half a step lower if heard faintly? For example, say I have music piped through my headphones, but I'm not yet wearing them. I play something, and I can faintly hear the music playing from the headphones, maybe eight feet away. It sounds half a step lower than it's supposed to. Then I don the headphones and the music suddenly sounds like it's now in the correct key. I've noticed this odd artifact my whole life. Can anyone explain what causes this effect?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Strange music artifact

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Could it be the Doppler effect such as displayed by a moving train blowing its whistle? But that would only be with moving sound sources, right? So if you bring the headphones to your ear it may appear to change in pitch. Maybe?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

That's not it. It's not the act of moving the headphones, it's that the music sounds lower when heard faintly from the stationary headphones
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Interesting, I've always felt that music sounds a tiny bit higher played at very high volumes...

The other thing is easy to explain, though. Those weak sound waves simply get more tired on their way to you.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I've never noticed a pitch change but there's a lot of weird psychological effects that can occur based on perception, like hearing different frequency ranges might affect the perception for the same reason pianos use stretch tuning. Not to mention the whole Laurel/Yanny thing, which is absolutely frequency-range-dependent.

Do you have perfect pitch, by any chance? I do, and that might be a factor.

(also for the doppler effect to be an issue you'd need the headphones to be moving at 20 meters per second to get a half-step change)
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Holy shit brains are weird. I just looked up the Yanny Laurel thing again (which I’d only ever heard as Yanny myself), and found this slider on the NY Times that changes the frequencies so you can hear both.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

At around the same time as Yanni/Laurel there was this gem which was less well-circulated:

Does it say "brainstorm" or "green needle?" It depends on which of the two you're thinking of!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

fluffy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:17 pm
(also for the doppler effect to be an issue you'd need the headphones to be moving at 20 meters per second to get a half-step change)
To be fair, we work really, really fast to meet deadlines, sometimes. Gotta get those headphones on in a hurry. ;)

(I said sometimes.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I only hear Laurel... or Yaley when sliding towards "Yanny". So weird. Also that Brainstorm/Green Needle thing is weird too... You can get it to say Brain Needle or Green Storm. I feel weird now...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.