Mixing on headphones

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Mixing on headphones

Post by Lunkhead »

This came up in the latest Nur Ein round's reviews. Here are good reads to start:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... headphones
https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-m ... eadphones/
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/mixin ... great-mix/

The main things to worry about are low frequencies and panning.
Because headphones sit so close your ears, high frequencies sound louder than they actually are. To compensate, headphone manufacturers add a high-frequency roll-off.
Because you don’t FEEL the bass thumping in your chest, like you do with monitors…some headphones compensate with a slight bass boost.
Because headphones struggle to reproduce the LOWEST OCTAVE of bass frequencies…some compensate with an additional boost to the higher octaves of bass frequencies.
The problem is, stereo images sound noticeably wider on headphones compared to monitors.

And it’s no surprise, since studio monitors sit in front of you…and headphones sit over your ears.

Also, there’s the problem of center-panned instruments. On monitors, they sound like they’re out in front of you. On headphones, they sound like they’re between your ears.
Go easy on the panning, keep things balanced, and keep in mind how panning may effect the apparent loudness of a track in your mix very differently on headphones vs speakers.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Mixing on headphones

Post by Lunkhead »

Also get some mixing oriented headphones.

I actually mostly mix on headphones, mostly because of the convenience of it not making much noise anybody else can hear. I use my mini monitor speakers to check things, but, I don't love those speakers and I don't know that they're doing a lot for me other than just providing one other mix reference point.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Mixing on headphones

Post by crumpart »

One thing I've found helpful recently was some advice I saw on youtube to chuck a Direction Mixer on the stereo track, take out all the width and turn it off/on from time to time to make sure your decisions still sound good when heard in mono. I haven't done it so much recently but am going to start making more use of it again.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!