Rebalancing/splitting fully mixed songs

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Rebalancing/splitting fully mixed songs

Post by jast »

Can't believe anyone posted this yet... in these modern days, there are tools to split/remove e.g. vocals from a finished mix that don't sound completely terrible. You get 4-5 separate tracks out of them (think bass/drums/vocals/misc), and/or a set of faders to re-balance these parts of the audio.

One of these is Deezer's Spleeter - open source! For a convenient free web interface that doesn't even require registration, how about this one: https://splitter.ai/ - and here's an example, using the MP3 submission of my last SF winner track and removing the vocals from it:
oolnovox-spleeter.mp3
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
Another is iZotope's RX 8. In RX 7 this feature already existed but I thought Spleeter sounded a little better. RX 8 manages to outperform both in my opinion. The downside, of course, is that it's not free. Here's an example using the same source file:
oolnovox-rx8.mp3
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
PS. using an MP3 file as the source exposes some of the psychoacoustic destruction of the MP3 codec, in addition to any processing artifacts. I didn't have an uncompressed version of the original mix handy, though. Sorry.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Rebalancing/splitting fully mixed songs

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, that's pretty cool. I recently used RX 7 to remove the bleed of drum stick clicks from a bass guitar track. (The bass was recorded through a mic'd amp, not direct.) It worked surprisingly well! This kind of stuff is up there with polyphonic autotune in being very mind blowing.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Rebalancing/splitting fully mixed songs

Post by ujnhunter »

If you wanted a local copy of Spleeter that doesn't require a bunch of crazy Python install stuff (Windows 10 only though)... https://makenweb.com/#spleetergui I have used this in the past to try and split some instrument files to use for transcribing purposes... much easier than trying to transcribe bass from a full mix for me. I haven't tried RX7/8 yet...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.